As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    We must build a better radio telescope!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    huh there was like, vegetation and a big hollow space under there, neat

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Holy crap that thing was ginormous.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Kind of had to be. Though these days most radio observatories being built just use an array of smaller dishes spread way out. But Arecibo was just this massive thing... it's a real shame to see it go just on account of it looking pretty cool on account of being this massive empty bowl in the woods.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Kind of had to be. Though these days most radio observatories being built just use an array of smaller dishes spread way out. But Arecibo was just this massive thing... it's a real shame to see it go just on account of it looking pretty cool on account of being this massive empty bowl in the woods.

A dish array has better resolution (sees finer details) than a large single dish. However, a large single dish has better sensitivity (sees fainter signals) than an array of smaller dishes.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    It's clear then.

We need an array of giant dishes.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    On the moon

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We need a gravitational wave detector the size of like, the earth's orbit around the sun

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    We need a gravitational wave detector the size of like, the earth's orbit around the sun

This made me realize you could do a Lagrange point one, and apparently a budget proposal for it was written a decade ago. Just needs a bit over a billion in funding. With approx 2.5m km between them, that's a pretty decent sensitivity.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Not big enough. Three stations, one each at L3, L4, and L5. Baseline of over 1.5AU or something like that…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Which lagrange points are we talking about, the earth-moon points or the sol-earth points

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yes.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Which lagrange points are we talking about, the earth-moon points or the sol-earth points

Sol-Earth. I considered Sol-Jupiter but the transmission times get silly. Plus it’s not like we need to be able to detect flare activity on Proxima Centauri, right?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Not big enough. Three stations, one each at L3, L4, and L5. Baseline of over 1.5AU or something like that…

L3 is an interesting choice. You can't put something directly at L3, as it is unstable, so you'd either waste a lot of fuel, or need to be in a slightly erratic orbit, which would need to be compensated for (more so than L4/L5).
    Then, you also wouldn't be able to directly get the feed from L3; the Sun's in the way, so you'd have to feed it via a relay. This is easily resolved - after all, you have L4/L5 as part of the system anyway, but now you have to add additional transmission camabilities to the stations. I mean, they're already the biggest most sensitive radio listening dishes in the solar system, so I'm sure we could handle this, but I do worry about cross-contamination of signal. Some dishes on earth have been shown to be sensitive to the microwave being used in the kitchen, and now we want to be targeting them with a secondary signal containing the raw data feed of one something also as sensitive as itself?
    It's not to say these problems are insurmountable, just that L3 is complicated, and might require solution engineering such that it might actually be easier and cheaper to just go with the Jupiter lagrange points anyway.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

L3 is an interesting choice. You can't put something directly at L3, as it is unstable, so you'd either waste a lot of fuel, or need to be in a slightly erratic orbit, which would need to be compensated for (more so than L4/L5).
    Then, you also wouldn't be able to directly get the feed from L3; the Sun's in the way, so you'd have to feed it via a relay. This is easily resolved - after all, you have L4/L5 as part of the system anyway, but now you have to add additional transmission camabilities to the stations. I mean, they're already the biggest most sensitive radio listening dishes in the solar system, so I'm sure we could handle this, but I do worry about cross-contamination of signal. Some dishes on earth have been shown to be sensitive to the microwave being used in the kitchen, and now we want to be targeting them with a secondary signal containing the raw data feed of one something also as sensitive as itself?
    It's not to say these problems are insurmountable, just that L3 is complicated, and might require solution engineering such that it might actually be easier and cheaper to just go with the Jupiter lagrange points anyway.

alright you've convinced me, gundams it is

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Gundamnit

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Gundamnit

That's no zaku

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Or... just use L2 or something? That avoids the issues of communication easily and I think actually creates a slightly bigger triangle anyways. Still has stability issues, but.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

This made me realize you could do a Lagrange point one, and apparently a budget proposal for it was written a decade ago. Just needs a bit over a billion in funding. With approx 2.5m km between them, that's a pretty decent sensitivity.

Oh that's cheap.

What kind of materials can you use for these in space? I assume inflatable dishes are out of the question?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

alright you've convinced me, gundams it is

Look if we get Plasky particles in real life, i'm all for it. Fuck any actual useful technological applications, just give me real life build fighters.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Personally Im gunning for Veritechs.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Sol-Earth. I considered Sol-Jupiter but the transmission times get silly. Plus it’s not like we need to be able to detect flare activity on Proxima Centauri, right?

Jupiter is the jovian sub system fyi

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210308-rubber-the-wonder-material-we-are-running-out-of
    Climate change, capitalism and disease are threatening to strike a mortal blow to the world's rubber trees. Do we need to find alternative sources of rubber before it's too late?

But how has such an important commodity fallen into such peril in the first place?

The global supply of natural rubber – around 20 million tonnes per year – is produced almost entirely by fragmented smallholders working tiny plots of land in tropical forests. Millions of these workers tend to plantations in Thailand, Indonesia, China and West Africa, carefully stripping bark from the trees to extract a milky white sap which is shaped into sheets and dried in the sun. Between them, these farmers provide 85% of the world's natural rubber supply.

But this fragile supply is under threat. A native of the Brazilian rainforest, the rubber tree Hevea brasiliensis is no longer grown commercially in the country due to the prevalence of South American leaf blight, a catastrophic pathogen which killed off the country's rubber industry in the 1930s. Strict quarantine controls have kept the disease contained to the South America for now, but arrival in Asia is thought to be almost inevitable.

In the meantime, farmers elsewhere in the world still face local pathogens such as white root disease and other leaf blights that have made the leap from neighbouring oil palm plantations. Climate change is also exerting its toll – Thailand's rubber production has been hit by droughts and flooding in recent years, with the latter also further spreading disease-causing microbes across growing regions.

A growing demand for rubber and short supply should be good news for the farmers, as it would make rubber more profitable to grow. Unfortunately, that's not the case. The price of rubber is set by the distant Shanghai Futures Exchange, where brokers speculate on value of this material alongside gold, aluminium, and fuel. "The pricing has nothing do with the cost of production," says Robert Meyer, co-founder of rubber buyer Halcyon Agri. Because of this arrangement, the price of rubber per tonne can vary three-fold from one month to the next, and in recent years has been held at very low values.
    FF4UWqQ.png

Peas on
    natural rubber is useful but it's also a minority of the actual amount of rubber produced compared to synthetic rubber. Can you guess what synthetic rubber is made out of? That's right! It's fucking oil!
    FF4UWqQ.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I honestly didnt know natural rubber was still even a thing I came away from King Leopold's Ghost thinking it was totally toast

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    edited March 2021
    Apparently all the tires in the world uses a mixture of natural rubber together with synthetic rubber, it's like a 40/60 mix
    FF4UWqQ.png

Peas on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Realistically we want multiple big detectors so we can triangulate stuff

edited March 2021
    Habitable Exoplanets | In Search of Earth 2.0 27:54
    https://youtu.be/tlTfOJFSIGY
    Thousands of exoplanets have been discovered, only a select few show promise. Here we look at some of the most habitable exoplanets ever discovered ranked through their similarity to Earth. The result is a list of 16 exoplanets that could one say serve as an Earth 2.0

Peas on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Glynn Lunney has died.

Which probably prompts a question like "Who is Glynn Lunney?". Which is sad, because he's one of the greats of the Apollo-era NASA program. One of the great Flight Directors, who helped define the role alongside greats like Gene Krantz and Chris Kraft. Glynn Lunney led the mission control team during key moments of the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and Shuttle era, including being one of the people most responsible for saving Apollo 13. A spaceflight legend, someone who truly pushed out the barriers of human possibility and advancement.
    In an interview with Andrew Chaikin, author of Voices from the Moon, Mattingly recalled the impact of Lunney in the immediate aftermath of the explosion, before the flight controllers knew what had happened or whether they could save the crew.

"Nobody knew what the hell was going on," Mattingly recalled in Chaikin's account. "And Glynn walked in, took over this mess. And he just brought calm to the situation. I've never seen such an extraordinary example of leadership in my entire career. Absolutely magnificent. No general or admiral in wartime could ever be more magnificent than Glynn was that night. He and he alone brought all of the scared people together."

He said Lunney was able to restore the team's confidence, telling them their first job was to figure out what happened, what options were available and then "we'll just get on with this thing."

"Glynn walked in there, and he just kind of took charge," Mattingly said. "At that point, nobody would even think of saying anything about disasters ... it's just professionalism at its finest. That was all exclusively caused by one Glynn Lunney. Absolutely the most magnificent performance I've ever watched."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/glynn-lunney-died-nasa-flight-director-who-played-key-role-in-apollo-13-dead-age-84/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_oorb24lrg

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    May he break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Look I know this is a free web-tool for predicting protein structures, it's really cool that that exists so I'm not complaining here

I'm just saying, if I put some amino acid sequence in and the completion time is "45 minutes ±40 minutes"

that is one hell of a set of error bars

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    For those of you who do not see the DnD Cocaine Addiction thread, er I mean Lego thread, Lego today released a very large Space Shuttle Discovery model, the largest Shuttle they've ever made. It is specifically Discovery from STS-31 and comes with a scale Hubble Telescope that can be carried and deployed out of the bay.

x4x5uj6mfudj.jpg

I of course ordered it immediately.

It might only be for VIP members right now, but that is free to sign up for.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nope, even us plebs can order it! Mine is on the way. I grew up tracking the Hubble mission through 321 Contact magazine when I was a wee bairn, this is probably the lego set most precisely calculated to open my wallet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    There will be the Ulysses Probe, also built to the same scale, that will be available at some point soon but only for vip points.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

3-2-1 Contact was such a cool show!

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It would be pretty neat if a while after you ordered that, LEGO sent a replacement mirror for the Hubble, explaining that the one in the set was flawed.

ChicoBlue wrote: »
    It would be pretty neat if a while after you ordered that, LEGO sent a replacement mirror for the Hubble, explaining that the one in the set was flawed.

There is literally a section that attaches to it to represent this!

• DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Well crap I may have to get one of those.

This discussion has been closed.