As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Ive had much worse grinds in modern games than to grind out 25bps for a bottle cap.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Ya bp farming is just brainlessly grinding the battle tower, it's easy. But doing pokemon battles in game is such a chore. I always found the queue was like 3-5 minutes in s&s. Then gigantamax made everything take ages anyway. Doing a bunch of prep work for long waits and slow battles just wasn't worth it. I'm also not a huge fan of how tight the meta game ends up. It's always a pool of like 20 pokemon in some combination and some people try fringe strats with a small handful of others. So many pokemon are completely useless, which kind of goes against the main message of training with your pokemon friends and overcoming anything with your favorites.

I think people just like collecting things and pokemon just has so many that people like. Where if you look at temtem, none of the monsters are particularly inspired and no one really cares about them. Yokai watch did well in japan because it's made up of japanese folklore and stuff like that. Digimon has monsters people like, but the gameplay was terrible in most of the games, which is a pretty low bar when pokemon is just turn based hitting weaknesses to 1 shot.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    They definitely made a mistake allowing legendaries for the last season.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Cruor wrote: »
    If they make IVs normalize it'll make breeding for a minimum speed Pokemon harder/impossible depending on the implementation. If they go that route they'd have to just let you choose your IVs in online battles ala Pokemon Showdown. If you remove the ability to customize your Pokemon through breeding they need to reintroduce it elsewhere.

Besides, bottlecaps are SUPER plentiful. If you want all max IVs on something, you can have them super quick and easy.

How quick and easy is quick and easy? Like can you briefly explain what it's like getting bottlecaps in Sw/Sh and how long a non-experienced player would expect that to take, realistically? Sometimes long term fans have gotten used to something deeply stupid because it's always been that way. Then you'll see community posts like "MASSIVE QoL improvement, you no longer have to castrate rats individually, there's a button to cue that up in sleep mode now so that you can..." and they can't even hear how utterly insane and unacceptable the whole thing is.

If you have beaten the game, you should have Eternatus. Pump him full of rare candies/XP candies that you should have gotten just by beating the game to get him to level 100. Run just about any max raid, even solo, by spamming his attack that does more damage to dynamax opponents. That makes those raids easy, and those raids drop bottle caps with surprising frequency.

Also, just by doing this your getting a ton of currency to trade to the digging bros, who can dig up regular bottle caps and even golden bottle caps. So, all in all, very easy to get.

Cruor on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Hmm. I suppose yeah, the loot from max raids did make much of the grind go away in many regards.

Still, I haven't really felt any desire to touch Shield since completing the national dex (pre-expansions). I might just be done with the series after having played since the beginning.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Ive had much worse grinds in modern games than to grind out 25bps for a bottle cap.

If you have Home its as easy as not touching it for a month and getting a shit ton of points you'll rarely spend

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

If you have Home its as easy as not touching it for a month and getting a shit ton of points you'll rarely spend

Or participating in single and/or double battles on battle spot, which will award you insane amounts of BP eventually, regardless of your rank.

And also the occasional bottle cap and other stuff.

RockinX on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    They definitely made a mistake allowing legendaries for the last season.
    and it's a mistake they'll make over and over again with their three-year cycle

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i have to remind myself to stay out of this thread, it's very negative and adds nothing to my experience.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Legends (and SWSH) looks like a Wii game.

They’re not making games for a little handheld anymore. They’re making games for something with power. There is no excuse for any of their stuff to look like this.

Look at Yo-kai Watch. That is slick and buttery smooth looking. With a big ol’ open world to explore.

Temtem as well looks nice and runs smooth. With all the actions and animations being very snappy.

edit- Or to put my thoughts in a more concise manner. The mainline Pokemon games are the undisputed industry leaders, yet somehow they're a decade behind the competition. The series barrels along under the sheer weight of its IP.

Truth be told, I beat SnS and had fun while doing it, I just wasn't left with much desire to replay it or do postgame, while I kinda lasted three hours into TemTem. If TemTem is "ten years ahead" of Pokemon then I guess I'm a retro grognard, apparently!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So I haven't touched this game since beating the post-game (pre-DLC). Still, I'm probably gonna get the DLC and play through it on spring break.

Part of the reason I haven't played is that I just don't like Dynamax/Gigantamax as a thing in competitive. It was cool in the story mode, but the opposite of fun to me in online play. Plus, they removed Mega Evolution (and my beloved Mega Beedrill).

I looked on Smogon for the first time in forever to see what Pokémon are considered the best...but Smogon has also banned Dynamax/Gigantamax from Pokémon Showdown, so I don't know how useful it even is for online matches in the actual games.

edited March 2021
    I miss the Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby days, when my Noivern/Milotic/Mega-Beedrill Battle Spot Singles team gave me more wins than I ever had before.

Pretty sure I can remember their move sets, too:

Noivern (aka Kekeesus) - Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Super Fang, Taunt
    Milotic (aka Gaulivee) - Blizzard, Recover, Scald, Toxic
    Mega Beedrill (aka Velansir) - Drill Run, Poison Jab, Protect, U-Turn

Noivern would handle the opponent's lead Pokémon, either by trying to deliver a one-hit KO, bypassing defense with Super Fang, or disabling status moves with Taunt. If Noivern was taken out I swapped to Mega Beedrill, finished-off the Pokémon with U-Turn, and switched to Milotic (whose Flame Orb would trigger, activating its defense-boosting ability and preventing other status effects from being imposed).

I'll never forget the match that came down to a Scalded Dragonite trying to Thunder Punch through Milotic over and over, only for Milotic to continuously Recover until the move ran out of PP and use Blizzard to finish off Dragonite.

I'll also never forget when my Heliolisk won a match for me by outspeeding and one-shotting the opponent's Garchomp with Hyper Beam, or when my Escavalier forced an opponent's Mewtwo out with Red Card before delivering a one-hit KO with Megahorn, or when my Toxicroak took down Mega Charizard X with Sucker Punch, or when my Gourgeist used Phantom Force to defeat Origin-Forme Giratina.

It's always the closest victories that are the most memorable.

Hexmage-PA on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So I haven't touched this game since beating the post-game (pre-DLC). Still, I'm probably gonna get the DLC and play through it on spring break.

Part of the reason I haven't played is that I just don't like Dynamax/Gigantamax as a thing in competitive. It was cool in the story mode, but the opposite of fun to me in online play. Plus, they removed Mega Evolution (and my beloved Mega Beedrill).

I looked on Smogon for the first time in forever to see what Pokémon are considered the best...but Smogon has also banned Dynamax/Gigantamax from Pokémon Showdown, so I don't know how useful it even is for online matches in the actual games.

If you want stats for in-game competitive, you'll want to look up VGC stats and sites as they deal with doubles rather than Smogon's focus on singles. A quick google looks like this is a repository for teams, quite a few of which come with explanatory writeups? https://victoryroadvgc.com/pokemon-sword-shield-rental-vgc-teams/

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited March 2021
    Went ahead and did an online "favorite Pokémon picker".

k366o1xaf4uy.jpg

It's kinda wild to me that I hardly like any of the Gen 1 designs now when they're the ones that hooked me in!

Just realized Noivern's not on here when it absolutely should be. Should've exchanged one of the Greninja's for it.

Hexmage-PA on
    Alright alright you got me to do it again. Looks like I'm up to 77 favorites now, with the bar drawn at "like more than Jigglypuff, a mon whose appreciation comes purely from Smash Bros."

rgbtcyvlm9aa.jpg

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    In trying to farm a perfect ditto in Let's Go Pikachu, I found a shiny chansey! And then didn't catch it because it ran away. And my catch combo broke. :(

Oh well. Having fun leveling up stuff to try and complete the pokedex while I hunt that ditto. But at some point I'll need to do some trading to fill in the the stuff I don't have from Let's Go Eevee.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Favorites picker is a neat idea. I've been trying to think of the smallest possible number I can use to adequately reflect my top favorites. Maybe 25? But even that seems too small given the sheer amount of Pokemon there are. Ever since Ruby/Sapphire, Gardevoire has been my #1, and I've always said that if I existed in the Pokemon universe, Gardevoire would be my partner Pokemon. But there are so many other good ones too. Perhaps I'll play around with it and see if I'm satisfied with a top 50 list.

Lucascraft on
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    In trying to farm a perfect ditto in Let's Go Pikachu, I found a shiny chansey! And then didn't catch it because it ran away. And my catch combo broke. :(

Oh well. Having fun leveling up stuff to try and complete the pokedex while I hunt that ditto. But at some point I'll need to do some trading to fill in the the stuff I don't have from Let's Go Eevee.

why, though?

camo_sig2.png

why, though?

You can transfer it into Sword/Shield via Pokemon Home! And Let's Go is maybe the easiest way to farm one other than those raids which seem like a pain in the ass.

Also if anyone's still playing Go, I could use more friends for quest purposes: 9995 9230 7702

Oh yah you can't breed dittos, silly me

camo_sig2.png
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Favorites picker is a neat idea. I've been trying to think of the smallest possible number I can use to adequately reflect my top favorites. Maybe 25? But even that seems too small given the sheer amount of Pokemon there are. Ever since Ruby/Sapphire, Gardevoire has been my #1, and I've always said that if I existed in the Pokemon universe, Gardevoire would be my partner Pokemon. But there are so many other good ones too. Perhaps I'll play around with it and see if I'm satisfied with a top 50 list.

Personally, the online picker I used had an option to only show fully-evolved/single stage Pokémon, so I limited my search to that so I wouldn't be using it all day.

It did force me to choose between Toxicroak and Mega Beedrill for my absolute favorite, which was tough, but ultimately I chose the one that was part of my most successful Battle Spot Singles team.

Hexmage-PA wrote: »

If you want stats for in-game competitive, you'll want to look up VGC stats and sites as they deal with doubles rather than Smogon's focus on singles. A quick google looks like this is a repository for teams, quite a few of which come with explanatory writeups? https://victoryroadvgc.com/pokemon-sword-shield-rental-vgc-teams/

So, this puts me in another weird situation, as I actually prefer singles to doubles...

I'm guessing no, but Sword and Shield haven't added a "no-Dynamaxing" option to online play, have they? Because...I just do not care for it and honestly hope it's either gone or optional in the next game (plus I want Mega Beedrill back).

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

why, though?

You can transfer it into Sword/Shield via Pokemon Home! And Let's Go is maybe the easiest way to farm one other than those raids which seem like a pain in the ass.

Also if anyone's still playing Go, I could use more friends for quest purposes: 9995 9230 7702

There's a whole island of dittos in the first s&s expansion, with a lair that almost always has dittos in it. It's super easy to farm 5iv dittos and sometimes get lucky with a 6.

I dunno if we'll ever get megas back, unless they decide to create a bunch of new mega evolutions. For the last few generations they seem intent on inventing something new and discarding the old. It's a trend that I personally do not like since I prefer megas to Z crystals and gigantimax. In my opinion their systems have been getting worse.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love gigantimax in the context of the stadium battles and the crowd roaring and the whole atmosphere they created in SwSh. I just don't think mechanically it's as fun a system as Mega Evolution.

RE: Favorites picker, the one I found when I googled it has the "final forms only" option, but it seems to be missing Alolan forms and it only has Galar forms if they're a new step in the evolutionary chain, and not a sidegrade.

This skews my choices, because for example I love Alolan Vulpix/Ninetails and I would rate those very highly. But I am not as fond of classic Vulpix/Ninetails and would rate those much lower. Same with Alolan Muk. Same with Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash. I greatly prefer the Galarian forms to the originals.

Enigmedic wrote: »

why, though?

There's a whole island of dittos in the first s&s expansion, with a lair that almost always has dittos in it. It's super easy to farm 5iv dittos and sometimes get lucky with a 6.

Hrm, how easy is this? Once I get up to a 31+ catch combo in Let's Go, i just have to encounter a ditto, check the power level for an 1150 or an 1152, and then either catch it or run away and keep looking. With catch combo that high I'm guaranteed 4 perfect IVs and just have to wait until the other two line up, which is taking quite a while, but still. I have a few that are almost perfect but have a 5 in one stat instead of a 6 and I'd love to just have a single perfect ditto.

I haven't played Sw/Sh in a while, what would be the plan to try and get a perfect one there? Is there any sort of catch combo or helpful item nonsense there? I tried the raid farming stuff for a while but that seemed tedious and tricky with restarting the switch and stuff.

Enigmedic wrote: »

why, though?

Hrm, how easy is this? Once I get up to a 31+ catch combo in Let's Go, i just have to encounter a ditto, check the power level for an 1150 or an 1152, and then either catch it or run away and keep looking. With catch combo that high I'm guaranteed 4 perfect IVs and just have to wait until the other two line up, which is taking quite a while, but still. I have a few that are almost perfect but have a 5 in one stat instead of a 6 and I'd love to just have a single perfect ditto.

I haven't played Sw/Sh in a while, what would be the plan to try and get a perfect one there? Is there any sort of catch combo or helpful item nonsense there? I tried the raid farming stuff for a while but that seemed tedious and tricky with restarting the switch and stuff.

Raid farming is the way to go - you just keep catching raid dittos and crossing your fingers. Strictly speaking, a perfect ditto is just a nice to have if you have a couple 4+ that cover all the stats anyways.

I lucked out and got a "totally legit" modest shiny foreign all perfect IV Ditto from a Home mystery trade. It's been very useful for me in breeding and also Matsuda-ing. I like to build mono-type teams and every team gets a shiny team captain (Poison Team has Shiny G-Weezing, and Water Team has Shiny Kingler).

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I still have a cloned perfect Ditto that a very kind person on these forums traded me back when Gen 4 was current. Back then you could set the RNG by changing the DS clock, and someone figured out how to rig it up to get a precise encounter with good timing.

I've been transferring and trading that Ditto for more than 10 years and using it to breed teams. IIRC it's still in my copy of Sun since I didn't bother getting into competitive with SS.

Just got Pokemon Home on my phone and learned that the next online competition is going to be Singles and disallow Dynamax/Gigantamax. Guess I picked a good time to get back into Pokémon!

edited March 2021
    Anybody up late with Let's Go Eevee and want to help me complete my dex in Let's Go Pikachu?

Still need: Meowth, Bellsprout, Pinsir and can trade back. Also need a Koffing I'd like to keep so I can level it to weezing. I'm SniperGuy#9212 on discord if you wanna ping me. (edit because oh whoops Pinsir is a let's go eevee exclusive)

Got it taken care of, shiny charm acquired!

SniperGuy on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Drascin wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Legends (and SWSH) looks like a Wii game.

They’re not making games for a little handheld anymore. They’re making games for something with power. There is no excuse for any of their stuff to look like this.

Look at Yo-kai Watch. That is slick and buttery smooth looking. With a big ol’ open world to explore.

Temtem as well looks nice and runs smooth. With all the actions and animations being very snappy.

edit- Or to put my thoughts in a more concise manner. The mainline Pokemon games are the undisputed industry leaders, yet somehow they're a decade behind the competition. The series barrels along under the sheer weight of its IP.

Truth be told, I beat SnS and had fun while doing it, I just wasn't left with much desire to replay it or do postgame, while I kinda lasted three hours into TemTem. If TemTem is "ten years ahead" of Pokemon then I guess I'm a retro grognard, apparently!

I’m talking presentation.

There is no reason for a Pokemon game to look like shit.

No excuse for it to run bad and for e-v-e-r-y a-c-t-i-o-n to take forever.

Yo-Kai watch looks great and they’re in the same goddamn building as Gamefreak.

Pokémon games should be some of the best looking games on the Switch.

Like that Legends trailer. If that was a trailer for a game made by an indie studio I’d be disappointed and would expect better. But they’re not a indie studio, they make more money than some nations.9

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.

PERFECT DITTO ACQUIRED

Now to work on making an actual competitive team, which is tricky because unlike something like say, MTG, I'm having a hard time finding a "Here's some competitive teams and how they work" resource. I'd love to use a dragapult, any recommendations for resources like this to help me have something to aim for?

https://www.smogon.com/

Smogon is a great source for movesets/EV spreads/general strategy. Dragapult is absolutely a great Pokemon and will do really well in a lot of teams.

Once you start getting comfortable with some of the roles and how to make them work you can start doing silly things like Monotype Teams or using lower tier pokemon in higher tiers of play (my water team, for instance, has the most annoying stall Cramorant in existence).

Smogon does seem useful for that, but how do I figure out a whole team comp? Movesets differ between different comps I think?

Smogon does seem useful for that, but how do I figure out a whole team comp? Movesets differ between different comps I think?

Eh, not a whole lot for most pokemon I think, unless they can be mixed attackers or something.

I matsuda'd a shiny impidemp before I set down Sword version. I've been thinking now's the time to pick it back up though. I bought the season pass but I never actually bothered to play either of the expansions. With 3 new Pokemon titles on the horizon, I'm feeling the itch to play again.

• VahraanVahraan Registered User regular

PERFECT DITTO ACQUIRED

Now to work on making an actual competitive team, which is tricky because unlike something like say, MTG, I'm having a hard time finding a "Here's some competitive teams and how they work" resource. I'd love to use a dragapult, any recommendations for resources like this to help me have something to aim for?

Are you looking for doubles or singles? I'll second smogon for singles at least, vgc can be a bit harder. Check out Cybertron productions and wolfey vgc for doubles videos, it gets you an idea of what's popular and the short of strategies you need to be ready for.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Well figure out what roles you want and then the pokemon that fit in it. Also if your doing online its 3v3 or doubles so thats a consideration too.

Like do you want a sweeper a tank and a support ? Sandstorm, rain ?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ...does Smogon still ban things like evasion moves and Pokemon they just don't know how to deal with? I mean, there was a time back in the day when they just community banned Mega Rayquaza because they felt it was too powerful and they were tired of seeing it every match...

They might be a great place to get the basics down, but it might be worth looking elsewhere for movesets and the like.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?