As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    This sounds like a failure to use password protection

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Well, yeah, but I wonder if you've never had children. It's a complicated situation for which easy answers are usually just uninformed opinions, let me just say that. The last thing you need to have to work on when trying to wrangle two kids is to also lock down all your systems better than most of the corporate world.

• GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    And let's not forget that kids are smart little buggers. And they're around you constantly. Even if you have password protection, all it takes is one device you left logged in, or him looking over your shoulder one time, and now he's in.

The only good thing is that kids think they're the smartest one in the room much earlier than they actually are, so it's usually easy to catch them when they're young. Clever teens are a bitch to stop though. The thinking capacity and build of an adult, with none of the experience to explain why their brilliant ideas won't work. Good fucking luck.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Well, yeah, but I wonder if you've never had children. It's a complicated situation for which easy answers are usually just uninformed opinions, let me just say that. The last thing you need to have to work on when trying to wrangle two kids is to also lock down all your systems better than most of the corporate world.

Yup.

Every system/device that's locked is one more that they'll need unlocked at the moment that is least convenient.

• BahamutEosBahamutEos Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice this comic doesn't seem to have a name?
    Also I think it's easier than ever for our children to steal from their parents. Only now video game companies are actively attempting to temp children to this life of crime.

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Super Stickers are animated pictures that you can spend money to pin at the top of the chat during a livestream or premiere on Youtube. The more money you spend on the sticker, the longer it will spend pinned to the top of the chat. There is a limit of $500 per day you can spend on stickers in this way.

edited March 2021
    My son (8 y.o. at the time) shoulder-surfed my wife's phone unlock pattern, so he could use the Google Family app on it to unlock his tablet when she was out of the room during the bedtime process, so he could then use his tablet under the covers after lights out.

dennis on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I guess I find 'stole my password' much more egregious than 'bought stuff on my account' so I was assuming that was not the case. Either way seems like an opportunity to explore some empathy and understanding of why stealing is detrimental. Not that I have any idea how to do that - as surmised, I do not have children of my own

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited March 2021
    Either way seems like an opportunity to explore some empathy and understanding of why stealing is detrimental. Not that I have any idea how to do that - as surmised, I do not have children of my own

Yeah, that second sentence is redundant. The thing about kids is that they don't really work nearly as logically as you would want, especially at younger ages. Plus they have almost zero concept of money from a practical standpoint, what with not having a job and bills and such. I mean, yeah, it's cute, get them to buy stuff. But where did they get that money? Probably from some adult who has a godlike amount of money when it comes to the kinds of things a kid would want to buy.

Even from the emotional standpoint, it's quite hard to explain. At least, in my experience. My oldest kid is non-neurotypical, so who knows how it will be when my five year-old gets his age. The other thing about being a parent is that your experience may differ vastly from other parents. Yet other parents give a lot of "advice" as well.

So what you'll find if you do have kids is that not only did you definitely not have any idea what you were talking about before you had kids, you still don't have any idea what you're doing and nobody else does, either. I think 90% of parenthood is trying not to traumatize them while running out the clock until they become fully human (mid-20s).

dennis on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I guess I find 'stole my password' much more egregious than 'bought stuff on my account' so I was assuming that was not the case. Either way seems like an opportunity to explore some empathy and understanding of why stealing is detrimental. Not that I have any idea how to do that - as surmised, I do not have children of my own

I highly doubt he stole his dads password, Mike probably just trusted him not to spend money on youtube and learned that trust can be broken.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »
    Super Stickers are animated pictures that you can spend money to pin at the top of the chat during a livestream or premiere on Youtube. The more money you spend on the sticker, the longer it will spend pinned to the top of the chat. There is a limit of $500 per day you can spend on stickers in this way.

That is a shocking limit and I had to read it twice to see that it really said $500 and not $50 or perhaps even $5.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    swaylow wrote: »
    Showsni wrote: »

That is a shocking limit and I had to read it twice to see that it really said $500 and not $50 or perhaps even $5.

Doesn't surprise me, Youtube is still trying to compete with twitch for live streams and part of competing is making sure content creators can get paid.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I can't see how it could go wrong if they've capped it at a reasonable, almost stingy, 500$ a day. That's what, 50 bananas?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm more surprised that there's even a limit.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm more surprised that there's even a limit.

YouTube doesn't want your wallet to get worn out too quick.

They like a little friction.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    I do feel we shouldn't delegate too much responsibility to the tech companies (or credit card companies or even the government) for this though.

Ultimately this isn't that much different from going into your mom's purse when she isn't looking, and it's just a part of parenting to have to figure out a way to let your kids know it's wrong.

Unless you want to call the police on them, which is a whole different discussion.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    I do feel we shouldn't delegate too much responsibility to the tech companies (or credit card companies or even the government) for this though.

Ultimately this isn't that much different from going into your mom's purse when she isn't looking, and it's just a part of parenting to have to figure out a way to let your kids know it's wrong.

Unless you want to call the police on them, which is a whole different discussion.

The caveat is that most moms don't have a purse that refills with $500 a day that they don't notice is missing until they check their account online. Most of the time, though, the issuing bank just reverses the charges and leaves the merchant holding the bag. As long as the golden goose keeps laying more than enough gilded eggs to more than cover that small percentage, some platforms are willing to live with that. So it's a kind of détente.

In the past, when people have called the police on their kid for similar things, it has sometimes backfired spectacularly. Even best case, I just picture a very uncomfortable officer thinking "what did I do in a past life to deserve being dropped in the middle of this?" Sooooo, yeah, whole other discussion.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Either way seems like an opportunity to explore some empathy and understanding of why stealing is detrimental. Not that I have any idea how to do that - as surmised, I do not have children of my own

Yeah, that second sentence is redundant. The thing about kids is that they don't really work nearly as logically as you would want, especially at younger ages. Plus they have almost zero concept of money from a practical standpoint, what with not having a job and bills and such. I mean, yeah, it's cute, get them to buy stuff. But where did they get that money? Probably from some adult who has a godlike amount of money when it comes to the kinds of things a kid would want to buy.

Even from the emotional standpoint, it's quite hard to explain. At least, in my experience. My oldest kid is non-neurotypical, so who knows how it will be when my five year-old gets his age. The other thing about being a parent is that your experience may differ vastly from other parents. Yet other parents give a lot of "advice" as well.

So what you'll find if you do have kids is that not only did you definitely not have any idea what you were talking about before you had kids, you still don't have any idea what you're doing and nobody else does, either. I think 90% of parenthood is trying not to traumatize them while running out the clock until they become fully human (mid-20s).

Just wanna emphasize that last part. A lot of people think that late teens is the end of it, but last I read neuroscience is saying the changes & development we associate with teenagers doesn't really level out until well into our 20's.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • jackreickeljackreickel DMV, USA East CoastRegistered User new member
    Normally, to extend a syllable with a hard-vowel sound, it would be more appropriate to repeat the consonant (lotttttttt) BUT Jerry has done something incredible here, because by repeating the vowel he conflated it into another word that *means stolen bounty* (loot). Proud of you Jerr

Normally, to extend a syllable with a hard-vowel sound, it would be more appropriate to repeat the consonant (lotttttttt) BUT Jerry has done something incredible here, because by repeating the vowel he conflated it into another word that *means stolen bounty* (loot). Proud of you Jerr

Who the fuck is repeating the consonant to indicate the stretching of a sound made by the vowel?

Who the fuck is repeating the consonant to indicate the stretching of a sound made by the vowel?

Most I do tops is add a few at the end to indicate a hard or soft finish to the word, "looooooooot" vs "looooooooottt"

If you ever see me add more than two call the police I'm being held hostage

Most I do tops is add a few at the end to indicate a hard or soft finish to the word, "looooooooot" vs "looooooooottt"

I mean, there are consonants that you can hold, like "s", "r", "v". We don't typically do that, but you can. But I can't for the life of me figure out a way to sustain a "t" that doesn't make me sound like I'm in the middle of a neurological event.

I mean, there are consonants that you can hold, like "s", "r", "v". We don't typically do that, but you can. But I can't for the life of me figure out a way to sustain a "t" that doesn't make me sound like I'm in the middle of a neurological event.

Definitely no good way that doesn't just turn in to a confusing s sound.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hooollllyyyy shiiittttttttttttttttttttttttt.

What is this I don't even.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

45rcay4fvyz3.jpg

MichaelLC wrote: »

45rcay4fvyz3.jpg

That motherfucker.

Seriously, though, he's not stretching the sound made by the vowel, but the consonant. So that makes sense.

edited March 2021
    I think he's some weird chibi creature now, but at least i remember him drawing out the 'r' and 'eat' - so more like grrrrrrreeeat

MichaelLC on
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I think he's some weird chibi creature now, but at least i remember him drawing out the 'r' and 'eat' - so more like grrrrrrreeeat

Nah. I checked youtube.