As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Qanamil wrote: »
    HH all wind negated song helps with Daora up to, like, the innermost worst tornado.

edit: and I get why they did it this way, but having flash just straight up no work later on is huge lameness.

If only I've ever used HH, at all.

I believe my starter horn you get is even still the base rank, or maybe upgraded once, and never touched beyond a couple of times in the training arena.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    HH all wind negated song helps with Daora up to, like, the innermost worst tornado.

edit: and I get why they did it this way, but having flash just straight up no work later on is huge lameness.

If only I've ever used HH, at all.

I believe my starter horn you get is even still the base rank, or maybe upgraded once, and never touched beyond a couple of times in the training arena.

I haven't used one myself but I have done hunts vs Daora with a friend who used one and OH BOY IS THAT SONG GOOD.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I used it in world briefly. I think I actually used it against kushala for windproof. Despite basically destroying it's head it felt like I wasn't doing any damage with it. I think I was using a fully upgraded nergi horn.

Maybe it will be good in rise. I heard it got a bit of a nerf from the demo.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The only way I found Kushala fights manageable was by using a dragonpiercer build. I think sticky ammo does a number on him too for LBG/HBG.

Capcom made melee against that thing an absolute chore.

jungleroomx on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular

You'd think it'd make more sense to have the power of flash bombs/pods restricted by limiting the total amount you can bring on a hunt to how much you can directly carry and combine from carried components.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

You'd think it'd make more sense to have the power of flash bombs/pods restricted by limiting the total amount you can bring on a hunt to how much you can directly carry and combine from carried components.

Might of worked in previous gens, but being able to enter the tent at camp to restock from your item box means even a solo hunt is technically only limited by the timer and the number of times they are willing to bail and run back to base in the middle of the fight.

steam_sig.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Finally watched movie. It was... fine.

Other than the music I didn't personally find it lacking but it definitely didn't feel like it was made "for" fans no matter what they say in the extras. Divorced from that it was a decent action flick with good creature effects, which is sometimes all people need. Anyone in this thread is well within their rights to dislike it and I won't (can't) defend it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I think monster hunter would be better suited as an anime rather than an action movie.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Time for more monster name trivia. This time, for the big pink bird.

A Japanese wiki suggests this of イャンクック / "Yian Kut-Ku"
    イャンクック = IYANKUKKU. IYA = ear, N = wordplay ("Ear N" sounds like "hearing"), KUKKU = cock, as in rooster. (The trailing U is silent, like the U in "DESU".)

Real roosters are a subspecies of the red junglefowl. We know this monster prefers warm climates, and is associated with roosters per its weapon names and appearances on in-universe weather vanes.

It's a monstrous pink junglefowl with notable ears and sensitive hearing, and all this time, its true name was actually "what it says on the tin". The most adherent localization choices would likely be along the lines of 'Earing-Cock, Earin' Cockerel, etc.

Given Western norms, it's unlikely to be called "cock"-anything, even in a modern localization. Here's some choices that dance around that:
    - Since many Gen 1 Japanese monster names are in Latin: "Aurigallus".
    - Close as can be, with no potential offense: "Earing-Fowl"/"Earin' Fowl".
    - With more wordplay: "Eary Bushfowl", "Earpullit"

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    https://www.monsterhunter.com/sp-program/us/
    • Monday, March 8th at 6am PST – Monster Hunter Digital Event – March 2021 (featuring Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2)
    • Tuesday, March 9th at 6am PST – New Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay, Hunting Tutorials, Director Q&A
    • Thursday, March 11th (Time TBC) – Monster Hunter Rise Community Live Stream

Stream 50 minutes from now.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Sooo... Nargcuga and Zingore are back, Greatsword has some kind of awesome counter move.

Switching moves are in, both for Silkbind attacks and normal attacks, so that's a thing!

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Demo returns March 11 with a new quest to fight the flagship Magnamalo!

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Oh thank goodness another demo. I deleted the first one like a dummy because it dropped and concluded before I saw the light.

EDIT: The title update trailer made me think Prowlers is coming back.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Chamelos + several other monsters as a free update at the end of april, plus a bunch of other monsters coming later on down the track.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Most important new information from the stream: there is a selfie owl.

uEoQLI3.png

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    "Fan favorites like ... Khezu"

Fan favorites my ass.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Personally I'd prefer Gigginox, he embraces the concept and aesthetic so much better. Khezu is dumb.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Fan favorites my ass.

lol, that was my thought. If I never had Khezu in another Monster Hunter game, I would be ok. Gross leech dragon. :bigfrown:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Fan favorites my ass.

lol, that was my thought. If I never had Khezu in another Monster Hunter game, I would be ok. Gross leech dragon. :bigfrown:

For someone who started in Tri, its grossness is greatly outweighed by how it looks kind of silly. It's like a Gigginox if Gigginox was designed at a time where the people making monsters had no idea how to make things that weren't upright flying wyverns.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Oh thank goodness another demo. I deleted the first one like a dummy because it dropped and concluded before I saw the light.

EDIT: The title update trailer made me think Prowlers is coming back.

Nah, those were just melynx (they're lynians, but exist on the maps just to attack you and steal your items)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to go SnS, but make a significant effort to only use weapons with an element/status aspect.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Insect glance 4 lyfe.life.

Edit: I stand by this typo.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    ohhhh. the switch skills they talked about in the March event this morning sound cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJkRpPtYE5c&t=433s

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to lie, seeing that Shoryuken was back is part of the reason I'm leaning SnS.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Every couple days I start thinking about how some random animation from World is so satisfying. Today it's the quick reload on the gunlance.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Replacing charged shelling with an explosive gap close seems almost automatic for gunlance?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go SnS, but make a significant effort to only use weapons with an element/status aspect.

I want to try using something besides Dual Blades for once. I just... really don't know what.

So I'll probably end up using Dual Blades again.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I want to try using something besides Dual Blades for once. I just... really don't know what.

Hammer down

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Like... I keep some Hammer and LS skills as a holdover from 3U when fighting, say, Diablos with Duals was a giant nuisance. But outside of Arenas where I don't have a choice (and Gen/U gathering with cats) I've never really left Duals.

I think they occupy a different mindset than most other weapons. I like having element/status matter, for one thing.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I'm super excited for Monster Hunter Stories 2. I'm in the middle of a playthrough of the first game to get ready for the second. :D

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Like... I keep some Hammer and LS skills as a holdover from 3U when fighting, say, Diablos with Duals was a giant nuisance. But outside of Arenas where I don't have a choice (and Gen/U gathering with cats) I've never really left Duals.

I think they occupy a different mindset than most other weapons. I like having element/status matter, for one thing.

I just like that Duals are fast. The other weapons seem so cumbersome in comparison.

I have a similar issue in MH World. I tend to only use Great Swords and for Rise really want to try getting into something else. I have a feeling though that I will end up just defaulting back to Great Swords though. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    That helmsplitter type attack they showed for the GS in the new trailer was pretty sweet looking. Or was that already available?

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Replacing charged shelling with an explosive gap close seems almost automatic for gunlance?
    There are certain fights where I could still see myself spamming Wide charge shells. Big, slow monsters with a lot of armor, like Gravios or something. But yeah, for the vast majority of loadouts and monsters you're going to make the change for sure.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Light bowguns are a fun change of pace. The way you're almost always slightly out of range of a monster's attacks and able to just drop status effect after status effect on them feels like cheating. I like to take a bowgun with Sleep Ammo 2, max out the sleep damage skill, and then take two mega barrel bombs, two large barrel bombs, five large barrels, five gunpowder, and seven devil's blight.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm super excited for Monster Hunter Stories 2. I'm in the middle of a playthrough of the first game to get ready for the second. :D

I tried the demo to the first one but rock paper scissors just wasn't that interesting, and it kinda ran like doodoo on my original 3ds.

I am legit surprised that rampage mode runs on the switch.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm legit surprised any of it runs on the switch. How do they have the spare power to render water like that?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    I'm legit surprised any of it runs on the switch. How do they have the spare power to render water like that?

I agree but they have a multiplayer mode with a bunch of extra monsters all attacking at the same time? Is that peer to peer or are they running servers to host it?