As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    In the last year or so I’ve had a lot more instances of hypnagogic hallucinations than I’ve had in the past. I’ve seen a pair of children in like early 1800s clothes, a woman in a sailor’s uniform, two men in hoodies and jeans, an elderly woman with a lace shawl, and a man in a suit with a wide brimmed black hat. All are static images and dissolve after what feels like 2 or 3 seconds after my mind snaps into a more full wakefulness.

I imagine they’re probably brought on by the changes in my routine/diet/stress levels since the pandemic started. Kinda bothers me how much they picked up in frequency though, after I got out of my sleep paralysis phase in high school I’ve maybe had one notable hallucination like that per year.

jgeis on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The whole block was an Australian colonial era graveyard that they’d moved and used the headstones to pulverise and create the walkways there.
    I don't believe in ghosts.

But this is 1000000% how you get ghosts. Like what the fuck.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I am sure that there aren't any ghosts in the place I rent but due to the design and air current, the door in the bathroom would once in awhile slowly open up from the outside and then suddenly slam shut which freaks the heck out of me

Other than that I did have someone yell angrily at me in the middle of the night which woke me up and there was no one around, I think that was my snoring or something

Edit: man of course after this i would proceed to get a strange dream about being trapped in a dream loop with a unknown person sleeping beside me all the while, only got out after I decided to flip over to face the person who turns out to be the guy who gave me the flask in dark souls or something. This is still fresh in my head so it would be interesting once i wake up tomorrow to read this

Peas on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I wonder if ghosts like it when people give them names and let them be part of the scene

depends on the kind of ghost, I guess.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The whole block was an Australian colonial era graveyard that they’d moved and used the headstones to pulverise and create the walkways there.

The only way it could be worse is if they ground up the dead people's bones to use in the cement of the building.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

The only way it could be worse is if they ground up the dead people's bones to use in the cement of the building.

Is it lonely up on your non ground up bones pedastal Librarians Ghost?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

Actually, this raises a lot of questions for me, like "I'm 'bout 5 seconds away from running a D&D game based on this" questions. If the bones were ground up and mixed together into one substance like this, what does that do to the ghosts? Does it likewise meld all the ghosts together into one gestalt entity? Does incorporating that physical substance into a physical location anchor this gestalt entity to that place? Is this how you create a localized mini-god?

Friends, gather 'round and hear the tale of Lavesh the Reviled, and the God of Oakstar Keep - wrought by Lavesh's very hands, unwilling to be restrained by them, and loosed upon the world through the clash of mortal hubris and heroism.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Basically all the negative energy would still be there, just possibly weakened to be spread out across the whole building but also possibly strengthened by the act of destruction and containment from the building itself. This could make it easier for any of the ghosts to manifest.

This all depends on how much iron was used in the construction.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

God damn I want a Ghostbuster rpg where I have to bullshit plausible sounding ghost explanations on the fly.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Actually, this raises a lot of questions for me, like "I'm 'bout 5 seconds away from running a D&D game based on this" questions. If the bones were ground up and mixed together into one substance like this, what does that do to the ghosts? Does it likewise meld all the ghosts together into one gestalt entity? Does incorporating that physical substance into a physical location anchor this gestalt entity to that place? Is this how you create a localized mini-god?

Friends, gather 'round and hear the tale of Lavesh the Reviled, and the God of Oakstar Keep - wrought by Lavesh's very hands, unwilling to be restrained by them, and loosed upon the world through the clash of mortal hubris and heroism.

There's an Irish (?) myth about a bunch of people being buried under a feasting hall and I'm 99% sure it's been D&D-ified at some point over the decades. I can't recall enough specifics to place it though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    God damn I want a Ghostbuster rpg where I have to bullshit plausible sounding ghost explanations on the fly.

Actually I could see that making a fun party game. Like pictionary but with ghost nonsense

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

Actually I could see that making a fun party game. Like pictionary but with ghost nonsense

You could have a Star Trek technobabble spin off game.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

I really should run a Ghostbusters Actual Play, but like with InSpectres or Monster of the Week or something in that Milieu just to finally do it, but the scheduling would be the biggest problem.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    You don't have to worry about ghost cats. Cats are known to reincarnate.
    If you see something that looks like a ghost cat, though, be very careful. That thing was never a living cat. It is masquerading as a cat to get your guard down.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

The sign specifically said all of the bodies had been respectfully relocated to the other graveyard, but the headstones were so old and worn that they didn't know who they were for anymore, and most were broken or collapsed.

They even took the ones that weren't too badly damaged and set up a mini fake graveyard with 10 or so stone grave covers and headstones, likely so any family could use those to pay their respects if they didn't know where the new graves were.

The whole thing actually felt really nice and respectful, and the mini faux graveyard had some trees around it to shelter it from the road nearby, and the rest was a park with a winding pathway through it, which was what was made of the old headstones.

However, saying all that, once I read it, I had the same thought. If the area actually is haunted, this is probably why.

-Loki- on
    TankHammer wrote: »
    If you see something that looks like a ghost cat, though, be very careful. That thing was never a living cat. It is masquerading as a cat to get your guard down.
    Huh, I actually would have expected a cat to generate 9 distinct ghosts. I guess maybe 8 + 1 reincarnation.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    They do, but the first eight don't last very long. They're just made of octoplasm.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Huh, I actually would have expected a cat to generate 9 distinct ghosts. I guess maybe 8 + 1 reincarnation.

Cats are half-in-half-out of the afterlife anyway, it's why they were so revered in ancient Egypt and are able to see and interact with entities from the astral and other parallel planes of existence. They'd make good spiritual guides if they were inclined, but they tend to have other agendas. It's why canines tend to make more motivated spirit guides.

When a cat expends one of it's "9 lives" the ghost is created just as it is when a human passes on, but it tends to find a warm spot to nap in the afterlife until the other pieces come together again, as ghosts do not have need to eat and therefore it has no motivation to do anything else. Eventually all 9 lives (comically numbered for keeping track) get shuffled back together like a deck of cards and plopped back on Earth and go about their business as normal, crying constantly for the food they didn't get to eat while between lives.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    You think battlefields would be like, super haunted.

If ghosts were real, that is.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular

Verdun would be generating so many vengeful Godzillas

04xkcuvaav19.png

They typically are SUPER haunted. Gettysburg has a sky-high rate of sightings and phenomena. Battlefields aren't mentioned as often because they're not as easily-identified as psychiatric hospitals or prisons, but people see and hear shit around the site of big battles all the time.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If ghosts were real even just 'died in extreme agony and/or emotional turmoil' type ghosts the planet would be utterly aswarm with malevolent geists like obstructing traffic you wouldnt be able to make a particular one out from the noclip scrum of screaming evil ghosts

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Who knows what the rules are, man? Maybe some get locked into an area, some get to come back only on certain anniversaries, some only appear after some arbitrary amount of time and stop showing up after some arbitrary amount of time? It's not science, it's folklore. Trying to draw patterns in it and proposing theories between conflicting and inconsistent reports is just good, macabre fun!

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    There's only one time I've ever actually thought I was actually seeing a ghost, as opposed to just loose energy or bad medicine or giving myself the jeebies in a spooky circumstance.

I was sleeping at my aunt's old house, it was an old house.
    She let me stay up to watch the late-night animes on Cartoon Network, and I fell asleep on the couch. A repeated quiet noise woke me up in the middle of the night, it's dark. It's coming from the kitchen, next room over.
    I creep into the kitchen and the door to the cabinet where they kept the cereal was just slowly opening, all the way, and slowly closing again.
    I watch it happen several times, and then it stops. I heard a sound like a gasp from behind me, the door claps shut, and my ears rush and repeatedly pop, like when air pressure changes. Or when IVing cocaine, for a less relatable comparison.
    Like you're in a tunnel and a train is speeding down it, pushing all the air in front of it and over top of you.

I decided to sleep in my cousin's room. It seemed the safest room.

fuckin' ghost just wanted some frosted flakes, spooked a 12 year old instead

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

ghost cats are real and they hate you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MVtmVAh4LY

TQHpSMi.jpg
    4Usz71S.jpg
    r1Q5Ct6.jpg
    pShpEgP.jpg
    MmHDWRD.jpg
    PGywCRq.jpg
    EmRnFMB.jpg
    DyigOjF.jpg
    hPQfwgy.jpg

late-night animes
    The truest horror.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I was torn on whether this would be more appropriate to post in the snugglehug thread, but no. This is clearly a cryptid.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Maned wolves are cool as hell.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    When you pick the wrong aspect ratio on your wolf

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Hobnail wrote: »
    If ghosts were real even just 'died in extreme agony and/or emotional turmoil' type ghosts the planet would be utterly aswarm with malevolent geists like obstructing traffic you wouldnt be able to make a particular one out from the noclip scrum of screaming evil ghosts

I think:
    1. Something external gives rise to ghost sightings. Not all, certainly; but the ones where multiple unrelated, uninformed individuals experience the same apparitions, down to fine details, over a long period of time? Yeah.
    2. Whatever process it is that gives rise to those things doesn't happen every time, or even often. Either it's extremely rare, or most of them don't hit some threshold of human perception, or both.
    3. People have varying levels of sensitivity to ghosts/hauntings, just like they do to everything else. Maybe it's a normal ability that's amped up in some people, like supertasting; maybe it's like tetrachromacy where only a small percentage of the population has the capacity at all.

What I find completely implausible is that all ghost sightings are nothing more than people's brains playing tricks. Some, absolutely. Most, even. But not all.

edit: what I'm really curious about is: given that the most consistent ghost sightings involve apparitions that seem to act like random snapshots from someone's life, how come nobody ever sees ghosts of people who are still living? Under the theory that apparitions are basically echoes/afterimages of something that happened, then I don't actually think death has anything to do with it.

Calica on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    jesus i thought that was a spider at first

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The ever-elusive fuzzy bullspider.

Took me FAR too long to scroll all the way down to understand the full image.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The ever-elusive fuzzy bullspider.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

damnation even the name makes my asshole slam shut

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The sad thing is that now that my brain understands what it is, I can't see the eldritch horror anymore. Disappointing.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The only ghost I believe in is the ghost who threw that ladys dog across her room

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You don't believe in Ghost Dog and his hagakure ways?

Oh brilliant