As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Should I start playing this game in the year of our lord 2021 or should I run away screaming

We share one space,
    speak one voice,
    act through one body.
    A flawless crystal.
    Brittle.

(Yes play this game, I started during the beta and have never regreted the nutty amount of time I've spent getting better at it. A new league with a new economy begins in April so you have time asking questions and figuring out what you want to play.)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Or jump in during this league which is probably one of the best ones in a long while (not particularly because of the mechanic but because of the solid QOL improvements). Solid ways to make money in the game everywhere. Non stupid end game map system/improved map system.

Jubal77 on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Should I start playing this game in the year of our lord 2021 or should I run away screaming

play it and enjoy the wiggliness

obF2Wuw.png
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    You'll be hard pressed to find a better ARPG, at least gameplay wise. Performance on the other hand...

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, I was scrolling through youtube and saw Ziz talking about Winter Orb, so I kind of started another character, but also I have to go back into the office so I can't ignore things like work to play PoE anymore. Makes finding time to play real rough... Also, this'll be my 6th character through the Acts if I manage to get there this league.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Well I had it downloading when I asked so I guess I was more looking for someone to validate my awful life decision

It would be highly recommended to at least loosely follow a build guide.

edited March 2021
    Well I had it downloading when I asked so I guess I was more looking for someone to validate my awful life decision

If you want to want to make you do not have a bad first impression, I would recommend a build like Blade Vortex, Winter Orb or minion build, where you can deal damage while moving and not have to stand still to deal damage. This is because as the game ramps up in difficulty, the amount of different things that will kill you very quickly increase and moving to areas that are safer or will be safer is a big deal. A newer player will need to do this more before they get a fell for enemies and bosses and how they attack. Being able to do damage while moving will shorten the scarier fights and sections, which reduces their total likelihood of axing you.

Absalon on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I’m going with a witch minion build I think

I’m going with a witch minion build I think

Can't go wrong with minions, they are good. Multiple flavors too, which is always nice.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Yes.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Anytime is a good time to start. The skill web is pretty intimidating so based on how you feel either jump in with two feet and try it out yourself or find a good guide to follow if you don't want to struggle with years and years of layered systems that aren't well documented anywhere. If you're looking for well laid out and easy to follow guides I'd recommend a YouTube channel called Esoro.

Also, download a loot filter, there is way, way too much loot that drops and clutters up your screen without one. I use the one from filterblade but I think there are a couple.

steam_sig.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

its the best its ever been since 3.3/3.4 incursion about 2.5 years ago

its in a very good spot right now with massive amounts of viable builds, a choose your own endgame allowance, and a fresh/ish meta every 3-4 months

join us

J3qcnBP.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was going to recommend minions. Playing zombies when I cam back was probably why I did the next few leagues. If I came back trying to lacerate I wouldn't keep playing. All this needing to stop and stand around to do damage is awful!

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

I want to figure things out on my own somewhat, instead of following recommended builds. I've played the latter way before in ARPGs and it kills a lot of the enjoyment for me. So I just took a long look at the passive skill tree and beelined the closest minion nodes there were, and then I'll decide where to go from there. I'm not really intimidated by big skill trees; when I run up against a grind for a specific piece of gear with a .5% drop rate is about when I'll probably drop it. I didn't really do that in Diablo and I probably won't here either.

Just a fair warning about going your own route. You may hit caps of what you can do and you may have to abandon the character because of it. Changing the build around can be very expensive. It is what made me bounce off the game for a long while. The game also has a HUGE abundance of content/bloat in it. So your build may be challenged very hard in modern POE if the proper focus is not there to get past the tiers.

That said I hope it goes well for you and you enjoy the game! Lots of people here are end game farmers so help is just a message away.

I'm not really worried. If I hit a wall and my build just can't handle it, I'll stop playing. If the game has content that requires you to go get a degree in the game and come back with some meta that everybody runs, well, nuts to that. I'll just play the content that lets me do what I want.

It doesnt require that at all but it does sort of need solid builds (items, tree and skills) to progress. And there as an abundance of all of these which can be daunting.

You can clear all the content with non meta builds just fine. It is how I tend to prefer to play. But, for me, I had much more success learning the process from build guides. I now build all my characters but it is still daunting and I still get others I play with giving me alternate options in items or gem loadouts that may work better that I didnt think of or the like.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Stuff you should know if running a self-made build as a beginner:

Minion builds are mostly skill-based, not item-based. You should have one item to put your main damage-causing skill, where you have the most amount of links possible. Keep an eye out for items with more links than you have, but requirements matter as well; items that need strength are more likely to roll red sockets, and so on.

The temptation is to go for damage in the skill tree. This is a mistake. You'll probably start getting splattered after a few acts. You absolutely need life nodes, and more than you think. With minions, your damage comes from support gems, not the tree. You'll also need resists. Use the crafting bench in your hideout to add resists to your gear, and generally keep an eye out for new gear.

The item level of your gear is a good rule of thumb for which bit to upgrade next. You'll probably reach a point where you get insta-killed by some stupid enemy; this is a good time to re-examine your gear. If you have some essences, use one that guarantees a useful mod.

You only need one, maybe two, attack skills. Your other sockets should hold auras, guard skills, curses, movement skills, and the like.

Path of Building is a good way to make decisions. You can load up your build, and actually see that a node will gives you +2.5% dps, or 44 extra life, or doesn't actually do anything for you because you misread the description.

There's this big endgame thing with maps that you can't really expect do anything with on a build you made yourself. Just be happy if you beat all 10 acts.

Pay attention to your flasks. They're not just there for healing, but also for dealing with various ailments, such as bleeding and freezing. You can use the bestiary to craft flasks.

I think building at least one character without access to build guides is a good experience, especially if it's your first. It builds character.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    You only need a bachelor's in the game to play it well. PhD to make your own builds.
    There are just way too many skills and uniques and passives to match.
    I'm 1000+ hours in and I would never trust myself to make a build.

38thDoE on steam

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    i mean i think the key point is that it doesnt matter if ur build is bad

by the time it begins to matter respec points are basically free

making stuff and seeing how it goes rules

ur always making currency while playing and its not like ur racing against anybody, so playing a total dogshit build to 90 loses u literally nothing - in fact u only gain - and theres just as good a chance u will find an ex or get a good ritual or whatever, especially now that rewards for just playing are so much higher for even non-farming builds

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited March 2021
    I managed to get a Vial of Transcendence and then I made it do smoochies with a Tempered Flesh I had. Now 21 exalts in the bank. But it is difficult to decide what to spend it on - more "Phys taken as fire" on gear will make me very tanky (I have 6k life, 3.3k ES, 89 fire, Tempered by War, 79 cold and lightning, and 77 chaos with pretty nutty life and ES regen), but I know I can get more damage and clear via "Enemies you kill explode", rings with Arcane Surge or Flammability on Hit rings, or a Sceptre with +1 to fire spell skill gems AND spell skill gems.

I could also glam up my cluster jewels or my Watcher's Eye.

Edit: First ever Awakener's Orb, from a quite facile A8 Sirus.

Also edit: Maven bad. Maven dumb and stupid mean!

edit: Still can't beat Maven. But I can beat Aul and get a Pride Uprising worth 28ex or so, which is nice. I am not entirely sure how fast I can get to 36 challenges, but I will try even if I can't beat the Maven. I don't think I can do Endgame Grinds, Prove your Worth, Maven or Maven conditionally.

Absalon on
    edited March 2021
    One step closer to beating the game.

kfpuo3qgto2i.jpg

Edit: and its out of the ritual and in my stash!

Jubal77 on
    edited March 2021
    29 challenges now. Problem is, without killing the Maven at least once I can't get to 36 and so far I can't really deal with all that bullshit.

Edit: Also 57 exalts, which is jolly. I just need to figure out where to spend them, because I can't get top stuff for every slot.

Absalon on
    I was leveling up a winter orb occultist , but then took a break to farm more currency on my bleed bow glad.

howpfkm4g0b7.jpg

Another end game goal achieved.

I never thought I would see the day, but I finally beat A8 Sirus. Not deathless as I died twice, but Toxic Rain Trickster finally got me through. Still one of the poorest designed boss fights I've ever seen and it should be relegated to the bone pile, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

steam_sig.png
    Absalon wrote: Β»
    29 challenges now. Problem is, without killing the Maven at least once I can't get to 36 and so far I can't really deal with all that bullshit.

Edit: Also 57 exalts, which is jolly. I just need to figure out where to spend them, because I can't get top stuff for every slot.

For Maven, going all-out on damage is a reasonable choice. Most of her bullshit is dodge or die, so making sure she only uses her bullshit the minimum amount of times can help. You just need enough survival to not get killed by her normal attacks, and it looks like you have that. Other than that, it's just a matter of knowing the fight, and practice. My feeling is the actual fight difficulty is near A8 Sirus, there's just no lower-tier version to practice on, and it's new.

Daimar wrote: Β»
    I never thought I would see the day, but I finally beat A8 Sirus. Not deathless as I died twice, but Toxic Rain Trickster finally got me through. Still one of the poorest designed boss fights I've ever seen and it should be relegated to the bone pile, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think with better dps I could probably kill him with Toxic Rain Trickster deathless. Having to dodge his crap for too long is inevitably fatal. Not sure if that was your problem or not, fight was very long for me but dodge lets you survive being in the wrong place at the wrong time some of the time so its a big advantage in a fight where you can't see what the heck is going on at any time.

38thDoE on steam

edited March 2021
    31 challenges down. Ritual Encounters V (only done the Phoenix "quartet" so far), 14 more Blighted maps plus 6 lab metamorphs for Encounters VI, Encounters VII, and Craftable Watchstones are all doable with some trading and/or collaboration.

Then I either need to do Maven or Prove your Worth, but I am only at 360/1250 on the latter. Which map has the most bosses that count towards that goal, in case I can't beat Maven?

Absalon on
    Its one of the sarn maps that has 4 rogue exiles as the boss, but that's only good 1/10 times. You need an area that has a higher average boss and I'm not sure which one that is.

For ritual encounters did you buy the bosses or just run the maps forever and hope that ritual spawned in the boss room?

38thDoE on steam

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Its one of the sarn maps that has 4 rogue exiles as the boss, but that's only good 1/10 times. You need an area that has a higher average boss and I'm not sure which one that is.

For ritual encounters did you buy the bosses or just run the maps forever and hope that ritual spawned in the boss room?

I managed to get the Phoenix quartet naturally, but I don't know how to filter out Blood-Filled vessels with the right "contents" on trade sites for the rest.

38thDoe wrote: Β»

I managed to get the Phoenix quartet naturally, but I don't know how to filter out Blood-Filled vessels with the right "contents" on trade sites for the rest.

There's no filter on trade. What you want to do is filter on price: Look at 20c+, and just ctrl-f to find the boss you need. (Honestly, the only ones I'd bother buying are the guardians; for the rest, just set them as favored maps if you don't have enough, or horizon orb them at the natural tier or something. It's not that hard, and you only need 3 maps on average for each.)

31 challenges down. Ritual Encounters V (only done the Phoenix "quartet" so far), 14 more Blighted maps plus 6 lab metamorphs for Encounters VI, Encounters VII, and Craftable Watchstones are all doable with some trading and/or collaboration.

Then I either need to do Maven or Prove your Worth, but I am only at 360/1250 on the latter. Which map has the most bosses that count towards that goal, in case I can't beat Maven?

There are a few maps that have 3 bosses, but does Maven count them as one for each boss or just one fight observed regardless of the number?

steam_sig.png
    The Maven realms beyond fights, I would never have thought the breachlords would be giving me problems but wow they are pretty annoying. Having more trouble with them then with Shaper/Elder guards.

38thDoE on steam

I can barely do them on magic invitations without dying less than twice. If you don't deal with Tul and Uul-Netol quickly you are going to eat it and Esh's large globes of zap are dangerous even when she is not drawing them in for her giant shock nova.

Daimar wrote: Β»

There are a few maps that have 3 bosses, but does Maven count them as one for each boss or just one fight observed regardless of the number?

Word on Reddit is that a 3 boss fight counts for 3 completions. Also, one way to cheese things is to take a 3 boss map that allows twinning, reroll the map until you get twinned, then only kill 5 bosses. That way, you can repeatedly rerun it, getting 5 completions each time.

Personally though, I just skipped that challenge. It's just too grindy.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3069670
    Development Manifesto: Harvest Crafting
    Upcoming Changes in Path of Exile 3.14.0
    So in 3.14.0, we're making some changes. The first three are direct nerfs to Harvest, and the second two are improvements. It's also worth noting that Harvest Atlas passives have been adjusted to accommodate these changes.
    • Previously, every seed in a patch granted an instance of that seed's craft. Now, only some of the seeds do (so you're getting far fewer of the crafts that were overwhelming people with their quantity). Higher-tier seeds are closer to the 1:1 ratio from before.
    • Some mods that had overly-deterministic behaviour have been removed. These include all annulment mods (other than the ones that remove a mod that isn't of a specific type before adding one of that type), and all type-specific divine mods.
    • Crafts that add mods of specific types (like Physical Modifiers, for example) to items can now only be applied to non-influenced items, except for the existing mod that applies an influenced mod to an influenced item.
    • The chance of encountering a portal to the Sacred Grove in a map has been increased by 60%.
    • The Heart of the Grove encounter is now a map fragment that sometimes drops from Tier 4 Harvest bosses, instead of randomly appearing in place of a normal Harvest grove. This allows you to trade the encounter if you don't feel up to it, and it means that finding The Heart of the Grove when you are in a map with difficult mods doesn't lead to an impossible encounter.

Overall, this is undoubtedly a heavy nerf to high-end Harvest Crafting, but we strongly believe that it is in Path of Exile's best interests going forward, and that there are still a lot of compelling Harvest crafts that make the grove worth running at any point in map progression.

boooooooooooooooo

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    305 pages and counting on that Harvest nerfs thread, lmao EVERYONE is pissed

I’m curious what they expected the response to be β€œto grove spawns more often but all the stuff you want in it is stripped out”.

38thDoE on steam