As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We live in interesting [Quarantimes]

19495969798100»

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I cannot be dissuaded from the greatness of beagles.

Have you ever tried going anywhere with one?

*sniff* *sniff* *sniff* [walk two paces] *sniff* *sniff* [walk back three paces] *sniff* *sniff* *sniff* [stop] *sniff* [follow a scent in another direction than the one you're going] *sniff* *sniff* *sniff* *sniff* [stop] *sniff* [go forward one step] *sniff* *sniff*

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest I'm still thinking about Chumlee

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    One thing about big dogs is they have a lot of big dog energy!

Depends on the dog. (I'm reiterating this because a lot of people think that big dogs are bad in apartments and actually a lot of big dogs are much better for apartments than small or medium ones, depending on energy levels).

Maremas are a working breed that were intended to be doin' stuff. Berners and newfoundlands, and their ilk, were designed to keep your feet warm and maybe potter around a village with a small cart for half an hour, so generally speaking they are the laziest doggos to ever lazy and tbh even getting one to go for a walk can be a real chore.
    like seriously they spend 21 hours a day asleep and at least two of the remainder just kind of rolling around hoping you'll give them food.

Yea my Dad would have been much better served with a Berner or Newfy. I'm still of two minds, the dog is still young enough where he could go to a farm and be a working dog and actually trained, or be here most of the day by himself while my Dad is at work. I don't think it's a good fit to have a working dog not have a job.

That's a good way to have an insane dog and a wrecked house.

He's not an inside dog, but yea I agree. He needs work.

Inside or outside, working dogs need exercise and stimulation or they'll get bored and wreck your shit.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    A working breed doesn't necessarily need a full on Job but it will require a lot of direct attention and play and obedience work to fill the gap

Like, Belgian Terverens are great working dogs and Hard Mode as far as training/ownership goes, but we're able to keep ours at home provided we make sure she gets an hour of walks a day and a looooot of play time in (she now has a system where she'll rotate through family members over and over to play fetch with throughout the night whenever one person stops engaging, so that's helpful)

It'd be less doable if it was me, alone, in an apartment, but with my family on hand we're able to manage their crazy energy requirements

I'm hoping to get her into some dog sports this year! Damn pandemic really threw us off on that

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    I curse Tynic for introducing me to Berners, only to then find out the wait list for a berner is 3 fucking years!!!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Mixed breeds are great, because sometimes they just throw you for a real loop

One of my family dogs, Freya, was a Jack Russell x Blue Heeler. By all accounts we were expecting to get a high energy, high work drive, extremely cunning girl, but we ended up with a really chill and independent little aunty of a dog.

She was an incredible tracker and navigator though, and would remember how to get to various places after visiting them just once by car, which we discovered the few times she got out during a storm.

This discussion has been closed.