As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anime Thread R (The R Stands for Returns)

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited April 2021 in Social Entropy++
Technically, "anime" is just the Japanese word that refers to animation as a whole, but obviously we're not gonna be talking about Looney Tunes in here. Outside of Japan, anime refers specifically to animation from that small, densely populated island nation. For a time in the United States the term Japanimation was used instead, and animated media from Japan was hard to come by. Sure, there would be some breakout exceptions that grazed against the edge of the mainstream like Akira, but it wasn't until the Toonami programming block on Cartoon Network started airing the powerhouse duo of Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon in 1998 that anime really entered the pop culture consciousness.

Just let Moltar from Space Ghost explain to you, kid watching Cartoon Network in the 90's (that's you), why these shows are so cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sof9NXUQ4jI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJz-xmr1qk

Thanks in large part to those two shows anime exploded in popularity in the US, and before long distributors would be desperately importing anything they could find that might hit that same level of popularity, a small portion of that airing on TV while the majority was released on ridiculously expensive VHS tapes, and later DVDs (seriously, 20 or 30 bucks for four dubbed episodes was normal for the time). For a long time Toonami was THE place to watch anime in the States, with many memorable shows gracing the programming block: Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo!, Outlaw Star, Big O, Zoids, etc.

Heck, even the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion aired on Toonami as part of Giant Robot Week in 2003. Just let T.O.M. ("Toonami Operations Module") tell you, youth watching Cartoon Network in the early 00's, about these cool shows that you should totally check out that for reasons unexplained aren't going to be aired in their entirety:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2EIirisKck

BTW, if that T.O.M. guy sounds familiar, then you've already watched some great anime. Perhaps Cowboy Bebop, where T.O.M.'s voice actor, Steve Blum, portrayed Spike Spiegel.

Rather than make this whole opening thread about Toonami, though, I'll just let this guy explain how Toonami helped bring anime mainstream (it would be remiss of me to not mention that Adult Swim also began airing anime, such as Full Metal Alchemist and Paranoia Agent; anime increasingly began airing on other channels hoping to mimic Cartoon Network's success).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_Er4N_HTo

There's also this quote from Infinity Train creator Owen Dennis:
Anime influenced kids in the ‘90s and ‘00s due to packaging like Toonami. Those kids are now in their 30s and making their own TV shows. They want to make stuff similar to what they watched when they were kids. Hence, you get shows like Steven Universe, Owl House, She-Ra, Kipo, OK K.O., Rise of the TMNT, etc. It’s clear that anime has influenced an entire generation of cartoon creators. Anime can be kid-oriented, but can also veer into adult themes.

As kids, many show creators were watching the adult stuff, so they’re trying to recreate what anime does in the American market. Unfortunately, the people in charge didn’t grow up with anime, so they often miss its value.

Source

Ever since, anime has made more and more of a pop culture impact, and there's more and more convenient ways to find and watch shows you've never seen before (even DVDs and Blu Rays are reasonably priced now!). Streaming especially did wonders for making anime more affordably accessible than ever before, and now one can watch their favorite shows on services like Netflix, HBOMax, Crunchyroll, Funimation, VRV, etc. Toonami itself is still around, too, though now on Saturday Nights on Adult Swim.

EDIT: SOOOOOOOOOO I had way more typed up and my computer died, leaving me with nothing to show for about thirty minutes of work, so for right now I'm going to leave you with some animation that Studio Trigger (founded by former Gainax employee Hiroyuki Imaishi, perhaps most well-known for directing Gurren Lagann) has provided for Western animated shows:

Hiroyuki Imaishi (Director of Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Kill La Kill)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw8Jz-N8fXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXt9XgxM7zo&list=LL&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0WdUsip1is

Takafumi Hori (Studio Trigger Animator Who Really Liked Steven Universe and Wanted In, Probably Why Some SU Alumni Worked on BNA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LMGVx31zso

Yoh Yoshinari (Creator of Little Witch Academia, Director of Brand New Animal... and Clearly Not a Fan of Power Puff Girls Z [Which Was a Thing])
aerdzvxs4c2v.jpg

(He Does Like My Life as a Teenage Robot, Though)
amzxybkgqggh.jpg

Hexmage-PA on

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Theres an Evangelion movie out and I want it.

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    slammed all of quint quints over the last couple days and the end of the most recent episode fucked me up. feeling hurt and betrayed by best girl

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That DBZ clip is waaaaaay too high resolution quality for that time period.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    That DBZ clip is waaaaaay too high resolution quality for that time period.

The description on the YouTube page reads
    Remastered video and audio.

Original video captured from VHS by RetroCCN

I could still try to find a grainier version for that retro charm.

edited March 2021
    This OP is gonna be a work in progress, btw.

Hexmage-PA on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The Sailor Moon clip is absolutely perfect though. All the voices sound like they're underwater, exactly as I remember.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    continuing from the last page re: slime and the oncoming fireworks factory:

i was kind operating under the assumption that this was the 11th episode counting the recap/introducing the hinata character was ep 1 but nope there are three more eps this season so its looking like 2 eps of fireworks factory and 1 of aftermath and bridge to the next season.

with an intermission of Slime Diaries to scratch the "let's build a fantasy monster town full of friends" itch before the 2nd cour in July. so basically all fireworks factory there

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The Toonami promo for DBZ's World Strongest is hands-down my favorite anime promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4rLmNm0G8

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I consumed Demon Slayer in a couple weeks and thought it was fairly dang good. And now I gotta wait an eternity for more of it, how cruel. I guess there's a movie out in Japan, but it's not streaming anywhere yet.
    I love how they establish the minibosses early on, you gotta kill these 12 guys before you can get the big boss, and then our hero succeeds in killing a reject from those 12, fails to kill another, and then half of them are killed off by the big boss all at once.

The best action moment so far was Nezuko kicking that dude's head off, but the crazy animation for the spider kid boss fight comes close. Zenitsu doing his one thing that he can do, and then Tanjiro using Fire Breathing + Nezuko's explosive blood was fuckin' crazy.

also the 6 armed temari demon was dope and I'm mad she died so quickly!

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    also toonami was a flag-carrier for sure but I could swear I saw sailor moon and dragon ball Z years before on a different channel. fake edit: Sailor moon apparently only aired for 2 seasons in 1995 in the US prior to being cancelled, then was picked back up by toonami in 98. That's weird, felt like it was a presence for longer than that. Time seems to last longer when you're a kid I guess.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    also toonami was a flag-carrier for sure but I could swear I saw sailor moon and dragon ball Z years before on a different channel. fake edit: Sailor moon apparently only aired for 2 seasons in 1995 in the US prior to being cancelled, then was picked back up by toonami in 98. That's weird, felt like it was a presence for longer than that. Time seems to last longer when you're a kid I guess.

DBZ was originally a UPN show, I think, and later on WB

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    The Journey Movie- Official Trailer 1:45
    https://youtu.be/EP6FKs1JsnE

Seems like a fairly unique setting, very action packed from the looks of it

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    slammed all of quint quints over the last couple days and the end of the most recent episode fucked me up. feeling hurt and betrayed by best girl

I'm assuming the "fuck tropes" moment has happened by now?

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    the DBZ commercials made me not want to watch it for a while. then I did and realized the error of my ways.

was voltron an anime? that was the first one I watched, it was big for a while

Jars on
    So, uhhhhhhhhhh...

I worked a lot more on the OP and my computer suddenly cut-out...

Jragghen wrote: »

yeah i think that it was probably syndicated and it aired in my market at 11 am on sundays two episodes in row, but only ever got to the Ginyu Force landing. which was maddening, man TV was so fucking weird and opaque back then.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Kaguya latest chapter
    That was remarkably relatable.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Well decided to rewatch Yu Yu Hakusho since Hulu has it. Man, I forgot that there are some parts that just didn't age well from the get go. I'm hoping it's not my memory failing me because I want to say those parts are pretty infrequent in the series and only really towards the start. One being the part where Yosuke flips up Keiko's skirt and another where he possesses Kuwabara and gropes her. Like I would say in hindsight that those parts did age well the moment someone decided to include them.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I finished Fire Punch

Man. That was something. I think Chainsaw Man is a kind of refinement of some of the ideas of Fire Punch, and overall I think I like it better, but there’s some stuff in Fire Punch that made me go whoaaaa what the fucccckk

Kaguya latest chapter
    That was remarkably relatable.
    this, like Ishigami being dumped is a great example of why this story works so well. every is heightened and almost melodramatic, lots of it being literally cartoonish from face faults to omniscient narrator making fourth wall breaking jokes. however, the characters never stop acting consistent and ultimately believably human and teenage.

of course that is how it would happen because that's how it happens for a lot of people their age. they're in a heightened cartoon romcom shouneny world but they still act like modern teenagers in an honest way that a lot of other stories in the genre that are this popular don't, not this frankly.

at the same it's a perfect setup-punchline joke as a chapter. at once it was sweet, exciting without being prurient or exploitative and hilarious. reading the comments on reddit though a lot of people feeling a big disappoint and not understanding the joke, but come on how else could this series handle it and be true to the tone?

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I finished Fire Punch

Man. That was something. I think Chainsaw Man is a kind of refinement of some of the ideas of Fire Punch, and overall I think I like it better, but there’s some stuff in Fire Punch that made me go whoaaaa what the fucccckk

Chainsaw man is better told and a better overall story. Fire punch meanders a little in places. But it's still pretty damn good and unique.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I finished Fire Punch

Chainsaw man is better told and a better overall story. Fire punch meanders a little in places. But it's still pretty damn good and unique.

Yeah, 100% agreed. I think Chainsaw Man is helped by Denji being kind of a charming dope, whereas Agni is... not THAT much of a character for most of the comic?

So something I thought might be fun was to show instances of how anime has influenced the world of animation beyond Japan (among other things), but since I lost a lot of what I had typed up I'm settling for clips of animation that Studio Trigger has contributed to American cartoons.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This is my favorite promo, because it lets the music do the talking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdEu8a6TEbY

wVEsyIc.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    DHS wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

yeah i think that it was probably syndicated and it aired in my market at 11 am on sundays two episodes in row, but only ever got to the Ginyu Force landing. which was maddening, man TV was so fucking weird and opaque back then.

Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball (not Z), and Samurai Pizza Cats are the anime I remember seeing on network TV in the pre-Toonami times.

edited March 2021
    BTW, I didn't include this in the OP because I didn't want to put too many references to Western animation into the Anime thread's OP, but the director of Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Brendan Clogher, is 1) obviously a huge Hiroyuki Imaishi fan and 2) frankly a master of sakuga.

Speaking of Imaishi, he directed the opening sequence for the cartoon OK K.O!, which should be immediately obvious to anyone whose seen anything he's ever done:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpMeYjp8A8

OK K.O.! creator Ian Jones-Quartey put one of his characters in a Little Witch Academia outfit in the show itself as a small thank you.
    bl4vxkd9cnj6.jpg

The crew of Steven Universe gave the characters Lapis Lazuli and Peridot parts of Kamina's costume and never had them fuse into a Kamina wtf.
    iybvapjsodc0.jpg

They did add the most blatant Utena reference (in a show full of Utena references) towards the end, though:
    diefpv29stt3.jpg

Oh, and can't forget this:
    zpd5glmoj0ap.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
    So I'm out of touch. I say that like I haven't always been.

But anyway.

What's a sakuga?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

But anyway.

What's a sakuga?
    A moment or scene in a show where the animators really start flexing.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

But anyway.

What's a sakuga?

A cherry blossom too young to say their name right.

Oh, alright...

A fancy, higher budget bit of animation, "used to highlight an important scene".

Children's rights are human rights.
    Okay so I know the word and now I'm going to try to use it.

Unlimited Sakuga Works

How'd I do?

edited March 2021
    BTW, Steven Universe also put a blatant Enigma at Amigara Fault reference in as a major recurring location in their show, the maniacs.

ffo91sw69w9a.gif
    y3sxs1uukvdb.png

I wonder how many kids saw this and shortly thereafter learned about the works of Junji Ito from people who caught the reference online.

Hexmage-PA on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular

Unlimited Sakuga Works

How'd I do?

Unlimited Blade Works' big fights are pretty much all sakuga, so you did better than you thought

edited March 2021
    Opty wrote: »

Unlimited Sakuga Works

How'd I do?

Unlimited Blade Works' big fights are pretty much all sakuga, so you did better than you thought

I knew what I was doing. I still regularly rewatch my favourite fights from that show.

Morninglord on
    Jars wrote: »
    the DBZ commercials made me not want to watch it for a while. then I did and realized the error of my ways.

was voltron an anime? that was the first one I watched, it was big for a while

Voltron is one of those interesting cases way back when anime would sometimes be heavily altered before release in the US, sometimes even splicing in footage from unrelated shows. Voltron itself was primarily created using the anime Beast King GoLion.

edited March 2021
    My first was Robotech.

Which I still prefer over Macross cos the soundtrack slaps so hard. I can't give it up even though the dubbing is cringe.

And by first I mean I saw episodes on tv as a kiddling.

Morninglord on
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Theres an Evangelion movie out and I want it.

Wait, it's actually out? I actually would consider this a sign of the apocalypse, if so.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Steven Universe has so many anime references it's hard to list them all.

They straight up turn a character into Captain Harlock

edited March 2021
    Just found this very comprehensive article about the life and work of Yoh Yoshinari: Yoh Yoshinari - A Living Legend of Animation

There is a MAD I would post that I found of his work...but some of you guys are watching Gurren Lagann for the first time and it would be full of spoilers.

Hexmage-PA on
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Steven Universe has so many anime references it's hard to list them all.

They straight up turn a character into Captain Harlock

I assume you mean when Lars

7lsbj6ojb8z5.png

became

vs69o3t9n8cs.jpg

This discussion has been closed.