As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

CelloCello Registered User regular
edited March 2021 in Social Entropy++
Hey folks, it's March! Again!

This one's looking a little brighter than the last - vaccines are getting in arms, the elderly are finally seeing some respite, there's a light at the end of the tunnel and some of us might even get some brief sense of normalcy back this summer and fall!

How're you holding up after the last year?

(Also keep telling me about dogs because the dog conversation from the last thread was very good thank you)

Steam
3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
Cello on

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    my friend in the SF bay area and his immediate family just got their second shots today, they're high on the list since three of them work in education I guess. He's probably suffering the strong immune response right now, the bastard.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Per the dog discussion:

I love rotties, except for the fact they drool a lot. I don't know if I could handle a very drooly dog. I remember as a small child some friends of my parents had 2 rottweilers and they were the nicest, sweetest, giant hulk dogs.

Also have to agree with tynic's recommendation to juggs for a leonberger. As long as you like hair I guess. They are amazing bear dogs, we had a regular in the pub I used to work called Max who was so awesome, really chill and there was just SO MUCH of him.

I really want a dog.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am doing okay. My work is doing a virtual get together thing on Friday and we’ve been asked to provide two truths and a lie. What I’ve got is:

1) I was born in Los Angeles
    2) I was once stuck in Istanbul following a failed military coup
    3) I build plastic robot models for a hobby

Truly, I am the most interesting man in the room

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Very tricksy. But we all know people only buy plastic robot models, they don't actually build them

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    This dog conversation is giving me a little hope I could actually swing having a dog.

I still don't know if I'd want to pull the trigger on getting one but Berners or a newfie sound like they might actually be a realistic choice should I finally crack and try to find a dog.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Every day I think of those responsible for this destruction, and I despair.

I can only beg for a single mote of justice to fall upon their necks.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Haven't had a job since April. Savings should hold out until summer, but if I can't get a job that's 100% online before I can get the vaccine, I'm fucked. I absolutely can not go back into an in-person position here, in any industry, unless it's something with zero chance of customer interaction. My employment would last until the first time someone refused to abide by mask and distance guidelines, and after that I'd be on my way to prison.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just took a quiz on the AKC website for figuring out what dog breed you want and one of the top results I got is a Swedish Vallhund, which looks like someone tried to build a husky but didn't have enough Dog Matter

svja57ux0dm9.jpg

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    One day on a walk in the park, a beautiful dog came up to me, to say hello. Copper colored, longish hair, medium size. Then the owner called her away.

Every now and then, I remember that dog. I wish I knew what kind of dog she was.

She was a Good dog

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I was sick a couple of days back, my dog came back in my dream to comfort me so that was nice
    It only happened like two times, feels surreal as heck

Peas on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    The owner of the livery yard and kennels down the road from us has a Maremma, it is extremely pleasant and has a calming presence.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I remember seeing a guy walking by with a majestic white cloud next to him.

Google tells me that kind of cloud formation is called Samojed.

I love samoyeds. I could be wrong but I wanna say they were partly bred to be ambulatory heaters so like, you can just hug one and they'll be all yeah this is cool let's keep doing this

Which is optimal coding for Dog™️ software

• TefTef Registered User regular
    According to https://www.selectadogbreed.com/ the scientific authority on dog breeds and definitely not just the first google hit, they recommend me either a Bernese mountain dog, or Saint Bernard which, yeah.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    That test there gave me English mastiffs and Irish wolf hounds as my top two which yeah that's awesome but where do you even get Irish wolf hounds?

I assume they have to be found in some kind of dark forest and you must win their respect by being pure of heart and noble of deed.

I don't think I've ever even seen an Irish wolfhound around here.

edited March 2021
    That’s the optimal way to get them but yeah you can also pay a guy

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I look back at the posts I made pre pandemic and it's a thing of wonder. Working on the front line at the hell known to men as it slid into a whole realm of unpleasant with the pandemic going on outside
    I really need just to take a mental health day or month as I am scared it's done permanent damage to me not just my fingers

I love wolfhounds but man they don't live that long, which is the main reason I would not get a giant dog even though I kind of want a giant dog.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Apparently big dogs breeds with "long" (Up to 14~ 15) lifespans does exist but I wonder if they are just harder and more expensive to find

I got from the test the current breed of monster I have the teckel

I grew up with big dogs, so anything older than 9 is good I reckon.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I grew up with big dogs, so anything older than 9 is good I reckon.

Tim Westwood?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My first pet (that I really remember) lived to like 16 and my second pet lived til 21 so I always think the lifespans of dogs to be so frickin short.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Apparently big dogs breeds with "long" (Up to 14~ 15) lifespans does exist but I wonder if they are just harder and more expensive to find

Naw, it just depends on breeding and a little luck and the breed itself, usually the lifespan doesn't factor into the cost as much as popularity, rarity, difficulty of breeding, etc

E.g., the Euro and Canadian lines of Berners are different in terms of size and lifespan, as I learned from Tynic during one of our many Berner Chats

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I need to call my doctor to see if the vaccine is available from them. I should be eligible according to the list I signed up for for the state of VA

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    So it's been a year now

I'm not really sure how I'm doing. I'm vaccinated, as is my partner, that's good. Her parents and my parents are too.

I have cabin fever pretty fucking bad

The town I live in is like actively hostile to pedestrians and bicyclists

Most of my friendships were paused, I guess

My partner and I are beginning to plan our wedding, so that's exciting

edited March 2021
    Say you are out, walking around town. You come to an intersection. Cars are parked so close to the intersection that you must step out into the road to see if you can cross the road.

There are no crosswalks painted on most intersections, there are very few stoplights, not every intersection is a four-way stop.

No roads or streets have any consistency if they're a "major" street with a right of way

Each intersection is completely random, if it will be a four-way stop or a two way stop or if one of the roads will spontaneously turn into a one-way road

Utter madnes

Utterly terrifying to traverse on foot or bicycle, dicey in a car too!

DouglasDanger on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    my boyfriend is getting his first jab this afternoon. he's been so panicked about getting it it's actually better for me than it is him

Except for the bike path I have to walk in the streets the park near my house has become a haven for people selling wares or flesh at night when I walk to work
    A game my brother and I play at night since the pandemic is firework or gunshot as it really increased over the year
    The parking lot where I work has quite a number of people living in it now and like the park people selling wares

I was used to the terror of riding my bike as the bike paths and streets are in poor condition as there are two streets the road has broken down into aggregate. Or the heat pops up the concrete slabs
    oywwm7r3f29a.jpg
    Really the pandemic did a number on this state it will not recover from the level of crime you see is just sad

I know I said a few posts ago but with this and how work was horrible before going to a new level of hell during the pandemic making it generally not fun

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    do a sick jump!

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    We got our dog Sprocket about 8 years ago. At the time we were told he was a mix of Cocker Spaniel and King Charles Cavalier. We've since discovered he actually has a background of Cocker mixed with Tibetan Spaniel and Shi Tzu.
    HBMY3t5m.jpg2zEcDkmm.jpgpfv58VSm.jpg

My partner has wanted to get him a brother or sister for awhile now, even though we also have two cats. I'm finally starting to cave, since we have the house and she's working from home for the foreseeable future so she'll be here to help the little guy adjust.
    She's fixated on this Spaniel/Dachshund mix currently named Curtis, but she wants to name Ewan MacGreggor.
    ocuDePGm.jpg

So we'll probably have two dogs after we meet him on Saturday.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    My second dose this weekend was cancelled because of possible weather.

It will be rescheduled "sometime in the near future."

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    "possible weather" is some incredibly ominous vagueness.

The house of representatives ) USA) are voting on the amended American Rescue Plan

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-relief-bill-american-rescue-plan-house-vote-watch-live-stream-today-2021-03-10/

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    "possible weather" is some incredibly ominous vagueness.

Supposedly we could see up to 96in (244cm) of snow by the end of the weekend. Even my usual snowfall accumulation rule of "divide the official estimate by 3 for the probable ACTUAL snowfall" gives an absurd figure that likely won't happen, but still.

Using the online portal I see they rescheduled me for two weeks later. Using the same portal I just rescheduled it to Monday afternoon. We'll see.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    244cm of snow sure would be some possible weather.

Leaving your building from first floor window weather.

honovere on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Haven't had a job since April. Savings should hold out until summer, but if I can't get a job that's 100% online before I can get the vaccine, I'm fucked. I absolutely can not go back into an in-person position here, in any industry, unless it's something with zero chance of customer interaction. My employment would last until the first time someone refused to abide by mask and distance guidelines, and after that I'd be on my way to prison.

Ugh. What are the vaccine prospects looking like there?

BahamutZERO.gif
    The Covid rescue bill passed the house, Biden is going to sign it into law on Friday

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    so are people gonna start saying where's my $600 Joe?
    or split it and those who got cut off by the new income reporting restrictions get to say where's my $2,000?
    or in solidarity will we continue to ask where our $2,000 is?

zkHcp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.