As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I've recovered from my momentary insanity, I'm not going to totally start over. I remembered that this pattern might turn out crap anyway, and I have a list of other pieces I want to do after this, so I really don't want to make it take any longer than its already going to.

Seems to be going a bit better since I started paying more attention to my... tension. So I think maybe I was making it too tight by trying to go quickly. Also I switched to a larger needle which might be helping as I think it expands the holes a bit so the thread drags less and doesn't get as thin. Previously I was using the smallest needle I've ever seen.

That's a good idea of doing some stitching over as well, maybe once I'm done if there's bits I hate I'll go over them with another half stitch.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    So if I'm right, my panels were double the size of the default fit.
    I was right. The designer refunded me the cost and offered to troubleshoot, seeming pretty confident there's an easy fix.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    One thing I'm finding really frustrating with this cross stitch is how much fabric I can see through my stitches. I see other people's work on Reddit or wherever, where they're using the same fabric count and same number of strands as me, and their stitches look so tightly packed you can't see the fabric at all. I occasionally get tiny sections where they come out like that but mostly the whole thing is gappy and I kind of hate it.

I'm considering starting again and using 2 strands. But when I tested that before it felt kind of hard to get the needle through so I don't know if it would be enjoyable to do thousands of stitches like it. And it's just annoying because clearly I shouldn't need to use 2.

1 strand on 25 might be a little sparse for darker colors, I do think doubling it will fix your issue. But I 100% agree that 2 strands on high count aida is not fun, I have a piece in progress where I've done the opposite, started out on 2 but switched to 1 because I got so annoyed with struggling with it. (I'll take a picture later, I think it's a good concrete example of what a difference just 1 strand makes)

Also consider that not all fabric is made the same, a cheap walmart aida is not going to end up with the same result as a more finely crafted fabric. Hell I've had at least 1 piece where the fabric itself wasn't uniformly consistent and it's definitely noticeable which section is which.

lonelyahava's observation of pulling it too tight is a good one, it's an easy mistake to make when starting out. Not only will doing so reduce the color presence, it can actually warp the fabric if you keep doing it. My first big piece has waves in it from tightening too much lol

I've never seen a cross stitch pattern that called for fewer than 2 strands for the actual cross-stitching (backstitch is usually one strand). That includes a pattern I did on 28-ct evenweave (over 2 threads so it was 14 sts/in., but still).

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    One thing I'm finding really frustrating with this cross stitch is how much fabric I can see through my stitches. I see other people's work on Reddit or wherever, where they're using the same fabric count and same number of strands as me, and their stitches look so tightly packed you can't see the fabric at all. I occasionally get tiny sections where they come out like that but mostly the whole thing is gappy and I kind of hate it.

I'm considering starting again and using 2 strands. But when I tested that before it felt kind of hard to get the needle through so I don't know if it would be enjoyable to do thousands of stitches like it. And it's just annoying because clearly I shouldn't need to use 2.

1 strand on 25 might be a little sparse for darker colors, I do think doubling it will fix your issue. But I 100% agree that 2 strands on high count aida is not fun, I have a piece in progress where I've done the opposite, started out on 2 but switched to 1 because I got so annoyed with struggling with it. (I'll take a picture later, I think it's a good concrete example of what a difference just 1 strand makes)

Also consider that not all fabric is made the same, a cheap walmart aida is not going to end up with the same result as a more finely crafted fabric. Hell I've had at least 1 piece where the fabric itself wasn't uniformly consistent and it's definitely noticeable which section is which.

lonelyahava's observation of pulling it too tight is a good one, it's an easy mistake to make when starting out. Not only will doing so reduce the color presence, it can actually warp the fabric if you keep doing it. My first big piece has waves in it from tightening too much lol

I've never seen a cross stitch pattern that called for fewer than 2 strands for the actual cross-stitching (backstitch is usually one strand). That includes a pattern I did on 28-ct evenweave (over 2 threads so it was 14 sts/in., but still).

I didnt get a chance to take a pic yet but 28ct evenweave is what I'm using 1 thread on and I'm really pleased with the results.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I feel like most pieces I've seen on 25ct or up have used a single strand, if it's not over 2

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    If you can find a slim enough needle, you might be able to stitch over those areas where you're bothered by the fabric show-through with another single strand? That's about all I can think of that doesn't involve unpicking but given how much you've done I'd hate to see you have to start over

that said I'm about to entirely unknit and redo a hat because I foolishly trusted the measurements in the pattern and the authors self-assessment that they "have a big head." Reader, they do not.

Sorry, the author just meant that they were reeallllly full of themselves.

I feel like most pieces I've seen on 25ct or up have used a single strand, if it's not over 2

Fair. Smallest I've ever done is 18 ct :smile:

edited March 2021
    Okay, original caftan:
    IMG_20210226_161023698_HDR_medium2.jpg

Basted hem, with a belt:
    IMG_20210226_171720397_medium2.jpg

Confident enough in my assessment / math / experience from the first to cut regardless of feedback
    IMG_20210305_192216156_HDR_medium2.jpg

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I'm working on a thing for @Tef

Going with a green epoxy but need to do a color test but that's tomorrow me problem.

PSN: jfrofl
    edited March 2021
    Week 3. 6.8%
    Mostly been doing green. It's a good thing I like green because there is going to be so much green.

Stitches are looking better when I'm not doing black and the darkest brown. So it's maybe a good thing I started with the darkest bit so I can get that over with as quickly as possible.

avcn6kuw1t1h.jpg

Bonus pic
    He's still here

jbdbi0fujxiq.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I shot my first few little restoration videos!

on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know a free video editing software for turning videos right side up? asking for a friend whose phone doesn't seem to have that option

edit: never mind, he found it

Xaquin on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Week 3. 6.8%
    Mostly been doing green. It's a good thing I like green because there is going to be so much green.

Stitches are looking better when I'm not doing black and the darkest brown. So it's maybe a good thing I started with the darkest bit so I can get that over with as quickly as possible.

avcn6kuw1t1h.jpg

Bonus pic
    He's still here

jbdbi0fujxiq.jpg

I'm still not sure what you're making and am excited every time you post to see more and more of it

edited March 2021
    That's cool, I thought it might actually be boring and nobody cared because it doesn't change much.

Incidentally me doing this is all your fault because I went looking at those diamond art things after you posted your first one, and I didn't find any kits I liked, but it reminded me a bit of cross stitch and then I realised I used to like doing cross stitch so maybe I should try it again and now here we are

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I primed two of my chaos dudes finally. Using my airbrush. Not much to look at now. Just semigloss vallejo black primer that I will start after it cures with a base coat of matte black so they aren't shiny.

Let's hope I have the brush control tomorrow to get them to look half as good as @webguy20 made his models look when I start painting them... :rotate:

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I primed two of my chaos dudes finally. Using my airbrush. Not much to look at now. Just semigloss vallejo black primer that I will start after it cures with a base coat of matte black so they aren't shiny.

Let's hope I have the brush control tomorrow to get them to look half as good as @webguy20 made his models look when I start painting them... :rotate:

Practice Practice Practice! There is a definite progression from my first models to my most current ones, and I still have a long way to go. My next journey is learning stippling and blending along with improving my edge highlighting and drybrushing.

Big thing for brush control is figuring out how to brace your hand against other surfaces in relation to the model to steady things out. So much of my painting is one hand pushing against the other or braced against the desk or even my face (Usually when I'm trying to paint eyes).

I'm jealous of your airbrush. I have an airbrush, but no compressor, or a place to use it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Let's hope I have the brush control tomorrow to get them to look half as good as webguy20 made his models look when I start painting them... :rotate:

Practice Practice Practice! There is a definite progression from my first models to my most current ones, and I still have a long way to go. My next journey is learning stippling and blending along with improving my edge highlighting and drybrushing.

Big thing for brush control is figuring out how to brace your hand against other surfaces in relation to the model to steady things out. So much of my painting is one hand pushing against the other or braced against the desk or even my face (Usually when I'm trying to paint eyes).

I'm jealous of your airbrush. I have an airbrush, but no compressor, or a place to use it.

Mine is a cheap Chinese little portable battery powered one. It works fine for priming indoors honestly though which is why I got it from Amazon for like 60 bucks. It it weren't for the boycott I would just link you the one I bought.

But yeah most of my models look fine from table distance and in pictures on my phone. But if I look at the pictures on a bigger screen like my pc I see it's easy messier. I've been painting sparingly on and off since like 05 or 06. My gun mage is my best model. My most advanced technique is just dry brushing but I tend to go a little heavier than I need with it on accident in places. Which works fine sometimes. But can look kinda weird if you do it with too bright a color on say black armor?

Really though I think I'll do ok. Just got to take my time with them.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Came out well

I’m out of 20gauge wire, gotta wait until my order comes before I can make more, but I’m happy with this

jnij103vqi2i.png
    At first glance I thought those were paperclips :razz:

Taken a break from my big cross stitch thing and started on a couple of the charts I bought, just to see what they're like. One is the traditional-style cross stitch sampler, and I've made a wee house
    s25ka8t5n3nn.jpg

The other is the animal alphabet for my nephews and so far I've just started doing the boxes for all the letters
    5dv2dha3txtm.jpg

The photos don't show the fabric colours well. The sampler I wanted to do on a rustic tan/raw colour linen, but most places were out of stock I guess because of lockdowns and Brexit, so I got this from etsy. It's described as 'tea' but it has almost a peach tint to it. I don't really like it but it'll do since I'm mainly doing these as practice. The alphabet one is yellow but it's a very muted pastel yellow which also looks a bit peach for some reason. I might try backing it with yellow card when I frame it to make it a bit stronger.

Obviously would have been much better if I could buy fabric from a physical shop so I could see it before buying, having to choose colours online is pretty dodgy.

They're both the same fabric count but the alphabet one is evenweave, same as the stuff I'm doing my big picture on, while the sampler is on linen, I don't know if it has a more descriptive name than that. The threads are a lot less consistent, which makes it more complicated to stitch on, I have to pay a lot more attention to make sure I'm stitching in the right holes while the evenweave is super easy. But the linen I think definitely looks more old fashioned and rustic which I like.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The weave in that linen is gorgeous.

Sorry I'm just eyeing up the actual fabric in your photos and feeling all kinds of envy.

Oh to have the time and space to create cloth like that.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I made a knife block recently. It's made of durian wood, and has tung oil on it - it probably wants more than two coats as it soaked in a lot, but I kinda like the look of it like this.

I know we have a couple librarians in here! Anyone know how to clean and preserve a leather(?) book cover?

It's got beautiful raised leather(?) that I definitely want to keep in good condition

bel2kvtyujvf.jpg

dc17mecor6zs.jpg

tz6eygs44to1.jpg

@Jedoc might have some idea? Or @Librarian's ghost maybe?

Also does anyone have any thoughts on a good image for a contest? Needs to be a public domain or creative commons image that I can use for image tracing, so ideally something with more simple colors? It's for the CNC forum I'm part of. Contest link if anyone is interested: https://community.carbide3d.com/t/community-challenge-19/31285

Also putting finishing touches on the board for @Tef which is exciting. Hoping to have oil on it tonight and pictures soon!

Radiation wrote: »
    @Jedoc might have some idea? Or @Librarian's ghost maybe?

Also does anyone have any thoughts on a good image for a contest? Needs to be a public domain or creative commons image that I can use for image tracing, so ideally something with more simple colors? It's for the CNC forum I'm part of. Contest link if anyone is interested: https://community.carbide3d.com/t/community-challenge-19/31285

Also putting finishing touches on the board for @Tef which is exciting. Hoping to have oil on it tonight and pictures soon!

I was searching all over for TimSpork's Ghost! I forgot about the name change lol

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Jedoc might have some idea? Or Librarian's ghost maybe?

Also putting finishing touches on the board for Tef which is exciting. Hoping to have oil on it tonight and pictures soon!

I was searching all over for TimSpork's Ghost! I forgot about the name change lol

Sorry, I didn't put any levels into the archivist subclass. I think William Blades had public librarians down as Enemies of Books right after Servants and Children and right before Other Vermin. My preservation work is limited to taping the cover back on a copy of the Hunger Games so we can get one more circ out of it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I don't know much about books, but dubbin works well for boots and jackets, and Autoglym make a nice leather balm for car seats.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wtf, somehow I lost my bookmark on this thread!

@lonelyahava I feel you are the PA loom expert, do you know anything about using hand looms to make clothes? Are you stuck with square-patterned clothes based on the nature of looming? Like I assume it's not possible to cut into something you looked without it falling apart, but can you loom a different shape besides a square?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited March 2021
    you use a loom to weave, that fabric is woven. (unless you're referring to knitting looms, but those are newer and not the default 'loom'.)

you can weave circles, half-circles, triangles, diamonds, or squares on probably any standard frame loom, though i suspect the last three shapes are easiest on a rectangular loom; round looms offer a different warp layout for circles and half-circles. you can also make or buy specialized looms in whatever shape.

part of finishing a weaving is tying off the ends, but especially if you sew a binding or just stitch inside the area you want to cut, even rectangular fabric made with larger yarn can be cut into; a similar process with knits is called steeking. but almost all fabric you can buy --machine- knit or woven-- has a selvedge to stabilize it until used; sewing by its nature secures the fabric, and as the selvedge is generally a much tighter weave & firmer in commercial fabric, it often behaves differently than the rest of the cloth and is thus cut off. a selvedge that dense is less common in hand weaving, but people have been sewing handwoven cloth for a long time, many thousands of years longer than industrial involvement.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    What pooka said.

I'm working up the courage to do some plain weave soon, then get some light interface and lining and then turning the fabric into a skirt for my kid.

Weaving is, essentially, creating fabric. The way it has been done for centuries. One that fabric comes off the loom, what you do with it is up to you.

I mean, just kind other fibre arts, there are limitations based on your variables that you've used, but it's trial and error for the most part.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    I'm also looking at wee benchtop CNC mills/engraving machine becuase I've found some that will do that (and have an addon laser head) for <£500 rather than the £2K+ I was expecting.

Yes they're limited especially compared to the industrial grade kit we have at work but I think they could act as a good training tool. I'm gonna see if I can persuade my boss that the company would benefit from buying me one. It'll probably be a no but hey, "don't ask dont get" right?

If work could pay for it, it might be better to push for one of the ones that would be a bit more beefy/robust. Not sure what materials you prototype in, but the cheaper 3040 might not be as timely on doing something in aluminium compared to getting like the Nomad 3 or Bantam tools new machine.
    Related to the 3040 but some guy just made a big fixture plate for his and I love it:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hobbycnc/comments/lmusxz/heres_the_build_video_to_the_fixture_plate_i/

My buddy just got his snapmaker 2 a while ago (which has the ability to 3d print, laser, cnc all in one). And I've been wanting to figure out a project to put my machines against his to sort of see how they work out.

All that to say that I'd be really interested in seeing what you are going to do/if you're able to get a robot!

Well my boss didn't really respond to my hints so I may be out of luck there.

When i initially posted I was looking at the 3018 CNCs for ~£300-400. But looking around today I've found this 4030 CNC which seems to offer a lot more capability albeit at triple the price.

I kind of want it but then again with the access to the work kit (though that tends to be giving my request/file to the guys running them for the CNC stuff) I'm not sure I really need, or have a particular use, for one.

Or space to put it really, it's a shame our front brickbuilt "shed" gets so goddamn damp. I might have to finally sort out getting a shed/garage built in the back garden (only been saying that since we moved in....12 years ago).

Of course what I really want is a place in the country with a barn that I can fill with kit. But that requires money.

ETA: The Bantam and Nomad look good but significantly more expensive.

Ashaman42 on
    edited March 2021
    So after *checks notes* ALMOST 2 MONTHS!
    I've finished a thing for @Tef which I think turned out pretty good.

I have not, as of yet, finished a thing for @bowen (keycaps), or @Bucketman (Dice holder thingy), or @webguy20 (dice/figurine display thingy).
    If this were my actual job I'd be fired. I'm sorry (also sorry, but not really, for the @)
    I'm also looking at wee benchtop CNC mills/engraving machine becuase I've found some that will do that (and have an addon laser head) for <£500 rather than the £2K+ I was expecting.

Yes they're limited especially compared to the industrial grade kit we have at work but I think they could act as a good training tool. I'm gonna see if I can persuade my boss that the company would benefit from buying me one. It'll probably be a no but hey, "don't ask dont get" right?

If work could pay for it, it might be better to push for one of the ones that would be a bit more beefy/robust. Not sure what materials you prototype in, but the cheaper 3040 might not be as timely on doing something in aluminium compared to getting like the Nomad 3 or Bantam tools new machine.
    Related to the 3040 but some guy just made a big fixture plate for his and I love it:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hobbycnc/comments/lmusxz/heres_the_build_video_to_the_fixture_plate_i/

My buddy just got his snapmaker 2 a while ago (which has the ability to 3d print, laser, cnc all in one). And I've been wanting to figure out a project to put my machines against his to sort of see how they work out.

All that to say that I'd be really interested in seeing what you are going to do/if you're able to get a robot!

Well my boss didn't really respond to my hints so I may be out of luck there.

When i initially posted I was looking at the 3018 CNCs for ~£300-400. But looking around today I've found this 4030 CNC which seems to offer a lot more capability albeit at triple the price.

I kind of want it but then again with the access to the work kit (though that tends to be giving my request/file to the guys running them for the CNC stuff) I'm not sure I really need, or have a particular use, for one.

Or space to put it really, it's a shame our front brickbuilt "shed" gets so goddamn damp. I might have to finally sort out getting a shed/garage built in the back garden (only been saying that since we moved in....12 years ago).

Of course what I really want is a place in the country with a barn that I can fill with kit. But that requires money.

ETA: The Bantam and Nomad look good but significantly more expensive.

Oh yeah, Bantam/Nomad are quite a bit higher on the price list compared to the 3040. I have been eying a new Nomad, because they are so pretty (also nearly twice as fast as my current gen), but not sure that's a robot I can afford. Also I like the barn workshop idea! That's certainly something on my super wish list.

Radiation on
    beautiful!

also, we need to craft a new thread!

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Hell yes, I’m very excited for it to arrive. Gonna put so many charcuteries on that bad boy

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    @Radiation never be sorry for doing cool craft stuff.

And hey I'm sorry I haven't been online much recently but real life has kept me busy!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm writing a strongly worded letter to your supervisor radiation.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Xaquin wrote: »
    beautiful!

also, we need to craft a new thread!

Well go on then. I'm too shy to start one

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Go for it. I'll upcycle this one into an argument about stuffed crust pizza.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    stuffed crust pizza is amazing

No it's not!