As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU TV] Open spoilers for Falcon & Winter Soldier, WandaVision

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited May 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the Marvel TV thread, for all things Marvel shortform content, on Disney Plus and elsewhere.

5k1i7ksa1vm0.png

-Disney+-

WandaVision
9ru5iam0vxrk.jpg

The first show made for the MCU, by the MCU, starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany. This mindbending series introduces some favorites both new and old, and a series everyone can agree will wow and shock you! Available now to stream on D+

https://youtu.be/sj9J2ecsSpo

Falcon and The Winter Solider
s46zbgtsbmir.jpg
Starring Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan, we see a returning Baron Zemo take on Falcon and Bucky. While Falcon decides how to handle the mantle of Captain America, Bucky tries to just handle being his partner in this buddy-cop style adventure. Available to stream March 19th on D+.

https://youtu.be/IWBsDaFWyTE

Loki
e1ngfxwp8qwg.jpg

Starring Tom Hiddleston, this romp through time and space features the continuing adventures of Loki, after his escape with the Tesseract in Endgame. Hijinks ensue? Available June 8th to stream where else but D+

https://youtu.be/nW948Va-l10

What If?
xrphew52fdm2.jpg

This series stars multiple MCU alums, including the late great Chadwick Boseman. Featuring unique stories from different possible universes, this anthology series features heroes reborn and zombies, plus more? Coming August 2021

https://youtu.be/4iLVoEg9aLk

Ms Marvel
rcyarww3euyw.jpg
*Fan made poster
This show about the optimistic teen hero Kamala Kahn, played by newcomer Iman Vellani, is sure to explode a new kind of hero onto the screen. Expect this to tie into Captain Marvel 2! Streaming 2021.

Hawkeye
9rfwiuw81cek.jpg
*Fan made poster
This series starring Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld features not one bow guy, but two bow guys?! Finally the purple H-head gets his own series, likely passing the mantle down from one hawk to another. Available 2022... Maybe

She-Hulk
xdb3ftvzmt4r.jpg
*Fan made poster
This green lawyer finally breaks the 4th wall into the MCU, with a comedy series about the biggest and baddest hero who you can also catch at the bar. Played by Tatiana Maslany, Coming 2022.

Moon Knight
wk8bvb4r6c51.jpg
*Fan made poster
Little is known about this Oscar Isaac led series about the moonlit defender. Possibly the MCU's first jewish hero(?) is set to begin filming soon. Streaming in 2022.

Secret Invasion
btl85fp5juhr.jpg
So far everything with the Skrulls has been a subversion, so who knows what this series has in store. Slated for 2022.

The Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special
e5vuuk4ipb41.jpg
James Gunn returns before GotG3 for this amusing parody of the Star Wars Xmas Special with the Guardian cast. Also a short film titles "I Am Groot!" Will be part of this release. Release TBA

Ironheart
8bape0wlmjx1.jpg

In stark contrast to the original iron man, this story is about a very different kind of power suited hero. Release TBA

Iron Wars
r1pst7sldm6b.jpg
Iron Man may be gone but his legacy isn't. Release TBA

Untitled Wakanda Project
Release TBA

untitled Echo Project
Release TBA

-Marvel Television and Legacy Content-

Marvel's M.O.D.O.K.
ghy2z82mpeqb.jpg

Starring Patton Oswalt, Aimee Garcia and Ben Schwartz, this stop motion show in the vein of Robot Chicken and Harley Quinn is one of the few Marvel shows not on D+, but on Hulu March 21st

https://youtu.be/oSEWdhHBlYU

Hit Monkey
Hulu will air a Hit-Monkey animated series written and executive produce by Will Speck and Josh Gordon. Originally intended to part of the same universe as MODOK and was supposed to lead to an Offenders crossover event, this series is now a standalone and (apparently) still in production

Legacy Content (Non Canon but MCU adjacent)
Agents of Shield
Agent Carter
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Punisher
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
The Defenders
Legion
Inhumans
The Gifted
Runaways

Local H Jay on

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    reminder this thread is open spoiler for all current MCU shows released on D+. As of this post, that's just WandaVision and Falcon & The Winter Solider. Speculation can be unspoilered but no leaks outside of spoilers

Okay I think I got them all, lemme know if anyone has any input for the OP

Realizing now that's a fake poster for Hawkeye but whatever for now I guess lmao

Local H Jay on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Falcon and Winter Soldier starts in just over a week on 19th March for a total of 6 episodes.

Loki starts 11th June, also with 6 episodes.

What If? starts at some point this summer, but has 23 episodes.

Ms Marvel is the last one this year, coming out at some point towards the end of 2021.

Hawkeye is after that in 2022, but we've not got firm dates for Moon Knight and She Hulk (nor I am Groot, Ironheart, Armour Wars or Secret Invasion)

edited March 2021
    Yeah I wasn't sure how to list those last 4, I guess I'll wait for some more information. Thanks!

Also I just realized they teased Wanda's scarlet witch outfit in that poster at the top, I never realized how similar to Vis' design but when you see them next to one another it's weird.

Local H Jay on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    WandaVision was fun.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier I'm super stoked for, much more than I was WandaVision. Looks like it'll be a fun buddy romp and I'm all for those.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Of the recent releases, Loki's the one I'm most interested in.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    isn't Secret Invasion this year?

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    isn't Secret Invasion this year?

Wouldn't be much of a secret if they told us, now would it?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Secret Invasion begins filming after She-Hulk and Moon Knight, both of which are set for 2022.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Secret Invasion begins filming after She-Hulk and Moon Knight, both of which are set for 2022.

I just knew it was before Captain Marvel 2

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is Secret Invasion a show or movie?(or game? or box of assorted snacks?)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I've assumed everything on Disney+ was a series, or at least everything they have committed to being on the platform.
    Seems a weird gamble to put a full movie on the streaming platform rather than in theatres - but after this year, who knows?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I've assumed everything on Disney+ was a series, or at least everything they have committed to being on the platform.
    Seems a weird gamble to put a full movie on the streaming platform rather than in theatres - but after this year, who knows?

The budgets for these series are up with their films. WandaVision was reportedly around 25 million an episode. Even considering the first few were lower due to less people, CGI and being contained in small sets, you’re still probably looking at $150+ million for the series. The Mandalorian cost the same.

They seem happy to spend that without box office or even DVD/blu ray sales to cover it.

They want this content to bring people to Disney+ As permanent subscribers, not people who turn it off after a month.

The Mandalorian is apparently also a tech demo, so a lot of the crazy budget is more a test bed to see what new things work and to iron out the kinks before it's used on a film.
    But yeah, D+ subs are the new DVD sales.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    WandaVision was fun.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier I'm super stoked for, much more than I was WandaVision. Looks like it'll be a fun buddy romp and I'm all for those.

It was certainly not what I expected and almost entirely in good ways. I'm definitely interested in seeing what Wanda's place will be in the future of the MCU; I think she's now at a point where she understands why people are afraid of her and no longer thinks she can stop it, but is no longer willing to let it overwhelm her because she's seen the extreme hazard in letting anything overwhelm her. The way things ended in WandaVision made her seem pretty cold, but there was also nothing else she could do with the situation; no amount of apology would correct what had happened and everyone would still be terrified of her, so why stick around continuing to make them afraid? Better to just leave and let them get back to their lives. She's in a treacherous place on a personal level, but also one that affords her a big opportunity to stop popping up as a problem in the stories of other people and instead have decent control of her own future.

I'm sure Sam and Bucky are going to have some heavy moments as well, but I'm crossing my fingers that it will stick with being a more lighthearted venture.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    We're only now watching Wandavision and we're roughly five episodes into the series - though we might have to take a bit of a break. My wife's father died very recently and as she started to realise what the series is about she turned to me and said, "Perhaps this is not the best thing to watch at the moment..."

I wasn't completely sold on the first two episodes; the balance between the sitcom aspects and the more ominous, disturbing undertone didn't altogether work for me. Roughly from episode 3 I was fully onboard, though. Very curious to see the rest of this, even if it'll only be in a month or so.

I wasn't altogether interested in Falcon and the Winter Soldier based on the early trailers, but I liked the tone of the recent clip about wizards and sorcerers, and I'll definitely be tuning in more for the mismatched buddy stuff (which I already liked in Civil War) than the action. Also, I'm curious to see how the series'll handle its apparent Big Bad.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Some of the posters in the OP are not real posters btw, like the Hawkeye poster. Pretty sure that's a fan casting?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I’m sure F&WS will be fine, but for now I’m not mad enthused. Despite the wings and robo-arm, their fighting super powers boil down to ‘man has gun’ which often feels a bit silly in the circumstances. Hopefully in this team up vehicle they can pitch something appropriate to make them interesting.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Their powers/etc are probably tangential at best. I'm looking forward to the buddy cop aspect of it.

WandaVision was fun.

It was certainly not what I expected and almost entirely in good ways. I'm definitely interested in seeing what Wanda's place will be in the future of the MCU; I think she's now at a point where she understands why people are afraid of her and no longer thinks she can stop it, but is no longer willing to let it overwhelm her because she's seen the extreme hazard in letting anything overwhelm her. The way things ended in WandaVision made her seem pretty cold, but there was also nothing else she could do with the situation; no amount of apology would correct what had happened and everyone would still be terrified of her, so why stick around continuing to make them afraid? Better to just leave and let them get back to their lives. She's in a treacherous place on a personal level, but also one that affords her a big opportunity to stop popping up as a problem in the stories of other people and instead have decent control of her own future.

I'm sure Sam and Bucky are going to have some heavy moments as well, but I'm crossing my fingers that it will stick with being a more lighthearted venture.

Were I a betting man, I would put money on that Falcon and the Winter Soldier will all be so we can set up Zemo being submitted to the Thunderbolts program.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited March 2021
    lol, I just realized that the fanmade Hawkeye poster we have in the OP is advertising the wrong actress as Kate Bishop. :lol:

That must have been made before they officially announced who was playing her.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    WandaVision was fun.

Were I a betting man, I would put money on that Falcon and the Winter Soldier will all be so we can set up Zemo being submitted to the Thunderbolts program.

I expect there will be more than JUST that, but I’m fully betting on some sort of setup for Thunderbolts. Off the wall guess? Ross (his nickname was Thunderbolt after all) setting it up as a Suicide Squad-ish team.

ManetherenWolf on
    edited March 2021
    I agree, I wasn't meaning the only thing, but I have a feeling that will be the end result. Lead into the Thunderbolts. Definitely Marvel's version of the Suicide Squad type team. I need to see how Marvel makes the Citizen V costume not look silly. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    I love Zemo so would love to see Thunderbolts (my personal guess is Thunderbolts will be General Ross' team against the Skrulls in Secret Invasion), but also Norman Osborn and the Dark Avengers. They seem to be setting up Young Avengers though

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think Dr Erskine is the only Jewish character we’ve seen so far in the MCU?

At least the Thing will help pad those stats when he finally shows up

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I agree, I wasn't meaning the only thing, but I have a feeling that will be the end result. Lead into the Thunderbolts. Definitely Marvel's version of the Suicide Squad type team. I need to see how Marvel makes the Citizen V costume not look silly. :P

From the images I've seen, I think that just losing the Stars and Stripes cape would probably do it.
    It is MCU, so they're not above going a little goofy with the costumes. Looking at you Iron Patriot and Whiplash.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Hmm. You know USAgent is also getting introduced in F&WS, and I wanna say I heard Abomination is supposed to return in She Hulk. Both could also be good additions for a Thunderbolts team (perhaps with USAgent in the warden/ overseer role)

Atomika wrote: »

Dr. Erskine was German I think, not Jewish. :?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!

Those are not exclusive, historically

True, very true.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!

Wanda and Pietro are Jewish

In the MCU though?

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    So I guess they just moved on with Renner despite him threatening to kill his ex?

Cool

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist

In the MCU though?

Maybe. We don't know anything about Sokovia except that it flies better than most cities. The internecine warfare seems like something an Eastern European Jewish family would have to deal with, though.

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    I said it in the last thread, but I'm going to say again that I really hope they keep the narrative inversion on the Skrulls intact for Secret Invasion, maybe with a Skrull infiltration being used to counter to a more hostile one from another race (Kree or Sovereign both come to mind as potentials). Having rogue Skrulls splinter from Talos' refugees (or worse, a completely unaffiliated group attacking Earth for "reasons") would just feel contrived, especially when there are Human-looking species out there with an interest in Earth (or, at least, specific Terrans).

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
    edited March 2021
    Matev wrote: »
    Trauma and grief suck and make people do sucky things, sure. We can empathize with a person while still condemning them for the shitty things they did while grieving in proportion to how shitty those things were.

I don't get out of holding a town hostage for 2 weeks with a network of bombs cause I was upset my wife died. Why is this different?

The difference is, Wanda had a mental breakdown and exploded out from there. Normal humans don't have the capacity to control a whole town like that, unless I guess they have like a bomb rigged under the whole city or something. The point is everyone is trying to use reason and rationale to explain why someone did something completely irrational and unreasonable. She lost control of her literally godlike powers during her immense mental breakdown. I keep reading people be like "I wouldn't do that" yeah... Wanda probably wouldn't have either if she had the choice... She didn't, her mind went buck and took the whole town along for the ride.

Local H Jay on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I assume the guy in the purple suit on the Falcon & Winter Soldier poster is Mephisto?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    I assume the guy in the purple suit on the Falcon & Winter Soldier poster is Mephisto?

No he's sock head larry, he steals dirty laundry and wears it in public

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I said it in the last thread, but I'm going to say again that I really hope they keep the narrative inversion on the Skrulls intact for Secret Invasion, maybe with a Skrull infiltration being used to counter to a more hostile one from another race (Kree or Sovereign both come to mind as potentials). Having rogue Skrulls splinter from Talos' refugees (or worse, a completely unaffiliated group attacking Earth for "reasons") would just feel contrived, especially when there are Human-looking species out there with an interest in Earth (or, at least, specific Terrans).

Societies aren't homegenous. It would honestly shock me if every Skrull was part of Talos' refugee faction. It would honestly be more contrived if they were all peaceniks than if there were other factions with different opinions and goals.

Especially given the comic Secret Invasion was a religious war where the Skrulls believed Earth was their fabled promised land that they were owed after Galactus ate their homeworld.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Trauma and grief suck and make people do sucky things, sure. We can empathize with a person while still condemning them for the shitty things they did while grieving in proportion to how shitty those things were.

I don't get out of holding a town hostage for 2 weeks with a network of bombs cause I was upset my wife died. Why is this different?

The difference is, Wanda had a mental breakdown and exploded out from there. Normal humans don't have the capacity to control a whole town like that, unless I guess they have like a bomb rigged under the whole city or something. The point is everyone is trying to use reason and rationale to explain why someone did something completely irrational and unreasonable. She lost control of her literally godlike powers during her immense mental breakdown. I keep reading people be like "I wouldn't do that" yeah... Wanda probably wouldn't have either if she had the choice... She didn't, her mind went buck and took the whole town along for the ride.

Also, who could punish Wanda in a way that wouldn't just make everything worse? Is the US government really in a position to take her down and imprison her against her will? Wouldn't this just risk more lives as Wanda tries to save herself and people get caught in the crossfire? Do you risk Wanda going even further over the edge and deciding if humanity can't leave her be she can't leave them be either?

Maybe if Strange wants to do something about it, he could get there. Everyone else? No way.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

And I'm not saying that she shouldn't have like she's some moral paragon, that's not where I'm at in the debate. Regardless of her intent, it was done, and I'm saying that people are in the right to think of her as someone not to be trusted when this keeps happening, if and until she gets training to control her powers, which iI'd just as much put back to the Avengers for not helping her when she obviously, desperately needs it. It sucks, but also Wanda isn't without fault here, and she'd be the first to tell you that. (And if she didn't, then she's exactly the villain others are making her out to be)

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
This discussion has been closed.