As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I need something new to play. I wanted to like BD2, but something about the monster styles really put me off. Also didn’t like the characters much.

I wish Triangle Strategy was closer, a tactics game is probably just what I need.

Or I need a Stardew Valley-esque obsession. I want something chill but deep. I dunno... Spiritfarer maybe?

If you want a tactics game, have you looked into Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? I enjoyed it.

UxKpcEH.png

It's an indie game so it's not perfect and lacks some of the UI/polish perfection you might expect out of other games, but it can still scratch the itch of Final Fantasy Tactics. Very much inspired by those games.

Hmm, I’d forgotten about that one. Maybe I even bought it and forgot to play it?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Anyone have a recommendation for a bluetooth adapter for the dock? I've got a pair of headphones I'd like to use to play the Switch on the big screen at night without waking anyone up.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Anyone have a recommendation for a bluetooth adapter for the dock? I've got a pair of headphones I'd like to use to play the Switch on the big screen at night without waking anyone up.

The Genki one is the only one I'm aware of. I have their Travel Dock, and it works well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Bah, Crash 4 was not a midnight unlock. :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    it's the theme song that just isn't as good as the original...i can still here the original in my head!

Not a Faith No More fan?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it's the theme song that just isn't as good as the original...i can still here the original in my head!

Not a Faith No More fan?

the quality of the song is probably miles above the original but nostalgia is a heavy albatross

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Not a Faith No More fan?

I really hope they took the big brained option and realized that with Mike Patton already on the payroll, that's Krang's voice sorted in spectacular fashion.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is the original Bravely Default on switch?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is the original Bravely Default on switch?

No, nor is Bravely Second.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I need something new to play. I wanted to like BD2, but something about the monster styles really put me off. Also didn’t like the characters much.

I wish Triangle Strategy was closer, a tactics game is probably just what I need.

Or I need a Stardew Valley-esque obsession. I want something chill but deep. I dunno... Spiritfarer maybe?

If you want a tactics game, have you looked into Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? I enjoyed it.

UxKpcEH.png

It's an indie game so it's not perfect and lacks some of the UI/polish perfection you might expect out of other games, but it can still scratch the itch of Final Fantasy Tactics. Very much inspired by those games.

I played it for over 100 hours and loved it .... and then right around the time the bug guy joined I just stopped playing

Doesn't he join really early on?

he joins for a few turns and then leaves. Then he joins permanently. I think I quit because when he joins (or right around that time) it opens up a ton of other skills/classes (bug classes?) that held no interest to me at all.

• Options
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

That's a misleading title, looking back. The series is now on the Switch, in the same way that the Final Fantasy series was on the PS1 when Final Fantasy VII was released. There's a game in the series on the Switch, but the whole series is not.

At the moment, Bravely Default 1 and Bravely Second are only on the 3DS. Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light is only on the DS.

• Options

Yes the series is now available on the Switch, in the form of Bravely Default 2.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021

Yes the series is now available on the Switch, in the form of Bravely Default 2.

Yeah that thread title is terrible as I assumed that it meant they had put the first two games on the switch. I've wanted to play Bravely Default for a while and I got really excited thinking they had put it on Switch.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ooohhhhh

I thought second and II were the same game

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    No. Bravely Second is a sequel to Bravely Default.

Bravely Default II is a completely separate story.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'd be 100% okay if they pull a Final Fantasy and not have the stories be the same in any of the sequels.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Not a Faith No More fan?

I really hope they took the big brained option and realized that with Mike Patton already on the payroll, that's Krang's voice sorted in spectacular fashion.

I want this so much now.

Or just have him do all the voices. For everything. Forever.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Hmm, I’d forgotten about that one. Maybe I even bought it and forgot to play it?

Well, if not there's also Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Surprisingly good, and perpetually available at heavy discounts.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ok, ok! I changed the BD thread title to be less confusing.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Should have done "Bravely default on Switch with Bravely Default II" or something, imo. You made it too clear.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Ok, ok! I changed the BD thread title to be less confusing.

If you had waited a few more posts, you could have made up to 4 corrections instead.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    How about "Bravely Default is too goddamn pretentious and confusing?"

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Nah.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    How about "Bravely Default Japanese storytelling is too goddamn pretentious and confusing heavy-handed?"

Don't @ me.

• Options
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    How about "Bravely Default Japanese storytelling is too goddamn pretentious and confusing heavy-handed?"

Don't @Dr_Keenbean me.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I really want to grab a 3DS or 2DS XL as a backup just in case they get even harder to find. Not sure where to look for one as I'm sure trying to grab a fair deal on Ebay is going to be a nightmare.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So I really want to grab a 3DS or 2DS XL as a backup just in case they get even harder to find. Not sure where to look for one as I'm sure trying to grab a fair deal on Ebay is going to be a nightmare.

I recently picked up a refurb 'new' 3DS XL and yeah, it wasn't cheap. I feel like they went from being everywhere to just barely existing overnight. Nintendo only ceased production in Q3 2020.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the worst part is you can't even bravely default in the game!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Unfortunately they no longer manufacture any of the 3DS/2DS line. I ran into a similar issue when I was looking into replacing my old model. Ended up just not since I didn't want to spend upwards of $300 or more.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    the worst part is you can't even bravely default in the game!

That's not true! The dang enemies have all these counters like "attack whenever the player defaults" but I bravely choose to default anyway!

• Options
    I once again feel like saying that the first game's title: "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" sounds like a sequel to Recettear.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    BD1's subtitle is still fucking brilliant in the context of the story.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I want to get BDII but I still haven't finished BDI and I'm wary of
    Having to fight the same bosses over and over again in a time loop once again.

The Turtles Game looks awesome.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Honestly, it's so goddamn weird. Super spoilers for BD:
    First off, depending on how you use your 3DS, you might not even ever see it. With sleep modes and stuff, I usually just have the same game running all the time, so what are the odds I'll ever see the title screen again?

And I think they do the thing maybe a touch too early. But this might just be me being that damn thick. It's been so long, I don't remember when it triggers. Probably after a certain number of loops. But at the time I had zero reason at all to think anything nefarious about Airy. So when I finally saw the title screen and what it did, my first thought was "...Wait what?!". I felt like maybe it had spoiled me on that twist a little too quickly than it should have. Or maybe that was the point, to put the thought in your head at that point. Or like I said, maybe I'm just dumb and the player at that point should have started thinking something was hinky with Airy... which there totally is once you realize it (her over eagerness to keep the loop going, especially whenever somebody stops to question things).

Either way, I agree, whoever localized the subtitle was a genius. I'm curious how they pulled it off in the Japanese version, assuming it even has a Japanese subtitle. It's also possible they just kept it in English... which would be extra nefarious for a player who isn't that experienced in English. To have the warning right there in their face and they don't even understand it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2021

First off, depending on how you use your 3DS, you might not even ever see it. With sleep modes and stuff, I usually just have the same game running all the time, so what are the odds I'll ever see the title screen again?

And I think they do the thing maybe a touch too early. But this might just be me being that damn thick. It's been so long, I don't remember when it triggers. Probably after a certain number of loops. But at the time I had zero reason at all to think anything nefarious about Airy. So when I finally saw the title screen and what it did, my first thought was "...Wait what?!". I felt like maybe it had spoiled me on that twist a little too quickly than it should have. Or maybe that was the point, to put the thought in your head at that point. Or like I said, maybe I'm just dumb and the player at that point should have started thinking something was hinky with Airy... which there totally is once you realize it (her over eagerness to keep the loop going, especially whenever somebody stops to question things).

Either way, I agree, whoever localized the subtitle was a genius. I'm curious how they pulled it off in the Japanese version, assuming it even has a Japanese subtitle. It's also possible they just kept it in English... which would be extra nefarious for a player who isn't that experienced in English. To have the warning right there in their face and they don't even understand it.

AFAIK in Japan
    the subtitle was Flying Fairy and all players would've been generally expected to be able to read it. English is all over the place in Japan and I believe just about everyone learns it in school.

Actually, think about it like this...if you didn't speak French and you were playing a French game, of course you'd likely know what the title means. Partway through the game while playing, the title changes. Wouldn't this be kind of a cool mystery to be solved? Looking it up online if you have to, in order to understand what it now says, etc.?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I forget when it happens exactly, but I thought it was midway through chapter 6, when Tiz and Agnés have their private talk with Yulyana. I may be wrong.

As for the Japanese title? In English, the subtitle is “Where the fairy flies”. The title change delete most of it, leaving “Airy Lies”. In Japanese, the subtitle is also in English, and reads “Flying Fairy”. Which eventually deletes just two letter, leaving “Lying Airy”. As a bonus, the game is pretty clearly inspired by the Final Fantasy series. The real subtitle is found by deleting “FF” from the title. Which is kinda cute, since the twist is about what your classic-style quest for the crystals is really accomplishing.

Enlong on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

AFAIK in Japan
    the subtitle was Flying Fairy and all players would've been generally expected to be able to read it. English is all over the place in Japan and I believe just about everyone learns it in school.

Actually, think about it like this...if you didn't speak French and you were playing a French game, of course you'd likely know what the title means. Partway through the game while playing, the title changes. Wouldn't this be kind of a cool mystery to be solved? Looking it up online if you have to, in order to understand what it now says, etc.?
    I was thinking that maybe the English equivalent would be a game that also had hiragana under the title. I know I've seen a few games do it, but damn if I can think of a specific example. Either way, I'd know it's probably the game title or subtitle even though I can't actually "read" it. Then if one day two of those funny symbols suddenly turned red? Honestly, if I even did notice it, my first thought would probably be "Huh... did those always do that?". It's be a long time before I'd have the idea to maybe look it up to see if it meant something.

I know Japanese people probably know more English than English people know Japanese. But that's still not a 100% given. So it'd be entirely possible for a Japanese player to be playing and to suddenly say "Huh... those funny English symbols turned red... did those always do that?".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I got a 2DS just sitting around. PM me if you'd like

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills