As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exalted: "My, what big swords you have!"

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm rather partial to that image where this sidereal with a bow is apparently getting a new mission.

And far off in the background there is a single dead cow with an arrow sticking out of it.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    404404 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That cow was going to kill the entire Lookshy Council it had to die.
    But yes, Sidereals missions are laughably awesome. "The Tri-Khan of Chiaroscuro is hosting a feast for 3 prominent Realm Generals tonight. Chicken will be served. Your mission is to make sure they serve fish instead. The stability of the entire Loom depends on this."

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have to wonder.

If you have a perfect defense, as well as a very high PDV and a charm that increases your join battle or detect unexpected attacks, is a high DDV necessary?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have to wonder.

If you have a perfect defense, as well as a very high PDV and a charm that increases your join battle or detect unexpected attacks, is a high DDV necessary?
    It's not necessary, but it is helpful. Some attacks cannot be parried. Generally, though, most combatants are going to have one DV they focus on that's pretty fucking high, and another that doesn't get up to quite such epic heights.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have to wonder.

Perfect Defenses only work in specific circumstances, as defined by their Flaw of Vulnerability which you choose for each Perfect Defense you learn.

In addition, as Moe Fwacky said, many attacks cannot be blocked.

That said, you don't need super-high ratings in BOTH DVs, though if you did have it'd make you nigh invulnerable to many attacks.

My suggestion would be to invest heavily in Charms that allow you to block unblockable attacks over Dodge charms if you're relying on Dodge DV.

Remember, however, many Perfect Defenses require you to spend willpower to use. And any fight where you'd want to, you're likely to be blowing WP like it's candy on Combos and high level Charms.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    (1) Perfect Defenses only work in specific circumstances, as defined by their Flaw of Vulnerability which you choose for each Perfect Defense you learn.

(2) In addition, as Moe Fwacky said, many attacks cannot be blocked.

That said, you don't need super-high ratings in BOTH DVs, though if you did have it'd make you nigh invulnerable to many attacks.

My suggestion would be to invest heavily in Charms that allow you to block unblockable attacks over Dodge charms if you're relying on Dodge DV.

(3)Remember, however, many Perfect Defenses require you to spend willpower to use. And any fight where you'd want to, you're likely to be blowing WP like it's candy on Combos and high level Charms.

I'll take your points one by one, you made some big errors (bolded mine)

1) As a rule, GMs should be using the FoVs to enflavor the fight and not hamstring you. Valor flaw for example, why is this even a flaw? You run at the biggest baddest guy on the battlefield and proceed to pummel him. Something you're probably doing anyway!

2) This is flat-out wrong; Exalted 2e has defense supremacy, and with a stunt anything can be blocked. Especially 'unblockable' attacks (the perfect defenses in Exalted 2e state this explicitly)

3) You're thinking of 1e. Perfects in 2e cost 4 m (Heavenly Guardian Defense and Adamant Skin Tech I do believe) and 3m (Seven Shadows Evasion)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    (1) Perfect Defenses only work in specific circumstances, as defined by their Flaw of Vulnerability which you choose for each Perfect Defense you learn.

(2) In addition, as Moe Fwacky said, many attacks cannot be blocked.

(3)Remember, however, many Perfect Defenses require you to spend willpower to use. And any fight where you'd want to, you're likely to be blowing WP like it's candy on Combos and high level Charms.

I'll take your points one by one, you made some big errors (bolded mine)

1) As a rule, GMs should be using the FoVs to enflavor the fight and not hamstring you. Valor flaw for example, why is this even a flaw? You run at the biggest baddest guy on the battlefield and proceed to pummel him. Something you're probably doing anyway!

2) This is flat-out wrong; Exalted 2e has defense supremacy, and with a stunt anything can be blocked. Especially 'unblockable' attacks (the perfect defenses in Exalted 2e state this explicitly)

3) You're thinking of 1e. Perfects in 2e cost 4 m (Heavenly Guardian Defense and Adamant Skin Tech I do believe) and 3m (Seven Shadows Evasion)

1) Oh, I agree, I'm just saying that there ARE times when they're not applicable. For example, with the Valor flaw, should one of your buddies be overwhelmed by lesser enemies, you have to give up your perfect defenses, turn your back on the Deathknight assaulting you, and help them, or let them die.

2) Defense has always trumped attack. But attacks that render one or the other DV inapplicable reduce your DV of that type to zero before bonuses, yes? Meaning your 8 PDV might become a 1 or 2 after stunting and such, or that you might have to blow a lot more essence on them than you wanted to.

3) You're right here, I concede that point, it wasn't perfect defenses I was thinking of, it seems to be the powers that allow you to face multiple enemies at once with lower penalties and such.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having a Perfect Defense. It's usually a great defensive option. I'm just saying that relying on it overmuch can get an Exalt killed.

Addendum: to USE a Perfect Defense you either need to Combo it or not use Charms on your own attacks, as well, so that's another consideration. If you use any Charm during your turn, you can't use your defensive Charms until your next action rolls around.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    well yeah, but who DOESN'T make a combo?

I always have, I had a martial artist who comboed Hungry Tiger Technique, Second Martial Arts Excellency, Thunderclap Rush Attack (I think that's the name), Seven Shadows Evasion, and Solar Hero Form

it was pretty elementary but for a basic starter combo I got a lot of mileage out of it... it basically allowed me to make 3 martial arts attacks at speed 3 (Essence 3 Solar) at double pre-soak lethal damage, doubled post-soak for 1m for Solar Hero Form... second melee excellency for extra successes of course. It was a great combo for putting down Dragonblooded heroes who have no perfect defenses... I think I killed a Winglord with something like 72L with one punch

the moral of this story of course is that combos are awesome

It's highly recommended you start with one, even a basic one, if you can spare the bonus points (I had to pay for mine in Exp)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    well yeah, but who DOESN'T make a combo?

I always have, I had a martial artist who comboed Hungry Tiger Technique, Second Martial Arts Excellency, Thunderclap Rush Attack (I think that's the name), Seven Shadows Evasion, and Solar Hero Form

it was pretty elementary but for a basic starter combo I got a lot of mileage out of it... it basically allowed me to make 3 martial arts attacks at speed 3 (Essence 3 Solar) at double pre-soak lethal damage, doubled post-soak for 1m for Solar Hero Form... second melee excellency for extra successes of course. It was a great combo for putting down Dragonblooded heroes who have no perfect defenses... I think I killed a Winglord with something like 72L with one punch

the moral of this story of course is that combos are awesome

It's highly recommended you start with one, even a basic one, if you can spare the bonus points (I had to pay for mine in Exp)

Well, that's the point though... now you have to spend WP for your defensive Charm, and should your opponent choose to use a perfect defense, or hell, ANY defense that manages to overcome your attack, you're basically wasting all that Essence.

That's why duels between two powerful Essence weilders tend to take forever. They spend a whole bunch of rounds going ".... I can't use my Charms yet, you're not out of Essence and you might kill me!" at one another. *L*

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    this is so very true

while we were playing that's the precise reason we very seldom went up against celestial exalts. pummeling terrestrials who lack perfect defenses is so very satisfying

which is odd considering I love the terrestrials

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The sheer number of dice that I've seen rolled in combat between Exalted is terrifying and awe-inspiring.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    After a certain point you're less rolling and more haphazardly throwing due to the massive quantities of dice you struggle to contain in your hands.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The perfect defense charm in question here is Serenity in Blood.

Which, while requiring a WP, blocks anything including unblockable attacks, and unexpected attacks on Melee+Perception.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    After a certain point you're less rolling and more haphazardly throwing due to the massive quantities of dice you struggle to contain in your hands.

Fistfulladitis - The condition of straining one's hand by trying to roll too many dice in the game of Exalted.

GM: "What's your raw damage?"

Inexorable Typhoon, wielder of a grand goremaul: "Uhhhh, 47?"

GM: "Oh, well he's not wearing armor so his soak is 2"

IT: "Just a sec, can I borrow some dice?"

GM: "Just stop when you get to 10, ya?"

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    *cough**cough* Yeah, that's possibly the biggest reason why I'm not actually pushing Exalted as hard as I should to my current group. I sort of lack that quantity of dice(I've got quite a few d10s, but I doubt I could scrape together more than 20)

Rainfall on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't have a probably with a classless system. In fact, I like the ST system white wolf has, but it takes too long to create a character.

Using DnD as an example you have a few steps: class, abilities, feats, skills, equipment. But in Exalted there are like 15 steps to character creation. It seems very difficult to me (noob).

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't have a probably with a classless system. In fact, I like the ST system white wolf has, but it takes too long to create a character.

Using DnD as an example you have a few steps: class, abilities, feats, skills, equipment. But in Exalted there are like 15 steps to character creation. It seems very difficult to me (noob).

This is mostly because Exalted, being as over the top as it is, is kind of more number crunchy than most White Wolf games. Exalted are incredibly awesome, so a lot more cross referencing books and so forth is required to be as awesome as possible and get a GOOD character down.

Comparitively speaking, creating a V:tR or whatever character takes mere minutes if you've already ironed out backstory and concept.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited January 2008

...I don't know if we're playing the same D&D. *L*

I can knock out a White Wolf system character, for any system I've played a few times, in about half an hour or less if I'm working at it hard enough and not distracted. D&D takes me hours. Always has.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This isn't the fairest comparison, but considering the power level, I'd much rather make an exalt than make an epic level DnD character.

Though, to be fair, I would rather kill myself than make another epic level D&D character.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This isn't the fairest comparison, but considering the power level, I'd much rather make an exalt than make an epic level DnD character.

Though, to be fair, I would rather kill myself than make another epic level D&D character.
    A thousand times yes.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was just reading through the Wonders of the First Age (or something) sourcebook about relics and I found a pair of magical 5-shooters. Do you guys have any recommendations for a ranged character? I want to try this crazy system.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I was just reading through the Wonders of the First Age (or something) sourcebook about relics and I found a pair of magical 5-shooters. Do you guys have any recommendations for a ranged character? I want to try this crazy system.

Flame Pieces and Righteous Devil Style.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've never read WotFA, but this now puts me to the mind of making an homage to Dante from DMC.:)

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    pimp my exalted character!

how do I make a badass Night caste Exalt.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Tons of different ways. What's your concept?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

So far I have no concept beyond "Hangs out with Lunar soul-mate". I haven't done much with the Exalted 2e book though, I'm mostly unfamiliar with pretty much everything mechanical. I guess I'm probably going to go with an archery-flavored guy, though.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

So far I have no concept beyond "Hangs out with Lunar soul-mate". I haven't done much with the Exalted 2e book though, I'm mostly unfamiliar with pretty much everything mechanical. I guess I'm probably going to go with an archery-flavored guy, though.
    Great, so we've established what a couple of your abilities and a few of your charms will probably be.

Outside of combat, what do you expect to be doing?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Uhm, hiding? I'm messing around with a sheet right now, and I've got Investigation, Bureaucracy, Resistance, Archery, and Martial Arts checked as my Favored Abilities (besides the Night abilities, obviously.) I've got Physical primary, Mental secondary, and Social tertiary (with Dex, Perception, and Manipulation the highest in each of those, respectively.)

I really have no idea where that takes me, though.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My friend planned to run a game of this. I made a character that was basically Zhang Jiao, because said friend loves Dynasty Warriors, and he was my favorite character. He had no possessions besides a staff and some clothes, but he lead a giant cult. He also only took one attack ability, loading up on ones for 'convincing' people to join his cult and do his work for him (and enough defensive abilities to avoid death). His name was Dang Man Wang.

My friend said I was 'doing it wrong' and refused to run the game after he realized I'd wind up with an army of peasants (who would also be sending me supplies and Essence) as soon as we went into the first town.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Uhm, hiding? I'm messing around with a sheet right now, and I've got Investigation, Bureaucracy, Resistance, Archery, and Martial Arts checked as my Favored Abilities (besides the Night abilities, obviously.) I've got Physical primary, Mental secondary, and Social tertiary (with Dex, Perception, and Manipulation the highest in each of those, respectively.)

That takes care of a bit more.

Really, the best thing you can do is make your character, write up a comprehensive background, and I can help you tweak it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    My friend said I was 'doing it wrong' and refused to run the game after he realized I'd wind up with an army of peasants (who would also be sending me supplies and Essence) as soon as we went into the first town.

Seems kind of odd, considering that aside from the essence bonus an army of peasants isn't even that powerful in Exalted. Seriously I can quite easily design a starting Solar melee-ist that could wipe out an army of extras without breaking a sweat. Or a Dragonblood with enough ranks in the Command background that unless the Solar had some good war charms his troops would simply make mincemeat of the peasants.

Just seems odd as I always considered it to be a basic assumption of the game (for Solars, Abyssals and Lunars anyway) that if they wanted to the PCs could be running their own kingdom by the end of the first session.

Paranoia833 on
  • Options
    Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Seems to me like your major out-of-combat skills will be Bureacracy, Investigation and Larceny. That skillset, in my mind anyway, lends itself to prodding societies in various directions on a mass scale rather than through social combat. If you decide to sink charms in them Larceny will make you a master of disguise able to assume the identity of anyone or no one. Investigation is used primarily in info-gathering and lie-detecting. Bureacracy tends to be wider in scope, affecting the running of institutions and organisations.

Now if you want to be mrerely competent out of combat all you really need is a few points in those skills, maybe a bit of socialise to enhance info-gathering or presence for interrogation. Otherwise given you seem to be going for 'hiding' as what you excel in I'd recommend investing in a few of the disguise based Larceny charms.

Paranoia833 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Seems to me like your major out-of-combat skills will be Bureacracy, Investigation and Larceny. That skillset, in my mind anyway, lends itself to prodding societies in various directions on a mass scale rather than through social combat. If you decide to sink charms in them Larceny will make you a master of disguise able to assume the identity of anyone or no one. Investigation is used primarily in info-gathering and lie-detecting. Bureacracy tends to be wider in scope, affecting the running of institutions and organisations.

Now if you want to be mrerely competent out of combat all you really need is a few points in those skills, maybe a bit of socialise to enhance info-gathering or presence for interrogation. Otherwise given you seem to be going for 'hiding' as what you excel in I'd recommend investing in a few of the disguise based Larceny charms.
    My Twilight Caste character has a couple of those disguise charms.

They're fucking hot.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Pfft.

Disguise charms.

By tomorrow, you won't even remember me.

Is it just me, or is taking certain martial arts a really easy way to circumvent the need for certain skills?

Like using a style's form weapon without putting a point in the ability said weapon usually depends on.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Flame Pieces and Righteous Devil Style.

Correction: Fire Lance and Righteous Devil Style. It's sad, but for a pure Firewand/Plasma Tongue Repeater build, the TERRESTRIAL style Golden Exaltation Style from that PDF supplement is actually better.

Of course, it doesn't have anything as badass as Azure Abacus Meditation 8-)

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think my GM just really wanted us to all make combat heavy guys. He didn't know what to do with a character that just wanted to manipulate people and have a huge entourage.

I don't think it helped that the other player that was ready made a character with zero attack skills at all, as much dodge as possible, and the most expensive daiclave-whatever he could buy. With no intention of using it. He took skills related to being a good second in command, and was looking for a warrior-king to give the sword to and build an army with him.

He wanted to just send us off to fight a bunch of undead, and we wanted to go into town and talk to people and concern ourselves with building armies and cults. He used to be really excited about Exalted, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

I hope someone here runs something so I can finally play. :D

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know how I missed it before but people were complaining about there not going to be an Alchemicals book. Though White Wolf claims they would never do another book, I promise you that a year or two from now they will make one after they run out of regular Exalted books to make. White Wolf said the same thing about Clan books and Changing Breeds when they made the NWoD and what do you know, they made them because they're out of ideas and they like money.

I'm praying I'm right because I needs me some robots from beyond creation.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Alchemical Exalted are already present in several of the chapter comics for the books and supplements. Excessively Righteous Blossom is in Scroll of the Monk, and the core book itself has a comic with autochthonian citizens (the one with the sappers).

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the scary yet great bit about Exalted 2e is that the metaplot is actually showing hints of moving forward. Hell, the Sidereal book all but confirms the "Empress is being held by the Ebon Dragon" theory that they've been vaguely hinting at since the 1e Dragonblooded book.

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Powerslave wrote: »
    The Alchemical Exalted are already present in several of the chapter comics for the books and supplements. Excessively Righteous Blossom is in Scroll of the Monk, and the core book itself has a comic with autochthonian citizens (the one with the sappers).

Holy shit, I never noticed that in the main book, that's amazing.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]