As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I had one game where I was the reverse. I had a sneaking suspicion they were going to hot drop us into the fray, so I set to solo. They DID hot drop, right into the thick of things with like 5 other teams.

Now, I've gotten better at this game over the last year, but I'm far from 'good', and my being there or not would have made zero difference in the fact that they were down and boxed before my solo butt even touched down on the other end of the map.

Dick move? Maybe. But on that day I was tired of starting at loading screens, and while creeping my way through the map wasn't pulse pounding action, it was ranked, and I'd eaten my share of -24's for that session.

Also, I won it.

(Skip to the 19:20 minute mark if you just want to see the finale unfold)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjh5hYnActI

Nearly got busted at 11:38, and around the 15min point I have a very close call with a medkit, followed by getting shot at and nearly arc-starred before getting away once more.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I had one game where I was the reverse. I had a sneaking suspicion they were going to hot drop us into the fray, so I set to solo. They DID hot drop, right into the thick of things with like 5 other teams.

Now, I've gotten better at this game over the last year, but I'm far from 'good', and my being there or not would have made zero difference in the fact that they were down and boxed before my solo butt even touched down on the other end of the map.

Dick move? Maybe. But on that day I was tired of starting at loading screens, and while creeping my way through the map wasn't pulse pounding action, it was ranked, and I'd eaten my share of -24's for that session.

Also, I won it.

(Skip to the 19:20 minute mark if you just want to see the finale unfold)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjh5hYnActI

Nearly got busted at 11:38, and around the 15min point I have a very close call with a medkit, followed by getting shot at and nearly arc-starred before getting away once more.

Yep, mastering the sneaky is so key to good placement. Unless you immediately click and start plowing teams, it's hard to run the "continuous fighting" strategy.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Managed to sneak in two wins today playing with my sister, both pretty low kills and damage, but I'll take it, I was mostly aiming to grind out LMG damage anyway.

https://youtu.be/pm36QC3ArXk

I like how you can see the exact moment it dawns on me that just cos there's only two people on my squad doesn't make it duos...

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Got a really great win in tonight. Dropped Capacitor and had the place to ourselves, so we got decently outfitted, then third partied in Labs for a couple early kills. Looped back through Capacitor and headed west since the ring was converging around Crash Site. Picked off another team, maxed upgrades, and pulled into Crash Site with just 5 squads left. I managed to down a Path scanning ring location with my Triple Take, and so we pushed that team and brought them down, then locked down Crash Site so we could ambush the last team.

Historically I've been a big fan of Mastiff (or EVA-8) / Hemlock as my weapons of choice, but I've gotta say that Volt / Triple Take has been growing on me a lot. It's very versatile, even if I'm not really good enough with the Volt to make it a good midrange weapon.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Got a really great win in tonight. Dropped Capacitor and had the place to ourselves, so we got decently outfitted, then third partied in Labs for a couple early kills. Looped back through Capacitor and headed west since the ring was converging around Crash Site. Picked off another team, maxed upgrades, and pulled into Crash Site with just 5 squads left. I managed to down a Path scanning ring location with my Triple Take, and so we pushed that team and brought them down, then locked down Crash Site so we could ambush the last team.

Historically I've been a big fan of Mastiff (or EVA-8) / Hemlock as my weapons of choice, but I've gotta say that Volt / Triple Take has been growing on me a lot. It's very versatile, even if I'm not really good enough with the Volt to make it a good midrange weapon.

Get a 2x on it.

2x ALL THE THINGS!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    30/30 and an SMG is a lot of fun, I don't know where people have landed on the repeater but I like it.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    My favorite part of the new update is that my first game every day so far I get put in solo! I have never taken off the fill checkbox, and yet here I am with no teammates yet again...

Edit: Game 2, we have a full team at selection, one DCs before we even drop. Game 3, solo again!

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Won two games last night, which is rare for me, but not unheard of.

What was particularly awesome about it was that both were short handed groups in trios.

The first had a Caustic ping that they wanted to drop right at the start. I usually wait for the last third of the map for reduced competition, but sure, fine, let's try it. We went for the crashed ship, which strangely had zero other folks at it... so the Caustic ran off on their own, went on a bit of a rampage, and was eventually downed/murdered.

The other member also separated off and got downed, but not finished for an oddly long period of time. Like, I was up around the crashed ship and the Caustic's rampage came to an end around Bunker, and I picked the other guy up south of Artillery.

As the other guy wasn't actually found and finished off, I made my way over and managed to pick them back up. That show of dedication earned me a blood brother, and this newfound relationship between Stim addict and friendly robot saw us approaching things a bit more carefully, heading over to Artillery where some choice zipline placement gave us the high ground. While semi-ratting, it wasn't without some action. I'd snagged a Kraber earlier in a care package, and managed to tag a few people in ways they certainly felt. In the end, it came down to the two of us versus a Lifeline, and while she put up a damned fine fight for 2v1, it felt extra good to secure that win.

A few games later, I dropped with a Horizon and a Wraith. The latter of which was exactly as sweaty as I'd expect a 3k kill Wraith to be. Could have only been more stereotypical if they had TTV in their name. Things started off a bit roughly, with us dropping at the Rig, and the Horizon accidentally hurling herself down the pit under the crane. I grabbed her banner (as Octane, this time) and respawned her in place.

We headed to Capacitor, where we picked a fight and while the Wraith made a fine showing of herself, and I did my best to light some folks up as well, but the Horizon was downed, the Wraith was downed (and then promptly disconnected), so I chose discretion as the better part of valor and fled as fast as my speed and jump pad could take me. What ensued was like 15 minutes of skulking around the map, with the Horizon strangely still watching. I'm more used to people who time out bailing, but they seemed fine with seeing just how far this went. Who knows, maybe they had a 'get top 3 with ______' challenge or something?

The final ring was near Caustic's Town Takeover, with 3 squads. I began creeping out of my hideyhole, and heard combat. Entering the space semi-quietly, I spotted a totem across the way, which meant a Revenant was around. My heart sank a bit at the idea of maybe needing to engage people more than once, so I kept quiet in the hopes that any death protection would fade.

While Revenant is fast and quiet while crouching, this one seemed content to clomp around the map, so I waited until he got close, walked into my room, and ate a gut full of spitfire lead. It was a fair fight, with him in gold armour and me in purple, no time for abilities or flicking around, we just opened up face to face and I happened to come out on top.

You're welcome, random Horizon. Thanks for keeping me (silent) company.

I'm rather enjoying the events. I was a fan of Phase 1, not quite as much for Phase 2. Phase 3's return to randomness appeals to me.

With only a week left before the split, I'm tempted to get back into the Ranked grind, but part of me also just kind of wants to tank my Gold 3 back down to Gold 4 and (hopefully) enjoy some Bronze/Silver more than I have been. Perhaps in the future I should stick to aiming for Plat in the second half of the season, because starting that climb from the start was... rough.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Conversely I just got a win with 0 kills, assists, and knocks, with a grand total of, like, 70 damage, I mean, a win's a win, but it still feels kinda bad. At least people got to use my shop I guess. We didn't even have a proper final fight to be fair, we got cornered in power relay and had to take the jump tower out past a bunch of ring flares, and by the time we'd landed safely everyone else had died to the ring.

That's my main complaint with this mode I guess, I like the idea of it, and I thought the first phase was quite good, with the single random ring, but the second phase with the predictable central ring either resulted in creating obvious choke points or blocking teams off from one another for entire rounds (which did reduce the number of 3rd parties I suppose, but it's less fun when there's only a few teams left and one of them's stuck behind a big ring!) and this third phase I think brings in too much random factor and it can be easy to get caught out without a lot of options. It's interesting, but not my favourite limited mode I've seen so far.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So sbmm is intense. Playing cross play with my buddy from our ps4 crew vs dropping solo into a match on Xbox on my new account is night and day. I’m lucky to keep up a 1 kill rate and we don’t win much

Solo is much better so far.

Also I love the heat shields. Some fun fights and smart use of them with awareness is huge. Gibby plus heat shield can get a team up back to full health safely in ending circles and that’s crazy

616610-1.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    It feels like there's some serious potential for cheese around the final ring if you have a Loba ult to loot heat shields from the many deathboxes and just hang out well away from everyone else until the ring kills everyone else.

• Options
    Yeah, or chilling around a replicator as seen in the video up the page. Should be an easy fix if it becomes a problem though, only let people carry one at a time, keep it out of the replicator pool, increase the damage it takes in the final circles, etc.

• Options
    Yeah, or chilling around a replicator as seen in the video up the page. Should be an easy fix if it becomes a problem though, only let people carry one at a time, keep it out of the replicator pool, increase the damage it takes in the final circles, etc.

I could swear they took it out of the replicator pool in Monday's mini patch.

Fake edit: yeah, just checked.

Apex Legends Update 1.61 Patch Notes

Fixed Heat Shield audio bug and a rare exploit
    Heat Shields removed from crafting pool
    Fixed some bugs with Loba’s tactical
    Fixed issues with several event skins missing textures
    Several Switch fixes
    Fixed the bugged sound on Bangalore’s heirloom

• Options
    It's currently out, yes, I assumed it would cycle back in every few weeks like the portable respawn beacon, but the patch notes do make it sound like a permanent removal.

• Options
    If it was just cycling, I don't think they'd bother mentioning it in the patch notes.

Given that it just takes a few ticks of the final ring to wipe a squad, I suspect it's to prevent a group from dropping quietly in the quietest part of the map they can find, stockpiling replicator materials, and then winning just by playing the ring as long as they can and then crafting their way through the damage for a win that's difficult (if not impossible) to do anything about.

It's fringe, but people on Reddit are already bragging/complaining about such tactics, and I don't think it's intended to even be possible. Of course, the next issue along those lines will probably be a Loba equipped squad doing essentially the same thing with a dense enough collection of death boxes to pull from, but I suspect that'll be a lesser issue once the heat shield is no longer a guaranteed part of our kit (at least, I assume it'll eventually be pulled from a guaranteed slot at the drop). Also because Loba's bracelet is still fuuuuucked, so until they manage to actually re-fix it ("fix it"), it involves playing a character with a positioning/escape option that randomly doesn't work.

• Options
  • Options
    Friendship ended with mastiff, now mozambique is my best friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLbPHrFdS3Q

I've gotta rack up shotgun damage for a challenge, and I rarely pick up shotguns normally, I'd rather have an R99 or something for close quarters, I should probably just run double shotguns for a few games so I can get used to how to use them properly, even though it's a bit of a meme I do find the hammerpoint mozam is the most fun to use.

• Options
    hammerpoint bique is pretty legit with any AR (if you're feeling spicy the double close with an SMG like the volt/r99) to break shields and then you whip out the 'bique and go for the down asap

• Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Came back to Apex in Season 8 and been having a great time! Are there any Clubs that PA folk run I could join? I'm not great but I'm getting better I think. [SMO] is just a club I made fooling around with stuff. my03fh97uczp.png

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The next legend and some gameplay may have leaked and I really hope it's real
    Potential spoilers here
    It's Blisk from Titanfall 2, and his ult calls in an auto-titan to defend an area

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Now that's royo caliente.
    Which I only know thanks to NorthernLion.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    7711qlho71hl.png

Mozambique + Purple Choke + Hammerpoint Rounds = 1.5k of that damage.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Came back to Apex in Season 8 and been having a great time! Are there any Clubs that PA folk run I could join? I'm not great but I'm getting better I think. [SMO] is just a club I made fooling around with stuff.
    my03fh97uczp.png

There is a PA club knocking around, I'm not in it because you can only be in a single club (I think...?).

I'm sure someone else can get you added in.

Campy on
  • Options
    Yeah I run it, it's called "Pax Arcadia" and people have had some trouble finding it depending on your region but if you request to join I'll approve you.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Peen wrote: »
    Yeah I run it, it's called "Pax Arcadia" and people have had some trouble finding it depending on your region but if you request to join I'll approve you.

Sweet! Thanks!

Edit: Found it and it let me join right up. Thanks!

eq8d2zhtl5zp.jpg

Whittledown on
    DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    gaBauiV.png

when you find a Turbocharger for the Havoc on drop and can actually pop off with it instead of having to deal with the awkward prefiring

• Options
    Hah, I had to get 400 damage with the Havoc yesterday, I was running round with a turbocharger in my pocket for half the game till I found one.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Potential spoilers here
    It's Blisk from Titanfall 2, and his ult calls in an auto-titan to defend an area

Eh, I consider that highly suspect, for the exact reasons I've seen mentioned on a few videos/comments along the same lines.

IT'S A SPOILER WHAT DO YOU THINK IS BEHIND THE TAG?
    They've explicitly said they didn't want to give a legend wall running, and the leaked Legend has it. That they tried putting in Titans and found that they couldn't make it work.

Having a big piece of terrain/cover land that also puts out fire (even if it's random/untargeted) would be quite the ability, especially for essentially becoming an extra member in later rings where (potentially unstoppably?) suppressing an area would be pretty damned incredible.

More so than the existing damaging ultimates? No idea, but I'm more prone to suspecting that it's a mislead/fake than real until we get something out of Respawn.

That said, to undercut my own skepticism, they've also said that Season 9 will contain some huge/amazing/incredible/etc stuff.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Potential spoilers here

Eh, I consider that highly suspect, for the exact reasons I've seen mentioned on a few videos/comments along the same lines.

IT'S A SPOILER WHAT DO YOU THINK IS BEHIND THE TAG?
    They've explicitly said they didn't want to give a legend wall running, and the leaked Legend has it. That they tried putting in Titans and found that they couldn't make it work.

Having a big piece of terrain/cover land that also puts out fire (even if it's random/untargeted) would be quite the ability, especially for essentially becoming an extra member in later rings where (potentially unstoppably?) suppressing an area would be pretty damned incredible.

More so than the existing damaging ultimates? No idea, but I'm more prone to suspecting that it's a mislead/fake than real until we get something out of Respawn.

That said, to undercut my own skepticism, they've also said that Season 9 will contain some huge/amazing/incredible/etc stuff.

I'm pretty sure I saw a tweet by a Respawn developer a little while back which said:
    The next character would be of particular interest to Japanese players, which maybe Blisk has a big Japanese fan base, I guess I don't know for sure, but it's not the first thing that springs to mind from that hint.

If they do add Blisk I feel like he's basically got to be the last legend right? Given his position in the narrative.

I've been playing a bit of ranked with the new split, almost made it to silver thus far, but I did just have a very frustrating game where our teammate hot-dropped solo, forcing us to chase them, they managed to survive the subsequent mess, grabbed our banners, and then just drove around the map in a trident for the next 20 minutes without so much as a glance at a respawn beacon. I can only assume this is some sort of pointless griefing...
    Fortunately the game right after that was a solid 8 kill win with Gibraltar, I always seem to have my best games when I'm not playing on my main character.

• Options
    My first time using the R-400 combo and uhh... it went well quocxzp1blgz.png

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Peen wrote: »

I came back for season 8, and am still pretty bad at Apex but the game's so fun.

Thanks for the club info, I joined Pax Arcadia if anyone wants to squad up with someone who can't figure out what's going on in tight quarters and ends up dying a lot ;)

nusu on
  • Options
    Have, have I finally become a gamer??? Mercy on my accursed soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9K-dC3m6pc

Shout outs to my downed Octane both blocking all my shots and then preventing me from reloading, classic.

I'm a couple of levels out from the end of the season pass, and new monster hunter just dropped so I'll probably be pulling the brakes on Apex for a bit. Not to mention my work from home stint is probably nearing its end as vaccines get circulated, and then I definitely won't have time!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    A couple of Respawn devs were on a podcast hosted by the diversity group Black Girl Gamer Code earlier today, and had some VERY interesting things to say.

Here's lead writer Ashley Reed talking some more about titanfall: https://clips.twitch.tv/OriginalScrumptiousAlfalfaDendiFace-7CLYELVwOxbNaw27
    “What’s going on in Titanfall is a war, Apex is what happens after the war, like what is life like in this place? So we’re trying to integrate Titanfall into that, because Titanfall’s very much a part of the universe.”

And here's game director Chad Greener directly confirming more Titanfall stuff coming in Season 9: https://clips.twitch.tv/KitschyCourageousPandaBatChest-WhAQPfZJHXy_HgY3
    “Next season, Season 9, you’re actually going to see a ton of Titanfall coming back into the game, in one way or another, I’ve told some people before, if you’re a Titanfall fan, hang on for Season 9 because there’s gonna be some really cool stuff there.”
    Looks like that legend leak,
    Blisk and his Titan,
    for Season 9 is looking a HELL OF A LOT more accurate.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Interesting stuff, I think they've said before that they were working on some big things for Season 9, even if the leaked character doesn't interest me that much I'm eager to see what else they've been cooking up.

Loba's bracelet is a pretty frustrating ability, but when it works it feels so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWWotVMLjr8

Now, granted this is silver lobbies, not something you'd want to try against better players, but still...

Also I was playing with my sister the other day and she got a pretty unfortunate bug where she jumped out of the Fight Night ring in hot pursuit but somehow managed to lose her arms in the process, even once I revived her she couldn't see her hands/weapons, couldn't pick up loot, open death boxes, climb, use ziplines, or really interact with anything. She had to jump off a cliff and get respawned to fix it. She says she might've been trying to swap weapon whilst exiting the boxing ring so, er, watch out for that I guess.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    A couple of Respawn devs were on a podcast hosted by the diversity group Black Girl Gamer Code earlier today, and had some VERY interesting things to say.

Here's lead writer Ashley Reed talking some more about titanfall:
    “What’s going on in Titanfall is a war, Apex is what happens after the war, like what is life like in this place? So we’re trying to integrate Titanfall into that, because Titanfall’s very much a part of the universe.”

And here's game director Chad Greener directly confirming more Titanfall stuff coming in Season 9: https://clips.twitch.tv/KitschyCourageousPandaBatChest-WhAQPfZJHXy_HgY3
    “Next season, Season 9, you’re actually going to see a ton of Titanfall coming back into the game, in one way or another, I’ve told some people before, if you’re a Titanfall fan, hang on for Season 9 because there’s gonna be some really cool stuff there.”
    Looks like that legend leak,
    Blisk and his Titan,
    for Season 9 is looking a HELL OF A LOT more accurate.
    I'm looking forward to more direct links to the Titanfall games.
    I haven't seen the leaks, but Blisk's in the original intro video and Rampart's (?) character video, so I've been expecting him to show up eventually.

I'm also hoping to see Ash at some point.

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Hmm, I wonder what the shipping options for Europe are like, I'd enjoy a wee desk nessie...

Also I finally got a win with Fuse yesterday, so now I have the little face badge for every character. And I'm 14 wins away from 100 on Loba, gonna try and grind that out before the end of the season maybe.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    New event next week, 5 modes, 1 absolutely spectacular Lifeline skin, looks like it's time to get over my midseason lull and jump back in for real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcjzFIPuk2M

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm most interested in that free respawn mode.

The Lifeline skin looks like a recolor of an existing skin.