As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

OrcaOrca Also known as EspressosaurusWrexRegistered User regular
Bad jobs bad jobs

whatcha gonna do when they come for you

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    My mom and I have finally come to an agreement regarding daylight saving time, to wit: the real problem is jobs stealing everybody's time.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I think we can all agree on that one

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I just don't get why California can tell the federal government to go fuck themselves when it comes to weed but for daylight savings we get all timid.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    People have feelings about weed year round.
    People have feelings about DST maybe twice a year.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Looks like the job thread is hitting overtime

That feel when you get your overtime cut.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

I feel very differently about overtime now that I'm salaried

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I don't think I have the kind of commitment to my overall corporation that would be necessary for me to change careers to something like QA.

I just don't care enough about the overall corporate structure to consider changing my career and likely giving up my life/work balance taht I've got.

but it's an interesting idea, and quite a compliment I think

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have an 8am meeting tomorrow. The day after DST starts, too.

Usually this nonsense is forced by our European offices but this occasion can be laid entirely at the feet of east coasters. Fuckers.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I've been looking into invoicing and pricing of some of our customers, and it's multiple different currencies and units of measure, per tonnage, per liters, per US gallon, it's fixed price, premiums and different types of fees and I swear it feels like an Abbott and Costello bit at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS2aEfbEi7s

euj90n71sojo.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    well, now i'm watching Who's on First on repeat....

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I feel very differently about overtime now that I'm salaried

My first salary gig was assistant manager for papa john's.

Shortly before I left there was a class action lawsuit basically alleging that because ASMs didn't do enough work that was meaningfully definable as management (scheduling, food orders, etc; actual business management stuff), they didn't meet the requirements to be exempt from overtime rules. PJ eventually settled when it was clear they couldn't get the suit thrown out.

Ya boi got paid is what I'm saying.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The thing I've heard about QA is that despite its importance, very few companies invest in it. So you would have a job where you'd be under-appreciated and under-paid.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oof, Monday and the clock change

Yuck

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It is not 8 AM, and it sucks that everyone is lying about it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow, DST hit me harder than usual today. Like not only did I have my insomnia as of late, but just.. complete non-motivation to get out of bed.

Oh, and it's raining. And the rain is freezing on the window as I watch it. Which is always a good sign. :(

AND we're onboarding a new employee that I think I know? Maybe? Not sure. We'll find out in 5 minutes.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The thing I've heard about QA is that despite its importance, very few companies invest in it. So you would have a job where you'd be under-appreciated and under-paid.

As someone who does QA professionally,

THIS

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    QA all tellin me I "can't put that in patients" because it "might kill them" or isn't "medically approved." Can't understand their jargon anyway.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "Move Fast and Break Things"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The day has finally come and I'm having to train somebody.

I hate training on the best days and this guy is... hoo boy. He has one speed and that speed is slow. It is negative speed. He is the Un-Fast. Meanwhile I'm not particularly hyperactive but I know exactly what needs to be done, how it needs to be done and the speed in which to do it. So having to slow down and explain everything 3 times over is killing me oh my God it makes me want to die.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of having to move my wake up alarm into the 3am hour because of this new deadline.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

As someone who does QA professionally,

THIS

Basically the only way to better pay in QA is to become product management of some kind.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    The day has finally come and I'm having to train somebody.

I hate training on the best days and this guy is... hoo boy. He has one speed and that speed is slow. It is negative speed. He is the Un-Fast. Meanwhile I'm not particularly hyperactive but I know exactly what needs to be done, how it needs to be done and the speed in which to do it. So having to slow down and explain everything 3 times over is killing me oh my God it makes me want to die.

I think the hardest part of training is how much stuff is "learn by experience" and not necessarily documented.

I worked in a mail room with an envelope stuffing machine that could stuff up to 6 different 8 1/2 x 11 sheets into one envelope. One of them was a certificate so it was essential that it didn't get bent or marred in anyway because no one wants stop hang that on their wall.

It was an old ass machine so it was finnicky. There were all sorts of little things I learned over time, like exactly where to lay the paper in the tray to be least likely to get eaten, or the optimum number to load at a time to be efficient but not risk having a too many certs mangled and have to be reprinted, etc.

As I was leaving the job they brought someone new on and I tried to train them during the brief bit of overlap, and GODDAMN was it impossible to explain all the little nuances to really get that machine humming.

QA all tellin me I "can't put that in patients" because it "might kill them" or isn't "medically approved." Can't understand their jargon anyway.

I think one of the things that we do right in the US in regards to healthcare is making nurses liable even when they're just following orders. The chance of losing your job and license gives people the courage to tell the doctors "nah I ain't doing that shit, and if you do it I'll be writing in the chart how you did after I refused for safety reasons."

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Apparently we're setting up an "open kimono session" with another research group to do NDA-approved information exchange

Not having heard that phrase before, it ... sure is evocative.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That sounds more like a complaint to HR after a very memorable video conference.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    First thing that came to mind:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2bvmjZqCKA

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Apparently we're setting up an "open kimono session" with another research group to do NDA-approved information exchange

Yeah, it sounds like the kind of thing that happens accidentally with a tilted webcam

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Anyone ever formed their own Corp?

Buddy and I are thinking about going into business together, we've got shares and initial investment planned out but I'm a little confused on taxes and filing for an LLC. We're going to file our 8832 to claim the LLC as a corp, but do we file quarterly even with no revenue right now? We're going to have our initial chunk working on paying for business costs and some market investment to generate revenue, how does that all work with quarterly filing? Is there a threshold?

Should I just buy turbotax/quicken?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

boy there's a lot to unpack with that particular piece of language

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Multiple feet of snow fell.

No work today! It's not even a remote day, it's a proper snow day!

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    3clips3 wrote: »

boy there's a lot to unpack with that particular piece of language

I'm not sure if I don't want to Google it because of the nsfw possibilities or because of the racist possibilities.

Speaking about shocking video conferences, I'm still reeling from a colleague sharing his screen and desktop from a recent one. 167! icons on there. And I know he has a second screen.

honovere on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

Schedule them in for a "Driving a rusty nail into the glans penis" meeting next week, as I believe is a common term in industry.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular

At the end of each Partnering Session, they usually give one person the open kimono award

I don't feel any additional context here would add value

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I just don't get why California can tell the federal government to go fuck themselves when it comes to weed but for daylight savings we get all timid.

I work for the state and we are definitely not allowed to have weed of any kind without losing our jobs permanently. California just said they won't prosecute for it, but federal can still come in and do their bullshit.

As much as I hate business people and executives, I'd hazard that the kimono thing is entirely "dudes open their kimono to show they're not hiding a dagger."

Perhaps I'm being too generous still.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited March 2021
    Round he we call it a "lift your shirt to show your waist band and do a little twirl" session

TheStig on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I don't know how credible Investopedia is as a source, but their article on the term seems to suggest that the etymology of the term was more in the sense of "being casual" than any specific sexual connotation. It appears to have been invented in the early eighties as American corporate lingo, however, so it's definitely not something that was adopted from actual use in Japan, so, yeah... definitely not something I'll be adding to my own lexicon.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This is what I imagine every time I hear about Americans trying to deal with the Japanese in the Eighties and Nineties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rIfJXDgps

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Today our historic cooks gave me some food, including fried beef tongue. It was pretty good, but it occurred to me as I was chewing that I was tasting tongue with my tongue, and then that I was effectively french kissing a steer.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    Kupi wrote: »
    I don't know how credible Investopedia is as a source, but their article on the term seems to suggest that the etymology of the term was more in the sense of "being casual" than any specific sexual connotation. It appears to have been invented in the early eighties as American corporate lingo, however, so it's definitely not something that was adopted from actual use in Japan, so, yeah... definitely not something I'll be adding to my own lexicon.

I hate everything corporate culture.