As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Both my wife and I feel really drained and just sort of tired today.

We are blaming it on the weather being super dreary and getting cold again after being in the 50s/60s for like a week. We are not jumping to conclusions about COVID.

We are, however, both feeling very done with work by noon today.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Anyone ever formed their own Corp?

Buddy and I are thinking about going into business together, we've got shares and initial investment planned out but I'm a little confused on taxes and filing for an LLC. We're going to file our 8832 to claim the LLC as a corp, but do we file quarterly even with no revenue right now? We're going to have our initial chunk working on paying for business costs and some market investment to generate revenue, how does that all work with quarterly filing? Is there a threshold?

Should I just buy turbotax/quicken?

If you aren't going to hire or employ an accountant then look into software like Quickbooks or the like. Anything that allows you to spend more time on what your business is than personally managing its finances is a good thing. For the questions you have it might be best anyways to work with an accountant or business advisor to get things set up.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Buddy and I are thinking about going into business together, we've got shares and initial investment planned out but I'm a little confused on taxes and filing for an LLC. We're going to file our 8832 to claim the LLC as a corp, but do we file quarterly even with no revenue right now? We're going to have our initial chunk working on paying for business costs and some market investment to generate revenue, how does that all work with quarterly filing? Is there a threshold?

If you aren't going to hire or employ an accountant then look into software like Quickbooks or the like. Anything that allows you to spend more time on what your business is than personally managing its finances is a good thing. For the questions you have it might be best anyways to work with an accountant or business advisor to get things set up.

Yeah we don't have a lot of startup capital so I'm trying to avoid that shit wherever possible. I'm already using Wave in place of Quickbooks, we might just bite the bullet and pay for Turbotax or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Today our historic cooks gave me some food, including fried beef tongue. It was pretty good, but it occurred to me as I was chewing that I was tasting tongue with my tongue, and then that I was effectively french kissing a steer.

The one piece of offal to nearly defeat me was a tongue sandwich in a new york deli (whichever one does the fuck off huge ones). I thought about it tasting me back and gagged, despite the sandwich being delicious. My entire hurdle with offal is always mental, with the exception of honeycomb tripe where it's texture based.

Lengua tacos though. Now I'd serve those to ANYBODY and lie about what it was (so long as they ate beef already) because anyone would like them.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I generally like offal, although I'm not a big fan of tripe (texture) or heart (no matter how well you season or cook it it always seems to have a metallic aftertaste).

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    year long pandemic exhaustion, meet exhaustion caused by shifting entire schedule by one hour

hope you become long friends over my desiccated corpse

zkHcp.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As a librarian, it is very satisfying adding a 95 volume manga series to a shopping cart when the cost doesn't come out of your own budget.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    As a librarian, it is very satisfying adding a 95 volume manga series to a shopping cart when the cost doesn't come out of your own budget.

Bleach?

Interview went well, I think, but my questions were better suited for people who worked at the library-- the people involved worked for the city, aside from one who previously worked at the library but has since moved on to a different county. It sounded like I'll know if I've made it to the next step later this week, so fingers crossed.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Speaking about shocking video conferences, I'm still reeling from a colleague sharing his screen and desktop from a recent one. 167! icons on there. And I know he has a second screen.

At my first IT support job, for a manufacturing company, I had someone in marketing ask me to help her find files that were disappearing. She would save the reports and then they'd just be gone. Couldn't see them anywhere.

So I go over to her desk and watch as she saves the report, then goes to her desktop where there were about 10 icons for actual programs, and the rest was completely filled with these text file reports. Completely. She had so many items saved to the desktop folder that it simply couldn't display them all.

That was the same job where I learned that in the versions of outlook they were on, when you clicked on an attachment to just open it instead saving it, it would save the file in a weird hidden folder in the temp files. If there was already a file with the same name, it save it as filename.ext.00, filename.ext.01, etc.

However, it couldn't deal with triple digits, so once you hit a hundred of these it would barf. Had a few people in accounting mostly who hit that a couple times a year. I think I eventually put a script on their desktop to clear that out.

steam_sig.png
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    wow the desktop clutter shamers have logged on

gonna see how easy it would be to redact file names and share my work desktop.

edit:
    t8kf1ni862u5.png
    277 items including a "trash" folder from last time I cleaned it up
    which according to windows was probably 4/19

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I don't know how credible Investopedia is as a source, but their article on the term seems to suggest that the etymology of the term was more in the sense of "being casual" than any specific sexual connotation. It appears to have been invented in the early eighties as American corporate lingo, however, so it's definitely not something that was adopted from actual use in Japan, so, yeah... definitely not something I'll be adding to my own lexicon.

I hate everything corporate culture.

I can see see it vividly in my head.
    "Hey Bateman, we're going to meet Paul Allen later for discussion, you know, open Kimono session."

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Bleach?

Interview went well, I think, but my questions were better suited for people who worked at the library-- the people involved worked for the city, aside from one who previously worked at the library but has since moved on to a different county. It sounded like I'll know if I've made it to the next step later this week, so fingers crossed.

Bleach is only 74 volumes. One Piece is currently at 95 with Volume 96 coming out in April.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Me: Wow I got 600+ manga on this order list for the new high schools! I am up to $6,500. I must almost be done!

Also Me: $20,000 more dollars in manga?!?!?!

Granted this is also for Graphic Novels and I haven't even started on adding those yet. I'm only on my first pass of Manga, getting the big series. $26,000 might seem like a lot but my current Manga/Graphic Novel collections are valued at $29,000, so I'll still have more than the new schools.

Kadith wrote: »
    wow the desktop clutter shamers have logged on

gonna see how easy it would be to redact file names and share my work desktop.

edit:
    t8kf1ni862u5.png
    277 items including a "trash" folder from last time I cleaned it up
    which according to windows was probably 4/19

My solution is simple, right click > view> "show desktop icons" BOOM

Desktop is now just another folder in explorer babyeeee-

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You ever accidentally type "called customer, no answer. Left BM" in the work notes on a ticket?

Me either
    at least, not without catching it before hitting save

steam_sig.png
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Apparently we're setting up an "open kimono session" with another research group to do NDA-approved information exchange

Not having heard that phrase before, it ... sure is evocative.

Work had an anonymous survey a couple months back that was supposed to assess how employees thought the business was doing in a couple different areas. It hadn't been open but 2 days before my boss's, boss's, boss (3 rungs up from me) sent out an all hands email "wanting to immediately apologize for repeatedly using the phrase open kimono in meetings".

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Working at my parents' house while they wait for some new appliance to get installed.
    My dad has some weird ass radio station on.
    Some old guy was doing a smooth jazz version of Little Red Corvette, but he had a real hard time enunciating things, so it sounded like someone who doesn't know English very well trying to ad-lib the words
    lee-uh edd or-ETTE
    akajksdnfl adsklnkdfslnka andf asfda gonna crash
    The next song was by Phish. No idea how the two were related.

And to be clear, I'm not making fun of anyone who doesn't natively speak English. I'm making fun of people who do, somehow become musicians, and then can't annunciate words clearly. See also "Blinded by the Lights" cover by Manfred Mann.

L Ron Howard on
    Hey did you guys know Teams is down? I do. Because I got like 20 emails from people asking about it. I also went to the official Microsoft 365 twitter, and Down Detector and found that they said like a half hour ago outages are rolling out.

Come on people.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hey did you guys know Teams is down? I do. Because I got like 20 emails from people asking about it. I also went to the official Microsoft 365 twitter, and Down Detector and found that they said like a half hour ago outages are rolling out.

Come on people.

I do most of my regular work on Teams. If I were working today, I'm sure I'd already know about it.
    So... I'm really glad I'm not!

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Work "Hey Nick you need to do something about all of these overdue tasks in the safety program."

Me "Oh you mean all the tasks that went overdue in the months before y'all asked me to take it over, when that was your job, and btw I still don't have access to the system anyways even though I tell you every day?"

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Good news, subordinate sick last week tested negative for corvid

This week starts with someone else doing something I would question with the words "what the unholy fuck were you thinking?"

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There's a test going on for the next version of our heavily customized inventory management software? Programming? I'm not connected enough to it to really understand

Anyways, I have tasks to complete

There's a big push to get everything rated "critical" or "daily use" tested by this Wednesday

Test environment was down all afternoon

Said fuck this and went home

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It's always good to know you don't work with a bird in a human disguise.

sig.gif
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Had some folks from Marketing and Communications come to the library today to shoot some video for an upcoming commercial about our new curbside app. Got the following sentences right in a row:

"So have you cut your hair at all through all this?"
    "It looks good, though."

That second part is probably true. Seems legit, and the part you'd immediately say second, unprompted.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Come on people.

To be fair, it can be hard to tell if Teams is working when it's not down.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

There should be a small business agency run by your state or county. They might be a good source if you haven't hit them up already.

PSN: jfrofl
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Welp, no eligibility list for me. The hunt continues.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    For anyone not still following the gamestop/WallstreetBets drama as previously discussed here: Gamestop is back on the rise and WSB continues to fuck over hedge funds short selling. Over the weekend someone decided to make a funny and adopt a gorilla (pay a gorilla conservation charity) because "apes strong together" and it kinda got a little crazy.

u2i9w5h8pa9i.png

iu5ll5z5o9au.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    For anyone not still following the gamestop/WallstreetBets drama as previously discussed here: Gamestop is back on the rise and WSB continues to fuck over hedge funds short selling. Over the weekend someone decided to make a funny and adopt a gorilla (pay a gorilla conservation charity) because "apes strong together" and it kinda got a little crazy.

u2i9w5h8pa9i.png

iu5ll5z5o9au.jpg

You know...I'm okay with this outcome.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The future is so confusing

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Remote day today after snow day yesterday.

I haven't set foot outside my apartment door since I got home Friday evening.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    edited March 2021
    I just gotta say... starting a business is one of the most annoying processes I've ever taken part in.

Newspaper declarations (this is a NYS thing), agent available during normal business hours and a business address. Imagine that you don't actual have a retail storefront and don't want your actual home address (or can't legally use it) as part of the paperwork. Did I go back in time like 50 years? jesus christ

Edit: Also me and my partner have to physically go to a bank and give them all our paperwork and sign shit, didn't realize this was 1820. I bet if I asked if we could do it remotely they'd give me a fax number.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    The thing with the GameStop stock going up again, at least...last week or a few weeks ago? Was because they had a strong quarter in their earnings call and then got a new executive, a CTO who launched Zulilly's online stuff and QVC as well.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Today our historic cooks gave me some food, including fried beef tongue. It was pretty good, but it occurred to me as I was chewing that I was tasting tongue with my tongue, and then that I was effectively french kissing a steer.

The one piece of offal to nearly defeat me was a tongue sandwich in a new york deli (whichever one does the fuck off huge ones). I thought about it tasting me back and gagged, despite the sandwich being delicious. My entire hurdle with offal is always mental, with the exception of honeycomb tripe where it's texture based.

Lengua tacos though. Now I'd serve those to ANYBODY and lie about what it was (so long as they ate beef already) because anyone would like them.

Huh, I didn't know tongue counted as offal. I figured it was just another cut of muscle and every form I've had it in was like, 'yeah, it's beef.' I find liver to be fine, thin sliced, but just the texture of a lot of the other organs slows me down. I had a friend with a great recipe for chinese cold beef stomach, which was delicious, but chewing the stomach was always a challenge because something in my brain kept trying to say, 'something is wrong.'

Huh, I didn't know tongue counted as offal. I figured it was just another cut of muscle and every form I've had it in was like, 'yeah, it's beef.' I find liver to be fine, thin sliced, but just the texture of a lot of the other organs slows me down. I had a friend with a great recipe for chinese cold beef stomach, which was delicious, but chewing the stomach was always a challenge because something in my brain kept trying to say, 'something is wrong.'

I'm similar with textures, and the definition of "offal" is going to be HIGHLY dependent on where you are. Nothing wrong with a good fresh kidney, just not a common preparation where I'm at. Lengua I feel certainly braises up like another cut, and is darn hard to tell once you chop it up, but a lot of people would never pick one up in the store because it looks squicky to them. Hell I super rarely even see it outside of a dedicated butcher or more specialized shop.

The thing with the GameStop stock going up again, at least...last week or a few weeks ago? Was because they had a strong quarter in their earnings call and then got a new executive, a CTO who launched Zulilly's online stuff and QVC as well.

Yeah they were severely undervalued.

The hedge funds were trying to collapse their business and cash out as much as they could. But GameStop the business was doing fairly okay even accounting for the pandemic. It wasn't amazing and they definitely should have downsized a bit more, but overall still good according to their SEC filings. I'd probably shut down half their locations. If a rural area like mine has like 6 game stops, that's got to cost a fortune in the overall scheme of things.

Their actual value is probably somewhere around $30-50 a share.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Not technically work-related, but I just got my first anti-covid jab. Contributing to herd immunity hoooooo~!

sig.gif
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I sense bullshit at work.

I can't explain it but I feel some bullshit a brewing somewhere in the front offices. I can feel it my giblets.

Every time I walk past I narrow my eyes like what are you sons a bitches planning?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

I can't explain it but I feel some bullshit a brewing somewhere in the front offices. I can feel it my giblets.

Every time I walk past I narrow my eyes like what are you sons a bitches planning?

To take a steaming hot dump on your day, clearly

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

To take a steaming hot dump on your day, clearly

poop on them first, that's my motto

get in there and drop trow