As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I am less interested in THAT Clone Wars for it being non canon

I should probably get around to watching it, though.

The animation is fantastic and like everything Tartosky does story telling is shown not told.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's canon in my heart and that's all that matters.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I think that Clone Wars has the best depiction of Anakin in all of star wars

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I have tried to watch that Clone Wars, but I just do not like the art. Like, at all.

I'll probably still watch it out of curiosity. But no way it beats the house that Filoni built in my eyes.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The Ewok movies are very decent for kid-friendly Star Wars

Other than the opening of the second one, obviously. Another victim of writers traumatizing children because they’re too lazy to come up with meaningful stakes.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Finally, we can watch the superior General Grievous fight scenes again

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Matev wrote: »

All I know about the movie version is that spinning is such a good trick that it's his only trick, up to and including a motorcycle that is just one big spinning wheel.

As opposed to the excellent Tartakovsky version, which defeats exhausted Jedi by making them shit their pants before taking them on four at once, but is smart enough to just run the fuck away the moment he loses the edge.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

All I know about the movie version is that spinning is such a good trick that it's his only trick, up to and including a motorcycle that is just one big spinning wheel.

As opposed to the excellent Tartakovsky version, which defeats exhausted Jedi by making them shit their pants before taking them on four at once, but is smart enough to just run the fuck away the moment he loses the edge.

And succinctly explains why he's a mess in the movie in a matter that feels satisfying.

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I have tried to watch that Clone Wars, but I just do not like the art. Like, at all.

I'll probably still watch it out of curiosity. But no way it beats the house that Filoni built in my eyes.

I felt the same way about Filoni's Clone Wars. Had tried to get into it a few years ago, but didn't like the art style and didn't give it a chance for the longest time. It took the pandemic and wanting to watch something with my daughter at lunch to give it another shot. Glad I did.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Unrelated to the current discussion cycle, a couple of things that come to mind when watching through Rebels again:
    1) The Imperial Sentry droids have a familiar look that makes Gideon's Dark Troopers appear to be upgraded models.
    2) I appreciate that the writers made efforts to have the audience question if Kallus' face turn was genuine or a ploy by Thrawn

Kallus was easily one of my favorite stories in Rebels.
    After the assault on the rebel base, the moment when he gets in the escape pod was momentus - the difference between the Empire and Rebels being that he trusted that they wouldn't leave him behind.

The ice planet episode was also easily a highlight of the series, and I was utterly surprised by just how much I enjoyed it.

Finishing season 3, Thrawn is Star Wars Xantatos and I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's a popular trope for good reasons.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Other than the opening of the second one, obviously. Another victim of writers traumatizing children because they’re too lazy to come up with meaningful stakes.

I was five when the Ewok movie came out. I watched it over and over as a kid. I'll end up watching it for the nostalgia, to see if it holds up at all. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I was five when the Ewok movie came out. I watched it over and over as a kid. I'll end up watching it for the nostalgia, to see if it holds up at all. :P

I am going off decades old memories, but who thought killing the little girl's entire family in the sequel's opening was kids faire? Also, it's the same problem I had with Alien 3, it makes the resolution of the previous movie pointless.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I can feel the 90s - early aughts resonating with the force.

• Options
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

I watched the second ewok movie literally dozens of times as a kid,
    Pretty sure the first ever A I got at school was in a class where I just drew the VHS cover for it from memory.

Whats not to like, ewoks get enslaved, theres a witch, a castle, ugly looking alien monsters, a crotchety old man (possibly the diabeetus guy?) an alien who can run like the flash. bad guys playing cards for fun, a tree house, pies, a prison break, zip lines.

I'm telling you that movie had it all.

GaryO on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Its definitely the dibeetus guy

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wilford Brimley, who was the same age in the Ewok movie (and Cocoon) as Tom Cruise was when he made Edge of Tomorrow.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wilford Brimley, who was the same age in the Ewok movie (and Cocoon) as Tom Cruise was when he made Edge of Tomorrow.

But how much dibeetus does Cruise have?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    None, it all Cleared up years ago.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Just finished one of the new High Republic books, The Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule. I liked it a lot.

The first hundred pages are a disaster movie with lightsabers, which I didn't know I wanted until I had it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Rise of Skywalker was a disaster of a movie with lightsabers and I'm not sure anyone wanted that.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Hol' up, are the Ewok movies watchable some place now?

Some would say Disney+ is a pathway to many movies some consider to be unnatural

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Well, you know, there's "watchable" and then there's "watchable".

• Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Just finished one of the new High Republic books, The Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule. I liked it a lot.

The first hundred pages are a disaster movie with lightsabers, which I didn't know I wanted until I had it.

The first act of the LoTJ is such a goddamn manifest mission statement. It is big and bold and swings wildly and succeeds for the most part. No enemies, no sith, no bounty hunters, just Jedi being big damn heroes and saving people. Just people trying to do good.
    "We are all the Republic."

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    The galaxy feels wild again, something I've sorely missed since the NJO/LOTF made every story an "epic battle that will change everything."

About the only thing I don't like so far is that it's still a binary conflict—one faction of good guys vs. one faction of bad guys. I'd like to see something a little more complexity or at least variety. The old EU had plenty of flaws, but I liked that the Hutts, or Black Sun, or some Dark Jedi was as likely to be the villain as the Imperials.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Some would say Disney+ is a pathway to many movies some consider to be unnatural

OK but not until April 2 or something

• Options
    Welp delete the internet this will not be surpassed

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Found this accidentally, didn't realise Jenny Nicolson did a tv show on Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP1EWYTD94o

Career prospects in the War of the Stars is dire.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/BsOmYpP4UDU

Appropriately May 4th.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I enjoyed the Bad Batch arc from Clone Wars, but wasn't super into it....but this trailer looks awesome. I'm quite happy for more of the Filoniverse. I hope Ming Na's character is in it pretty regularly.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I hope the laser bow is upgraded to a real blaster fairly quickly.
    It isn't going to make me not watch the show, but it's going to bother me in a tiny way that I can't really admit because I know how stupid it is to be bothered by something like that.

• Options
    Is the laser bow better or worse than Ezra's laser Slingshot that he started the show with? :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Clone Rambo gets on my nerves. He kills droids with a knife. I mean, c'mon that's dumb even for a show with laser sling shots, laser bows, and light saber helicopters. His super special mutation is tracking or something and knife-killing droids isn't even helped by that. Why can't he just be the Bad Batch's version of Rex? Special tracking powers, really good leader and strategist, shoots a blaster! :|

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Clone Rambo gets on my nerves. He kills droids with a knife. I mean, c'mon that's dumb even for a show with laser sling shots, laser bows, and light saber helicopters. His super special mutation is tracking or something and knife-killing droids isn't even helped by that. Why can't he just be the Bad Batch's version of Rex? Special tracking powers, really good leader and strategist, shoots a blaster! :|

Did you catch the knife gun in the trailer?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    This looks remarkably close to a Republic Commando series.

This is not a criticism.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    This looks remarkably close to a Republic Commando series.

This is not a criticism.

Yeah, the Bad Batch remind me of the Nulls. I really am loving how they are treating the Old EU. They mine it for anything interesting and ditch anything dull.

• Options
    Is the laser bow better or worse than Ezra's laser Slingshot that he started the show with? :P
    I'm going to say it's better than the slingshot.
    But, Ezra ditched the slingshot pretty quickly in favor of his blaster-saber and then the classic light saber.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Xantomas wrote: »

Did you catch the knife gun in the trailer?

I did not. Is it a gun that shoots knives? Because that would be a little bit better.

This discussion has been closed.