As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The offal conversation is making me really crave liver, haven't had any in ages. I don't think my family would be down for it though.

Ugh I miss pub meals.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I had a buddy go on deployment and gift me a freezer filled with meat from a cow his family butchered. Only problem was none of the bags were marked so it was an offal version of russian roulette every time I pulled a bag out to make something with.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The offal conversation is making me really crave liver, haven't had any in ages. I don't think my family would be down for it though.

Ugh I miss pub meals.

One of my go-tos for quick liver preparation (and even my mom will eat this - when she was a kid, grandma would do the liver & onions that was just a huge ol slab of liver and with what I said before about textures, I could see eating big chunks of liver as really gross) is get it thin sliced, soak in buttermilk for a couple hours to pull the blood out, and then using either seasoned flour or cornmeal give it a quick coating and pan fry it.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    We usually prepare it similarly but with regular milk and then sweet pepper powder.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Good news everyone! First covid shot is scheduled for Friday afternoon

oh h*ck
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    scheduled a maintenance window last night at midnight which has been killing me for the past 6 hours.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Ugh I miss pub meals.

One of my go-tos for quick liver preparation (and even my mom will eat this - when she was a kid, grandma would do the liver & onions that was just a huge ol slab of liver and with what I said before about textures, I could see eating big chunks of liver as really gross) is get it thin sliced, soak in buttermilk for a couple hours to pull the blood out, and then using either seasoned flour or cornmeal give it a quick coating and pan fry it.

That does sound nice. I like the texture though, give me a big ol' slab of liver with onion gravy and mash, mmm. I also really like deviled liver on toast, mmmm.

Fuck, guess I'm gonna have to buy some liver this week.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    While waiting for people to respond to me at work, I just noticed something about SE++...

ed5we4da2294.png

I'm too afraid to make a new thread about this...

Not for any superstitious reason, I just don't want to take us to 667.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Called up a subscriber today at like, half four and was like, hey I hear you've been having problems with the alerts you have set up for staff on the site

Yeah well I set them up to only provide alerts when we get a publication within these parts of the trust, but they are getting them whenever a story is published anywhere in the trust!

Okay let me look at these... okay so the alerts are basically searches by any other name, so you create a search and then you turn that into a saved alert... (it is at this point that I realise that the person has in fact searched for the entire trust, and then named the alert the specific service within it... which of course doesn't actually refine the search at all, cos to do that you need to click on the "refine" button...)

Yeah so I think I can see what the issue is, what you need to do is... (it is at this point that the nice, tired, older person in the trust who has been gamely dealing with this while also trying to help manage patient experience during the rona pandemic looks at me with a look of "okay I am going to try to learn this, and I will stay late after work to do it, but I might struggle") ...actually you know what, I'll just do it myself. It's no trouble at all. I'll do them all, and send you screenshots once they are done with an explanation, and you can have a look at them as examples and you give me a call if you still don't understand, we can go through it then, you get yourself off

Sometimes you just got to do it for em I guess

Solar on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

Someone I work with posted something on LinkedIn and all my colleagues commented on it. They all used the word "resonated"

Fucking corporate wankery.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ive been exposed to a lot of jargons; hardware and software engineering, logistics, supply chain, accounting, IT and yes business too. They all have a few eye roll terms but business jargon seems to be the most eye rollingly asinine. Followed at a distance by software development, which seems to have the most bleed through from business. I blame tech startup culture for that.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Someone new started in admin here that routinely uses the word "ideate" and it makes my skeleton want to escape from my body.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Our last website redesign hid all our resources behind one of four tabs: Find, Discover, Attend, and Explore.

The only thing worse than impenetrable jargon is trying to simplify language so much that it becomes meaningless as a category.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

Someone I work with posted something on LinkedIn and all my colleagues commented on it. They all used the word "resonated"

This is going to resonate with a lot of folks in the Job Thread. I think it will gain some serious traction. You should circle back later and see if anyone has conceptualized any actionable responses that you might be able to leverage.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

This is going to resonate with a lot of folks in the Job Thread. I think it will gain some serious traction. You should circle back later and see if anyone has conceptualized any actionable responses that you might be able to leverage.

there is no circle of hell deep enough

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

While I appreciate meaningless buzzwords are problematic, I am fine with jargon because it means something specific. I could parse this sentence! The issue is when jargon is misused or used to sound competent instead of used to convey actual ideas.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

I think we're going to scrum to handle this. Better make it open kimono.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

Yeah, we really need to ideate what we can do to move the needle. I mean, really get out of the box and disrupt things, then blitzscale our findings throughout the company to maximize the value.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    You're all bad people.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    You're all bad people.

It's about time someone recognized this.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

While I appreciate meaningless buzzwords are problematic, I am fine with jargon because it means something specific. I could parse this sentence! The issue is when jargon is misused or used to sound competent instead of used to convey actual ideas.

"I think we need to shift to a zero-trust architecture"

What's that mean? Depends on how much you're paying your consultant.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I genuinely hate LinkedIn and only maintain it for the sake of having an online resume, really

Even my friends who make posts on it have a real saccharine, exhausting tone to their posts because it's the only thing that gets clicks

I'm opening it mostly to see if I get any views in relation to that upcoming interview, and also because one of my contacts from my last job has some genuinely neat work to do with the Kinect and projected/interactive art, but I'll happily stop opening the thing next week

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Any LinkedIn post other than "I'm starting a new job!" is going to invariably be completely insufferable

And also imo pointless. What does having a highly visible LinkedIn presence get anyone?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2021
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Any LinkedIn post other than "I'm starting a new job!" is going to invariably be completely insufferable

And also imo pointless. What does having a highly visible LinkedIn presence get anyone?

I imagine it gains you name/brand recognition amongst the sort of person who spends a lot of time on LinkedIn.
    Personally I try to avoid those people as much as possible but it does exist as a community, I believe largely made up of MBA grads and wannabe entrepreneurs. I assume they're hiring each other all over the place.

(If anyone applying to jobs with me happens to be reading this, note that I never look at your LinkedIn profile unless you didn't include a git repository or personal website on your resume and I'm hunting for some evidence of your coding skills. I'm certainly not going to be reading any of your dang posts).

tynic on
  • Options
    I know some HVAC folks who have been headhunted successfully through LinkedIn

I have also had a lot of HVAC headhunters message me despite being in a completely different engineering field, mind

Steam
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I get the occasional recruiter ping through LinkedIn, sometimes they're even nearly relevant! So I try to update my profile once per job change, at least.
    but as a networking tool it appeals to precisely the kind of people who loooove networking tools, so it's awful.

• Options
    The only value I have had in it is mostly to track where some of my uni peers have gone, and very rarely be able to use it to ask about company culture at a place for myself/a friend who is applying

I've now had it so long that it takes a few minutes to remember who the hell some of the professional connections are, though

Steam
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I fought for weeks to get the upgrade I signed for to be the latest greatest beta supported version so we wouldn't have to worry about another major upgrade for a while.

During the process they reversed it back to the soon to be out of date version that they said wasn't even supported on the installed version of windows server.

This was only caught today due to everything else going on. The upgrade was last month.

It has broken me.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I know some HVAC folks who have been headhunted successfully through LinkedIn

I have also had a lot of HVAC headhunters message me despite being in a completely different engineering field, mind
    Maybe it's just HVAC because I used to get a ton of those as well, despite just being Electrical Eng.
    schuss wrote: »
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

Yeah, we really need to ideate what we can do to move the needle. I mean, really get out of the box and disrupt things, then blitzscale our findings throughout the company to maximize the value.
    Tracking

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I imagine it gains you name/brand recognition amongst the sort of person who spends a lot of time on LinkedIn.
    Personally I try to avoid those people as much as possible but it does exist as a community, I believe largely made up of MBA grads and wannabe entrepreneurs. I assume they're hiring each other all over the place.

(If anyone applying to jobs with me happens to be reading this, note that I never look at your LinkedIn profile unless you didn't include a git repository or personal website on your resume and I'm hunting for some evidence of your coding skills. I'm certainly not going to be reading any of your dang posts).

What kinds of things do people have in personal Git repos? I don't code outside of work, so everything I've ever written belongs to someone else.

I guess I have a Python script to animate some LEDs. Whee.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I look at LinkedIn when people apply as it gives a consistent format for their work and education history over CVs which are more freestyle.

It's also useful for getting hold of old colleagues that you don't have personal contact details for

I got flown out to Madrid for a fancy dinner following a recruiter sending me a message on it too. I'd like more of that when flying becomes possible again.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Interview yesterday went well even though I just presented my portfolio again. They almost immediately asked for my references afterwards, which presumably means an offer is incoming. I'm not as excited about the company as I am about some of my other options. It's really small and the pay would likely be less than ideal for california.

Have another 30 minute phone call with Relativity today. Not really sure what happens after it. Will they want a massive presentation also and a series of 1 on 1 interviews like Blue does? It's fine by me if they do because the presentation was finished this morning. I must say getting less than 3 hours of sleep a night allows for great productivity. I just hope I'm not frying my brain. I feel ok though. I'm lucid and not hypo or anything like that just can barely sleep since my surgery.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    when I when to the VA since I really forgot how to write a resume one of the comments he made was I going to post it on Linkedin
    I said no as no one would take it seriously I felt

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    LinkedIn is a good career resource and you should have a solid profile up that mirrors your resume. I host my portfolio on mine and list out all of my certifications and Professional Engineer license.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

ah yes but you see the github link in my LinkedIn profile is to a re-implementation of the LinkedIn website in Java containing my profile...

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    I fucking hate LinkedIn

"I think we need to shift to a zero-trust architecture"

What's that mean? Depends on how much you're paying your consultant.

Eh, zero trust is reasonably well defined as a philosophy as it mostly just eliminates automatically trusting intranet resources. Most of these jargon terms have real meaning in domain, it's just tech is so vast and deep now that no one can reasonably keep up.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy cow.

I've never had a customer rep / account executive with as much energy as our Splunk lady is. Just... WOW. And apparently this is her before coffee!

Don't get me wrong, this is awesome and is a good reflection on the company, but... her emails just come blasting off the page at ya. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    when I when to the VA since I really forgot how to write a resume one of the comments he made was I going to post it on Linkedin
    I said no as no one would take it seriously I felt

Most of my working life has been retail, and as a result the only LinkedIn messages I get are from cell phone stores.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter