As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I've been at the same job for 10 years and don't have any certifications or anything worthwhile to put on a LinkedIn profile

My career is far removed from my education

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Linkedin is whatever, the real drama posts are in my alumni's facebook group and those are popcorn-eating worthy

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Linkedin is evidence that the worst thing to happen to modern society is the MBA.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, linkedin is for salespeople posting fluff.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I use Linkedin for my extended resume. I don't plan on ever changing jobs ever again. But when I was looking, I usually left one or two of my older jobs off the application, depending on what experience I wanted to emphasize. It's also nice to see dates for certain thing (like when I moved- I know which job I had where). Also, stalking* people from my old job to see who left, and where they went. (*People I was friendly with, and wanted better things for, but didn't really keep in touch with)

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Mass email sent by person A

Person A sends email to person B that oversees person A that they sent the email out (not via mass email)

Person B, replying with a CC to the mass email group "so that went to everyone?"

I think some people just really want to watch the world burn

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I have another interview at a second place today. I'm basically taking this interview as practice because it doesn't pay well enough for the long commute but whatever.

I'm taking all opportunities at this point.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Mass email sent by person A

Person A sends email to person B that oversees person A that they sent the email out (not via mass email)

Person B, replying with a CC to the mass email group "so that went to everyone?"

I think some people just really want to watch the world burn

v2rqidnqzg8e.jpg

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i got something to get off my chest

i'm a secretary in a very large corporation. there's a lot of secretaries and all but 3 of us are women. I repeatedly get emails saying "Ladies I need help with" and am in meetings where the host starts by saying "Okay, ladies we need" and it kind of bugs me but should it? I mean I keep going back to oh does the white male not like the tiny bit of sexism he's finally exposed to ya whiney shit head and then i feel like a shmoe.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'd say that's totally valid. Hell, as a man, I was even doing things like that back ten years ago now. I particularly remember the revelation that I was always referring to all the under 40 women in my workplace as "girls." I might say something like, "hey did you meet that girl they hired in the financial office?" I was being incredibly demeaning without even thinking about what I said.

Luckily I became more aware of it and made a conscious effort to stop, but I'm not the least bit surprised there are a lot of men who never had that revelation.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

i'm a secretary in a very large corporation. there's a lot of secretaries and all but 3 of us are women. I repeatedly get emails saying "Ladies I need help with" and am in meetings where the host starts by saying "Okay, ladies we need" and it kind of bugs me but should it? I mean I keep going back to oh does the white male not like the tiny bit of sexism he's finally exposed to ya whiney shit head and then i feel like a shmoe.

I (CIS white male) wouldn't worry about it:it isn't done on purpose and it doesn't hurt your career prospects. It'd be different if they were calling you a 'lady' to your face or bully you for having a "girls job" or whatever. To me it is just a benign assumption about the kind of job you have.

• Options
    My school has been making a concerted effort to stop saying "guys" when addressing a group of people.

Folks gets used almost exclusively. Everything else is either too formal or too dismissive. "People" is kinda weird because it can carry connotations so "folks" it is.

Steam
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I like to use "Assholes" - it's not gender-specific.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

I would definitely find it annoying and definitely sympathize with the last bit as that's also where I am. But the kind of gendered/sexist assumptions about secretaries that cause you to get lumped in with the "ladies" also tend to lead to other stuff that they have to deal with all the time, so it might be something that bothers the rest of the team too.

Also being in the habit of addressing a large group of people by a single gendered term might be annoying for cis people, but would probably be significantly worse for trans people who have to deal with that and worse in other contexts as well, so they should switch to a neutral term like people, team, etc.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Y'all

• Options

It's definitely better than "fuckers" because some people are asexual.

Steam
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Y'all

It's really a champion of a word.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Aldo wrote: »

I (CIS white male) wouldn't worry about it:it isn't done on purpose and it doesn't hurt your career prospects. It'd be different if they were calling you a 'lady' to your face or bully you for having a "girls job" or whatever. To me it is just a benign assumption about the kind of job you have.

this is what i keep landing on; it's just thoughtless ignorance, not outright antagonism.

still sticks in my craw tho mainly because for cri-yi people should just know better

• Options
    It's still a micro aggression. Micro aggressions are often subconscious so that only partially excuses it. Admittedly I live in liberal Massachusetts so I had conversations with women friends who gently educated me on how demeaning I was being.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ya’ll and Folks are my two imformal adresses. If im addressing formally its either *company* or *department* team, like “accounting team, i need help...”

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Ya’ll and Folks are my two imformal adresses. If im addressing formally its either *company* or *department* team, like “accounting team, i need help...”

i do this too and also "yo nerds"

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    expendable wrote: »

Would fucks be alright? As in, "listen here you fucks!"?

Also shits.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I personally wouldn't stand for it because it is reinforcing the idea that the secretarial arts is women's work. I don't see a team of sales people where all but one presents female ever being called "ladies" collectively.

If you have an HR department just shoot them an email saying "my whole group gets called "ladies" and it bums me out"

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

Technically not accurate if you have anyone born from IVF in the crowd.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I bought some folders and organized my part of the desk. It's still a cluttered living room, but eh, it's better. sdxnkamsqfp5.jpg

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

"Hey Chucklefucks, I need last month's numbers"

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't stand for it because it is reinforcing the idea that the secretarial arts is women's work. I don't see a team of sales people where all but one presents female ever being called "ladies" collectively.

If you have an HR department just shoot them an email saying "my whole group gets called "ladies" and it bums me out"

Nah, it's a drop in the bucket compared to what women deal with every day and have been doing for centuries plus it would make me VERY unpopular very quickly.

I just need to MAN UP obviously. :D

• Options

Careful now, if Magic Pink works for Google she might be advised to take a week off for "mental health."

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

Careful now, if Magic Pink works for Google she might be advised to take a week off for "mental health."

*eye twitch*

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

You should discreetly ask some of the women secretaries what they think. It's absolutely implying "this is women's work", imo.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    MrMonroe wrote: »

You should discreetly ask some of the women secretaries what they think. It's absolutely implying "this is women's work", imo.

It's the other women secretaries that are doing it. Sorry, that wasn't clear.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Oh well then they should absolutely be using a more formal term like "bitches".

• Options

omg

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Today is one of those days. I had a meeting at 9:30, a meeting at 10, and now a meeting in 15 minutes, which rolls into lunch, then after lunch, 2 more meetings!

I'd like to get some actual work done.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Hidden camera footage of the morning meetings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L-4ZrOk1Tc
    (not necessarily safe for work)

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

ahh

well then I think it's internalized sexism but also not necessarily your place to get all huffy about

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Called up a subscriber today at like, half four and was like, hey I hear you've been having problems with the alerts you have set up for staff on the site

Yeah well I set them up to only provide alerts when we get a publication within these parts of the trust, but they are getting them whenever a story is published anywhere in the trust!

Okay let me look at these... okay so the alerts are basically searches by any other name, so you create a search and then you turn that into a saved alert... (it is at this point that I realise that the person has in fact searched for the entire trust, and then named the alert the specific service within it... which of course doesn't actually refine the search at all, cos to do that you need to click on the "refine" button...)

Yeah so I think I can see what the issue is, what you need to do is... (it is at this point that the nice, tired, older person in the trust who has been gamely dealing with this while also trying to help manage patient experience during the rona pandemic looks at me with a look of "okay I am going to try to learn this, and I will stay late after work to do it, but I might struggle") ...actually you know what, I'll just do it myself. It's no trouble at all. I'll do them all, and send you screenshots once they are done with an explanation, and you can have a look at them as examples and you give me a call if you still don't understand, we can go through it then, you get yourself off

Sometimes you just got to do it for em I guess

Sometimes it's just easier and better for everyone involved to just have the expert do it yeah.

Unrelated but I've never heard half four before, is that a shortened form of half past four? That seems most likely but I suppose it could also be halfway to four, which could be 3:30 or 2:00 I suppose.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Half four is a pretty common phrasing in British English I think? Possibly in all of them but American as far as I know.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I'm very glad that I have a OneNote with all the details from my weekly one-on-one's with my boss, because now I get to take this email where she rather pointedly asked me why I was doing what I was doing, and suplex her into the table with the fact that she told me to do it five weeks ago.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

i do this too and also "yo nerds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxbZ44lXNeE

GDdCWMm.jpg