As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I guess it's time for me to rewatch that show.
    Thanks @Jedoc

PSN: jfrofl
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Called up a subscriber today at like, half four and was like, hey I hear you've been having problems with the alerts you have set up for staff on the site

Yeah well I set them up to only provide alerts when we get a publication within these parts of the trust, but they are getting them whenever a story is published anywhere in the trust!

Okay let me look at these... okay so the alerts are basically searches by any other name, so you create a search and then you turn that into a saved alert... (it is at this point that I realise that the person has in fact searched for the entire trust, and then named the alert the specific service within it... which of course doesn't actually refine the search at all, cos to do that you need to click on the "refine" button...)

Yeah so I think I can see what the issue is, what you need to do is... (it is at this point that the nice, tired, older person in the trust who has been gamely dealing with this while also trying to help manage patient experience during the rona pandemic looks at me with a look of "okay I am going to try to learn this, and I will stay late after work to do it, but I might struggle") ...actually you know what, I'll just do it myself. It's no trouble at all. I'll do them all, and send you screenshots once they are done with an explanation, and you can have a look at them as examples and you give me a call if you still don't understand, we can go through it then, you get yourself off

Sometimes you just got to do it for em I guess

Sometimes it's just easier and better for everyone involved to just have the expert do it yeah.

Unrelated but I've never heard half four before, is that a shortened form of half past four? That seems most likely but I suppose it could also be halfway to four, which could be 3:30 or 2:00 I suppose.

Half four, in english, means half past four, yes

However halb vier, in German, means half past three. Did that bite me on the butt frequently when I lived in germany? Well maybe.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The HR department at my job serendipitously moved to electronic timesheets the week of the pandemic shut-down. It had been in the works for a few months, and was implemented just in time. Previously, your supervisor had to physically sign printed excel sheets with the times on them. Then you had to scan and email them.
    I guess they haven't really been looking at the timesheets, though. I've been doing them on time ,(every 2 weeks), and my supervisor had been electronically approving them. But I have just received dozens of emails saying HR has started approving them, starting from last year's.
    I hope none of these emails require follow- up of any sort, because they are not going to be read.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Called up a subscriber today at like, half four and was like, hey I hear you've been having problems with the alerts you have set up for staff on the site

Yeah well I set them up to only provide alerts when we get a publication within these parts of the trust, but they are getting them whenever a story is published anywhere in the trust!

Okay let me look at these... okay so the alerts are basically searches by any other name, so you create a search and then you turn that into a saved alert... (it is at this point that I realise that the person has in fact searched for the entire trust, and then named the alert the specific service within it... which of course doesn't actually refine the search at all, cos to do that you need to click on the "refine" button...)

Yeah so I think I can see what the issue is, what you need to do is... (it is at this point that the nice, tired, older person in the trust who has been gamely dealing with this while also trying to help manage patient experience during the rona pandemic looks at me with a look of "okay I am going to try to learn this, and I will stay late after work to do it, but I might struggle") ...actually you know what, I'll just do it myself. It's no trouble at all. I'll do them all, and send you screenshots once they are done with an explanation, and you can have a look at them as examples and you give me a call if you still don't understand, we can go through it then, you get yourself off

Sometimes it's just easier and better for everyone involved to just have the expert do it yeah.

Unrelated but I've never heard half four before, is that a shortened form of half past four? That seems most likely but I suppose it could also be halfway to four, which could be 3:30 or 2:00 I suppose.

However halb vier, in German, means half past three. Did that bite me on the butt frequently when I lived in germany? Well maybe.

I think that's how most Europeans use it? I seem to recall having an argument with @Flarne about it.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

half four is 16.30

It's the usual way of saying it I feel?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Half four is 2, actually.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

half four is 16.30

It's the usual way of saying it I feel?

I imagine its regional. In the western US ive only ever heard it said as four thirty. Only shortening is “X” till. Like its 15 till 5. A few friends from the Midwest will do “half past” to indicate stuff.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    30 till 5.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Quarter past and quarter to are definitely things, but I've only ever heard half past (never half to) an hour as an abbreviation

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Half four is 2, actually.

Maths? locker time, nerd

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular

I think that's how most Europeans use it? I seem to recall having an argument with Flarne about it.

Yeah in Swedish half four is always halfway between three and four.
    I learned the difference early in my career when I wondered why my Scottish boss was always an hour late.

The ways of [my culture] are the best, and [other ways] are obviously foolish and wrong, as always

• TheWizardOfJozTheWizardOfJoz Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Half four is five minutes before five and twenty to five.

TheWizardOfJoz on
    Thank you for the days.
    I won't forget a single day believe me.
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Very inefficient, these colloquialisms.

Simply say the numbers.

It is three three zero.

The relevance of it being half four was that I start at nine and finish at five, and therefore this was very close to the end of my day

But in all honesty what else was I gonna do with my evening? cry? stare into the void? I already do that all the time

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Simply say the numbers.

It is three three zero.

That still leaves a lot of room for ambiguity.

That's why I always say it's zero seven colon three zero colon zero five UTC

steam_sig.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Simply say the numbers.

It is three three zero.

That still leaves a lot of room for ambiguity.

That's why I always say it's zero seven colon three zero colon zero five UTC

Just paste the unix epoch timestamp problem solved

as long as you don't care about time before 1970

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Vendor has been hounding my email to write a review on the ethanol the lab bought (very much not for drinking) and this is such a strange request, and they are so insistent I just wrote "it was delicious". I guess this may let me know if anyone actually reads these.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    What's the old timey alchemy name for ethanol?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    The best part is the Danes do the same thing but with regular numbers and base 20

So "tres" (3x20) is 60 "firs" is 80 and halvfjerds is halfway to 80, so 70.

Aqua Vitae or "spirit of wine"

10 past 420blazeit

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vendor has been hounding my email to write a review on the ethanol the lab bought (very much not for drinking) and this is such a strange request, and they are so insistent I just wrote "it was delicious". I guess this may let me know if anyone actually reads these.

I purchased this chemical for money. It arrived in an appropriate container and was suitable for our uses in lab.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Flarne wrote: »

I think that's how most Europeans use it? I seem to recall having an argument with Flarne about it.

Yeah in Swedish half four is always halfway between three and four.
    I learned the difference early in my career when I wondered why my Scottish boss was always an hour late.

We also use five to half and five past half, just to complete the circle with simple terms for every 5-minute increment of the hour

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

That's the one! Fricken early chemists were definitely drinking that shit.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

102611_copenhagen-dill_anise_aquavit_500.jpg
    The missing ae is important when you're looking for a drink

honovere on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I caught myself getting ready to throw a tantrum or fire an email about too much work for one person again

Took a walk, calmed down a bit, sent a more courteous email, actually got some help

Stunned

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Thank you for the various time explanations. I now know that whenever anyone using a colloquialism for what time it is I definitely won't know what they mean unless they're from the same regional area as me.

Almost as bad as when I moved to the south and people started talking about buggies and I thought they meant prams but actually they were talking about shopping carts.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I always forget that half four isn't universally understood. I thought it was only Germany that rolled backwards with it though. I'm now amazed this hasn't caused me to miss a work meeting at some point.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

dill and anise?

uber barf

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Not to be confused with Aqua Regia, which is a mix of nitric and hydrochloric acid.

Delicious king's water.

Magic Pink wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

dill and anise?

uber barf

Yeah everyone knows the good one is with anise, cumin and fennel.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I have another interview at a second place today. I'm basically taking this interview as practice because it doesn't pay well enough for the long commute but whatever.

I'm taking all opportunities at this point.

Yo I fucking nailed this interview holy shit.

The listing I responded to was very generic for a graphic designer, but it turns out they're backfilling two people in the creative team and also hoping to expand so there are several different roles, and the creative director was interested in me for a more senior leadership position with potentially a higher salary than advertised.

It's also really interesting work and I feel like it would super challenging and fulfilling.

And I knocked it out of the park.

I'm so pumped.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'm on a mailing list in the middle of a reply-all-pocalypse and the 11 year old is doing a zoom group project and I'm fasting for a lab test and can I please just crawl under my table and take a nap until this all stops

Please note, while the aqua vitae was safe for the alechemists to drink, they were literally just distilling strong wine a lot of the time, so essentially they were making unaged brandy of one sort or another. What we have in the lab is ironically distilled to very high purity, and then small amounts of potent poisons are added to "de-nature" it, so we can buy it without paying liquor tax, because if you drink it you will likely at least go blind. So if you DO raid a lab, make sure you have a still and a good method you trust to not carry over methanol or other nasties. Likely more productive than starting from mash again, but I'd still say just go back to mash if you are already distilling.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Please note, while the aqua vitae was safe for the alechemists to drink, they were literally just distilling strong wine a lot of the time, so essentially they were making unaged brandy of one sort or another. What we have in the lab is ironically distilled to very high purity, and then small amounts of potent poisons are added to "de-nature" it, so we can buy it without paying liquor tax, because if you drink it you will likely at least go blind. So if you DO raid a lab, make sure you have a still and a good method you trust to not carry over methanol or other nasties. Likely more productive than starting from mash again, but I'd still say just go back to mash if you are already distilling.

Or just buy commercial liquor. Please don't drink anything that comes from a laboratory.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Or just buy commercial liquor. Please don't drink anything that comes from a laboratory.

Psssh what are you, my dad

Baidol wrote: »

In our mad max future once the liquor store has been emptied (around day 2) people are def coming for the labs though.

Mid-March and I'm still typing 2020 into filenames of things I'm submitting.