As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Zombies are slow, stupid and can't catch healthy adults and children. The only people who are getting eaten are the elderly and those with preexisting conditions.

There are so many of them, though, and they don't need to sleep. They're persistence hunters.

Come to think of it, zombies are to humans what humans are to everything else.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    On the other hand, I now find World War Z's assertion that NZ would largely avoid the virus apart from a small outbreak in Auckland that was stopped from spreading further by some Maori with taiaha entirely believable.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Zombies are slow, stupid and can't catch healthy adults and children. The only people who are getting eaten are the elderly and those with preexisting conditions.

There are so many of them, though, and they don't need to sleep. They're persistence hunters.

Come to think of it, zombies are to humans what humans are to everything else.

Exactly. Many of our monsters are things that are even better than us at the things we're good at, leaving us little hope of beating them (in that area, at least); depending on the desired tone, either we manage to change the playing field to one of our other strengths, or just die.

Also remember that - in much the same way that fairground rides allow riders to safely enjoy fears of heights, speed, falling, etc - zombies are, at their core, a sufficiently fantastical/unreal stand-in for the widespread collapse of lawful society and roaming mobs of hungry people. (Money and status cease to matter, only survival goods and skills count, and so on.) The big difference is that it's 100% morally okay to kill zombies to protect your home and family, whereas you might have a slight twinge doing the same to a fellow living human.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Is this... is this a Coronavirus bit?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I mean the equation changes significantly if you're planning on making it your fulltime job and intend to make a living from it, but occasional freelancing as a side hustle kind of needs to be cheaper than market rate, because you're competing with the safety of a major business.

Yeah I mean she's working part time, and also writing her own stuff as her own side hustle, this is more of a one-off thing right now. But I know she has the attention to detail to be really good at this so I strongly urged her not to underprice herself. I basically walked her through the possibility that this person agrees to her price, and then turns around and not only has a constant source of work for her, but recommends her to others and tells how much he pays; they'll pre-emptively expect that same price, and her (being a good person and soft heart) will not want to fight it too much, and will end up screwing herself in the long run. I basically said, "what's the worst that will happen if you overprice yourself?" and the honest answer was no different than where she's at now, so hopefully she takes that into heavy consideration.

But considering people apparently charge 7-10 cents a word, and that alone would have been about ~$3k for around 8 hours work, compared to the ~$30/hr I recommended as an absolutely floor, I think she'll be fine. This is purely an extra-extra-side gig for a little extra cash to pad our savings, but I did point out that right now, since she's on my health insurance, we actually are almost paying full price (her+me is about 4x what just me was).

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My strategy for the zombie apocalypse in video form

https://youtu.be/oqLCDHjQxEQ

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I've done it. I now own half a business.

This is the worst decision I've made.

The worst decision you've made so far.

Congrats.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Pedia lyte or some generic version of it needs to be part of every jobs 1st aid kit. Because when someone has vacated their Stomach, and is crawling on the ground, you need the good stuff on site

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    See, this is how I know I'm am old. I would grab the water purification filters before the ethanol during civilisation's collapse

I would hit up the pharmacy, grab a bottle of sleeping pills and pick out a nice hillside.
    I'm a domesticated human; I've been acutely aware since the bad old days of the Cold War that if civilization ever truly ends, I would (and would prefer to) go with it.

As a type 1 diabetic, I either immediately become a pig and cattle baron ensuring I have a useful role in post apocalyptic society, and a ready source of close enough animal pancreas to extract insulin from (I think sheep can work too) or I die slowly of uncontrolled glucose levels slowly destroying my nerves and circulatory system from the inside.

So yeah, in an actual apocalypse I always figured I'd be somewhere near the bottom of the skull pile.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Is this... is this a Coronavirus bit?
    The amount of people dying from zombies is less than the flu. I don't see what the big deal is.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    more like americans will be forced to keep working during a zombie apocalypse so stonks can go up.

@Kadith

May I borrow this idea for a short story?

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    How many zombie parties would there be? Intentionally trying to get that herd immunity going faster.

PSN: jfrofl
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    more like americans will be forced to keep working during a zombie apocalypse so stonks can go up.

Kadith

my shit posts definitely don't deserve to be part of anything productively creative

but i would have no problems with you doing so.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just stopped a student fight from escalating past words. I acted quickly and calmly and feel pretty good about it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hey jab thread, there’s some Pfizer mRNA in my arm now. Gonna get dose two in three weeks.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021

Kadith

my shit posts definitely don't deserve to be part of anything productively creative

Thank you

I'm not sure anything will come of it

I'm constantly on the verge of writing fiction and rarely get a word on a page

DouglasDanger on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Please note, while the aqua vitae was safe for the alechemists to drink, they were literally just distilling strong wine a lot of the time, so essentially they were making unaged brandy of one sort or another. What we have in the lab is ironically distilled to very high purity, and then small amounts of potent poisons are added to "de-nature" it, so we can buy it without paying liquor tax, because if you drink it you will likely at least go blind. So if you DO raid a lab, make sure you have a still and a good method you trust to not carry over methanol or other nasties. Likely more productive than starting from mash again, but I'd still say just go back to mash if you are already distilling.

Or just have a lab manager who insists on paying the extra and buying the untainted stuff. Obviously it's because it does better science and not because they had a massive drinking problem.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    A note: if you ever see 200 proof ethanol, do not under any circumstances drink it. The 190 proof azeotrope is dehydrated to 200 proof using potentially very poisonous chemicals.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    My work phone just lit up with an *URGENT* meeting notice for tomorrow morning at 0730.

They put the wrong time so a bunch of folks came in early or called into the zoom for no reason because the person who scheduled the meeting doesn't get in until 0800.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    How many zombie parties would there be? Intentionally trying to get that herd immunity going faster.

Huh. Now that you mention it, it's weird that I've never read a virus-based zombie story where some decent fraction of the population was just immune. I guess it might undermine the whole human extinction stakes, but it'd open up some new story beats. Would the immune survivors be that much better off than everyone else, or would they be used as shock troops and lab rats by non-immune leaders with more firepower? And the whole "kill me before I turn" scene would have a whole other layer of complexity if there's a chance you'll just get over it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Huh. Now that you mention it, it's weird that I've never read a virus-based zombie story where some decent fraction of the population was just immune. I guess it might undermine the whole human extinction stakes, but it'd open up some new story beats. Would the immune survivors be that much better off than everyone else, or would they be used as shock troops and lab rats by non-immune leaders with more firepower? And the whole "kill me before I turn" scene would have a whole other layer of complexity if there's a chance you'll just get over it.

The Feed trilogy by Mira Grant goes into it kinda but I can't recommend them on account of weird gross pseudo-incest showing up in book 2/3. Anyways, being immune to the virus doesn't prevent you from still being killed and eaten so not a lot of good there.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    New laptop day's always fun. At least in this case I am getting to manage the transfer of my own data across systems... but I have so much cruft that I don't want to sort though that it is taking FOREVER.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    A note: if you ever see 200 proof ethanol, do not under any circumstances drink it. The 190 proof azeotrope is dehydrated to 200 proof using potentially very poisonous chemicals.

What, you don't like the refreshing taste of benzene?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Left 4 Dead actually has some of this, with the main characters being immune (mainly so you don't turn into a zombie with one hit I assume) and the tie-in comics going a bit more into that
    Like having Zoe's tragic backstory include killing her dad before he turns... and later when the whole immunity thing is being explained to them the doctor mentions it seems to be patrilineal

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Please note, while the aqua vitae was safe for the alechemists to drink, they were literally just distilling strong wine a lot of the time, so essentially they were making unaged brandy of one sort or another. What we have in the lab is ironically distilled to very high purity, and then small amounts of potent poisons are added to "de-nature" it, so we can buy it without paying liquor tax, because if you drink it you will likely at least go blind. So if you DO raid a lab, make sure you have a still and a good method you trust to not carry over methanol or other nasties. Likely more productive than starting from mash again, but I'd still say just go back to mash if you are already distilling.

Or just have a lab manager who insists on paying the extra and buying the untainted stuff. Obviously it's because it does better science and not because they had a massive drinking problem.

Everclear is RIGHT there if that's the way you want to go. That's wild and a hell of a bummer. Or wait, I guess they don't sell pure grain alcohol everywhere, but still.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    My state is now allowing public employees to get the vaccine. I got really excited until I went and checked what a public employee actually is. It's certainly not me despite being a public facing employee.

At this point it feels like a miracle that I or any of my coworkers have not gotten sick since we fully reopened in June. We're not exactly retail, it's only a small portion of what we do, and we are not essential despite how busy we've been the past few months. Many of us have interacted with a couple of thousand people since June. Almost always closer than 6ft apart because our employer never put up any kind of barrier in front of the counter(s). We do the best we can by masking up, using sanitizer, and taking what precautions we can. With the new variant become ever more present and business continuing to get busier the day I can finally get my vaccine can't come soon enough. I wont deny that I'm getting jealous of how many people I know that work from home and rarely go out have gotten their vaccine but I still can't. I'm very sorry if that's selfish but considering how much interaction I have with the public I continue to be about my safety.

I'm also pretty worried about how much of a shit show open registration is going to be if NYS's unemployment registration fiasco was anything to go by. Granted it's been a year but I'm not particularly hopeful.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I really wish people wouldn't message me asking if I'm going to do a thing. I was planning to do the thing, but now you've asked me I don't want to any more.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Kadith

Thank you

As an aside you know there would be frat parties with a zombie on a chain as entertainment and a bunch of dumb youths daring each other.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Kadith

Thank you

As an aside you know there would be frat parties with a zombie on a chain as entertainment and a bunch of dumb youths daring each other.

wasn't that in land of the dead, one of the most terrible zombie films?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This is a very wacky work day.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Kadith

Thank you

wasn't that in land of the dead, one of the most terrible zombie films?

Probably. Its a movie I watched once them promptly forgot.

Id still watch it over that Boyscouts guide to zombies or whatever it was called.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I really wish people wouldn't message me asking if I'm going to do a thing. I was planning to do the thing, but now you've asked me I don't want to any more.

What if someone asks you to not do the thing? Does that make you want to do it more?
    Don't do the thing, smof!

PSN: jfrofl
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Calling in sick today was definitely the right move. Between the cedar pollen, working eight days straight, and wrecked sleep patterns due to DST and nightly thunderstorms, I don't feel human today. Time to retreat into my hermit crab shell and try to regrow a passable set of social skills.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Home Depot trip on the company dime, hell yeah.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hey I just scheduled my first "final round" interview in 10 months of searching through a pandemic.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Ya’ll and Folks are my two imformal adresses. If im addressing formally its either *company* or *department* team, like “accounting team, i need help...”

I'm definitely a fan of "folks" as well. It allows me to come across as more "human" I guess in my written customer communication beyond the "Dear Sirs/Everyone" etc.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    "hey I haven't done this video edit thing yet because it might be a huge pain and I have to create a bunch of animations first, so I need to be able to completely clear my plate for an afternoon. I'll see if I can get to it."
    "Here's an ffmpeg command I just googled!"

Yes thats what I love, a helpful comment I didn't ask for that doesn't remotely solve my problem. Like it's not that I don't know how, all of these steps are straightforward in theory, it's that I have to anticipate running into something goofy and make sure I'm not gonna spend hours down a rabbit hole at the expense of all my other work.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Threw together my PowerPoint for my interview on Monday (gotta do a 5 minute presentation on a past project)

It really helps when you do a thing that has a wide amount of tech coverage, high quality photos everywhere!! And three videos of the different elements in use, too - this shit is gonna be multimedia

Tomorrow I'm going to work on the spoken content itself and then just casually practice it all weekend, I'm feeling good about it

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Student 2 as detailed here and here was escorted by her teacher to my office door with her device today.

The screen was disgustingly filthy. I handed her a clorox wipe and she cleaned the screen and it was fixed in 15 seconds.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    expendable wrote: »
    Student 2 as detailed here and here was escorted by her teacher to my office door with her device today.

The screen was disgustingly filthy. I handed her a clorox wipe and she cleaned the screen and it was fixed in 15 seconds.

:?

3cl1ps3 on