As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

1939495969799»

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Biggest things for me in games is Exploration, Lore, and Story. It's not that I don't like puzzles and combat, exactly; it's that if puzzles and combat get in the way of Exploration, Lore, and Story, I start to get annoyed.

Sounds like you want Disco Elysium.

Seconding this, with some elaboration: DE is a weird hybrid of adventure game and RPG with no combat systems; there are physical threats but it's all hashed out in conversation, with active and passive skillchecks determine what your character notices and how they react. You gain experience both from learning about the world (as the protagonist is experiencing amnesia) and being thorough in your investigation. The world and its characters are excellently written, with a tight focus on a small piece of a very large and strange-yet-familiar world, and there's a compelling combination of mysteries to drive the plot.

Just wrapped up a playthrough myself, though it's actually getting a free update on March 30 to coincide with the console release: new quests, full voice acting, presumably other goodies as well. By far one of the most interesting games I've played since the original Deus Ex.

Kalnaur covered most of the other stuff I'd recommend, particularly Prey and Deus Ex, but here's a few I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Talos Principle - It's a puzzle game that looks like it's going to be off-brand Portal, but in practice is a mature bit of science fiction that just happens to have puzzles for its gameplay. You wouldn't expect to have dialogue options and multiple endings in something like this, but you're very much encouraged to explore, read, and converse as much as you can. You're given a big, open area with sectioned off puzzle rooms and secrets to uncover between them, and spend quite a bit of time debating philosophy and looking for ways to disobey a literal booming voice in the sky. The writing is sharp and it wields its bittersweet revelations with care, grounding high-concept discussions with proper emotional weight. It still boggles the mind that this is from the Serious Sam developers, of all people.

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall and Hong Kong - Returns was basically a demo reel for what Harebrained Schemes had in mind for Shadowrun, but Dragonfall and Hong Kong are solidly-built campaigns with a good core of mystery to them. Of the two I think Dragonfall is stronger overall, with some surprising heart and charm in an otherwise gritty cyberpunk adventure, but Hong Kong boasts major improvements to gameplay and has overall better mission design with less emphasis on combat. Either way you're given time to get to know your teammates and do quite a bit of looking around between missions, learning about the world and your tiny-but-significant place in it. Easy recommendations for anybody that likes Shadowrun, or just good pieces of fiction delivered by way of turn-based RPG.

Darkwood - This one delivers its story piecemeal as you struggle to survive in a strange, enclosed forest. You'll be exploring anyway to gather resources and shore up your hideout to survive the night, but along the way you encounter various clues for the greater context: a village consumed by plant overgrowth, people succumbing to mutations, Soviet-era military hardware left abandoned, that kind of thing. The few people you meet or read about are seemingly as lost as you, all struggling to survive some alien phenomenon. Fair warning that the game clock runs constantly unless it explicitly tells you otherwise (e.g. in the morning before you leave the hideout), so you'll want to be sure you've dealt with any nearby threats before juggling inventory or such. Still, this one sat with me long after the credits rolled.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Talos Principle is excellent. One of my favorite 3D puzzle games.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    j2rmn90c4a5x.png

TOO BAD @Iolo IM ACKNOWLEDGING YOU

I confess, I bounced HARD off the Asscreed series initially -- I can't even remember when I got bored with 1, and 2 I know I got too caught up in trying to build my house and then frustrated and quit. But I'm happy to try to give it another chance!

Re the suggestions for DX:HR, I got stuck trying to do the cop outpost nonlethally like, very early on, in that I could NOT figure out what the game actually wanted from me, and I gave up. I might someday give the game another shot, but the lack of intuitive-ness on how I was supposed to infiltrate hurt me. With Dishonored, I did use guides basically the whole way, but what I appreciated is that 80% of the time, using a guide felt like "oh, DUH, of course"

Basically, I guess, if I resort to using a guide, and then I STILL find your game obtuse, I am gonna peace out.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Given your tolerance for older games (and assuming you haven't played it yet), I'd recommend giving the original Deus Ex a try. It's a classic for a reason.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    j2rmn90c4a5x.png

TOO BAD Iolo IM ACKNOWLEDGING YOU

I confess, I bounced HARD off the Asscreed series initially -- I can't even remember when I got bored with 1, and 2 I know I got too caught up in trying to build my house and then frustrated and quit. But I'm happy to try to give it another chance!

Re the suggestions for DX:HR, I got stuck trying to do the cop outpost nonlethally like, very early on, in that I could NOT figure out what the game actually wanted from me, and I gave up. I might someday give the game another shot, but the lack of intuitive-ness on how I was supposed to infiltrate hurt me. With Dishonored, I did use guides basically the whole way, but what I appreciated is that 80% of the time, using a guide felt like "oh, DUH, of course"

Basically, I guess, if I resort to using a guide, and then I STILL find your game obtuse, I am gonna peace out.

Asscreed got a big gameplay revamp with Origins, the one before Odyssey. It plays a lot better than it used to. Much more responsive than the old combat system that had to coordinate animations between two models.

I can't remember how I did that mission in HR but I do know how I wish I had: I saw someone use the heavy lifting upgrade to move around vending machines and furniture to block doorways that the inhabitants would otherwise look through or walk out of. Basically played as the most annoying office renovator.

Basically if an immersive sim offers you a power that lets you move furniture, you should always take it because it will enable shenanigans. In Prey (the Arkane one), I used couches and stuff to clog up replicators that spawned in hostile robots.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I can't remember how I did that mission in HR but I do know how I wish I had: I saw someone use the heavy lifting upgrade to move around vending machines and furniture to block doorways that the inhabitants would otherwise look through or walk out of. Basically played as the most annoying office renovator.

Basically if an immersive sim offers you a power that lets you move furniture, you should always take it because it will enable shenanigans. In Prey (the Arkane one), I used couches and stuff to clog up replicators that spawned in hostile robots.

Fond memories of a moment early in HR where someone came into the place after you were rummaging around in the back and would catch you as there was no other exit, and of pre-emptively building a wall of cardboard boxes through the living room and over the kitchen counter cut-out window that let me slip out unseen and apparently unsuspected.

Deus Ex dares to imagine many things, but the boldest is a future in which adults can build box forts in their own homes and that's not regarded as unusual.

s7Imn5J.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021

Fond memories of a moment early in HR where someone came into the place after you were rummaging around in the back and would catch you as there was no other exit, and of pre-emptively building a wall of cardboard boxes through the living room and over the kitchen counter cut-out window that let me slip out unseen and apparently unsuspected.

Deus Ex dares to imagine many things, but the boldest is a future in which adults can build box forts in their own homes and that's not regarded as unusual.

Never forget that Eidos Montreal made a trailer acknowledging how powerful fridges were to advertise the DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtCllSsfcg

HR wasn't perfect but damned if it wasn't a Deus Ex game where it counted :+1:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Asscreed got a big gameplay revamp with Origins, the one before Odyssey. It plays a lot better than it used to. Much more responsive than the old combat system that had to coordinate animations between two models.

I will add to this that part of that gameplay revamp was getting rid of those annoying extra mission objectives that they really pushed for you to do. Most missions and quests feel like they integrate in with the open world, instead of forming instantly invisible railroad tracks that you can't stray from. I mean, they'll still give you a place or a target and you need to go there, but you don't have to, like, not kill guards or use 5 chokeholds or only use ranged attacks or not be seen or whatever.

Do know, however, that some results in quests can change depending on how well you do in sneaking, for example. AC Odyssey has an early quest I remember seeing someone play through, and they were told to be sneaky and not let the people see them, but the person was not sneaky, and so on return to the quest giver that person was being attacked because . . . they knew who you were in cahoots with. Just little touches like that, where your play might impact subtle moments without exactly drastically altering the entire landscape of the game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So my girlfriend and I were really enjoying playing Afterparty, the game where you try to escape hell by outdrinking Satan, made by the folks who made Oxenfree.

That's were. Past tense.

You see, apparently there's a gamebreaking softlock bug 4 hours into the game that can prevent you from progressing at all, and all you have to do to trigger it is reach the first "your game is being saved" icon in a long time and decide "ok, it's late, game saved, good time to stop for now" and quit the game. And BOOM! Your save is ruined! manual saves don't exist, so there's literally no recourse other than playing through all 4 hours again from scratch. Multiple people have posted about it on multiple forums, months ago, and the devs haven't said a peep about any bugfixes anytime. So I guess we're never going to see how it ends.

Pro-tip, learn from our mistake: If you see anything about a Dance Off coming up in the game, do not quit the game until you are past it.

edit: if anyone wants a more specific guidance to avoid the softlock, no real plot spoilers, just specifics below:
    When you are on the arc to get the seal from Asmodeus, you will get to a choice between "Find Beth" or "Win Dance-off." If you choose "Win Dance-off", you will register for the dance-off, then go into a thing where you have to get one of the characters to go through some plot stuff, and then after the plot event is resolved the DJ will text you that it's time for you to do the dance-off and the autosave logo will tell you that now is a perfectly good time to quit the game till tomorrow. IT IS A LIAR. If you quit the game between getting the text and starting the dance-off, the DJ will never talk to you and you're locked in the bar for eternity.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So my girlfriend and I were really enjoying playing Afterparty, the game where you try to escape hell by outdrinking Satan, made by the folks who made Oxenfree.

That's were. Past tense.

You see, apparently there's a gamebreaking softlock bug 4 hours into the game that can prevent you from progressing at all, and all you have to do to trigger it is reach the first "your game is being saved" icon in a long time and decide "ok, it's late, game saved, good time to stop for now" and quit the game. And BOOM! Your save is ruined! manual saves don't exist, so there's literally no recourse other than playing through all 4 hours again from scratch. Multiple people have posted about it on multiple forums, months ago, and the devs haven't said a peep about any bugfixes anytime. So I guess we're never going to see how it ends.

Pro-tip, learn from our mistake: If you see anything about a Dance Off coming up in the game, do not quit the game until you are past it.

edit: if anyone wants a more specific guidance to avoid the softlock, no real plot spoilers, just specifics below:
    When you are on the arc to get the seal from Asmodeus, you will get to a choice between "Find Beth" or "Win Dance-off." If you choose "Win Dance-off", you will register for the dance-off, then go into a thing where you have to get one of the characters to go through some plot stuff, and then after the plot event is resolved the DJ will text you that it's time for you to do the dance-off and the autosave logo will tell you that now is a perfectly good time to quit the game till tomorrow. IT IS A LIAR. If you quit the game between getting the text and starting the dance-off, the DJ will never talk to you and you're locked in the bar for eternity.

Depending on how saves are handled, if you know someone who plays, or benefits from this advice, they might be able to dump a functional save for you.

As for...
    ...the DJ will never talk to you and you're locked in the bar for eternity.

I know it's a horrible, game-breaking bug, which sucks, but that sounds very thematically appropriate.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    (wrong thread)

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    just got my 1st (moderna) this morning. 25 minutes in and out (including the 15 minute, "make sure you don't keel over" waiting period)

Had a similar thing a few weeks back when I got my first pfizer jab. All the documentation they give you suggests getting the second one something like 12 days later, but this being the NHS they said "lol try 12 weeks"

Not like I'm out of the house much now, what with having been shit-canned from work. But hey, I just unlocked the necromancer in Loop Hero, and he's a pretty cool guy. Eh summons skellymans and doesn't afraid of anything.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    snip but a lot of stuff about game suggestions!

I'm avoiding Disco Elysium because it looks like it touches a bit too close to home on topics of mental illness and depression in ways that are likely to cause me issues :( I get that it's an incredible game, but it's not going to be a game for me, because I'm often looking for some form of escapism, and "Confronting your own brain constantly and arguing with yourself" isn't escapism for me.

Similarly, Darkwood is a no-go, I can't stand games with a time clock for similar Brain Issues reasons (this is one big reason I quit trying Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall)

Might check out Talos Principle though.

As for Shadowrun: I've played all three games, I LOVE them, and I'm going to take the time to promote a fan mod series for SR:HK that I love. They're set in the California Free State and are written by someone local to the SF Bay Area in a way that if you have ever lived in the SF Bay Area you'll be like OMG I KNOW THAT PLACE and "oh man WHAT." Example: one Run takes you into the SF Armory :P

The Antumbra Saga
    The Caldecott Caper
    CaliFree in Chains

Antumbra is the least polished of the three, but you get to summon the spirit of Emperor Norton, who is the guardian spirit of California.
    Caldecott is very much a middle entry but it's still good and I think that's the one with the run on the SF Armory.
    CaliFree is the best of the lot overall, very well polished, and completely broke my heart and played with my emotions. Fair warning: The ending is brutal and devastating and there is no way to make it come out 100% okay.

Deus Ex: I obviously need to give that a second go, both the first game and HR. I hear that the sequels to both are lame and fine to ignore?

I think therefore my current To Play List is gonna be:

Asscreed Odyssey, then Thief 2 (and probably Thief 1), then OG Deus Ex, then another shot at DX:HR

The other weirdness for me about DX:HR is that my name is Jensen :V

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @CorriganX Hammered me with some war and baned me with some chaos! Thank you for Warhammer Chaosbane, it looks like it will be fun! ♥

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Deus Ex: I obviously need to give that a second go, both the first game and HR. I hear that the sequels to both are lame and fine to ignore?

I think therefore my current To Play List is gonna be:

Asscreed Odyssey, then Thief 2 (and probably Thief 1), then OG Deus Ex, then another shot at DX:HR

The other weirdness for me about DX:HR is that my name is Jensen :V

Invisible War is lame and fine to ignore.

Mankind Divided is good. It got hate at launch due to microtransactions for things like perk points people were freaked out you'd need to buy to finish the game. The scope of the game is also smaller and some people missed the globe trotting nature of the series before that. Instead you revisit the same city between travel missions and see it at different times.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    A new beginning ir near.
    Just remember...
    mho1NpX.gif
    Also, why not

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Viking wrote: »
    This is a genre that I am happy to see return.

Petroglyph are working on Earthbreakers which looks even more C&C Renegade.
    https://youtu.be/-HtV9ZtdKVM

I think I like the appearance of this one more than Eximus. I lean more on the Battlezone side of hybrid RTS games (vehicles.)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    A new beginning ir near.
    Just remember...
    mho1NpX.gif
    Also, why not
    Corriganx

Fear is the mindkiller

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    The only winning move is to not post.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Gifting. Gifting attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. Gifting is my ally.

Gifting is the path to the Dark Side.
    Gifting leads to posting.
    Posting leads to a new thread.
    A new thread leads to monstering.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    No fear in this Dojo. Don't bow to @MNC Dover and his threats. Live your life free of fear, and relish in the freedom!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    CorriganX wrote: »
    No fear in this Dojo. Don't bow to @MNC Dover and his threats. Live your life free of fear, and relish in the freedom!

Good. Gooooood. Let the posts flow through you.

It is unavoidable. It is your destiny....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »

Good. Gooooood. Let the posts flow through you.

It is unavoidable. It is your destiny....

Every day brings us closer to gifting.

steam_sig.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I want to see @Orivon be the only one to post in the new thread.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    We could all just co-op and gift Dover first...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The best defense is a good offense.

steam_sig.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    GIFT FIRST
    GIFT HARD
    NO MERCY

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Prepare! What do we study here? The way of the gift, sir!

We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the threads, in chats. A gifter confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

What is the problem, MNC Dover?

steam_sig.png
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Wait, what's going on with the new thread? Is Dover going mad and gifting anyone who posts to the new one for the first few pages? I just gave away some stuff, so I'm good.....right?

camo_sig.png
    x48rmohylgf2.jpg

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    b0v03fgp4yum.png

Ah, I see that @Pixelated Pixie made a pre-emptive strike. This shall not go unpunished....

Also thank you! You monster!

I've been interested in trying out Loop Hero, hell I even made a thread for the game, but Bravely Default II has been consuming my time. Maybe I'll just try a loop or two....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Oh son of a....

jngnx3dmn6zz.png

OK, I'm officially writing down names and there will be consequences.

And thanks for the game @Betsuni! This one looked really neat when I watched someone playing it. How many genres will Roguelikes infect?!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    This was always a chance you took...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Looks like it's about that time and since @MNC Dover is the one who isn't safe now, it's the perfect time!

NEW THREAD!!!
    NEW THREAD!!!
    NEW THREAD!!!

Head on over and post away! The first page is always the safest!

@Echo - can you please send this thread iteration to the Halls of Valhalla? Thank you kindly. Skål!

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    How many genres will Roguelikes infect?!

All of them, Katie!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Till they wrap around and become roguelike-likes.

This discussion has been closed.