As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    The thing that gets me is that for their DLC characters, you know one of the big things that is supposed to keep people excited about playing the game, they are releasing not one, but TWO Hawkeyes.

I get for people that are really into the comics there are probably some substantial differences, but as somebody who's primary interaction with the Marvel are the movies, some games like Marvel Heroes, and old cartoons I saw as a kid, this is just beyond boring. Two new characters and they are both bow & arrow people with the same hero name. Really? Like really?

I get Chadwick's death threw their development plans for a loop, but is there no other hero they could have released instead of the same one twice? Hell they announced Spider-Man for playstation ages ago and still no word on when that is ever going to happen.

You know this is actually a problem that I had with Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and its boring roster.

You can tell characters aren't added because they are fun or add new interesting mechanics. It's what heroes best coincide with our MCU release schedule for maximum promotion.

Which is really blah to me.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I used to collect a lot of comics back in the early-to-mid 2000s, including a good share of Marvel comics. Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, but I've never really found myself caring about Hawkeye. The first Avengers movie did him dirty. They made him the badguy (through mind control) for like 70% of the movie and by the time he joined the team proper, the only thing left for him to do was shoot a few aliens in the final battle. It's like the writers don't know what to do with him either.

All that goes to say that Hawkeye joining the cast is not even remotely something I care about. Talking Clint Barton here. Sadly for Kate Bishop, I have never even heard of that character until she was announced for this game. And that includes me collecting comics for a number of years.

Furthermore, new characters won't fix the game. Playing the same dull levels with the same dull AIM Robots, and the same two supervillain boss fights (Taskmaster and Abomination) will not be magically made better and more fun because now I'm a bow and arrow character. Two nearly identical character releases aren't gonna fix the problems of this game. And quite frankly, neither is Spider-Man.

No, the way they would have to correctly fix this game is to quite literally scrap all of the old multiplayer stages and rebuild them, and on top of that I'd say they need about quadruple the enemy variety, and at least 6 or 7 unique supervillain bosses. Giant AIM Robots where you have to destroy the legs first do not count as superhero boss fights. Not when one of those superheroes is a literal god, and another might as well be a god because his power scaling is so bonkers.

Anyway... the moral of the story is that I'm fairly certain this game is beyond redemption. They can't/won't remake the whole game to be fun. And even a few bandaid fixes won't resolve the underlying problems that the game really just isn't very good.

Lucascraft on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Oh man I stopped playing halfway through the campaign to wait for a Series X upgrade. If I was going to grind my way to powerful characters I might as well do it on the better looking version. I guess I'm spending the weekend grinding. What's the best way to do that? The sim rooms?

Sim rooms were the quickest for sure, though you don't get gear from them so I'm not really sure that's ideal in the long run. I don't think the xp bump is going to be massive, they quoted maybe an additional 3-5 hours to hit max level, so I'm not exactly rushing to go grind more characters this weekend myself. You're still going to be doing the actually slow gear grind regardless, imo.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    All that goes to say that Hawkeye joining the cast is not even remotely something I care about. Talking Clint Barton here. Sadly for Kate Bishop, I have never even heard of that character until she was announced for this game. And that includes me collecting comics for a number of years.

Matt Fraction's series for Hawkeye is great and recommend you check it out.

I do like Matt Fraction. He was writing Iron Man back when I was collecting, and it was good stuff.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Black Panther officially exists:

Still don’t think I’m coming back.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm curious if that finally releasing means the content pipeline for the game is gonna start getting back on track, it hasn't even been a full year and it feels like game is on its last legs

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    They also revealed this roadmap, so it looks like at least up to Black Panther they're working on new stuff:
    MarvelsAvengers_Roadmap.jpg

Edit: Looks like a large improvement is letting you go into missions with multiples of the same hero. Should make matchmaking much less of a hassle for the five people still playing.

Cruor on
    edited March 2021
    Yeah that should never have been a thing to begin with. Adding that roadmap to the OP!

Wait looking at it closely, it says summer and beyond which a little worrying haha

Local H Jay on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    just in time for nobody to play it ever again!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    just in time for nobody to play it ever again!

They're way too late on that front

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Wow. On xbox all my saves are on the cloud and thanks to Smart Delivery work by default...

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I think I might be willing to give this a shot with the next gen upgrade. If it helps make load times faster it'll make the game much more manageable.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wow. On xbox all my saves are on the cloud and thanks to Smart Delivery work by default...

Yeah I lost my BL3 save because the above is how you were supposed to do it. I tried copying my BL3 save from my ps4 to my ps5 and then attempted the import but it didn't work. Apparently I was supposed to migrate the PS4 save from my old PS4 to my PS5, install and launch the game in PS4 mode, do the save file transfer, launch the game in PS5 mode and then do the save transfer again.

edited March 2021
    that's how the migration worked on Spiderman PS4 -> PS5 as well which completely fucked me.

I owned Spiderman PS4 on disc. I sold my PS4 copy of Spiderman and my PS4, but first I made sure all my saves were backed up to the cloud.
    I own the Digital PS5 and the Digital version of Spiderman PS5.

Because I don't have the digital version of Spiderman PS4 I can never login to this latest version of Spiderman that got patched and click the transfer save button. IT FUCKING SUCKS. I don't understand why the PS5 can't auto-download PS4 cloud save games and convert them. it's RIDICULOUS.

edit - note I got my PS5 at launch and sold my PS4 before launch and this Spiderman PS4 patch didn't come out till weeks after launch

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    At this point they're definitely hoping that the Wakanda expansion will save the game and the content before that is certainly better than nothing but if you're looking for a reason to revisit the game it's probably not going to be that convincing. My assumption is that Wakanda will come with "Gear 2.0" and they won't sneak that in any earlier. Of course, Kate's exotics were at least more interesting than the initial set so I assume Clint's will be too. If they can get some more unique gear in for other characters AND actually manage to launch Cloning Labs then that might be enough to lure some people back in before Wakanda? And also, real talk, if they can't figure out the issues that are stopping them from launching Cloning Labs then I'll be highly skeptical that Wakanda is going to make a huge difference.

re: summer and beyond and that being worrying, in their streams they've still been very enthusiastic about saying the game is being supported for years yet. I know this doesn't technically mean a whole lot and it's very much a PR speak thing but typically if a game is in a more nebulous state they would probably cut back a bit on pushing that line. I would also assume they wouldn't be publishing this road map. It certainly doesn't mean all this content WILL get released, but SE has historically been pretty relaxed about letting devs figure their stuff out and recover and if they're putting this roadmap out they've at least been promised that they'll have a chance to release Wakanda. Right now my assumption is Wakanda will be early fall maybe, in interviews they also said Spider-Man is still coming this year but it'll be after Wakanda.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I think I might be willing to give this a shot with the next gen upgrade. If it helps make load times faster it'll make the game much more manageable.

I got my save all transferred to the PS5 version and gave it a spin. The loading times are significantly better. We're talking 3-4 seconds. In fact, they don't even bother to show the zoomed in character loading screens. It's honestly kind of strange not being greeted by Hulk's high res spittle for 30+ seconds when loading missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMNLZgApDGM

This video sold me on giving the game another shot on the PS5 by upgrading my game. The load times are ridiculously better on the PS5. That will make playing it much less frustrating.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jesus that save migration reminds me of moving me 1 saves to me 2 on the PC, what a pain in the ass.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    This is the first time I've had to do this type of migration. I had assumed Spider-Man was a bit of a special case since Remastered isn't just the PS4 version upgraded. It's something you have to get separately. Otherwise I haven't been playing games that had an upgrade after the fact since, fortunately, it's only a handful of games that need this. But either way yikes.

To be honest they should have done a smaller patch on the PS4 version a week ago that added the migration option so people could do that in preparation. This is still poor planning on CD's part imo, especially knowing the limitations of the system.

I think this one is on Sony for not having a better import tool

I think this one is on Sony for not having a better import tool

It's on both. CD knew about the limitation and could have added the export save button to a patch a week+ ago which would have resolved most of the issue. The fact that they have to do that at all is on Sony, yeah, but CD still had the chance to make it easier.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    How well does this game do Kamala Khan? I mean, her character. That's probably the main thing that will get me to play the main campaign. Well, that and the price falling to 20 bucks.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    How well does this game do Kamala Khan? I mean, her character. That's probably the main thing that will get me to play the main campaign. Well, that and the price falling to 20 bucks.

She is the best part of the entire experience by a comfortable margin. Not only is her character done justice, but she’s actually fun to play as while leveling (she probably got more attention since the campaign is built around her) which is more than you can say for the others (with the arguable exception of Natasha; YMMV, of course).

Sneaks on
    Sony fucked up how you do this and it's up to Devs to patch in a process

I blame Sony more on this

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sneaks wrote: »

She is the best part of the entire experience by a comfortable margin. Not only is her character done justice, but she’s actually fun to play as while leveling (she probably got more attention since the campaign is built around her) which is more than you can say for the others (with the arguable exception of Natasha; YMMV, of course).

Yeah she's a really fun character in the story and her powers are fun to play with. And she's a healer so she's the "easier" character to pick up and play.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

She is honestly the best thing about the actual story. I thought she would be boring to play as and is actually a ton of fun to play also. She is one of the shining beacons of greatness in this game and makes you realize how much better the game could have been. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    re: summer and beyond and that being worrying, in their streams they've still been very enthusiastic about saying the game is being supported for years yet. I know this doesn't technically mean a whole lot and it's very much a PR speak thing but typically if a game is in a more nebulous state they would probably cut back a bit on pushing that line. I would also assume they wouldn't be publishing this road map. It certainly doesn't mean all this content WILL get released, but SE has historically been pretty relaxed about letting devs figure their stuff out and recover and if they're putting this roadmap out they've at least been promised that they'll have a chance to release Wakanda. Right now my assumption is Wakanda will be early fall maybe, in interviews they also said Spider-Man is still coming this year but it'll be after Wakanda.

I figure they've got support locked in for about a year right now, but that devs are still making longer-term plans on the assumption that squeenix doesn't pull out of its sunk cost fallacy anytime soon.

Jeez. I forget to visit the internet for like 4 hours and I miss all this.

Yeah, I'll take the free PS5 upgrade, since I can. But if importing my save isn't seamless and easy, I might quit before I even begin. The campaign was fun enough, but I don't really have a desire to do it all over again. Especially since I did put another 10 or so hours into the postgame.

No sign of Spider-Man on the roadmap. I hope that's just an oversight. Or maybe the roadmap is tailored to "all audiences" and they'll have a separate reveal for just PS4/5 owners soon.

Even still, let's assume a best-case scenario and I'm able to easily import my save and pickup where I left off. There's still not really anything new right now. Sure, I can do the Kate and Clint missions, which might take a couple hours but then what? Wait for 6 more months for Wakanda to come out? It's gonna be September before we see Black Panther. I know it. In my heart. And by then the game will be more dead than it is already.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Jeez. I forget to visit the internet for like 4 hours and I miss all this.

Yeah, I'll take the free PS5 upgrade, since I can. But if importing my save isn't seamless and easy, I might quit before I even begin. The campaign was fun enough, but I don't really have a desire to do it all over again. Especially since I did put another 10 or so hours into the postgame.

No sign of Spider-Man on the roadmap. I hope that's just an oversight. Or maybe the roadmap is tailored to "all audiences" and they'll have a separate reveal for just PS4/5 owners soon.

Even still, let's assume a best-case scenario and I'm able to easily import my save and pickup where I left off. There's still not really anything new right now. Sure, I can do the Kate and Clint missions, which might take a couple hours but then what? Wait for 6 more months for Wakanda to come out? It's gonna be September before we see Black Panther. I know it. In my heart. And by then the game will be more dead than it is already.

If you still have the PS4 version installed make sure you update it and load it first and go to export save on the main menu. Then when you first load up the PS5 version it should just automatically pick it up.

If you don't have the PS4 version you do have to install it again first because Sony lol.

Re: Spider-Man, in separate interviews they've said he's still coming this year but likely after Black Panther.

My PS4 console system is not hooked up anymore. I still have it, but I tried to do the import without it. No luck. For some silly reason my PS4 cloud drive is showing up as empty when I try to access it on the PS5, so I can't pull down my original save. I did install the PS4 version of the game onto my PS5 and loaded it up. There was no game data there. It acted as if I were starting fresh. So I'm gonna have to hook back up my actual PS4 and patch it and do all that shenanigans just to import. What a pain in the ass.

I own AC Valhalla and I didn't have to jump through any of these hoops. I just put my PS4 game disc into my PS5, installed it, did the game upgrade and Voila! there was my game waiting for me. It was magical.

Yeah, that's because Ubisoft has done a big push for cross progression so all their (newer) games store cloud saves on their servers as well. It's great and more companies need to follow suit.

Of course this is another problem that would have been avoided if saves in Avengers weren't local, but the one positive thing here is clearly they have the infrastructure to store saves now. Whether or not they'll actually use that like they should have from the start is up in the air though.

As an aside though, while your PS4 is hooked up if you have PS+ you should go in and make sure all your PS4 saves get uploaded, I'm uhh surprised you haven't run into issues trying to play PS4 games on your PS5 so far.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Trying out the next gen update, also haven’t played any of the new stuff, so far enjoyable enough. Very pretty and very smooth frame rate, still great combat, if only the loot system had been remotely interesting and there had been more enemy variety this game would’ve had something

I’m running the high quality true 4K mode, it says it’s 30 FPS but it looks like 60fps? Is that just the text still from the previous gen version?

Prohass on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Trying out the next gen update, also haven’t played any of the new stuff, so far enjoyable enough. Very pretty and very smooth frame rate, still great combat, if only the loot system had been remotely interesting and there had been more enemy variety this game would’ve had something

I’m running the high quality true 4K mode, it says it’s 30 FPS but it looks like 60fps? Is that just the text still from the previous gen version?

The enemies are one of my big complaints with the game. Not only are they often very tedious to fight, but they are just so uninteresting. And I still am constantly getting juggled by of screen stuff. I really hope they tune that in the future.
    The loot system as well but I just dont even pay attention to it anymore.

The Hawkeye stuff was fun enough, though short. He is enjoyable to play despite getting Kate as the other more recent char.

I went STRAIGHT to performance mode on PS5 after the upgrade and will never look back.

As an aside though, while your PS4 is hooked up if you have PS+ you should go in and make sure all your PS4 saves get uploaded, I'm uhh surprised you haven't run into issues trying to play PS4 games on your PS5 so far.

All of my PS4 games are set to auto-sync to the cloud. I double checked this last night when I hooked back up my PS4. I also did a manual sync of my Avengers save data to the cloud. I'm not sure why the entire cloud is showing empty on my PS5, because there should be years worth of data in there. And it shows up when I look at it from my PS4. Weird.

Also! I haven't run into additional issues trying to play PS4 games on my PS5, because Valhalla was the first, and like I said, it worked like magic. Avengers is only the 2nd game I've tried. Everything else that I've played on my PS5 is either a PS5 game, or else a PS4 game that I bought brand new on my PS5 and have never played on my PS4. (Such as Persona 5 Strikers).

Alright, with much ado I got my save imported to my PS5. I think I'll jump right into the Kate Bishop chapter and see what she's all about.

There's another dev stream today that I'm looking forward to, maybe they'll hint at some things coming in the shorter term (Cloning labs please). They do one most fridays but it's usually pretty boring since they weren't allowed to talk about, well, anything revealed yesterday. They say they aren't going to reveal anything else, but the roadmap content seems pretty fair game so anything up to Wakanda hopefully.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    There's another dev stream today that I'm looking forward to, maybe they'll hint at some things coming in the shorter term (Cloning labs please). They do one most fridays but it's usually pretty boring since they weren't allowed to talk about, well, anything revealed yesterday. They say they aren't going to reveal anything else, but the roadmap content seems pretty fair game so anything up to Wakanda hopefully.

I really do appreciate your optimism about this game lol

I haven't played this game since late November. I totally don't remember how to play. The default button mappings are weird. And I nearly died in the very first fight of the first Kate Bishop mission.

The smart thing to do would be to continue to play AC Valhalla since that's my current game. Playing this will just confuse my muscle memory.

urahonky wrote: »

I really do appreciate your optimism about this game lol

Eh, I think there's a good core in there. I don't think the problems it has are impossible to fix, but I do think anyone unhappy with the game in its current state is pretty justified. I'm mostly hopeful that by Wakanda we'll have most of what was promised for release by the end of last year, which is definitely depressing to think about but in the meantime I still think it has some good parts to it so I want to see it do better. For better or worse this is the Avengers game we got so if it can pull up and eventually be a decent game, I'm down for that.

I'm also worried about people jumping back into the game right now. It's definitely better but it's by no means fixed. Newer exotics are more interesting, but gear is still horrible. The endgame is still garbage. The 2 new characters play well, and the ~3-4 hours of new story is decent enough (though maybe not great either, not quite on the level of the main campaign imo, but not bad), but like, those are things the game didn't really do poorly to start with so they should be decent. Basically, things the game did poorly at launch are still...done poorly. They've acknowledged all the issues and have even brought them back up like "hey we haven't forgotten this, but we're still working on it." Which is good to hear, but I think even the people who are really into the game are tired of hearing it. Oh yeah, their communication strategy is also terrible, but I'm not sure how much of that is SE, CD, or Disney.

I enjoy the game when I do play it maybe once every few weeks for a few hours, but yeah even I get annoyed by the lack of perceived progress on the "big" issues.