As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Summer Sale: Don't look here, look over there!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I thought I was done with Knights of Pen & Paper but then knockoff Gonzo and Rizzo came to visit and now I don't know what's going on.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh so this is where the thread was. Blue ribbon go.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I feel like I should feel more excited for the Mass Effect remaster. I loved 1 2 and most of 3, felt really let down by the original ending of ME3. I have all 3 CEs for xbox, but idunno. Just not super hyped for it y'know? Been watching Berylline stream it, and makes me kinda want to replay, but also just... meh.

I gotta get it. Haven't played it since the year 3 launched. But also unsure if I'll be burnt out on it, even now.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    I feel like I should feel more excited for the Mass Effect remaster. I loved 1 2 and most of 3, felt really let down by the original ending of ME3. I have all 3 CEs for xbox, but idunno. Just not super hyped for it y'know? Been watching Berylline stream it, and makes me kinda want to replay, but also just... meh.

I for one am excited by it! That's because I haven't played 3, or any of the DLC for 2! I plan on getting it at some point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    No fear in this Dojo.

So whats coming up in the next few months that people are looking forward to? Outriders at the end of this month, but most of my super looking forward to games are on the switch atm.

Evil Genius 2

I'm liking more of what I see in videos the devs release. Not seeing a life count when they were showing henchmen suggests they got rid of one of my annoyances with the original.

The original was such a weird game. I remember two of the best strategies were A.) just have a giant fucking empty warehouse filled with doors on the opposite side of your island because agents would quite literally trap themselves inside it forever and it was full of doors, so it fucking HAD to be something worth checking out, and B.) Just a fucking nonstop army of valets and bellhops constantly swarming every agent that got anywhere near anything.

You were supposed to build these complicated Rube Goldberg traps, but even the most basic ones never worked, and you didn't want them near anything important or where there was foot traffic anyway, so all they were good for was empty hallways.

Part of the issue with traps was that you didn't get good components for lethal traps for quite some time. You basically had to know what kinds of space you'd need ahead of time to fit anything remotely complex. And if you didn't use the trick of building freezer rooms to house your lethal traps, you'd have all the issues that could come from minions wandering around your traps as they tried to collect the body bags.

That said, I am fond of the trap I had on the second island base. I had a short hallway freezer right at my base entrance next to the door that led further into the base. The trapped route had a high security door to both keep minions out and tempt agents more than my actual base. Once agents stepped inside, a laser sensor (and later motion sensor) triggered fan traps to blow them into the wider room and into a row of tesla coil traps. The impact damage from the collision stunned them as the tesla coils charged up to shock them. The fans also blew them through another laser sensor that reactivated the fans to prevent escape as well as flamethrower traps on either side of them spaced just far enough to not burn each other while doubling the fire damage. Then a bunch of beehive traps would activate so the swarms could chase down any stragglers. They never got far because the only way out was through the laser sensors again. Also, a piranha trap opened up to block the door. It was effective and less clicking than tagging agents for social minions to weaken. Plus those agents eventually recovered and tried to make their way back inside. Usually into the trap room.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Lying liars laying traps in the thread title...

I love my new monitor. It's 27" and it's curved and it's 2k and it's 144mhz and I love it.

I use it with the computer @Pixelated Pixie and @SmokeStacks donated to me when they upgraded a while back.

Thanks again you guys, I love you!

You lying liars...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Is it safe yet?

• Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    It is never safe in the Steam thread. Ever.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    From the Doom thread
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Steam has Friend Codes too. I was surprised to find that out.

I just checked and holy crap, it does. In your friends list, click add a friend, you'll be taken to a page that shows your personal friend code, as well as the ability to generate a link you can email or message someone that will automatically add them to your friends list. Wild.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I never played 3. Didn't get it because of the negative buzz around it when it came out and then afterwards it just seemed like a pain to get back into. Don't really feel like I missed out on much, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

I never played 3. Didn't get it because of the negative buzz around it when it came out and then afterwards it just seemed like a pain to get back into. Don't really feel like I missed out on much, though.

3 is decent since it ties up several of the subplots that have been running through all the games. The ending was sort of meh though, so take that as you will.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    If 3 has it's multiplayer mode intact I might be in some trouble.

And if 1 let's me melt people with acid pistols and then explode the rest with my sniper rifle I could get stuck forever

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

3 is decent since it ties up several of the subplots that have been running through all the games. The ending was sort of meh though, so take that as you will.

I didn't feel like the patched (or was it free-DLC'd?) ending was too bad. That might've been because all the anger about the original ending had kept my expectations really, really low though.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Page 2 is where it's at. New thread smell still here.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

You did miss out. ME3 is great up until about the last thirty minutes or so. The extended cut ending definitely made the ending less egregious; and the last bit of content released, the Citadel DLC, even though it's not the last thing to happen chronologically in-universe, is a genuinely stunning send-off for the characters and the entire trilogy.

And if 1 let's me melt people with acid pistols and then explode the rest with my sniper rifle I could get stuck forever

3's multiplayer is unfortunately having to be left out of the remaster. Yes, that is a sadness.

1, on the other hand, should still have the ability to melt people with acid pistols and then explode the rest with your sniper rifle very much intact.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Feriluce wrote: »
    It is never safe in the Steam thread. Ever.

Sure it can be safe. If you know the secret.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I know I'm late to this discussion but in deus ex 1, the best solution to escape a certain event where you would trigger a fire fight was to build a massive tower of Babel of cardboard boxes, trigger the event, and leap to safety
    safety being two broken legs while gunfire rains from above, but you were alive.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Allow @HiT BiT 's glorious Lola edits to bless this thread.

BC1F5A1FEE9FC222601A32C19C3462396A9EC7AA

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I saw people mention what you were looking forward to.

I was looking forward to GG Strive and the possibility of FF7R coming to pc when the 1 year mark hit which should end exclusivity. Now FF7R did this whole DLC and PS5 thing and Strive was moved up, so nothing left for me to look forward to >_<

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Games Im looking forward too:

Chicory was upgraded to "spring" release so Im excited about that.

Beacon Pines is scheduled to drop this year and Ive been thinking a lot about it since the demo festival. Their Kickstarter campaign was successful so im slightly anticipating a delay while they work on the stretch goals. Anyway Im looking for games that capture the feel of this if anyone has an recommendations.

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut is out at the end of this month and Im going to do my HARRRRDCOOOORE playthrough with it. Looking forward to meeting new characters and making different choices.

Dorfromantic is out next week and Im down to clown. Ive already put 9 hours into the demo since they had a high score contest during February, so expect me to bang on this drum for awhile.

Im most interested in "Choices Matter" and "Exploration" tags.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dorfromantic? It surprises me, but I suppose there's plenty of room for a game made about a Tim Conway character.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Unfortunately no MP in the remaster, but the original is still up and kicking.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Games Im looking forward too:
    Dorfromantic is out next week and Im down to clown. Ive already put 9 hours into the demo since they had a high score contest during February, so expect me to bang on this drum for awhile.

I almost forgot about this one! I hit a bunch of demos so I don't have that much time, but I really enjoyed it, definitely plan on picking it up!

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

This is an absolute outrage. I'm not often excited about a game for it's additional multiplayer mode but damn it they did it so well

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

This is an absolute outrage. I'm not often excited about a game for it's additional multiplayer mode but damn it they did it so well

Aside from lootbox unlocks, anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Could you pay real money for them? I remember opening some but I don't remember buying any with Xbox points.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    My first indication that Mass Effect as a series was possibly broken beyond repair was finding out where the MP enemies came from.
    I was avoiding playing the game until I could dig in and devote time to it. (I finally played it maybe three years later. Somehow managing to avoid spoilers all the while. I guess people were so upset at the ending they couldn't actually talk about it...)

But, I was watching a friend play MP and asked what the enemies were. Finding out they were Reaper corruptions of various races and I started thinking about how poorly BioWare had been handling things.

First, that it appeared that they just recycled the darkspawn from DAO and being dissatisfied with that game it wasn't helping.

Second, was finding out the Reapers, once again, had essential control of man-sized creatures making further mockery of the story in the first game. It already annoyed me that they did it in ME2. And doing it again felt cheap and hacky.

Eventually playing the game merely confirmed it and the stories about how the people in charge changed hands and many of the design and writing choices where twisted or abandoned has never settle right with me.

I played without DLC to experience the original ending. Didn't care for it, but I didn't suddenly feel EA was the worst company ever for releasing it. The 'director's cut' was marginally better, but you can't really polish a turd.

The opening and closing segments were terrible. The logic behind the Reapers actions was weak and combined with the ending boss fight in ME2 again made a mockery of the first game.

I wasn't as disappointed as Hollywood star Rich Evans was, but it was palpable.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Speaking of looking forward to games, and the subject of Mass Effect...

I have scheduled 10 days off work beginning the day the Mass Effect remaster releases. I am SO READY! <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    My first indication that Mass Effect as a series was possibly broken beyond repair was finding out where the MP enemies came from.
    I was avoiding playing the game until I could dig in and devote time to it. (I finally played it maybe three years later. Somehow managing to avoid spoilers all the while. I guess people were so upset at the ending they couldn't actually talk about it...)

But, I was watching a friend play MP and asked what the enemies were. Finding out they were Reaper corruptions of various races and I started thinking about how poorly BioWare had been handling things.

First, that it appeared that they just recycled the darkspawn from DAO and being dissatisfied with that game it wasn't helping.

Second, was finding out the Reapers, once again, had essential control of man-sized creatures making further mockery of the story in the first game. It already annoyed me that they did it in ME2. And doing it again felt cheap and hacky.

Eventually playing the game merely confirmed it and the stories about how the people in charge changed hands and many of the design and writing choices where twisted or abandoned has never settle right with me.

I played without DLC to experience the original ending. Didn't care for it, but I didn't suddenly feel EA was the worst company ever for releasing it. The 'director's cut' was marginally better, but you can't really polish a turd.

The opening and closing segments were terrible. The logic behind the Reapers actions was weak and combined with the ending boss fight in ME2 again made a mockery of the first game.

I wasn't as disappointed as Hollywood star Rich Evans was, but it was palpable.

In complete fairness to Mass Effect...
    Reaper corruptions of one particular race is, I believe, the second enemy type you run across in the very first Mass Effect. First there're some flying drones that take down the redshirt, and then you're fighting Husks - which are the Reaper corruptions of humans.

So they were there all along, established in the first game's prologue.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Commander Newell. The time has come. Execute order gifty-gift.

Yes my lord.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I've been blooned!

gMq8Qt0.png

THanks @MNC Dover

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover decided to strike! Thank you for Annalynn this game looks very oldschool, i wanted to give it a shot. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Is no one safe?!?

This came crashing through my window and now I'll have to play to replace the glass!
    Thank you @MNC Dover !!!

pa4hp07o9dpm.png

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I too am a victim of @MNC Dover 's resign of gifting terror.
    2lydmnudv92y.png

Thank you <3

vamen on
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Commander Newell. The time has come. Execute order gifty-gift.

Yes my lord.

oe5jsk597fhi.jpg

It's a wholesale slaughter.

Thanks for Make the Burger, @MNC Dover ! <3

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    ME3’s last 30 minutes do indeed drop the ball, from a storytelling perspective. But the gameplay is over at that point. So I have no problem mentally pausing the recording for a good chunk of that half-hour. Allowing my canonical ending to stand.

As for (I don’t think this needs spoilers) the series big bads commanding foot soldiers, this was also the case in Fred Saberhagen’s Berzerker series that appears to have heavily influenced Mass Effect. It makes even more sense here, in games that were never meant as boss rushes against oversized war machines. Even other titles, for which that would be a fairly apt description, generally include grunts, in a sort of Fiddle Faddle blend of popcorn enemies and tough nuts to crack.

Now, if I were writing this as a series of sci-fi novels, as opposed to video games, I would probably
    lean into a kind of PKD paranoia theme of, who is really indoctrinated, here? And start to blur the lines so the protagonists have to question whether they are, once again, developing along the path the Reapers prepared for them.

And perhaps lead them to question whether Cerberus, in spite of their xenophobic ends and deeply immoral means, may be the one faction actively resisting the Reapers, while the Alliance and Council simply follow the stage directions given them in this unfolding drama.

But a videogame would probably have to answer those questions in the negative, in ways the players would see coming a mile away. For the sake of player agency. This is definitely an art form, but there are edges to the canvas.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Any indication what this means for that readiness gauge thing? It's not as big a deal post-DLC as it was at launch, but still I remember things like not getting both the Geth and Quarrians was crippling if you weren't using MP to keep your points up.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Hevach wrote: »

Any indication what this means for that readiness gauge thing? It's not as big a deal post-DLC as it was at launch, but still I remember things like not getting both the Geth and Quarrians was crippling if you weren't using MP to keep your points up.

It's being rebalanced to take it into account.

A great deal (but not all) of getting the "best" result in the geth/quarian conflict is in groundwork you lay in ME2.

Jazz on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I feel a great disturbance in the Steam. As if dozens of wishlists cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

This discussion has been closed.