As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[South Park]? They still make that?

• RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Were ya'll expecting Matt and Trey to grow up to be deep thinkers let alone liberals?

If there's one thing I've learned watching South Park all these long years is to never, ever base your own personal politics around the show creators' own shitty faux libertarian brand of absurdist nihilistic humor.

I watch it to laugh at its ridiculousness, not to get deep seated philosophy or anything approaching critical think pieces regarding political science. People who do quote giant douche or turd sandwich at me during actual presidential elections just lead me believe that they're paying fuck all attention to the actual candidates and their policies.

Matt and Trey are multi-millionaires who have little in common with the average joe these days to the point where they're insulated from any normal day-to-day effect of said policies (outside of Trump's tax cuts for the wealthy, I guess). I always keep this in mind when watching the show.

That being said, I can appreciate them poking fun at themselves this episode as being part of the Hollywood liberal elite cabal of cannibal pedophiles that are secretly controlling America. The part at the end where they turned Mr. White into a literal giant dick was funny as hell, and so was the Q-commercial montage (complete with accompanying scary music) of elites like Hillary and Obama engaging in kid cannibalism.

I was sad that they killed off Ms. Nelson for some odd reason. Not that she had much of a personality or was even a funny or memorable character or even had much screen time. She was downright normal and boring, and wasn't even used for easy lowbrow racist humor (to my surprise, just lowbrow misogynist humor via Cartman). Yeah, I realize with Mr. Garrison returning they had to find some way to get rid of Ms. Nelson and return to the status quo.

Anyway, long rambling critique summed up for this episode is, it wasn't anything great but it had some decent laugh aloud moments here and there. It seemed kinda obvious that M&T don't quite have that drive or spark they once did for SP and I wonder if they should keep making new episodes moving forward.

Raiju on
  • gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    I don't know if its good or bad that Mr.G was Trump, over having Trump character being themself.
    I feel it was needed because who wants Trump to have more airtime, Mr.G at least makes it tolerable.

Look, M&T have always turned out a brand new episode in like a week right? {sometimes even faster}

Now that they only work on the script/voices to make (down to) 10 episodes a year, they don't have to work as much as they once did, year over year.

I'm sure M&T can continue to make great SP stuff, even if they are not motivated to make the tv show as much.
    As I still find good parts/episodes in every years showing.

I'm glad they made the 2 recent SP games. [I'm fan of the Stick of Truth over FBW by a huge margin]
    If they made a 3rd SP game [similar to TSoT/FBW] that had every known south park residence/building/business in a giant realized SP, I could be very very happy. [possibly even have it semi/mostly openworld... I just want to explore the lore and interact with the characters].

Yeah, my wife and I really enjoyed Stick of Truth. Hilarious game with surprisingly fun play mechanics. FBW wasn't as funny/good nor nearly as polished. It felt very rushed to us. Had they given the game one more year to iron out the mechanics, jokes, and story, it probably would've been on par with SoT, we think.

• gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    Yeah, my wife and I really enjoyed Stick of Truth. Hilarious game with surprisingly fun play mechanics. FBW wasn't as funny/good nor nearly as polished. It felt very rushed to us. Had they given the game one more year to iron out the mechanics, jokes, and story, it probably would've been on par with SoT, we think.
    Did you get the highest $ tier Rhinoplasty? Pretty dang funny.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    gBAZ wrote: »
    I don't know if its good or bad that Mr.G was Trump, over having Trump character being themself.
    I feel it was needed because who wants Trump to have more airtime, Mr.G at least makes it tolerable.

Look, M&T have always turned out a brand new episode in like a week right? {sometimes even faster}

Now that they only work on the script/voices to make (down to) 10 episodes a year, they don't have to work as much as they once did, year over year.

I'm sure M&T can continue to make great SP stuff, even if they are not motivated to make the tv show as much.
    As I still find good parts/episodes in every years showing.

I'm glad they made the 2 recent SP games. [I'm fan of the Stick of Truth over FBW by a huge margin]
    If they made a 3rd SP game [similar to TSoT/FBW] that had every known south park residence/building/business in a giant realized SP, I could be very very happy. [possibly even have it semi/mostly openworld... I just want to explore the lore and interact with the characters].

They had the real Trump. Garrison fucked him to death.

edited November 2021
    South Park Post Covid is out. Not finished it yet, it's not been that funny so far tbh most of the novelty is in seeing the grown up versions of characters. Although in the community center meeting I'd swear that is Strong Woman's model but she hasn't aged at all. The Goths have mellowed though.

EDIT: Oh shit met old Cartman, it got funny.

FUck I wish they'd stop with Alexa jokes though, them constantly activating my Alexa isn't funny it's irritating.

AlphaRomero on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know they were doing another special. Saw zero advertising (though admittedly, I don't really watch TV anymore, just Youtube/Streaming).

This is one of those like 217 movies they agreed to do when they resigned their contract. I've finished it and it's not a one-off as it has a cliffhanger ending, so hopefully won't be too long until the next one. It's pretty sad seeing the kids all grown up tbh but I love the twist ending.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I didn't even know they were doing another special. Saw zero advertising (though admittedly, I don't really watch TV anymore, just Youtube/Streaming).

I only found out about it yesterday as it was mixed into youtube's front page after scrolling down a bit. Web advertising has been hit or miss since it tries to cater to your interests, I find that I'm not getting ads for movies all the time like you would watching tv. Unless you watch a lot of movie related youtube videos you just don't get exposed anymore. Also with COVID release schedules have been weird.

Like I should not be finding out about Wheel of Time because my amazon parcel's box is an add all printed up with it.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The running gag with Jimmy's brand of future comedy was actually really funny.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The South Park appreciation hasn't been hilarious but I'll say that it's def been intriguing.

I appreciate them doing something different.

edited December 2021
    FYI "SOUTH PARK: POST COVID: THE RETURN OF COVID" is out December 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMsbqO3O9ck

Can't wait for
    Rabbi Cartman to meet Cartman.

AlphaRomero on
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular

Can't wait for

Just reuse the dialog:
    Cartman: You're just doing all this to fuck with Kyle, right?
    Rabbi Cartman: Do you really think we would spend 40 years of our life just to fuck with Kyle?
    Cartman: Yes!

Bremen wrote: »

Can't wait for

Just reuse the dialog:
    Cartman: You're just doing all this to fuck with Kyle, right?
    Rabbi Cartman: Do you really think we would spend 40 years of our life just to fuck with Kyle?
    Cartman: Yes!
    It's funny either way. Either he's genuine and Kyle's fucking himself over, or Cartman really did get married and have kids just to fuck with Kyle and will abandon them the second he gets what he wants.

Stop trolling my fucking Alexa guys. Honestly I can't rewatch these episodes because I'm constantly stopping my Alexa buying things or navigating me places.

Ok so the two parts of this special, overall, were shit. I don't know how these guys made Book of Mormon and Bigger, Longer, Uncut, plus the two video games, but they've had a lot of screentime to work with here and this was overall a failure.
    Rehashing the same jokes over and over, the Alexa stuff. Butters being behind hte advent of NFTs and causing a lot of havoc was a great swerve, but the future presented is so dour and there is so much setup to it all being erased that it seems pointless. The joke seems to be that Cartman was legitimately a good person and loved his family, and by having faith that God would protect his family he ends up a homeless drug addict and his family is gone, but Kyle who was a dick throughout, gets kids. And Weed. Weed. Weed. The guys must have invested in weed because it's just hte same joke over and over.

There were some good moments but brief compared to the overall length and that's the problem because when they're on, they're doing Tooth Fairy Tats or Scott Tenorman, and when they're not, they're dragging a story out over 2 hours that isn't good enough for 20 minutes.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The bastards!
    They finally give Cartman the awful shitty fate I always hoped he'd get, but only after they made him reformed and sympathetic!

H9f4bVe.png
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Wow. That was a DIRTY way to do him.
    Ok so the two parts of this special, overall, were shit. I don't know how these guys made Book of Mormon and Bigger, Longer, Uncut, plus the two video games, but they've had a lot of screentime to work with here and this was overall a failure.
    Rehashing the same jokes over and over, the Alexa stuff. Butters being behind hte advent of NFTs and causing a lot of havoc was a great swerve, but the future presented is so dour and there is so much setup to it all being erased that it seems pointless. The joke seems to be that Cartman was legitimately a good person and loved his family, and by having faith that God would protect his family he ends up a homeless drug addict and his family is gone, but Kyle who was a dick throughout, gets kids. And Weed. Weed. Weed. The guys must have invested in weed because it's just hte same joke over and over.

There were some good moments but brief compared to the overall length and that's the problem because when they're on, they're doing Tooth Fairy Tats or Scott Tenorman, and when they're not, they're dragging a story out over 2 hours that isn't good enough for 20 minutes.

I thought the first one was definitely better than the second, but I mostly was into the second to see just how they were going to wrap this all up. SP still remains a "message of the moment" TV show and the specials were really no different.

. . .that said, the other two specials were MUCH better than these, even though Matt and Trey are basically tossing shit against a wall in both.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    So the nihilists continue to just be nihilistic?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What are the chances this new thing makes its way to HBO MAX in the future?

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

I think the joke is that Cartman only becomes a good person because him and Kyle drifted apart. Kyle is what makes Cartman bad, which Cartman's wife points out when he is punching Kyle in the church. So if they change the past and remain friends, Cartman never becomes good person and gets the bad ending.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What are the chances this new thing makes its way to HBO MAX in the future?

Never since its owned by Viacom

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Something must be up with Trey's voice, Randy and Stan sound off.

Also we finally get to learn about the biggest South Park mystery remaining. Token's true name.

This was a much funnier episode than last week's. The gaslighting on display surrounding Token's name, *chef's kiss*

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Is the season going to end where Token makes his name Tokin' instead? I thought that's how they were going to go with Credigree.

Stand and Randy did sound off, and I still fucking hate Randy being prominent still and stupid Tegridy. If you don't care anymore just stop making the stuff, bros.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I kinda wish they'd just stuck with the( Bad) future in Post Covid. It changed the dynamics in a fun way and they clearly want to write about adults.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    We're (missus and I) definitely sick of Tegridy Weed and hope Randy loses the farm to Credigree and the Marshes are forced to sell the business and move back into South Park proper but we have a feeling Matt and Trey are going to double down on Randy's shenanigans and feature an episodes-long war between Tegridy and Credigree.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the season arc.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I been rewatching South Park since I got HBO Max, and I was really surprised to realize that there's a few episodes removed from it, including Cartoon Wars.

Kyougu wrote: »
    I been rewatching South Park since I got HBO Max, and I was really surprised to realize that there's a few episodes removed from it, including Cartoon Wars.

Yeah, anything with Muhammad is banned now.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Yeah, anything with Muhammad is banned now.

Except the opening of a few episodes where you can still see him in the background.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    That was a fun episode. I was surprised that they basically left the Randy stuff on a cliffhanger but I'll take it for a Cartman tale. Probably not quite as high level as most of his schemes but it was funny and the ending got me. I assume that will remain canon going forward.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    That was a really good episode compared to the first episodes of the season. The property hype videos and the Agent back arch/lean posture had me laughing pretty hard.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    As usual, here's the "insightful commentary" on recent events:
    https://youtu.be/jcJl9MAu95I

Though is not exactly innacurate, given, well.

The new ep with the teens was decent and I liked the song at the end.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The airsoft episode was completely generic in premise but done well. Not as good as the King of the Hill paintball episode decades ago (.....it's been too long) but it's always fun when all the kids are on the same page. And Randy wasn't annoying as fuck.

The St. Patrick's Day episode was pretty decent. Poor Butters. He continues to be Matt and Trey's punching bag and I'm all here for it. Gotta admire his pluckiness as he just keeps getting up and dusting himself off for more. Randy continues to be an asshole that everyone hates but St. Patty himself gives him a run for his money.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Hey, did y'all know South Park is back? Apparently! The two new episodes were not amazing but they did feel more like "classic" South Park - single-episode storylines, focus on the kids, no Tegridy stuff, and both episodes end with a Kyle monologue overly explaining the message.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Hey, did y'all know South Park is back? Apparently! The two new episodes were not amazing but they did feel more like "classic" South Park - single-episode storylines, focus on the kids, no Tegridy stuff, and both episodes end with a Kyle monologue overly explaining the message.

I thought the twist end was fun but the chanting not. Also as soon as I saw it focused on Cartman I really didnt want the other character to show up, and it got even worse.

steam_sig.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I have to say I chuckled more than I have at South Park in awhile to the rubbing of things on a window lol