As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    In retrospect pickler triangles are a trick to get you to teach your toddler how to climb things.

Try this one weird trick for $350! :?

Build your own. They’re not that difficult

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So Athena is enrolled in preschool, and we went to the pulmonologist the other day.we noticed that after physical activity she will stop to cough, so we wanted to make sure we got ahead of asthma or anything.

Of course, the doctor says everything seems fine, they're just waiting for the X-ray to come back, and he wonders if maybe she's just mimicking (my mom tends to cough, and her aunt that watches her sometimes has a smoker's cough)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I ordered a folder for Little King to put his drawings in that he makes during his lunch breaks. I like to think he enjoys art, so I guess I try to encourage him.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    In retrospect pickler triangles are a trick to get you to teach your toddler how to climb things.

I'm sorry, is this an attempt to shame me for spending money on kid's toys because that's what it reads as. Hopefully it's just me being a crank today and misreading tone.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

I'm sorry, is this an attempt to shame me for spending money on kid's toys because that's what it reads as. Hopefully it's just me being a crank today and misreading tone.

I bought one! Sorry for the tone coming off as insulting. But I certainly felt like they were quite pricey for what they are, but I did it early in COVID and just needed something as a distraction.

I certainly would have liked to build my own, but I have zero woodworking skills, tools, etc.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I had no idea what a pikler triangle was and I was deeply confused by this entire conversation, and now I googled what they are and I'm a little mad they didn't exist or I didn't know about them when my kids were a lot smaller because they would have loved one.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The last thing we built for our little one was a learning tower for the kitchen on a IKEA base and I was pretty optimistic after building a wooden play bar which turned out nice.
    Either we misordered or got sent the wrong wood but what we got was oak I think and god fuck working with hardwood. The end result looks pretty embarrassing but at least it will take some punishment without showing it.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

I bought one! Sorry for the tone coming off as insulting. But I certainly felt like they were quite pricey for what they are, but I did it early in COVID and just needed something as a distraction.

I certainly would have liked to build my own, but I have zero woodworking skills, tools, etc.

No worries, sorry I cranked at you. And yeah, I would never be confident enough in something I built to allow children to climb on it so we got one made for us. Little Robe seems to enjoy it a lot and has thankfully never completely beefed it off the top yet.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Watching some kid videos on youtube casted to my TV before nap time and a commercial come on.

1. Wtf is this bullshit? I've never had commercials come up when casting before.
    2. Holy shit dinosaur Nerf guns?!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie had a dream about Donuts last night.

So of course she woke up wanting a donut.

Cue thirty minutes of meltdown because mommy said no to daddy going out in the morning and buy her a donut for breakfast.

I haven't had to wrestle dress a five year old before.

Wasn't fun.

But she did tell me that I was dumb and she's going to throw me into the river.

But then, once she was dressed, she came out and sat herself on the steps to calm herself down. And once she got some breakfast in her, she was fine.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That's extremely not cool and I'm glad you handled it well but the sooner she resists the urge to throw someone in a river every time she's denied a donut the better, I still struggle with it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    She was going to drag me to the river and throw me in and we were never going to the mall ever again and we're never doing swim lessons every again and I'm just the meanest person.

But

She resisted the instinct to smack me, so I'm calling it a win.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    We'll according to son I'm the meanest dad in the world times 100 so you've got some work to do.
    #winning

• Options
    As far as Ellie is concerned the biggest number on any scale is Sixteen.

If something is important, it's Sixteen important.

• Options
    She was going to drag me to the river and throw me in and we were never going to the mall ever again and we're never doing swim lessons every again and I'm just the meanest person.

But

I tried to get it on camera the other day, but whenever she's upset at me (usually for picking her up from daycare or her grandma's) I'll tell her I love her in the car and she'll say "No! I love mama. I love mama, and grandma, and (lists every relative). I don't love you. I make you upset, I make you cry." and then I have to try not to laugh

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

But

I tried to get it on camera the other day, but whenever she's upset at me (usually for picking her up from daycare or her grandma's) I'll tell her I love her in the car and she'll say "No! I love mama. I love mama, and grandma, and (lists every relative). I don't love you. I make you upset, I make you cry." and then I have to try not to laugh

I get so happy reading all these stories and knowing we're not alone.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I would pay top dollar for a bathtub with a secondary basin underneath it and manually retractable drains on the sides. You’d flip a switch and the side drains would open, instantly draining all the water into the lower basin which is attached to the drain.

That would get the kids out of the tub a hell of a lot faster.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Man, I would pay top dollar for a bathtub with a secondary basin underneath it and manually retractable drains on the sides. You’d flip a switch and the side drains would open, instantly draining all the water into the lower basin which is attached to the drain.

That would get the kids out of the tub a hell of a lot faster.

The way I get Toby out of the tub is ask if he's done and wants to get out. He has issues with listening, or rather with hearing and then obeying if told "not to" or "to do" something, but he wants to be done with the tub and then he's done and he's tired and wants to go to sleep and he'll just . . . go to sleep.

This sounds probably more ideal than it is, because it means he also has "plans" for how things should work, and is not receptive to his plans being changed.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My husband takes the "I don't love you, I only love Mama" thing to heart, and gets sad. I dread the teen years.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Teen years, yeah. I'm in the stage now where if my daughter is sad she refuses hugs. Which is fine, actually. I'm glad she feels safe and confident enough in her body autonomy to refuse unwanted hugs. But on the same token I'm sad because my girl is growing up and I can't use the easy methods of comfort that worked when she was younger.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I've convinced myself Little Man is gonna hit puberty early, which I am absolutely dreading. He already does the "I don't want to talk about it!" thing sometimes. I was a bitter, moody little shit of a teenager, and the thought of my sweet little boy morphing into that is just *shiver*

• Options
    I'm just getting flashes of the future of sleep overs and things.

Every morning is a new parent coming up to me "oh are you Ellie's mum? We know her from X"

This morning it was swimming. I don't recognize these people. But sure.

Everybody seems to know my child. My house is never going to be quiet ever again.

Also I think I'm going face blind.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    My husband takes the "I don't love you, I only love Mama" thing to heart, and gets sad. I dread the teen years.

My eldest (lets just call him 5 since he will be in two months) was doing this to me a lot a few months. It fucking sucked. However, I think it might have been to do with my wife being pregnant and then the new baby arriving. Now that the baby is here and he loves him, he's stopped doing it.

We did have some serious talks about how that kind of talk is not cool.

Also, I just realized I'll be over 60 by the time the baby is 18. God damn.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Ellie quite often tells me that I'm only her best friend in certain days.

Thomas is get best friend during the week, daddy is her best friend in weekends. I'm only her best friend in that super small window on Saturday when we're swimming together.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    k0v4uhbobuu6.jpeg
    Easter photos are in

She asked for and received a kiss from the baby chick

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Both my children tell my wife they love her more than me. Also, they’re her super best best friend.

Occasionally, I got regular love and friendship, even though I take care of them 90% of the time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My Dad wasn't really involved in my childhood, well or adulthood either, really. I've worked a lot on telling my kids I love them every day and playing with them all the time and I still get told that I'm not their favorite similar to people around here.

I'm beginning to suspect that maybe my Dad just figured I didn't like him because I said shit like that to him when I was a kid.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Mom is, 9 times out of 10, the favorite around here. This is, like many things, not communicated in words, because he says maybe 10 words with any regularity and 30 on a rather verbose day.

No, this is communicated by always picking mom's lap if there are both laps to choose from, mom to play with if both parents are available, mom to watch shows with if both parents are available. For getting food, for changing, for any possible activity under the sun, he'd prefer mom.

Mostly.

There are very few things he sort of just expects he and I will do together, and a huge one is sleep time; he has to have dad snuggles to get to sleep (mainly because this is always how it's been, I suspect). Mom snuggles are for fun times, dad snuggles are for sleep time, all the time. So much that if he's tired and it's not sleep time, he'll snuggle up next to me instead of mom on the couch and go to sleep.

Bow to me tiny human, for I am your Morpheus and your Hypnos. :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My Dad wasn't really involved in my childhood, well or adulthood either, really. I've worked a lot on telling my kids I love them every day and playing with them all the time and I still get told that I'm not their favorite similar to people around here.

I'm beginning to suspect that maybe my Dad just figured I didn't like him because I said shit like that to him when I was a kid.

Nah man, your dad was an adult as much as you are now and children have always said stupid shit to their parents. If he ignored you then that was 100% on him and had nothing to do with whatever crap you may or may not have said as a little kid.

• Options
    There's no feeling quite like being stuck on the toilet while hearing your kid getting into things in the other room

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    There's no feeling quite like being stuck on the toilet while hearing your kid getting into things in the other room

That isn't nearly as bad as when the kid is silent.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular

Usually that sound is the bathroom door opening

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    We are teaching the concept of privacy, and yesterday she was in the bathroom and told me to not come in because she is naked and I’ll see her “baby boobies”.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Guys guys.... Waffles+Mochi on Netflix is a delight! As much fun as Storybots and kids will learn a lot about food. Go watch it.

• Options
    I like Storybots more than my daughter does..

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Storybots is fantastic, yeah.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Bean did his mum a big hit this morning. Just reeled back and full on smacked her.in the side of the head.

So TV went off and we're sitting.on the couch denying him all his comforts until he says sorry.

He knows sorry, he knows what it means, but he's never said things when people tell him to. He's just sitting here wailing, begging for anything, but we're holding firm.

"All you have to do is say "Sorry mummy" and you can have your toys"

But he just wails and weeps. He might hold out until naptime, but we're not backing down.

• Options
    Stay strong, pipe.

It's a struggle, to be sure.

Ellie has done that often, though usually because she said mean words (called ecco stupid because he was in the toilet and not catering to get every need instantly). Usually after about thirty minutes of screaming, she and I can chat quietly about why what she did was wrong. And she will calm down. But getting that "sorry" out is still a very tough struggle even after. It usually takes about an hour from the infraction.

On the flip side, school drop off this morning went great! I got a high, and a kiss, and an "I love you too". And no tears! Four weeks! But I think this might actually become easy!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So we didn't really get resolution. After literally two hours of the three of us sitting in the living room with him screaming and us just sitting there he suddenly said he had to use the potty

which... like... that's great buddy but it's not the skill we're working on right now. But regardless we can't send mixed messages so he sat on the potty and after a few minutes he peed! So again, no mixed messages, he got a dumdum.

And after that, he was happy!

And get this, while sitting on the couch, reveling in his dumdum, looking at us and saying "MMM DELICIOUS CANDY", he pulled the dumdum out of his mouth and off the cuff, kind of under his breath, looking across the room at nothing said "I'm sorry" with a smile

and his mum and I looked at each other like "did he just?". And we tried to get him to say it TO his mum, but he ignored us. And soon enough it was time for his nap, so we did our usual nap routine, but sent him to bed without his pacifier (which is the thing he was #1 most upset we were denying him). And after the door was closed and the light was turned out he started asking for it, and once more we told him he could have it if he said sorry.

Anyways long story short 90 minutes later he fell asleep.

• Options
    First bump image, mate.

It gets better. And worse. I mean

It gets different.

Hang in there. How's her head doing?