As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Hemetic Order is just so damn sad. They need to let you build tile improvements over leylines, get the great person scaling from the start, some kind of special unit that creates ley lines, and maybe a new building because god damn.

Every time I'm like "this will be the game I give it an honest go!", save, and then despair as I reload.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hermetic order leylines should give a massive boost to Groves and/or let you build groves on them.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Leylines are like geothermal fissures, the trick is that you settle on top of them. The problem is that apparently they don't always spawn in clusters like my first two games with them, where I got to settle three cities around a cluster and get like 10 districts anywhere from +2 to +6 for free.

Also building over them invalidates the last upgrade which is really strong, but if you settle on them you still get that output.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I might have to turn off cultural victory if I keep monopolies on. Won on turn 190 with Mali on Emperor without really trying for it. I don't think I have won another kind of victory with that mode enabled.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    on the other hand, actually winning the videogame is the boring part of civ so I welcome hastening the process

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I realize this thread is about to die, but

Coming from civ 3, and pretty much exclusively playing on the easiest difficulty settings (I like to play long games that I'm gonna win); what are the pros and cons between Civ V and Civ VI?

Especially considering total cost of all available content is 3x as much for 6 vs 5, I'm leaning heavily toward 5, but I've seen gameplay of 6 and it looks fun, so

thoughts?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I think, in general, Civ 6 is a vastly more refined version of what Civ 5 started. Districts & Wonders taking up tiles goes a long way to really making cities feel well, like cities as well as adding a bunch of interesting and fun decision points to the game. The New Frontier DLC is basically an entire expansion at this point, albiet one focused more on "wacky" optional modes - but those modes are still a lot of fun and can really help spice stuff up, plus the new leaders are across the board cool and interesting.

Plus, Civ 6 is just way prettier artwise.

I'd say just hold off until there's a sale on the plat edition - it tends to go on some pretty deep discounts - heck, according to isthereanydeal, you can get it for 75% off right now.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

Coming from civ 3, and pretty much exclusively playing on the easiest difficulty settings (I like to play long games that I'm gonna win); what are the pros and cons between Civ V and Civ VI?

Especially considering total cost of all available content is 3x as much for 6 vs 5, I'm leaning heavily toward 5, but I've seen gameplay of 6 and it looks fun, so

thoughts?

I think, in general, Civ 6 is a vastly more refined version of what Civ 5 started. Districts & Wonders taking up tiles goes a long way to really making cities feel well, like cities as well as adding a bunch of interesting and fun decision points to the game. The New Frontier DLC is basically an entire expansion at this point, albiet one focused more on "wacky" optional modes - but those modes are still a lot of fun and can really help spice stuff up, plus the new leaders are across the board cool and interesting.

Plus, Civ 6 is just way prettier artwise.

I'd say just hold off until there's a sale on the plat edition - it tends to go on some pretty deep discounts - heck, according to isthereanydeal, you can get it for 75% off right now.

Okay yeah I just looked up a Civ V let's play ans wow yeah VI is way prettier.

Gonna download the demo and see how it feels

• Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

thoughts?

I've never played a Civ game before 6 and this is exactly what I find myself doing. I've certainly enjoyed it.
    I keep meaning to go up at least 1 difficulty but then the challenge can feel so different when you're Russia on a giant mountainless continent or India and you need to go conquer England before they cross a small ocean between you.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    Well apparently there's a HUGE update coming in like April so I think I'm just gonna sit on it and wait and see how that comes out. I don't wanna get into the swing of things with a Civ I like and start a game and then boom update and all of a sudden I suck again.

I did play the demo, it's fine. I feel like I'd like it a lot more at a lower diff (demo is at Warlord), but I managed alright, just slow going since you basically have to crap out warriors immediately to deal with the nearby barbarians, but it was fun enough.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The odd numbered civs are the experiments and the evens are the refinements. CIV is my favorite, followed by 6. I would never recommend 5.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    But 5 has Venice...

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    V got there with the expansions, i think. At first it was pretty rough but it got to be pretty great over time.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    5 is fun until you figure out there is essentially a set optimal formula for winning after which it loses a lot of the fun.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    5 is fun until you figure out there is essentially a set optimal formula for winning after which it loses a lot of the fun.

I mean that's true of all the Civs really.

And I love 5, still possibly more than 6 (largely b/c I hate districts). It was rough out of the gate (again, normal for Civ) but by the last xpac it was kicking ass.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    At this point six is basically just better than five; the civs are better, planning is more interesting, and expansion is better in six than the ‘tradition diamond’ you mostly use in five. Plus it’s prettier.

People evidently still like the pvp balance in five but I don’t play multi so I don’t care about that

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Base Civ 6 did blow hard, as I was reminded when I bought it for Switch on sale but the DLC was still full price. The expacs always do a TON of work.

At this point I kind of want to go back to Civ 5 just to simplify things, but that's after breaching 500 hours tinkering around with districts in 6.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Civ 5 is not really an empire builder and that makes me sad. Tall is dumb.

• Options
    Civ 5 is not really an empire builder and that makes me sad. Tall is dumb.

Find a mod that gives you pre-patch Maya, then

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Maya were by FAR the most fun to play in five.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've grown to appreciate wide empires. Especially where you get one city dedicate to making Settlers and the rest building themselves up. Once you get factories you can just pump put distracts, buildings, and units like crazy.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I felt like it was pretty annoying that in CIV 5, which was the most tall/small empire focused game, that they removed the ability from 4 to have civilizations surrender and become your vassal, and then they still didn’t bring it back in 6. Especially with the way warmonger penalties work. “We are going to penalize you for militarily taking and owning a bunch of cities, but also we are going to take away your option to have a decisive victory over an enemy civ without taking all their cities”.

Especially with how that could interact with some of the weaker victory types and make them stronger. Like what if becoming culturally dominant over a civ would auto-vassalize them, vassalized civs would count towards military victory, and vassalized civs would vote with you in diplomacy? That would add a lot of synergy between military, culture, and diplomacy that isn’t there right now. (I also think once you get 20 points in diplomacy it should require an up or down vote in the UN to actually get the victory, but it should be an “honest” vote, rather than your best friends voting to sandbag you like happens now).

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    The update today has me already thinking about what I want to do and try as Portugal.

I wonder about gifting a city I setup to someone so I can place Feitorias and then get it to rebel or take it by force so I can work those tiles myself.

Also, using Maui to add bonuses to the coastline so I can setup a perfect distribution of Feitorias with an allied civ, city-state, or player.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    So zombies are never ending barbarians that get stronger over the course of the game and sometimes spawn in the middle of nowhere to eat your traders the same turn they spawn. Also, if you are using Heroes and kill zombies with the Hero Twins, you do get a zombie unit but it doesn't spawn with full health for some reason, doesn't gain any xp, costs 1 gold maintenance, and doesn't let you eliminate the unit.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Vassals were a super quirky mechanic I doubt most players really got a grasp on. Add in the screwy corner cases like a vassal overtaking you towards a victory condition and you having no way to interfere, and they probably just didn't want to put in the design effort to fix the system when they could design new ones instead.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    In shocking news, Joao on Archipelago with Owls of Minerva is pretty good.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    What annoys me the most about the game's diplomacy is having no way to demand that other players end a war. It's particuarly annoying when one of your allies decides to take out a city state and you have no way to stop them other than by surrounding it with units.

• Options

Seems pretty trash in even a Fractal game, tbh.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Ok the new wonder on the new map is just dumb. I built it and went from 8 science to 24science in my 4 city empire. I stopped that game because it's immediately out of control.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Did you also get the marsh pantheon? Combined I think you get 3/3/2 marshes as a result and that's just outrageous on that map.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options

Seems pretty trash in even a Fractal game, tbh.

That said I did choose to mess around with Archipelago with them. Oh hey look it's Auckland. Lisbon has 200 hammers and 900 gold/turn.

• Options
    Game end Lisbon: 409 hammers, 1755 gold, 380 science, 300ish culture, 200 food. The trade route boost gets pretty nutty with Democracy and Globalization.

• Options
    Man Jao spends 100 turns or so just having kind of a nice domestic trade scene going on and nothing else to show for it but then suddenly cartography is done and it's time to get PAID.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    The Wetlands map is pretty silly. Especially if you try to optimize it with the new wonder and the right pantheon. With a couple chops, marshes (which there are a billion) are 3 food 3 hammers 2 science power house tiles.

Also be prepared to make so many dams.

• Options
    I turned on apocalypse mode and zombie mode...this was a mistake.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Zombie mode seems like it is going to widely fluctuate between being trivial and impossible at the higher levels.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Zombie mode seems like it is going to widely fluctuate between being trivial and impossible at the higher levels.

It's not hard, but it is super annoying.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I like the traps and walls and wish that was an option to keep without the zombies as they are just too RNG.

Also, one little pet peeve with Joao is that landlocked cities, even if they have a trade post with a domestic coastal city, cannot trade internationally. They are forever barred from the feitorial paradise that other cities get to enjoy.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I never tested it, but do land locked cities on a lake still count?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Most likely it checks if it can disembark into water from the starting city and then path it's way to the international city through the tradepost network.

c7tvrka9vtq3.jpg

Going to have to test out this situation, where city one is land locked but has this micro lake harbor and city 2 is bordering it (for fresh water) but has a harbor with maritime access. Would the trader be able to disembark in the harbor then happily embark at the city center, walk over to the harbor, disembark again and then go on its merry international way?

Edit:
    s6x0qmok8v36.jpg

Unfortunately that doesn't work.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif