As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The ‘Chains

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The ‘Chains

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Series when

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That's good-looking future pizza

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Heist story about stealing NFT. Love it.

• fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    You sons of a bitch I'm in.

• MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    One of the rage faces? Leek spinning girl?

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Ermahgerd!

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

I need to know a lot more about that pie

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Pizza Noodle lives up to its name.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • SonneillonSonneillon Registered User regular

Clearly it's just a pepperoni pizza with some hot sauces topped with ramen noodles, a fried egg and a mystery topping (Gyoza? Pork Belly? Onion?). It's notable that the sauce is a white sauce so my head cannon is that the sauce is reduced tonkotsu broth.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I want to know if that Chef-Cat is an intelligent living being that cooked their pizza for them, or if it's an animatronic mascot, and they are eating in what is essentially a Chuck E Cheese of the future?

• SonneillonSonneillon Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I want to know if that Chef-Cat is an intelligent living being that cooked their pizza for them, or if it's an animatronic mascot, and they are eating in what is essentially a Chuck E Cheese of the future?

He doesn't seem to move, I think he's a mascot... but its the future maybe he's like an android version of Chuck E Cheese that also cooks.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Sonneillon wrote: »

Clearly it's just a pepperoni pizza with some hot sauces topped with ramen noodles, a fried egg and a mystery topping (Gyoza? Pork Belly? Onion?). It's notable that the sauce is a white sauce so my head cannon is that the sauce is reduced tonkotsu broth.

"just"?!

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Pizza Noodle Cat is a mood.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • dave1974dave1974 Registered User new member
    So you can steal it?

You son of a bitch, I'm in.

• islingtonislington Registered User regular
    Countdown to PN Cat pin

• Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    It's like... post-cyberpunk-punk.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

And the 'flour' for the base is inevitably going to be dried, crushed and powdered crickets, or something equally dystopian...

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

He doesn't seem to move, I think he's a mascot... but its the future maybe he's like an android version of Chuck E Cheese that also fucks.
    Fixed. :P

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

He doesn't seem to move, I think he's a mascot... but its the future maybe he's like an android version of Chuck E Cheese that also cooks.

Given the setting, I'm going to say the cat is a wage-slave human waiter whose employers mandate genetic modification to make him look like their mascot.

Between the horrific cat-mutant, the plot to commit a cyber heist of a meme from the Time-That-Was, characters remarking about it being weird to meet up in meat space, and the colored sunglasses, I'm still going to say the most cyberpunk thing here is the ramen pizza.

Given the setting, I'm going to say the cat is a wage-slave human waiter whose employers mandate genetic modification to make him look like their mascot.

Between the horrific cat-mutant, the plot to commit a cyber heist of a meme from the Time-That-Was, characters remarking about it being weird to meet up in meat space, and the colored sunglasses, I'm still going to say the most cyberpunk thing here is the ramen pizza.

At the risk of getting too real, the most dystopian thing to me is that we've managed to invent resource scarcity in imaginary space...

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I really like the design of the girl, she's rad.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    islington wrote: »

At the risk of getting too real, the most dystopian thing to me is that we've managed to invent resource scarcity in imaginary space...

Well, pretend resource scarcity.

Phoenix-D on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There is so much goddamned world building in this one comic.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Also, guesses to which meme it is?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Or its just a cat statue? Like he doesn't move at all in the comic and they speak openly in front of it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Sweet, He-Man's cat is working at a pizza place now. ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Sweet, He-Man's cat is working at a pizza place now. ;)

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL....refill drinks at table four.

• tudzatudza Registered User new member
    I can still hear you saying you must never break the chain.

• il biggoil biggo Registered User regular
    I have NO IDEA of what they're talking about. Who, what, where, how-

edited March 2021
    il biggo wrote: »
    I have NO IDEA of what they're talking about. Who, what, where, how-

Google NFT art. Read Jerry's post. This is a new comic storyline/world set in the future.

dennis on
  • Mac_RMac_R Registered User new member
    It pains me to say that Penny Arcade is now biggest gateway I have to the stupidity of the world.

Also, I gotta ask, how far into the future are we talking? 80 years? Cause I could see that scene happening 10 years from now. Heck, I think I've seen that girl walking around my town last year.

edited March 2021
    Mac_R wrote: »
    It pains me to say that Penny Arcade is now biggest gateway I have to the stupidity of the world.

Also, I gotta ask, how far into the future are we talking? 80 years? Cause I could see that scene happening 10 years from now. Heck, I think I've seen that girl walking around my town last year.

At least... probably 20 years minimum? Long enough time for Elon Musk to have a daughter named Elytra (google Elytra Musk to learn how clever that name is). And that person has to have access to at least a trillion dollars in wealth to spend on art, something you probably wouldn't have full access to until you came of age. Somewhere in the range of 20-40 seems to make sense to me.

That is also more than enough time for a chain called Pizza Noodle to spring up, and, if I am understanding the dialog, probably fall out of favor? Or be cliche, old, or considered dumb by some people? That's the implication at least.

It also gives the economy time to proceed to the point where a single person can be worth over a trillion, and for this 'Ultranet' to be developed. I assume it's some sort of premium internet that is prohibitively expensive, that only the wealthy or those working on it have access to.

-edit-

I mean, this could also be several generations distant, or longer, but I suspect the world would be even more drastically different at that point.

MuddBudd on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Elytra Mosk is a completely fictional character and in no way relates to Elon Musk

clearly

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    I actually didn't even see that it said Mosk, and not Musk. My brain just corrected it.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah I only caught it on a reread

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I might unironically want to eat that pizza. Cyber-Gavin is a man of refinement and taste, going for that premium egg slice.

I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to eat the stuff in the middle, given the lack of cohesiveness of the toppings and the dearth of implements.

dennis wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to eat the stuff in the middle, given the lack of cohesiveness of the toppings and the dearth of implements.

You use the crust, after you finish the core you fold the crust like tongs and use them to pick up noodles and sop up the goose juice.

You use the crust, after you finish the core you fold the crust like tongs and use them to pick up noodles and sop up the goose juice.

That seems even worse than chopsticks (for non-proficient chopsticks users).

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular

That seems even worse than chopsticks (for non-proficient chopsticks users).

I have done this against salads, for want of a fork.

It's not ideal. The lack of rigidity being the main issue. Maybe if you let it go stale? But not only is that time consuming, then you probably wouldn't want to eat your implement at the end... at which point you may as well be using a common fork.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho