As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    disconnects for separating your power grid is so nice. they're gonna get a LOT of work alongside power storage

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    capacitors are weird simply because I have a hard time imagining a use-case for them once you get off coal power

I'm still gonna build at least thirty of them however

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    capacitors are weird simply because I have a hard time imagining a use-case for them once you get off coal power

I'm still gonna build at least thirty of them however

Geysers and the Particle Accellerator have inconsitent power generation/draw, so these will help with that.

Anywho, I hit my first bug right away. Even though the recipe is no longer valid, my Radio Control Unit production turned into a black hole for crystal ossilators. I had to restart because it ate like half of my reservoir before I noticed.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm hoping there is a visual signal when you're running off of batteries. Like the power poles have a flashing light or something.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I just saw on a video of update four that there is just one body spot still, and the hoverpack takes it up. So what, you have the gas mask, Jetpack, blade runners and now a hoverpack. Good god. Give us a leg slot at least!

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I just saw on a video of update four that there is just one body spot still, and the hoverpack takes it up. So what, you have the gas mask, Jetpack, blade runners and now a hoverpack. Good god. Give us a leg slot at least!

I’ve never delivered into mods but a combination blade runner + jet pack gets real tempting

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So where should I start an Update 4 base? I ran out to the Coal Hole for the last one.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    So where should I start an Update 4 base? I ran out to the Coal Hole for the last one.

I like the high forest start. There are at least two areas there (high lake, and the western edge of the canyon) with very abundant iron and easy access to caterium, water, and coal.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I made a silly mistake when getting aluminum production back online. In the process of getting coal instead of petroleum coke, I redirected all my coke to the sink, found some coal nodes near my oil and put the coal on the long distance conveyor I had been using for coke.

Turns out I had also been using the petroleum coke to make circuit boards, so I had to run a new conveyor belt anyway to get everything back.

It's easy to forget the details of a big factory and it's even easier when you don't play the game for months.

• Options
    Im hoping we get signs before 1.0. Most of the machines and storage containers have the space to show what they are making or what they have inside them. Or let us write something custom.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    So aluminum got expanded.

In addition to using ingots to make aluminum frames, you also use aluminia solution to make batteries. Gonna have to rip out my entire aluminum production line to take advantage.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

I like the high forest start. There are at least two areas there (high lake, and the western edge of the canyon) with very abundant iron and easy access to caterium, water, and coal.

High lake? I am drawing a blank, where is that?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

It's the grassy area with the very, very round lakes, lower end of the central plateau with the pink forest. You get up there via a few different ramps that go through poison gas.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options

It’s a crater-like area near the north-center of the map, not far south from the middle of the northern canyon. It has a bunch of pure iron nodes and a small water source deep enough for a few pumps. It’s got those arching stone ribs above it. I’ll screenshot a map when I get home.

• Options
    Saw on Youtube that, while you can't sink plutonium waste.. you CAN sink plutonium fuel rods, which means you can run uranium power, waste free, for basically forever at scale only limited by available uranium nodes.

• Options
    Was checking out where the new resource wells were and I discovered there was not one, but TWO of them right next to my nuclear setup, so hooking up most of the remaining nuclear towers should be a snap.

Thank you Satisfactory Gods for smiling upon me.

• Options

I've circled the area. The blue shaded area is the northern forest start zone, so you can spawn anywhere inside that circle. There are four pure iron nodes very close to the lake I circled, and another two in the same area. There are also pure copper, pure limestone, and normal limestone nodes nearby. Coal is to the southeast down a ravine, near a lake surrounded by high cliffs, and oil is either to the north along the coast or south in a high basin near red forest. Caterium is to the west down a gentle slope, between the two pure iron clusters in the region.
    pepp4e84m229.png

qevb39sf4bnb.png

• Options
    Saw on Youtube that, while you can't sink plutonium waste.. you CAN sink plutonium fuel rods, which means you can run uranium power, waste free, for basically forever at scale only limited by available uranium nodes.

I doubt you even need to make them into fuel rods, you can probably sink it after the first treatment step

• Options
    also there have been a few quick patches since the update launched

most notable thing is that autosaves work again

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The update is only on Experimental branch right now, right?

• Options
    3clips3 wrote: »

yep

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

yep

I checked at least a half dozen times yesterday if it had made its way to.... I guess the early access (steam) release and nada. I’m itching to get satisfactory running again.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Penumbra wrote: »

yep

I checked at least a half dozen times yesterday if it had made its way to.... I guess the early access (steam) release and nada. I’m itching to get satisfactory running again.

You can go into the beta options for the game on Steam and turn on the experimental version and then steam just updates the game to it. That is what I did.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

yep

If you for some reason don't want to switch to experimental, it's probably going to be close to a month before the update is out.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

yep

If you for some reason don't want to switch to experimental, it's probably going to be close to a month before the update is out.

Is experimental a separate save? Would it convert my current save over or would I need to start over? (Starting over isn’t a deal breaker.)

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

yep

Is experimental a separate save? Would it convert my current save over or would I need to start over? (Starting over isn’t a deal breaker.)

They recommend that you back up your saves before converting over to Experimental

It'll probably be fine but it's easy enough to do

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options

I doubt you even need to make them into fuel rods, you can probably sink it after the first treatment step

update on this: you do, apparently, have to go all the way through the process of converting uranium waste to plutonium fuel rods before you can sink it

• Options
    Got my aluminum and nuclear setups working again. Some notes

-They lowered the amount of sulfuric acid you make per sulfur, so be aware
    -Dear god you can make so much fucking aluminum now. It's one for one with bauxite, so you can make up to 780 on one node with the base recipie. 780 aluminum can be turned into 2080 aluminum scrap! (With the petroleum coke recipe) that can be foundered (is that even a word?) into almost 1400 ingots per minute. That's so much scrap you'd need separate lines to run it all! Though you'll want to save some alumina solution for battery production.
    -They changed the heatsink recipe to require aluminum cases instead of alacad sheets.
    -Dear god in heaven make sure to shut off and reset the recipes on your radio control unit assemblers, otherwise they'll turn into resource black holes that eat every crystal oscillator and aluminum case that are fed into it without ever making anything.
    -Turbo motors now require a part that requires a blender and nitrogen. Supercomputers didn't get anything in their chain changed though, so you can keep making them like there's no tomorrow.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Got Nitrogen going and turbomotors up and running again. Transporting fluids is a bit weird as they don't really hold a lot in the train tank, so unless it's a zippy trip, I run out of Nitrogen well before the next train gets there.

Second issue is that fluid buffers act very weirdly for gas. Despite having no head lift requirements, the buffer won't consistently spit out the 450/min I'm using, leaving my cooling system development a bit spotty.

Also nabbed the hoverpack and dear god in heaven this thing is the light. Not only does it allow you complete flight while you're near a power pole, it also acts as an infinite use air brake. You can just hammer on the jump button as you fall and even if there's no power nearby, your fall will stop for just an instant. If you spam the jump button you can almost hover in place with no power.

So far this seems like a hell of an update.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I think the hoverpack will also work if you're near a powered train track

• Options

Yup. It rules.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

I hope so. I mainly started using mods just to get some height on my builds

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I got aluminum production up and running again.

a full mk 4 belt of bauxite is really simple and straightforward to process into ingots.

it's really weird, because they said the goal with revising aluminum was to take out some of the complexity, and if you look at the process on paper it doesn't really seem like they accomplished that--you still have to deal with adding coal and silica, and you still have to backflow the water from the second step. you also have to make a new part from the ingots.

however, the numbers involved just make it a lot easier. four refineries for alumina, two for scrap, four water extractors plus backflow in a single mk 2 pipe, then eight foundries on two separate belts for aluminum scrap. I think the hardest part is figuring out how to use the extra silica from step 1, and if you're a lazy pile of shit like me you can just sink it and make all the silica you need with 20 constructors.

even the final step is easy, 4 assemblers making alclad sheets and 4 constructors making casings uses the full output perfectly.

• Options
    Took at look at the new Space Elevator componants and holy shit am I glad I stockpiled all of the old parts.

You need

4,000 Assembly Director System
    (8,000 Adaptive Control Units, 4,000 Supercomputers)

4,000 Magnetic Field Generator
    (10,000 Versatile Frameworks, 20,000 batteries and 4,000 Electromagnetic Control Rods)

1,000 Thermal Propulsion Rocket
    (2,500 Modular Engines, 1,000 Turbomotors, 1,000 Fused Modular Frames)

1,000 Nuclear Pasta
    (200,000 Copper Powder (1,200,000 Copper Ingots), 1,000 Pressure Conversion Cubes (1,000 Fused Modular Frames, 2,000 Radio Control Units)

It would take 33 hours for a single copper node supercharged to 600 ore/minute to produce that much copper.

Not getting that one done anytime soon.

• Options
    a single node overclocked to 780/min using the pure copper ingot recipe in a bank of refineries can do it in about ten hours

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I am not playing the update until it hits Early Access... but I may have to go into my early access save and start changing things.

Clearly I am gonna need to redesign a bunch of my existing stuff (I actually wasn't super happy with my supercomputer and turbomotor lines anyway). Might as well disassemble it all and build out my canyon platform to have space to build later.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    I'm not completely sure they added this in update 4, however: you can now use the build gun while you're climbing a ladder, which is very useful while exploring, I've found

• Options
    I'm not completely sure they added this in update 4, however: you can now use the build gun while you're climbing a ladder, which is very useful while exploring, I've found

You've been able to do this for a while. I've used it to build super tall ladder stacks.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I am not playing the update until it hits Early Access... but I may have to go into my early access save and start changing things.

Clearly I am gonna need to redesign a bunch of my existing stuff (I actually wasn't super happy with my supercomputer and turbomotor lines anyway). Might as well disassemble it all and build out my canyon platform to have space to build later.

Supercomputers can be left alone, thankfully. Really the big changes to existing stuff are

1. Alumina Solution. In addition to swapping the Normal Recipie with the Electrode Aluminum recipe (default is now coal, alternate is now petroleum coke) I think they've changed the numbers so you get more out of individual bauxite so you can build less stuff to achieve the a similar amount. It took me a bit to get my head around what I specifically needed to do but I think I've got it.
    2. Aluminum Production. A new item is Aluminum Cases, which are made from ingots. Some recipes have had their alacad sheet requirements replaced with cases. (Like the radio control units)
    3. Turbomotors now require Cooling Systems, which require teir 8 nitrogen harvesting.
    3. Nuclear: They've removed a step, so you can replace your refineries making uranium pellets to put into assemblers to make encased uranium cells, and just use a blenders to turn raw uranium, sulfuric acid and concrete into uranium cells, basically combining the refinery and assembly portion into a single step. Aside from the radioactivity, this was super simple to do, you just need to start making aluminum cases first.

• Options
    I do love the idea of blenders just mashing that uranium around. Get it all over those rotors, make some aerosols yeah. Share the alpha particle love.