As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Mandalorian Season 2 - OPEN SPOILER ZONE!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Fett isn't supposed to be a good guy. Mandalorians aren't supposed to be good guys either. They're all supposed to have a combination of respecting the Mandalorian code, respecting their own code, and then working as mercs to get money to support the Mando nation; the independent streak is actively encouraged in their own ranks as long as they aren't putting the other Mandos at risk. Fett ended up working for the side that killed the people who chopped off his father's head; on top of the vengeance angle, the Empire was the law at that point and they paid good money. Before Din gets Grogu, he doesn't give a shit about what his bounty heads did either, he just wants his money.

As far Fett being portrayed with too much fanservice, I've been waiting to see Fett in proper action ever since I was a little kid. Seeing him humiliatingly crush the stormtroopers was perfect to me, right down to actually using the damn knee guns. Further, his thing with refusing to relinquish his oath to protect the kid is definitely Very Mando. They do that shit so that when a situation gets tight, they can give their word not to shoot somebody and that somebody can actually believe the offer. Alternatively, if a Mando swears they're going to hunt you down if you don't give them what they want, you know they really mean it. Sticking to an oath like that might get them killed, but it's also some extra protection and leverage for all Mandos.

Mandalorians are the Vegeta of Star Wars. Yes they're cool, they're just not as cool as they THINK they are.

As noted by the pile of armor from presumably dead Mandos from the first season, where run-of-the-mill stormtroopers seemed plenty capable of gunning the lot of them down.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, Fett isn't supposed to be a good guy. Mandalorians aren't supposed to be good guys either. They're all supposed to have a combination of respecting the Mandalorian code, respecting their own code, and then working as mercs to get money to support the Mando nation; the independent streak is actively encouraged in their own ranks as long as they aren't putting the other Mandos at risk. Fett ended up working for the side that killed the people who chopped off his father's head; on top of the vengeance angle, the Empire was the law at that point and they paid good money. Before Din gets Grogu, he doesn't give a shit about what his bounty heads did either, he just wants his money.

As far Fett being portrayed with too much fanservice, I've been waiting to see Fett in proper action ever since I was a little kid. Seeing him humiliatingly crush the stormtroopers was perfect to me, right down to actually using the damn knee guns. Further, his thing with refusing to relinquish his oath to protect the kid is definitely Very Mando. They do that shit so that when a situation gets tight, they can give their word not to shoot somebody and that somebody can actually believe the offer. Alternatively, if a Mando swears they're going to hunt you down if you don't give them what they want, you know they really mean it. Sticking to an oath like that might get them killed, but it's also some extra protection and leverage for all Mandos.

Mandalorians are the Vegeta of Star Wars. Yes they're cool, they're just not as cool as they THINK they are.

As noted by the pile of armor from presumably dead Mandos from the first season, where run-of-the-mill stormtroopers seemed plenty capable of gunning the lot of them down.

Sure when you’ve got a weapon designed specifically to kill them they die easily. Who’da thunk?

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Sure when you’ve got a weapon designed specifically to kill them they die easily. Who’da thunk?

Blasters?

Blasters seem to kill everybody.

He's referring to the shot up armor at the end of Season 1. Not Sabine's weapon.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the Armorer says that the pile of armor is because they all ditched.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the Armorer says that the pile of armor is because they all ditched.

She doesn't seem certain of what happened to them, only that she's responsible for disposing of the armor. The disposal could be to conceal their identities, serve as a burial process, or both.

Sabine trashed the anti-Mando weapon in Rebels (at least I thought she did), so there should be a lot of Mando bodies and non-armpr gear around if they died, though.

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

She doesn't seem certain of what happened to them, only that she's responsible for disposing of the armor. The disposal could be to conceal their identities, serve as a burial process, or both.

Sabine trashed the anti-Mando weapon in Rebels (at least I thought she did), so there should be a lot of Mando bodies and non-armpr gear around if they died, though.

The bodies could have all gone into the lava river

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    If they'd just been straight up killed it seems super weird that the guild or empire or anyone else would just leave that much Mando armor laying around. Seems like that shit would be scavenged with a vengeance. my interpretation was always that they ditched the armor and got out of Dodge before they could be found out, and the Armorer decided to stay behind and break down as much as she could before their hidey hole was discovered

i also haven't watched season 1 since it was new though, so there could be tons i missed/am forgetting about that whole scenario

Houk the Namebringer on
    Yeah, the fact that she was apparently able to get all the armor is what tells me they mostly just shed the armor and left. If it was a fight, they would've been all over the place and there's no way the Empire would let a resource like that just sit around, never mind letting some rando Mando scoop up all the bodies in a cart and drag them off to the sewers.

I have to wonder if there isn't a way back to becoming a Mandalorian, though. If you choose to ditch, that's it, you're free and clear. But if you want to come back, you have the same chance as anybody else if you prove you've got what it takes. But you start from scratch, with no lineage and having to earn your way back to full Mando armor.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Ditching doesn't really seem like the Mandalorean thing to do though. I mean, escaping to reform the covert somewhere else, sure. But ditching ones armor? showing thier face?Abandoning the way and running? That doesn't hold, IMO, with any Mando that we've seen on any size screen.

I don't remember the Armorer saying anything about the covert fleeing. Just that she was staying behind to take care of what needed to be taken care off before the Empire returned to finish the job. I was under the impression that everyone died fighting when the Empire took over, not that they ran away.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    This is one reason why I will continue to criticize the dialog in Mandalorian.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/Qh3Y2Y8uz-4

Alternatively: M-Mando cool...?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    This is one reason why I will continue to criticize the dialog in Mandalorian.

Shrug. I personally don't really want them to go into detail on every little off-scene moment. Some ambiguity is fine

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Ditching doesn't really seem like the Mandalorean thing to do though. I mean, escaping to reform the covert somewhere else, sure. But ditching ones armor? showing thier face?Abandoning the way and running? That doesn't hold, IMO, with any Mando that we've seen on any size screen.

I don't remember the Armorer saying anything about the covert fleeing. Just that she was staying behind to take care of what needed to be taken care off before the Empire returned to finish the job. I was under the impression that everyone died fighting when the Empire took over, not that they ran away.

The covert wasn't just warrior Mandos, it looked like it was full of Mando families, kids and all. Given a chance, Dinn was about half a step away from ditching the armor to give Grogu a fairly normal and protected life. And given how big the Mandos are on self-determination, I could definitely see a pile of them dropping the armor to give their kids a chance to survive and, presumably, pick up the Mando way again someday.

I'm not saying they did leave for sure, just that the situation was deliberately left ambiguous so they could potentially have stories about that later. There's plenty of wiggle room there from what was said and what we saw.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I thought it was pretty clear, they fought with the empire and suffered terrible casualties, lost battles, but that doesn't mean every Mando died all at once.

They probably lost a few every fight, with the survivors recovering the bodies and carrying their fallen comrades back to the covert where the armor would be given back to the blacksmith.

This all happened pretty quickly and she still has a lot of armor to process, the other surviving Mandos in the covert moved on to establish a new location and she's just staying behind to finish recovering the beskar before abandoning her forge.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BofvfVPFbiM

John Prine was too pure for this world

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty clear, they fought with the empire and suffered terrible casualties, lost battles, but that doesn't mean every Mando died all at once.

They probably lost a few every fight, with the survivors recovering the bodies and carrying their fallen comrades back to the covert where the armor would be given back to the blacksmith.

This all happened pretty quickly and she still has a lot of armor to process, the other surviving Mandos in the covert moved on to establish a new location and she's just staying behind to finish recovering the beskar before abandoning her forge.

This is absolutely a thing that could have happened, but you can't really say it was "pretty clear" since the scenario you just described was neither shown nor explicitly referenced.

Like Ninja said, it seems like it was intentional left ambiguous so that the writers would have some options in future episodes/seasons.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Armorer: We knew what could happen if we left the covert. The Imperials arrived shortly thereafter. This is what resulted.

The Mandalorian: Did any survive?

The Armorer: I hope so. Some may have escaped off-world.

That's the totality of the explanation given.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I know the actual reason is 'because then there'd be no show', but do they ever explain why the Imperials had ten dudes hanging out on the crappy lava planet and were dropping fat stacks of cash, relatively speaking, to send rando bounty hunters after Grogu? They show up in massive force to try and retrieve him at the end of the first season, why didn't they just send those forces on a smash and grab? There's very little Republic presence, so I don't think that's stopping them, and those magic tracking pucks seem pretty accurate... so... why?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I know the actual reason is 'because then there'd be no show', but do they ever explain why the Imperials had ten dudes hanging out on the crappy lava planet and were dropping fat stacks of cash, relatively speaking, to send rando bounty hunters after Grogu? They show up in massive force to try and retrieve him at the end of the first season, why didn't they just send those forces on a smash and grab? There's very little Republic presence, so I don't think that's stopping them, and those magic tracking pucks seem pretty accurate... so... why?

They were operating out of a secret research base, so some measure of obfuscation was necessary for security.

Some imperial splinter hiring bounty hunters is one thing, but if a stormtrooper Battallion is blasting it’s way through the Outer Rim, that’ll call down Republic presence which gives the whole game away.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

They were operating out of a secret research base, so some measure of obfuscation was necessary for security.

Some imperial splinter hiring bounty hunters is one thing, but if a stormtrooper Battallion is blasting it’s way through the Outer Rim, that’ll call down Republic presence which gives the whole game away.

Yeah, shiny white armor probably draws Republic attention. Flying around in a Star Destroyer probably does the same thing, but with more torpedoes.
    Bounty hunters are just part of life on the Rim though. Nothing too suspicious about them running around after a mandalorian and his space son that would tip the Republic off.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Yeah they're powerful in the sense that they've got a bunch of dudes compared to say, the mando deathwatch remnants, but the imperials really only seem like they've got a few ships and a few functioning bases here and there.

Sucks if you're a local but not enough to actually piss off the republic

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    When that old-ass proto-Star Destroyer showed up with Gideon and someone (Mando I think) was like "the Empire is back!" that really hammered home the point that they're trying to do things on the down-low so that the Republic doesn't come in and drop the hammer.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    It was Boba, but yes.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I still enjoy the rangers letting Dinn know there's a large reward he was owed, and Dinn offers it up to them in exchange for help repair his ship and they don't even bother telling him no before they leave.

I still enjoy the rangers letting Dinn know there's a large reward he was owed, and Dinn offers it up to them in exchange for help repair his ship and they don't even bother telling him no before they leave.

Did you see that place? It was fucking cold. I'd jump back in that starfighter and crank up the heater too.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Plus they killed some of the spiders, they probably didn't get all of them, and fuck getting spider'd.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Plus they killed some of the spiders, they probably didn't get all of them, and fuck getting spider'd.

Oh, for sure. "Death by space spider" would absolutely not be on my bucket list, there's just no way it's ever a swift, painless death. There's always something like you getting paralyzed and webbed up to be slowly devoured fully alive, awake, and aware by the bebe spiders.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Oh, for sure. "Death by space spider" would absolutely not be on my bucket list, there's just no way it's ever a swift, painless death. There's always something like you getting paralyzed and webbed up to be slowly devoured fully alive, awake, and aware by the bebe spiders.

Sure, but that's why you make sure you have a baby yoda with you, so it can eat the spiders before they eat you.

• sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    New episode of Disney Gallery out on D+ today detailing the making of the season two finale -- answered a lot of my questions about how they pulled it off. (I'm pretty sure there was no technical reason to have Mark dressed as Luke on set. And if I were the showrunners I totally would have done it, too. :P )

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    sullijo wrote: »
    New episode of Disney Gallery out on D+ today detailing the making of the season two finale -- answered a lot of my questions about how they pulled it off. (I'm pretty sure there was no technical reason to have Mark dressed as Luke on set. And if I were the showrunners I totally would have done it, too. :P )

That was a good episode.

Butt man, I wish(?) I could care about anything as much as they seem to care about these fictional characters. The reverence for Luuke and SW in general is just not something I can connect to.

Really liked them running through the process of choosing the tech and Mark acting through it showed real insight into the level of detail involved.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I watched that Making of Mandalorian Season 2 Finale and have mostly two thoughts.

1. That seems like an insane amount of work to digitize Hamill's face when....you could have just hired a good actor.
    2. Max, the body stand in, looks just like him! Let him do it! He's already learning from Hamill himself!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I watched that Making of Mandalorian Season 2 Finale and have mostly two thoughts.

1. That seems like an insane amount of work to digitize Hamill's face when....you could have just hired a good actor.
    2. Max, the body stand in, looks just like him! Let him do it! He's already learning from Hamill himself!

Disney is trying to perfect this tech for immortal actors they own the copyright to.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

this was more of a proof of concept in Disney's plan to revive all the dead actors that ever worked for them to make reboots for all eternity.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

this was more of a proof of concept in Disney's plan to revive all the dead actors that ever worked for them to make reboots for all eternity.

They already did their proof of concept - Peter Cushing.

This is just another step in the road to making it look better and cost less.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I didn't even think it looked like Mark Hamill to be honest.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

I didn't even think it looked like Mark Hamill to be honest.

I was 99% sure it was supposed to be Skywalker under there until he revealed his face and then I was about 30% sure, because it definitely does not look anything like Hamill.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I would prefer just a new actor that looks kind of like the character rather than watching this stuff trying to get things exactly right.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I would prefer just a new actor that looks kind of like the character rather than watching this stuff trying to get things exactly right.

I would be so content with a blonde Sebastian Stan running around

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Or, you know, just don't use Luke. The whole point of stuff like the Mandalorian is to explore parts of the Star Wars universe that haven't been seen before. They already dipped into the OT bucket with Fett, did we really REALLY need to see Luke?

Take the time to introduce a new character! Then if you ever want to bring back Grogu, you can just have him in the custody of that character instead of coming up with an excuse for Luke to be offscreen or doing this noticably imperfect CGI bit.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That's why I found the whole thing to be a little creepy.

It wasn't like they were all excited to have Hamill, they wanted to parade around the memory of Luke Skywalker .

Like how Dorritos and McNuggets are engineered for maximum flavor, their engineering for maximum nostalgia. See Ready Player One, Space Jam