As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[#MeToo] Comes To Gaming

1888990919294»

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Its sort of odd to accuse others both of engaging in hysterics (about actual sex crimes against minors????) while also leveraging complaints about people seeking.... retweets? on a forum???

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I specifically avoided using the word ephebophile earlier, despite its accuracy, because I knew it would flip a switch in people's brains and we'd end up...here.

Glad(?) to know I wasn't just being paranoid.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    because the accurate distinction between predatory behaviours towards underaged individuals is what's really important

Of course not.

Not being full of shit on the other hand is kind of important.

This means debating with facts not whatever rhetoric one thinks is going to play better on Twitter and get more retweets.

We're not on twitter, are we? I admit I get confused easily sometimes, but I was pretty sure about that.

also, as this is the second time you've said it "full of shit" is a strong take on "not being clinically precise when defining predatory behaviour"

Ok, feel free to replace "full of shit" with "intentionally misusing terminology to illicit and emotional response in a discussion over something which frankly needs no help in doing so due to it's inherently gross nature" if it makes you feel better.

Is it that hard to accurately describe the creepy shit without misusing terminology to try and make it even creepier?

I don't know, that's a lot of words and it really makes the sentences run on when I swap it in.

Is it that hard to accept widely understood interpretations of terms without using pedantry that appears to serve no purpose other than to obfuscate the issue by using a term that most people are not familiar with?

I ask again, what is served by this, other than providing cover for ephebophiles and muddying the waters for predators of all kinds?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The "what is pedophilia" discussion doesn't seem to be furthering the mission statement of this thread to discuss MeToo in Gaming. Let's refocus.

rRwz9.gif
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    No one here is defending predatory behavior, jfc! But words have meanings, and D&D of all places should respect that.

The thing that bothers me about calling lusting after underage teenagers pedophilia is this: Pedophilia is almost universally reviled - as it should be! Preying on vulnerable people, including minors, should also be reviled! But it's not, because people suck. So when someone calls grooming a post-pubescent minor pedophilia, it feels like an attempt to borrow the outrage the term evokes and apply it to this other thing. That then reinforces the implication that preying on teenagers isn't sufficiently bad on its own (otherwise we wouldn't need to borrow outrage!).

Or, to put another way: stretching the definition of pedophilia to include ephebophilia implies that predatory behavior is only wrong if the victims are children.

The response to "technically, it's ephebophilia" shouldn't be "oh, well that's different then," it should be, "yes, and the behavior is still wrong and despicable!"

Calica on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Saying adults (you've also repeatedly pointed out adult men, specifically) should not have unsupervised contact with minors heavily implies the only reason that interaction would occur is sexual in nature, which is fucking wild to me.

Danny's brief interaction with an underage fan through dms, which let's be clear, was responding to her reaching out to say she was a fan and his responses were not sexual in anyway and saying she was awesome, doesn't show grooming in any way, especially after knowing they didn't speak again for 4 years.

If you think a creator cannot interact with fans without being inherently sexual unless they are of the same age, you've lost the plot, my dude.

No. I'm saying the potential for abuse in those situations is there and therefore should be supervised.
    Stop trying to state what I'm implying when I'm being explicit about what I'm saying.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ceres wrote: »
    This thread is for stories that relate to #metoo in the video game industry, not #metoo in somebody's youtube channel

I'm going to go ahead and assume I was botp'd and no one saw this instead of handing out points to everyone who has posted since.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Alright, actually, after two mod messages have whooshed over people's heads, I'm giving the thread a break until people's tunnel vision recedes a little.

Geth, close the thread.

rRwz9.gif
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.