As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra] Definitely not Neeko! Nope!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I shall install it sometime this week and give it a go. I take it that this, too, is a game one can play while pooping?

Let's be honest this is legitimately the most important detail.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Games are probably a little long for that. The priority system has a lot of back and forth so even aggro decks take some time to play. I'd say it's about 10 minutes a game for an aggro deck, 15 for a midrange or combo deck, and 20 for a control deck. Lack of removal and lifegain options does limit control mirror length though, you'll basically never go past 30 unlike Hearthstone.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I shall install it sometime this week and give it a go. I take it that this, too, is a game one can play while pooping?

Let's be honest this is legitimately the most important detail.

Yes, you can play and poop, but it requires more attention. The game flow is more MtG than HS. Excited to get you giving it a go. Feel free to ask a lot of questions, but a lot of MtG and HS skills transfer over with some minor learning pains getting used to LoR's unique mechanics.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Paging @Thawmus and @Lucid_Seraph! Come join us in the fun. :)

Yeah in a bit! I got like 500 other games right now including a deluge of Steam gifts! And Warframe just updated! And so did Elder Scrolls Online! And I got THREE DAY JOBS RIGHT NOW /internal screaming

But yeah soon, promise <3

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Nevermind, my love of card games won

In game name is lucidseraph (no caps, no underscore)

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You gotta post what your number is or it dosent count.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    You gotta post what your number is or it dosent count.

How do I find that information? I'm not seeing it.

• Options
    Main menu, open the friend tab in the top right (hooded figures), mouse over your icon.

So I'm Yilias #moc.

OrgrQ6G.png?1

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I was just thinking... "Man, it feels like there's probably going to be more champions that use the Reputation mechanic, aren't there? Wonder who...""

In the distance, you can hear BANG BANG BANG BANG PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER blaring...

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I was just thinking... "Man, it feels like there's probably going to be more champions that use the Reputation mechanic, aren't there? Wonder who...""

In the distance, you can hear BANG BANG BANG BANG PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER blaring...

I've never played LoL, so I'm going to have to google this reference. BRB....

...wait, Devil May Cry 5? Now I'm confused. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Samira, the League of Legends character, is a fairly explicit Devil May Cry reference, including an action game style Style Meter that raises as you performs different actions in quick succession

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Main menu, open the friend tab in the top right (hooded figures), mouse over your icon.

So I'm Yilias #moc.

OrgrQ6G.png?1

Ah. I'm LucidSeraph #NA1

• Options
    EVVo1rz.png

Waiter! I'll be having the Poro Snax topped with Poro Snax today, and your finest Poro Snax for dessert!

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »

So I'm Yilias #moc.

OrgrQ6G.png?1

Ah. I'm LucidSeraph #NA1

Invite sent!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So, on an average of, let's just assume, 3 games a day, should I be getting in on the current event, with 7 days left on it, or let this thing pass me by and get in on the next one? I'm still going through some minor tutorializing and playing against AI while I unlock Prologue stuff.

• Options
    Also I'm Thawmus #7483

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    So, on an average of, let's just assume, 3 games a day, should I be getting in on the current event, with 7 days left on it, or let this thing pass me by and get in on the next one? I'm still going through some minor tutorializing and playing against AI while I unlock Prologue stuff.

There's nothing to really do for the event that's different from what you'd normally do. Except I guess if you wanted to pay for it.

With a week left though you'd have to play a lot I think to unlock all the free rewards. The big quests give a good amount of progress but a lot of it is also based in doing the daily 1-win bonus or the repeatable quest.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

There's nothing to really do for the event that's different from what you'd normally do. Except I guess if you wanted to pay for it.

With a week left though you'd have to play a lot I think to unlock all the free rewards. The big quests give a good amount of progress but a lot of it is also based in doing the daily 1-win bonus or the repeatable quest.

Ah, yeah, sorry, I meant the premium event pass, just realized I didn't actually say that.

• Options
    It's retroactive so you can decide on the last day if you want it, after seeing how far you got.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I finished the event pass last week so I bet it's theoretically doable. I also remembered seeing people with the high end rewards impossibly fast.

I'll also say it's a good deal if you only get a few of the items and you like the ones you'd unlock by the end, even if you don't get all of it.

• Options
    Also I'm Thawmus #7483

Invite sent!

For the event, I'd just do as much as you can. Most of it is cosmetics anyway. Take what you can get and focus on other things. I believe there's another event planned within the next month or so.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    All the cards are craftable but if its like the last event then the emotes and guardians are only available for this event. But most of the guardians are alt versions of ones you can get in the store anyway. I think you have to decide on your own if what you have unlocked is worth 10 dollars but if its just card collection stuff you want then you can get that over time.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    God there sure are a lot of keywords in this game o_O

• Options
    I might be cursing myself, but I was cruising through Ranked with Swim's Azir aggro deck and decided to check my stats.

kup9j3tewdr9.png

Holy crap, I had no idea I've gone 25-9. I highly recommend this deck for climbing and newer players since the deck is stupid cheap (12k shards) and requires no Epics and only 2 Champions.

ynvac3es5hsb.png
    CECAIAIFBMTDAMIDAQDRUHCSAMBQKAYEAYAQEBIEAIAQCBJPAECAOAYDAECAO6IBAICQMAIBAUVQ

So many solid lines of play to end games. Typically you want to go wide and push lots of damage. Azir shouldn't come down on curve, but rather as a turn 5 or so play. A great tactic is if you have a leveled Azir in play and cast Rite of Calling to draw your other Azir. The you open attacking with Azir and cast his signature spell 2-3 times for crazy damage.

Fading Memories gives lots of win conditions. Use it to create extra Stygian Onlookers for huge damage and Overwhelm or to create extra Doombeasts to burn them out. Hell, I had one game where I played a Cursed Keeper in play on turn 2, then played another Cursed Keeper on turn 3, Butchered a Keeper and played Fading Memories on my Butcher to pop my second keeper and swung in for 14 on turn 3.

Anyway, the deck is really good. Give it a shot!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    My Sivir/LeBlanc has been kind of hitting a wall, I might change to Azir burn or scouts. Mid/high gold.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    God there sure are a lot of keywords in this game o_O

Almost all of them have an analogue to mtg or another card game. You just gotta learn the proprietary name. Luckily you can mouse over all yellow text and it gives a tooltip.

• Options
    Okay another curious question, it seems coins are the premium currency, and then there's shards that are basically the Hearthstone analog for dust, right?

So do you guys F2P your collections together via shards or does this game just throw a ton of packs at you or what's the basic F2P economic wisdom? Not afraid to spend money, but I also don't want to be dumb about it. I did grab the starter pack right away, as I do with most phone games.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Okay another curious question, it seems coins are the premium currency, and then there's shards that are basically the Hearthstone analog for dust, right?

So do you guys F2P your collections together via shards or does this game just throw a ton of packs at you or what's the basic F2P economic wisdom? Not afraid to spend money, but I also don't want to be dumb about it. I did grab the starter pack right away, as I do with most phone games.

The main way you buy stuff is with wildcards in my experience. I've never actually had to dip into my massive stash of shards but it's there if needed. If you are just starting out you might need to spend more shards though.

The game also just throws cards at you all the time. There's the reward tracks for each region that give you a ton of shit. And the weekly chest which gives you a ton of shit as well. Also all rewards have a chance to upgrade. The chests upgrade to a higher level, the cards can upgrade to a wildcard of that rarity instead of a specific card. Dupes of green and blue cards become shards, purples and champs have duplicate protection and so give you a different epic or champ unless you've got them all.

It's not that hard to build a huge collection by just finishing all the region tracks and getting to at least a lvl 10 weekly chest every time. I've never spent a dime on this game by doing it that way. But it takes more time. The more you want stuff right now, the more you might need to pay.

• Options

The game is super duper f2p friendly just keep doing your quests and leveling up your region tracks and the game with throw shit at you constantly. The big windfalls are your weekly vault that you level up each week to open on Thursdays. Leveling up the vault upgrades the chests in the vault which means better/more prizes. The prize is level 10 (very easy to do just clearing your daily quests) since that gives you a guaranteed champion wildcard every week (levels 5-10 are a free champion, but not a wildcard).

You can pick a lot of strategies for switching region tracks to maximize exp gain since the lower tiers advance faster, but really just pick the faction you like, level it up, and play the game. I've spent some money on this game but literally only for cosmetics and I have the vast majority of all cards, even from the new expansion. You don't need to unless you need to have all the cards RIGHT NOW. Find a deck on the mobalytics tier list you'd like to play and just start collecting pieces for it with your shards/wilds, and then move on to the next deck. It's a very easy game to get by in.

• Options
    I never knew about Draven and Teemo's interaction before, and man was that funny.

https://youtu.be/t8_AY-6W6tE?t=96
    (Jump to 1:36 if the time stamp doesn't work)

@Thawmus, like everyone mentioned, you really don't need to spend any money. Cards are thrown at you by the fistful. As long as you complete your daily quest (1,000 or 1,500 xp) and get your 3 PvP win bonus XP, you'll have a level 11 Vault every week. Add in the rewards from the region track and pepper in rewards from doing the training modes (these update with each expansion, so check back often!) and you'll be swimming in currency. Finally, I'd highly recommend doing an Expedition run each week. You get a free token from the Vault, so you're not paying out anything. Even if you get no wins in either run, you're still guaranteed an Epic card.

To give you an idea, here's my stupid amount of currency from doing the above criteria:

ud8b5qz4w1wo.png

Now granted, this is from a year of playing since beta, but it's not uncommon for most players to build up a huge amount of resources after 4-6 months depending on your play rate. This includes the fact that I own EVERY card from Foundation, Rising Tides, and Call of the Mountain, with 67% of Empires of the Ascended complete. It's total shellshock that took me months to adjust to after only playing HS and MTG.

It's going to be a slow start, but you'll be rolling in cards in no time. Just stick with the Quests/PvP stuff and you'll be fine.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Draven so mean :(

On the flip side Ive been playing for six months and still have 75% collection. Im not swimming in resources but I can keep up with the new releases.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Draven so mean :(

On the flip side Ive been playing for six months and still have 75% collection. Im not swimming in resources but I can keep up with the new releases.

Yeah. Good luck having this kind of completion percentage in Arena or Hearthstone while playing anything less than insane streamer "I do this for a living" levels.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah it'll probably feel a little slow initially other than the XP buff in the region tracks because it's not as front-loaded as other games are, but it's a very consistent rate of acquiring resources which makes it very easy to just build up your stuff.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Happy Vault Day!

sc1yikye9x1w.png

A very good week! Most of those Commons/Rares were upgrades to Wild Cards and I scored an Epic Wildcard and Lissandra in my second Diamond chest. Good times!

k7jdrqxu6yjh.png

As usual, it looks like the Commons/Rares are going to be the toughest area to fill out in this expansion, but 61% of the set in 3 weeks is stellar. Maybe I should just spend some resources to get the rest of the stuff? Nah! :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Eat it Dover I have 68% completion. I did spend a lot of stuff to build lots of things though. I think I built all but 8 champs off the bat. I also don't have 100% in any set because I refuse to spend to get the handful of rares I'm missing that must be total chaff/garbage if I didn't craft them for something by now anyways.

Here's another interesting metric to check, what's everyone's champ mastery looking like? LeBlanc is in the lead for me because she's played in Sivir/LeBlanc but also in the Ashe midrange deck that I've played a handful of times squeaking her ahead of Sivir. They're both level 3. Azir, Garen, Lucian, and Jarvan are holding down 2, ranging from half full to barely there. The only ones with any level are Kallista, Lissandra, Trundle, and Ashe.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    I just craft all the commons on set release now. The wildcards accrue faster than they release cards.
    T5qxm5z.png?1

Epics are a bit behind since I only did two or three expeditions before finishing the event track to avoid getting dupes, but I'm still on schedule to get them all before the next set anyway.
    VjUQj1f.png?1

I've been busy with real life stuff so I haven't played much constructed and mastery isn't going much of anywhere outside of the unranked Aphelios pile dailies. Instead I have like a dozen champs halfway to mastery 1 from expeditions.

• Options
    *Looks at Yilias's Mastery Page* oh so YOU'RE the monster.

• Options
    I pulled a Yasuo and 2 epics. Pulled a Jarvan yesterday as well.

I now have at least 1 of every champ and every common in the game.

Missing 14 rares and 13 epics that I dont have at least one copy.

• Options
    One of each is almost the worst way to have it since it's hard to build decks with one ofs. I do always chuckle when I see someone who has like five or six champions pop up at the start of a match. It's my Draven/Jinx/Teemo/Darius/Ezreal aggro burn deck!