As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    you better watch out now

moose are known to kill them that write false about them online

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    moose are known to escape their pens, however

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Barely related, but wanna feel old?
    The little boy in the first Jurassic Park movie played John Deacon (the bass player) in Bohemian Rhapsody

Oh my god I thought he looked familiar

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    was it Hatchet where the kid almost gets merked by a moose for totally no reason at all? Like this kid's just out there trying not to die and a moose decides it's having none of that.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Book Hammond and Movie Hammond may as well be two entirely different characters outside of their being the person who makes a dinosaur park happen.

Book Hammond is introduced early on with one character quipping to another that Hammond "is about as sinister as Walt Disney," a line which initially is played for laughs, but if you know anything about real-life Disney, you know that Hammond is not a man to be trifled with, and the character making the quip is woefully uninformed about the Uncle Walt character that Disney played on TV (and despised, privately).

Later in the book we get a chapter from the perspective of Dr. Henry Wu, which details some of their background together before the events of JP. Wu successfully creates a "miniature elephant" which is actually described by Wu as a pretty horrific, mad scientist sort of creation that results in a housecat-sized elephant just chock-a-block with health issues stemming from being way smaller than the elephant genome calls for. Hammond loves the elephant, and uses it as a prop for his fundraising activities. It works every time, and the fact the elephant is prone to common infections and other issues is irrelevant for Hammond, who commands Wu create several more. Wu fails at this, greatly infuriating Hammond, and their relationship seems to be soured indefinitely, though as we know Wu eventually becomes the lead geneticist for Jurassic Park.

Book Hammond also takes great joy in his nearly-completed park, believing that he will make a fortune off ticket sales. At one point with Wu he brings up the possibility of making small, pet versions of the dinosaurs to sell to (wealthy) children. Hammond also is depicted as a cheapskate wherever possible. JP's heavy reliance on automation, a pretty cutting-edge idea in the 80's when the book is set, is purely a cost cutting measure in Hammond's eyes. He deliberately plays with Dennis Nedry's compensation in order to get some features not originally agreed to in on his deal. This is why Nedry is even present at JP itself during the events of the book, though Hammond does not realize the Nedry is also committing corporate espionage as a result of his unfair treatment at the hands of Hammond.

That espionage, of course, is the main reason why the dinos even escape containment.

Movie Hammond is simply a nice grandpa who had a fun idea for a park, one in which he claims will have free admission during a dinner scene. Most of Hammond's bad traits are instead transferred to the lawyer Gennaro, who is essentially the book's third protagonist.

I think the movie actually does a lot of things (maybe most things) better than the book. But one point where the book is absolutely better, is that it highlights at every stage how the park is doomed to failure.

The camera system doesn't cover the river, where the animals would tend to congregate and is also a contiguous area. The computer system is set to find out if there are fewer creatrues, and thus fails to detect when there are more (since they are breeding) (dinos have also escaped, even to the mainland). The animals behave unpredicably and have a vast array of health problems. Nothing in the park works as designed or expected.

As a concrete example, in the movie, Nedry turns off the fences (other than the raptor cage) allowing the animals to escape. Without his, it appears things would go OK.

In the book, Nedry turns off the security and some minor systems. In an attempt to reboot the system, they do a restart. But they fail to notice the system is now running on auxillary power, which cannot power the fences. And when aux power runs out, everything shuts down, necessitating a reboot of the main power.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Movie Hammond is a god damned mad scientist stirring up freakish chimeras in the pursuit of extreme wealth you just like it when he smiles through his friendly beard!!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Even before Nedry's sabotage the inaugural tour on the electric jeeps was a damp squib in the movie, where all they saw was a sick stegosaurus. In part good foreshadowing about how these creatures will not behave in a manner you can photogentically rely on.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    What I'm reading here is Jurassic Park is about the problems of techbro types trying to reinvent/innovate/disrupt something that already exists and works fine. The world's already full of zoos that deal with these issues and work just fine because they've had decades of experience but nooooo, gotta make genetically engineered dinosaurs and can't hire any biologists or even zookeepers who know how things already worked in order to have this technological marvel that hasn't really gotten out of beta yet.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Even before Nedry's sabotage the inaugural tour on the electric jeeps was a damp squib in the movie, where all they saw was a sick stegosaurus. In part good foreshadowing about how these creatures will not behave in a manner you can photogentically rely on.

Triceratops.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    sarukun wrote: »

Triceratops.

technically true, but it's also sick off its metaphorical balls for reasons unknown till the outside consultant shows up, so that kinda just proves the point further

also that part of the scene where Ellie squeezes on the little mucous thing on its tongue grosses me the fuck out every single time I see it

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    hmm, it's been a while. tonight might be a good night to rewatch Jurassic Park, aka far and away my most watched movie of all time

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Scientists at UCL developed a theoretical model of the missing two thids of the Antikythera mechanism based at least partially on mathematical models from ancient Greece

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2021/mar/experts-recreate-mechanical-cosmos-worlds-first-computer

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Sorry, that's probably not true. Sometimes I just slander moose on the internet for attention.

Mods, are we just gonna sit there and let this guy be a cervidophobe?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Weren't the people who built the pyramids more or less the ancient equivalent of a labor union or guild or something?

That was the other thing Dr. Zahi Hawass was super angry about all the time. If you dared suggest they were built by Hebrew slaves he would tear your still beating heart out and eat it infront of you.

I like that guy, Dr. Hawass.

Also, weren't the pyramids built like thousands of years before the Hebrews became enslaved?

the jewish people were never enslaved, but they were occupied and dispersed by the neo-hitites several thousand years after the pyramids yes

that's actually where the enslavement under pharaoh story likely derived

See now, this is even more interesting! I think I heard that before and it's kind of fascinating to me how there was a shared cultural memory that existed for thousands of years until eventually it was written down in David's time. I'm sure anthropologists can explain cultural memory better than me, but it's really cool to me how humans define themselves based on who they think they are.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Weren't the people who built the pyramids more or less the ancient equivalent of a labor union or guild or something?

That was the other thing Dr. Zahi Hawass was super angry about all the time. If you dared suggest they were built by Hebrew slaves he would tear your still beating heart out and eat it infront of you.

Also, weren't the pyramids built like thousands of years before the Hebrews became enslaved?

the jewish people were never enslaved, but they were occupied and dispersed by the neo-hitites several thousand years after the pyramids yes

See now, this is even more interesting! I think I heard that before and it's kind of fascinating to me how there was a shared cultural memory that existed for thousands of years until eventually it was written down in David's time. I'm sure anthropologists can explain cultural memory better than me, but it's really cool to me how humans define themselves based on who they think they are.

david (if he existed) would've been prior to the occupation

his son, solomon, built the first temple which was razed by nebuchadnezzar

when cyrus the great concquered the babylonians and reintegrated the jewish peoples into judah and israel the second temple was built

EDIT: david was roughly 1000-900 bce, first temple was around 5 years after that, neo-babylonian (not hitite I was mistaken) was was around 600bce, and cyrus was 540

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Scientists at UCL developed a theoretical model of the missing two thids of the Antikythera mechanism based at least partially on mathematical models from ancient Greece

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2021/mar/experts-recreate-mechanical-cosmos-worlds-first-computer

This actually made me mad.

Not because of the actual figuring out of how it worked and how it would've looked, which was excellent, but the part about how the Greeks figured out that instead of intense calculations to figure out planetary motion, they could model it much more easily geometrically - as circles around the circular apparent motion of the sun. Meaning, they had figured out the heliocentric model for the solar system as a mathematical tool but didn't (wouldn't? couldn't?) take that next tiny logical leap to say "Earth isn't at the center - it's the sun." They had it all right there. They were so close. But then it would end up being another 1500-2000 years before anyone was willing to take that last step. Why? Or maybe, how? It's just frustrating to me.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    There were Greek astronomers who advocated for a heliocentric model

Aristarchus is the big one I believe

Pliny mentions it too I think

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited March 2021

when cyrus the great concquered the babylonians and reintegrated the jewish peoples into judah and israel the second temple was built

EDIT: david was roughly 1000-900 bce, first temple was around 5 years after that, neo-babylonian (not hitite I was mistaken) was was around 600bce, and cyrus was 540

Wait, now I'm more confused... admittedly I'm neither a biblical scholar nor a historian, but the events of Hebrew enslavement from Exodus came before the events of David's time from the Book of Samuel, so doesn't that mean the enslavement -- if it happened -- would have been before David's time? I had always thought the enslavement would have been done by the New Kingdom of Egypt.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Straightzi wrote: »

German wikipedia article on Aristarchus: Kopernikus explicitly cited him when proragating the heliocentric model > Kopernikus wiki article: He couldn't have know Aristarchus work on the heliocentric model because during his lifetime only Aristarchus' work on a geocentric model was known. Only secondhand sources via Archimedes were rediscovered after Kopernikus' death.

Good job Wikipedia.

honovere on
  • Options

Wait, now I'm more confused... admittedly I'm neither a biblical scholar nor a historian, but the events of Hebrew enslavement from Exodus came before the events of David's time from the Book of Samuel, so doesn't that mean the enslavement -- if it happened -- would have been before David's time? I had always thought the enslavement would have been done by the New Kingdom of Egypt.

the story of the enslavement under pharaoh (note: which pharaoh is never specified) and subsequent exodus occurred either around 1550 or 1250(rabinnical scholarship differs on when moses lived and historical scholarship generally agrees he was a legendary figure)

it likely originates during the occupation period around 600, possibly as a cultural justification for the construction of the second temple and reoccupation of the holy land

• Options
    edited March 2021
    cooooooooooooool. Meta history. I love it.

(Edit: By meta history, I mean a history as to why a historical account was told/written in the first place. Really cool stuff.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    the bible is a massive document from a multitude of sources spanning millennia that was put together to tell a very specific story

it contains numerous historically accurate and sometimes partially accurate stories, but it obviously also contains semi0legendary and legendary cultural tales, some of which also contain potential historic truths too

it's complicated

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAvbqtPjhxs

Why Everybody Disagrees on the Efficacy of the English Longbow – A Video Essay

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAvbqtPjhxs

Why Everybody Disagrees on the Efficacy of the English Longbow – A Video Essay

that's a silly and misleading title!

the efficacy is well understood, but more complicated than just can or cannot penetrate armor

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    the video goes into that actually

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    the video goes into that actually

Click baity title gonna click bait

• Options
    Them real deal longbows seem to require some sorta crazy technique all like leant over

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Not for nothing is it called a bow.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

I am slightly less angry now. Thank you.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Them real deal longbows seem to require some sorta crazy technique all like leant over

You gotta get the deformed skeleton from daily longbow practice to be really good at it I bet

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    There's a reason that the quote is “If you want to train a longbowman, start with his grandfather.”

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There was an interesting study done, back in the 20s, I think? Comparing English style D-profile longbows against the rectangular-profile "flat" style longbows, I'll see if I can find a summary.

• Options
    Funny the way your work can write its history with your bones, apparently you can tell which skeletons belonged to gamekeepers because they all have little spurs of bone on their thumb knuckles from pinching the vertebrae of small animals apart

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Funny the way your work can write its history with your bones, apparently you can tell which skeletons belonged to gamekeepers because they all have little spurs of bone on their thumb knuckles from pinching the vertebrae of small animals apart

I believe it was the Welsh bowmen whose skeletons appeared to have "jerked too much" arm, too

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

I believe it was the Welsh bowmen whose skeletons appeared to have "jerked too much" arm, too

I wonder if in 2000 years people will think the bones of discord moderators are the bones of bowmen

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yellowstone was not pristine untouched wilderness

The area was inhabited for millenia, and the Army literally chased Natives out of the area when the park was "made"

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/lost-history-yellowstone-180976518/

This discussion has been closed.