As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's New Consoles! XSX Nov 10, PS5 Nov 12

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Moss is good but not quite 'buy VR for this' good.

Most of the really interesting VR-only game mechanics I've seen on PC are mostly in little indie or early access things, I'm curious if any of those end up getting ported to PSVR if it ends up being room-scale.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's niche because it requires a fairly sizable financial investment, and some of the best content on the platform requires a ridiculous amount of physical space to best experience.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    it is niche because it's like, is this better than just making a normal 3D adventure game? the inability to smoothly move around environments without teleporting is a big negative to all the games that are trying to do 3D first person games but in VR to me.

Pretty much any VR game will have multiple locomotion modes, so you generally are able to choose between teleportation or free movement. At that point it's up to player comfort.

And speaking of Alyx, it's one of those things where just playing it in VR is the reason it works. Like, if you'd just make a regular version, you can play it and probably think it was just merely fine. The immersion of interacting with the game in VR is 90% of what elevates it. The Jeff chapter is one of the most memorable sequences I've ever played, and it wouldn't really be shit in non VR.

Zxerol on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    It's niche because it requires a fairly sizable financial investment, and some of the best content on the platform requires a ridiculous amount of physical space to best experience.

Not only that but you're also making a time, energy and social commitment every time you set it up to use.

there's a small handful of experiences that can be group ones but most of the time you've gotta setup all your gear and you're just gonna be dead to the world and taking up a bunch of space for your playtime

which is the number 1 reason i haven't touched my setup for almost a year

zkHcp.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    yeah i'd love to try some vr but fuck if i could do that with my dogs around

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I kind of feel like the current iteration of VR is still a baby and so the games being made for it are very shallow in their scope.

Like... VR doesn't feel like video games to me. It feels like a whole other thing.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I certainly havent played any of it but from what I've seen the immersive first person shooting in Alyx is like freaky shit I do not think I would like it but it looks like a particular thing unto itself

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I've gotten a lot of use out of my PSVR setup, some solo play and also pulling it out for game nights for Beat Saber etc the the same way we used to pass around a guitar for Guitar Hero.

I picked up the headset with 5 games for like $260AUD, the move controllers were about another $100AUD so to me it wasn't hard to justify compared to buying an Xbox or something instead.

The bigger investment was putting some time in to get comfortable with full locomotion without any motion sickness, which is why I'm now perfectly fine doing barrel rolls in an X-Wing but my wife (who does get motion sick pretty easily in cars and stuff) can only play Astro Bot in short doses because even the sections moving through levels on rails make her feel a little queasy.

In terms of experiences you can't do outside VR, so far I do think they are fairly limited but any first person game feels much more immersive and third person or fixed perspective stuff like Moss can also be so much more engaging. Iron Man VR would be an alright game in 'pancake mode' but the feeling of flying around, looking behind you and dodging fire elevates it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Trying out the next gen update for avengers, also haven’t played any of the new stuff, so far enjoyable enough. Very pretty and very smooth frame rate, still great combat, if only the loot system had been remotely interesting and there had been more enemy variety this game would’ve had something

I’m running the high quality true 4K mode, it says it’s 30 FPS but it looks like 60fps? Is that just the text still from the previous gen version?

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Astro Bot Rescue Mission is the best VR game I've ever played.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Lack of space is the reason I haven't pulled the VR trigger yet despite wanting to.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Lack of space is the reason I haven't pulled the VR trigger yet despite wanting to.

I've had ours for a while and yeah that's a good reason to hold off. We just don't have enough room and nowhere to gain any extra space from. We're enjoying it nevertheless but it's always keenly felt that we're not hitting full potential. There are a fair number of stationary experiences at least.

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Pulled up the order again today just to see if there was any update and I have a tracking number now! Hooray for my billing address screwup not causing it to cancel. So relieved to know I finally have a PS5 on the way.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I've heard from friends that don't actually have PS5 that it has serious issues with controller stick drift. I have experienced a bit of that with the Nintendo Switch Pro controller but they are fortunately easily rectified since that controller is easily disassembled/reassembled.

The wife got a bonus in addition to stimulus so I am thinking about getting in on the hunt but I wanted to see what some PS5 owners here have to say about the Mk1 model. Originally I was thinking about waiting for a Mk2 but with how slim electronic supplies are thanks to COVID, that feel like it might be years off.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So, while I don't see it confirmed anywhere, there's a strong rumor that the PS3 and PSVita stores will be permanently closed this year. With a lot of questions about what exactly that means. Obviously, all digital purchases - and therefore digital only games - will be done forever. The question remains on if that also means you can not re-download any previous purchases.

All that is to say - hell of a move when you're also trying to sell an all digital console.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I've heard from friends that don't actually have PS5 that it has serious issues with controller stick drift. I have experienced a bit of that with the Nintendo Switch Pro controller but they are fortunately easily rectified since that controller is easily disassembled/reassembled.

The wife got a bonus in addition to stimulus so I am thinking about getting in on the hunt but I wanted to see what some PS5 owners here have to say about the Mk1 model. Originally I was thinking about waiting for a Mk2 but with how slim electronic supplies are thanks to COVID, that feel like it might be years off.

My switch drifts like a motherfucker. I've replaced the sticks in both the original joycons.

No such problem with the PS5 after a few hundred hours use.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I have relatively persistent drift issues with the right stick on my PS5 controller, which aligns with the hubbub.

However, the issue isn't so severe, as it A) tends to arise when the controller is being used wirelessly and is low battery and B) is resolved by plugging it in and resetting the controller using the pin-hole button on the back of the controller.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I've had a PS5 since mid-December and I haven't noticed any controller issues so far.

I do have two controllers though.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The problem is that the joysticks for the entire past generation have been ass butt

And the current gen uses the same joysticks which are also ass butt

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I like the joyous sticks

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So, while I don't see it confirmed anywhere, there's a strong rumor that the PS3 and PSVita stores will be permanently closed this year. With a lot of questions about what exactly that means. Obviously, all digital purchases - and therefore digital only games - will be done forever. The question remains on if that also means you can not re-download any previous purchases.

All that is to say - hell of a move when you're also trying to sell an all digital console.

Those stores are horrible and I'm fairly certain some of them don't have a download history or a way to track what you previously bought, leaving anything not currently installed gone forever.

That's what happens when the people in charge have openly stated that they dont get why people would want to play an old game and see no value in preserving them. Buy god hand on your ps3s while you can

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    When I buy/download a game with a PS4 and PS5 version is there an easy way to make sure I’m on the PS5 version?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

they would be shutting down the download servers too probably

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    When I buy/download a game with a PS4 and PS5 version is there an easy way to make sure I’m on the PS5 version?

mhb39ndlyr1p.jpg

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I figured that was it...that means I downloaded the wrong versions of Immortals and Valhalla

edited March 2021
    Ok that isn’t accurate.

When I click on Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla it says PS4 Full Version

If I click on that it asks me to download

Otherwise if I just leave it it says PS5 on top.

So the option like that should only show up if neither or both are installer. Otherwise it will show you the OTHER option there.

NEVERMIND

I found the right place to look

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Those stores are horrible and I'm fairly certain some of them don't have a download history or a way to track what you previously bought, leaving anything not currently installed gone forever.

That's what happens when the people in charge have openly stated that they dont get why people would want to play an old game and see no value in preserving them. Buy god hand on your ps3s while you can

There are two ways to download previous purchases and there is a way to check your purchase history.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

Also I believe there's a setting in your PSN account that's like "always download PS5 version where available"

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular

There are two ways to download previous purchases and there is a way to check your purchase history.

I expected the vita to have it since it's a little more modern but I didnt recall the ps3 and PSP storefront having good options there unless I'm mistaken

7yh4xczljsym.png
    #pipe wrote: »
    Also I believe there's a setting in your PSN account that's like "always download PS5 version where available"

Ok, I need to find this setting ASAP

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Remember when everyone made fun of Microsoft for making a big deal about "smart delivery"?

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    People thought "smart delivery" was self-explanatory, the full depths of "dumb delivery" had not been explored.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The PS5 interface needs some heavy work, especially when it comes to PS4/PS5 installs and leaving weird remnants of games that you uninstalled all over the main screen.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    That option not just being the default is crazy to me.

If I buy a game that has both a ps4 and ps5 version, why would I want to download the ps4 version to my ps5?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

If I buy a game that has both a ps4 and ps5 version, why would I want to download the ps4 version to my ps5?

To convert your cloud PS4 save to PS5 through whatever arcane system that specific game made up for it.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

To convert your cloud PS4 save to PS5 through whatever arcane system that specific game made up for it.

I don't have any playstations, so I haven't experienced this, but I'm curious. Is this a thing for all games with both PS4 and PS5 versions or are there also games where it Just Works™?

Peewi wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »

I don't have any playstations, so I haven't experienced this, but I'm curious. Is this a thing for all games with both PS4 and PS5 versions or are there also games where it Just Works™?

It depends. AC: Valhalla is the only one where I don't remember some involved process.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Remember when everyone made fun of Microsoft for making a big deal about "smart delivery"?

I feel like this shit has less vindicated microsoft and more impugned sony

There's really no reason for this to be as stupid as they've made it

Maddoc wrote: »

I feel like this shit has less vindicated microsoft and more impugned sony

There's really no reason for this to be as stupid as they've made it

Control is the worst one. It originally went up with cross-saves, disabled them, and forced you to buy the Ultimate edition if you wanted a PS5 version.

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Damn was hoping they would have forgotten about P.T.

p1uyfxbxx2uq.jpg

Edit: Stupid moblie making it upside down. Oh well.
    Editx2: Fixed

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
This discussion has been closed.