As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professional Container Ship Drift Racing

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited March 2021 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5IKbYcLgQA

OOOOHHHH YEAAAAAHHHH!

cdr5zdf4ncgc.png

OOOOHHHH NOOOOOOOOO!

vwh9ogciiba2.png

So the Suez canal has been blocked for a day or two by a wedged container ship that was drawing dicks before entering

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    evergreen post

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Are they pretending they got hacked, or are the people in charge running?

• Options
    I am hearing "there was a power failure in high wind. it's not our fault. we definitely weren't drinking heavily."

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This thread title is very misleading.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    these ship pilots make massive amounts of money (nearly 1m/year salary last I heard)

and I assume MOST of that salary is based on the idea that they will not tremendously fuck up like this

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    If I were the captain, as soon as the ship lurched to a halt, I'm jumping off the side, swimming to shore and finding myself a nice comfy spot in the middle of fucking nowhere to live out the rest of my days under an assumed name.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    these ship pilots make massive amounts of money (nearly 1m/year salary last I heard)

and I assume MOST of that salary is based on the idea that they will not tremendously fuck up like this

Depends on what flag the ship is flying under, a lot of countries wildly underpay these people.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    A friend's dad was the head of safety for maritime shipping operations for an oil company, and he once explained to me that his pay was higher than other comparable executive positions because it was understood that if there was ever some fuckup at sea he would be the one to fall (or, rather, get forcibly thrown) onto his sword and get fired and blamed for the incident.

So spare a thought today for whoever has that job at this company.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Since they're under the Panamanian flag I just imagine them drunkenly drawing the dick and balls and then screaming Panama Canal Rules and Suez Canal Drools, then they try and spin the boat in a 360 to show off, but run aground. Whoops.
    It was the wine. Wind. It was the wind.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad someone linked the Internet Historian in the youtube channel a few weeks back. The episode on the Costa Concordia is pretty enlightening regarding these ship captains. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    There's "I fucked up," and there's "I fucked up in a manner visible from orbit, paralyzing ten percent of global commerce in the process."

I am seriously enjoying the fact that I have nothing whatsoever in the least tiniest way to do with fixing that.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "what do you mean there's a reason we aren't legally supposed to send a ship this big through the canal"

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Really seemed like more of a suggestion than a hard set rule.

Whoops!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Is this what people mean by channeling a "big dick energy"

Peas on
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    "what do you mean there's a reason we aren't legally supposed to send a ship this big through the canal"

"SuezMAX? We thought you were asking if we wanted Tex-Mex. Which we didn't because we have important boat business in the waters."

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    If I were the captain, as soon as the ship lurched to a halt, I'm jumping off the side, swimming to shore and finding myself a nice comfy spot in the middle of fucking nowhere to live out the rest of my days under an assumed name.

on the other hand, you have quite a healthy set of options for cargo containers to hide out in

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I wonder what the break point is for turning ships around to go around Africa to the Atlantic and vice versa.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    if anyone wants live updates on the situation (or to see where nearly every ship around the world is at any given point)

then this site is cool as hell. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:32.581/centery:30.015/zoom:16

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    ExPJdV_WgAYGHcM.gif

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I already posted that! but linked it because I couldn't see the file size and was worried about it being too big!

Also when the I saw the photo yesterday it was my instant thought.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This is real dumb, but like the right kind of dumb where it fills my heart with penis shaped warmth.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Qh9KBwqGxTI

Hmm...Did they let Schettino out of prison early?

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    This is almost as good as Tom Sexton's story of how he fell a sleep shift at a water purification plant

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I know a little something about taking big ships through canals, even been through the Suez, and um... that’s not so good! Would not recommend.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Can someone please explain why the ship is said to be called Ever Given while having Ever Green written on the side

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Evergreen is the operating company. Ever Given is the name of the ship.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Evergreen is the owning company, Ever Given is the ship's name

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Tweeter is a researcher with university of toronto and tweet is showing pictures indicating the ship buried it's "bulbous bow" in the shore

very good drifting

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Evergreen is the operating company. Ever Given is the name of the ship.

That's very confusing!

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    In some pictures you can see that it says "Ever Given" in smaller letters near the front of the ship.

I was confused by the name at first too.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    if anyone wants live updates on the situation (or to see where nearly every ship around the world is at any given point)

then this site is cool as hell. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:32.581/centery:30.015/zoom:16

Hey, according to this, the icon for the Ever Given is a circle. I wonder what that means?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Hey, according to this, the icon for the Ever Given is a circle. I wonder what that means?

I think it's just not loading correctly, when I was checking it out last night it had the same green irregular pentagon icon as the other container ships

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    No fucks Ever Given

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    ExMXBRiVkAAmooc.png

Someone: I'm helping!

• Options
    it's Canada's time to shine

https://youtu.be/TVY8LoM47xI

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Imagine if it sunk...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    the ship buried it's "bulbous bow" in the shore

who among us has not