As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW on linux again help

ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morningAnd the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2021 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey so a while back I made a thread about trying to run WoW Classic on linux, and Lutris was recommended. It worked really well, and I'm not sure how, but it did.

Then one of my drives died, my computer shit the bed, and I was without it for more than a month. I played on my windows laptop for awhile, it was fine. Eventually and with much struggle my computer was rebuilt, and when I went to reinstall this stuff learned that Vulkan was both required and uncooperative.

Then my husband tried to install WoW and he thinks he installed something in the wrong order because it pretends it's going to load up and then doesn't.

I asked him last week if he could get it set up over the weekend, and he replied that it would literally be easier to reinstall the entire OS than to try to work out what happened with WoW and fix it. I have to assume this is hyperbole, but I did try to fiddle a bit myself and I'm not sure anymore. Much of the info out there about issues with Vulkan is for previous versions of the OS.

I don't know if anyone happens to have any experience with Linux (MATE), WoW, Lutris, and Vulkan, but if you do and have any ideas please help.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
ceres on

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    When your computer was rebuilt, did you change the video card?

EDIT: Also installing Linux on a PC with supported hardware is beyond simple. He's probably not being all that hyperbolic.

V1m on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm going to have him recount this tonight. I know he's put a lot of time into it, and he kinda tried to explain to me what happened, but all my brain took away from it was "I must have done something in the wrong order."

I have a fine laptop I can play on as long as I don't have the graphics settings too high, but my computer is just infinity times nicer.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah the funny thing with linux is something in the wrong order fucks with the build system of everything after it, so rather than unravel that fucking mess it's usually easier to go from scratch sometimes.

It's almost easier to use something like unraid and just use a windows VM and give it a dedicated video card than deal with lutris and shitty drivers and all that nonsense.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2021
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah the funny thing with linux is something in the wrong order fucks with the build system of everything after it, so rather than unravel that fucking mess it's usually easier to go from scratch sometimes.

No this is not what I want to hear, you're supposed to be on my side.

I know it has something to do with my video card, or at least the display part does, but I think we reinstalled the OS a few times in attempt to fix it. I don't remember if the fussy card is the one that's still in there.

As far as WoW going "nah" after I start it up, no warning message or anything, that's definitely new because I haven't tried to play it again till very recently. IIRC battle.net will start, just not load anything, and trying to load without the launcher does nothing. Last time I tried to use a VM the result was not great. I really like Lutris, once you get it working it just works, but like.. getting to that stage... maybe it's just because running WoW has some extra dependencies from other games, or maybe there's a redirect issue, I dunno.

I'll get him to respond, and I'll fiddle myself again tonight when I get a chance, although I would hate to mess it up more.

ceres on
    @Thawmus might have some insights he's the resident linux gamer I know about. Could be as simple as adding an extra repo for commercial drivers for the video card and it solves all the problems.

I really hate linux as my personal pc at home.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So for starters:

What kind of video card are you using? AMD or Nvidia? Also what model, because the latest AMD cards have been kind of a bitch to get working (my 6800 was a pain in the ass to get working properly, and there's a whole big post in the linux thread about this).

Secondly, if you run
    vulkaninfo > ~/Documents/vulkaninfo.txt

can you grab the contents of that txt file (find in your Documents folder or wherever else you decide to put it) and post them here?

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited March 2021
    From System Info:
    Graphics: Device-1: AMD Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X] vendor: PC Partner Limited
    driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.0 chip ID: 1002:6798
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
    compositor: marco resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.50.0 5.4.0-66-generic LLVM 11.0.1)
    v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.4 - kisak-mesa PPA direct render: Yes

Here is the whole report:
    System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 
               wm: marco dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
    Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B550M DS3H v: x.x serial: <filter> 
               UEFI: American Megatrends v: F1 date: 05/14/2020 
    CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 
               L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
               flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 86237 
               Speed: 2184 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2196 2: 2196 3: 4188 
               4: 2085 5: 2196 6: 2095 7: 4183 8: 2096 9: 2195 10: 2195 11: 2196 12: 2090 
    Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X] vendor: PC Partner Limited 
               driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.0 chip ID: 1002:6798 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
               compositor: marco resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.50.0 5.4.0-66-generic LLVM 11.0.1) 
               v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.4 - kisak-mesa PPA direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: AMD Tahiti HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7870 XT / 7950/7970] 
               vendor: PC Partner Limited driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.1 
               chip ID: 1002:aaa0 
               Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel 
               v: kernel bus ID: 0c:00.4 chip ID: 1022:1487 
               Device-3: Logitech QuickCam OEM Cisco VT Camera II type: USB 
               driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo bus ID: 1-6:6 chip ID: 046d:08c7 
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-66-generic 
    Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte 
               driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 09:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
               IF: enp9s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 2.97 TiB used: 1.60 TiB (53.8%) 
               ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital model: WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 size: 931.51 GiB 
               speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> 
               ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Mushkin model: MKNSSDRE1TB size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s 
               serial: <filter> 
               ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Mushkin model: MKNSSDRE1TB size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s 
               serial: <filter> 
               ID-4: /dev/sdc type: USB model: Ut165 USB2FlashStorage size: 3.77 GiB serial: <filter> 
               ID-5: /dev/sdd type: USB model: External USB3.0 size: 238.47 GiB serial: <filter> 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 343.09 GiB (37.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
    USB:       Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 10 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
               Device-1: 1-5:14 info: SHARKOON 2.4G Mouse type: Mouse driver: hid-generic,usbhid 
               rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1ea7:0064 
               Device-2: 1-6:6 info: Logitech QuickCam OEM Cisco VT Camera II type: <vendor specific> 
               driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo rev: 2.0 chip ID: 046d:08c7 
               Device-3: 1-7:11 info: Transcend Information 2GB/4GB/8GB Flash Drive type: Mass Storage 
               driver: usb-storage rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1307:0165 
               Device-4: 1-10:8 info: Integrated Express ITE Device type: HID 
               driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 2.0 chip ID: 048d:5702 
               Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 3.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0003 
               Device-5: 2-3:2 info: JMicron / JMicron USA JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge type: Mass Storage 
               driver: uas rev: 3.0 chip ID: 152d:0578 
               Hub: 3-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
               Hub: 4-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 3.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0003 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.2 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 16 C 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list 
               1: deb https: //dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kisak-kisak-mesa-focal.list 
               1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/kisak/kisak-mesa/ubuntu focal main
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lunarg-vulkan-1.2.162-focal.list 
               1: deb https: //packages.lunarg.com/vulkan/1.2.162 focal main
               2: deb-src https: //packages.lunarg.com/vulkan/1.2.162 focal main
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lutris-team-lutris-focal.list 
               1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/lutris-team/lutris/ubuntu focal main
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
               1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com ulyana main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
               2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
               3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
               4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
               5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
               6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list 
               1: deb http: //repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
    Info:      Processes: 333 Uptime: 29d 32m Memory: 31.37 GiB used: 8.40 GiB (26.8%) Init: systemd 
               v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Client: Unknown python3.8 client 
               inxi: 3.0.38 

It's telling me there's an update to 20.1, I used to just do these but I'm scared now. I absolutely love MATE, it just makes my life better.

When I open up vulkaninfo.txt in a text editor there is nothing. Literally nothing, it's blank and the file uses 0 bytes. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the case, but here we are.

ceres on
    Try just running vulkaninfo on its own, see if there's any output.

I want to say there was an nvidia card, and I can't remember if it's the old one or the new one and we just couldn't get it working so we put this one back. My husband physically put in the screws in this thing, he'll know the deal when he gets home.

Hey what's this file called VULKAN ERRORS

edited March 2021
    ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_intel.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
    ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
    amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.
    WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : terminator_CreateInstance: Failed to CreateInstance in ICD 0. Skipping ICD.
    ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools-1.2.162.1~rc1-1lunarg20.04/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:248:vkEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

He may have made this last time he threw up his hands.

ceres on
    ...There is no vulkaninfo. I ran a search of my computer and only found the empty .txt file.

• Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    This is what happened.

I built a new PC (Ryzen 3600 and GeForce RTX 2060, replacing I7-4820K and Radeon 290)

Step 0: Although it took a long while due to hardware issues, got the original OS working fine on the new hardware with the original SATA drive. I thought this would be the difficult part! I was a fool.
    Step 1: Copy Image of SATA SSD to NVME M.2 Drive using DD. Success! Won't boot, gives random error.
    Step 2: Update BIOS GRUB2 to UEFI GRUB2. System boots into GRUB but then can't find the system (drive).
    Step 3: Install Linux Mint 20 onto NVME M.2 drive and copy over /Home folder. This doesn't preserve any program settings, so deleted.
    Step 4: Give up on copying /Home folder and program settings, Install Lutris anyways just to test things out.
    Step 5: Discover that the Free drivers for GeForce are unusable for VULKAN, install NVIDIA drivers.
    Step 6: Discover that NVIDIA official drivers don't ever load because there is no secure boot environment.
    Step 7: Install GRUB2 again with secure boot UEFI support.
    Step 8: Mint 20 no longer boots. Reinstalled Mint 20.
    Step 9: Mint 20 works again, but there's no secure boot so the NVIDIA official drivers resume unloading themselves at boot time.
    Step 10: Discover that Mint 20 doesn't support 32-bit driver libraries so Lutris/WINE can't ever work.
    Step 11: Install Mint 19
    Step 12: Fix the 32-bit libraries problem, then remember that NVIDIA drivers still don't load so re-install Radeon 290 card.
    Step 13: Didn't remember to remove NVIDIA drivers so Linux Mint boots to a black screen.
    Step 14: Remove NVIDIA drivers. Install freeware Radeon drivers.
    Step 15: Get various Lutris/WINE errors and figure that maybe installing AMD Radeon drivers is a good idea.
    Step 16: AMD Radeon drivers remain a good idea, but official support is for Mint 16-18. Installation involved manually tweaking the install script to support Mint 19. This eventually succeeds... but...
    Step 17: AMD Radeon drivers don't support VULKAN for the R290 series, or any other Hawaii/older video card. So it would have worked, but doesn't, so uninstall AMD drivers. But supposedly there's better AMD video card support in Mint 20.
    Step 18: Install Mint 20. (again)
    Step 19: Discover some program setting can be copied from one drive to another, do so, and break Chrome and Vivaldi.
    Step 20: Re-install Chrome and Vivaldi, and manage to recover some session data. Success!
    Step 21: Re-install VULKAN (again) for the Linux Radeon driver.
    Step 22: Extensive testing shows that games don't work, usually with a "can't find video card" error. VULKAN now tests as completely fine but Lutris/WINE doesn't see it.
    Step 23: I give up on figuring stuff out. Randomly poke through Synaptic Package manager to see if there's anything VULKAN to see. I discover that DXVK is not installed in Synaptic even though I've followed the VULKAN install process 500 times to the letter. SUCCESS!
    Step 24: No, not really. Lutris/WINE now "sees" VULKAN and everything is hunky dory except... WOW. Battle.Net? Fine. City of Heroes? Fine. WOW itself? "No video card" error. "Please install a 3D accellerator with dual-TMU support" OFC this is the one game I need working.

Problems:
    1) WOW doesn't work even though most other games I test do. This is the most important game.
    2) City of Heroes 64-bit pukes. Since 32-bit works for now, that's lower priority, but eventually it would be nice to get that working.
    3) Everything I've spent the last 6 months working on is only relevant because I can't figure out how to clone a SATA SSD to a NVME SSD. According to Google no one in the history of ever has seen fit to upgrade a Mint drive to M.2. Assuming I can find an answer to cloning a Legacy drive to a UEFI drive, all of the above is completely academic.

Thanks for reading, and the help, and let me know if I can answer specific questions. I'm not sure of some of the troubleshooting details, but the above is accurate to what I can remember.

EDIT: Additional thought. I'm pretty sure that if there's a way to load the GeForce official drivers (and keep them loaded post-boot), there would be better DXVK support and things would generally be easier better supported with a RTX 2060.

If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd appreciate it.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
    edited March 2021
    ...After posting and then reading back through the thread he informs me that I have Hawaii and NOT Tahiti like the report says I do and that we do not nor have we ever owned a Tahiti card. I'm not sure if that matters, it really seems like it should matter, but he assures me it doesn't.

ceres on
    Yeah there's definitely something fucky going on with that card identification. In particular:
    amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.

This is what happened.

I built a new PC (Ryzen 3600 and GeForce RTX 2060, replacing I7-4820K and Radeon 290)

Step 0: Although it took a long while due to hardware issues, got the original OS working fine on the new hardware with the original SATA drive. I thought this would be the difficult part! I was a fool.
    Step 1: Copy Image of SATA SSD to NVME M.2 Drive using DD. Success! Won't boot, gives random error.
    Step 2: Update BIOS GRUB2 to UEFI GRUB2. System boots into GRUB but then can't find the system (drive).
    Step 3: Install Linux Mint 20 onto NVME M.2 drive and copy over /Home folder. This doesn't preserve any program settings, so deleted.
    Step 4: Give up on copying /Home folder and program settings, Install Lutris anyways just to test things out.
    Step 5: Discover that the Free drivers for GeForce are unusable for VULKAN, install NVIDIA drivers.
    Step 6: Discover that NVIDIA official drivers don't ever load because there is no secure boot environment.
    Step 7: Install GRUB2 again with secure boot UEFI support.
    Step 8: Mint 20 no longer boots. Reinstalled Mint 20.
    Step 9: Mint 20 works again, but there's no secure boot so the NVIDIA official drivers resume unloading themselves at boot time.
    Step 10: Discover that Mint 20 doesn't support 32-bit driver libraries so Lutris/WINE can't ever work.
    Step 11: Install Mint 19
    Step 12: Fix the 32-bit libraries problem, then remember that NVIDIA drivers still don't load so re-install Radeon 290 card.
    Step 13: Didn't remember to remove NVIDIA drivers so Linux Mint boots to a black screen.
    Step 14: Remove NVIDIA drivers. Install freeware Radeon drivers.
    Step 15: Get various Lutris/WINE errors and figure that maybe installing AMD Radeon drivers is a good idea.
    Step 16: AMD Radeon drivers remain a good idea, but official support is for Mint 16-18. Installation involved manually tweaking the install script to support Mint 19. This eventually succeeds... but...
    Step 17: AMD Radeon drivers don't support VULKAN for the R290 series, or any other Hawaii/older video card. So it would have worked, but doesn't, so uninstall AMD drivers. But supposedly there's better AMD video card support in Mint 20.
    Step 18: Install Mint 20. (again)
    Step 19: Discover some program setting can be copied from one drive to another, do so, and break Chrome and Vivaldi.
    Step 20: Re-install Chrome and Vivaldi, and manage to recover some session data. Success!
    Step 21: Re-install VULKAN (again) for the Linux Radeon driver.
    Step 22: Extensive testing shows that games don't work, usually with a "can't find video card" error. VULKAN now tests as completely fine but Lutris/WINE doesn't see it.
    Step 23: I give up on figuring stuff out. Randomly poke through Synaptic Package manager to see if there's anything VULKAN to see. I discover that DXVK is not installed in Synaptic even though I've followed the VULKAN install process 500 times to the letter. SUCCESS!
    Step 24: No, not really. Lutris/WINE now "sees" VULKAN and everything is hunky dory except... WOW. Battle.Net? Fine. City of Heroes? Fine. WOW itself? "No video card" error. "Please install a 3D accellerator with dual-TMU support" OFC this is the one game I need working.

Problems:
    1) WOW doesn't work even though most other games I test do. This is the most important game.
    2) City of Heroes 64-bit pukes. Since 32-bit works for now, that's lower priority, but eventually it would be nice to get that working.
    3) Everything I've spent the last 6 months working on is only relevant because I can't figure out how to clone a SATA SSD to a NVME SSD. According to Google no one in the history of ever has seen fit to upgrade a Mint drive to M.2. Assuming I can find an answer to cloning a Legacy drive to a UEFI drive, all of the above is completely academic.

Thanks for reading, and the help, and let me know if I can answer specific questions. I'm not sure of some of the troubleshooting details, but the above is accurate to what I can remember.

EDIT: Additional thought. I'm pretty sure that if there's a way to load the GeForce official drivers (and keep them loaded post-boot), there would be better DXVK support and things would generally be easier better supported with a RTX 2060.

If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd appreciate it.

Okay, so a few things:

Step 3: Why didn't the program settings come over with /home? Is it possible you didn't copy it recursively or something? Sometimes I've seen people copy /home and somehow miss the hidden .config directories, I'm wondering if that's what happened?

Step 6+7, I haven't run into this before, I usually don't install with UEFI because UEFI gets all fucky with my linux installations. How did you install the Nvidia proprietary drivers? The easiest most fool-proof way is through the gui driver manager, and selecting the latest Nvidia driver from the list. I've got a lot of nvidia in the field and this is how I've been doing it, every other method has led to hair-pulling.

Step 10, Mint 20 should have multiarch support, but I haven't used it for a year or so. If they've dropped it, time to move onto another distro, honestly. You can always install Mate or Cinnamon on Ubuntu or some other distro.

If I were you, I'd back up the /home, make sure the .config directories are intact on your backup, reinstall the 2060, reinstall Mint 20 without UEFI (and disable all the keys and secure boot shit in the bios before you do), toggle the Nvidia proprietary driver (I think it's 430 now) in the driver manager, and then do all the prelim stuff in the lutris WoW guide, before you do anything else, as that's all the DXVK and Vulkan enabling schtuff.

His new job has a real firewall so I'm posting on his behalf.
    You're correct, I had no idea that .config folders were a thing. When I went back and restored the Vivaldi (web browser) specific data, I got an error saying that the KeyRing needed a password, and this spawns continuously until you close the program.

Interestingly, clearing the KeyRing (which I presume has something to do with saved passwords) breaks all kinds of things inside the browser.

I can't *not* install UEFI because this is a nice new NVME/PCIe M.2 2280 form factor Flash drive. Legacy install is literally not an option - I've tried doing this manually as a test and it won't boot after the install.

Mint 20 does have multiarch support... kind of. What is broken is multiarch for Video Card Drivers. After all, no native Linux app is ever going to need 32-bit acceleration, but WINE sure does!

I don't recall that the driver manager for the RTX 2060 ever listed the proprietary driver, I had to download it myself. That said, I can try again and look - assuming that I'm allowed to blow up the current OS and replace it with the backup from Aug 2020.

Thanks for the thoughts! If you can direct me to performing a Legacy boot install on an NVME drive I'd like to see it - it's very possible that the Mint installer was making choices for me that I missed.

I'll have to check later today, but I could have sworn I installed as legacy on my NVME on my new gaming rig, I'm not sure.

Anyways, yeah, the installer never asks you. It all depends on how you booted the install media. If you booted the install media via Legacy, it installs a legacy bootloader. If you booted the install media via UEFI, it installs as UEFI. The bios boot menu should have the option to choose one over the other, if legacy booting is enabled.

Last night he was like "well, what do you say, another reinstall? it shouldn't take long this time" and I was like "sure"

And then he was like "I mean your computer" and I was like "I have a headache"

So I think we're going to try to get this done tonight if he can be bothered to spend his Friday night hovering over a linux install, and possibly putting the better video card back in. I'm just nervous it won't work, but frankly I'm not using it so much the way it is anyway. I haven't wanted to get too attached and have it go again. I'm a little funny about my computer.

I get it. I haven't run updates on my gaming PC for a while because the amd driver install was such a fucking triumph I'm afraid the bubble gum and tissue paper will come apart.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    IDK if this might be relevant? https://github.com/Kron4ek/Conty
    Contains many libraries and packages so it can run almost everything. And you don't need to install anything on your main (host) system. You can even run 32-bit applications on pure 64-bit systems.

V1m on
  • Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    V1m wrote: »
    IDK if this might be relevant? https://github.com/Kron4ek/Conty
    Contains many libraries and packages so it can run almost everything. And you don't need to install anything on your main (host) system. You can even run 32-bit applications on pure 64-bit systems.

Thanks, V1m, I'll check it out now, but we're talking about 32-bit video acceleration for WINE. I'm fairly certain that multi-arch is needed for the Mint side, but I could be wrong? The sources I've checked, predictably, all disagree on that.

EDIT: This is the main source I'm using for getting things running (it worked for me - once - back on Mint 19 MATE) - https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/InstallingDrivers.md

Let me know if that's outdated, or if there's a better driver install guide.

Great Scott on
    I honestly think that's outdated, I've not had to add a ppa for nvidia proprietary drivers for a long time now, they've kept upstream pretty up-to-date these days. The only time that's ever been necessary was when upstream was lagging seriously behind, about 6 years ago. Maybe Mint's upstream is a different story? It should all be pretty much the same as Ubuntu's.

You should be able to just select the driver from driver manager, like in the first screenshot here: https://itsfoss.com/nvidia-linux-mint/

This might be completely beyond my ken as I don't have any RTX 2080's to reproduce what you're running into. Don't be afraid to kick this over to /r/linux_gaming as well (though stick to their weekly tech support thread), but be prepared to hear and immediately discard answers that you're using Nvidia and you're using the wrong company's hardware, they're full of shit. People have been using 3080's on linux since they released 6-ish months ago.

My only other suggestion would be to just get away from Mint and try Ubuntu with either the Mate flavor or install the Cinnamon desktop post-install and just remove Mint from the equation. I like Mint a lot but I vaguely remember having all sorts of corner issues with it when I was gaming on it, and eventually had to say goodbye.

edited March 2021
    I'll reload the OS onto a thumbdrive to test, but IIRC neither AMD nor NVIDIA drivers ever appear in Driver Manager. Is far as I can tell from the Mint 20 installer nothing seems to ever trigger any entries in it.

Ubuntu with MATE is a good idea, but I've been mentally scarred by "just change your UI" too many times in the past to feel comfortable doing that.

I've reached my lifetime limit of staring at a blinking cursor on a otherwise black screen while reading up on XORG statements on my cellphone.

Great Scott on
    I hear ya, man.

But yeah, Ubuntu Mate has its own install package and it's actually what I give the vast majority of our users at work.

Personally I've just been using plain Ubuntu for my gaming PC but that's mostly because I find the most help resources that way. I know a lot of people recommend Arch or Manjaro, but honestly that feels like motorcycling naked, to me. Yeah, it's cool, and yeah, you can do it, but man you do not feel safe.

I didn't know that there was a Ubuntu+MATE distro. I'll give that a try, just because it's more popular and hopefully easier to support.

Interestingly, one of the reasons I went with Mint back in 2013 is that it's largely identical to Ubuntu already and most of the troubleshooting is the same for both.

edited March 2021
    Welp, this is a waste of my time on this Earth.

Backing up a home drive! How hard can it be? Apparently, a 50-hour project.

So, I can't copy from Caja because every 4th file has a Question Mark or Asterisk and that breaks the copy. After struggling with why this is a problem when the file is clearly fine for a long time, I figured I'd just .TAR everything into an archive and copy THAT.

Open Caja as Administrator, Right-Click, Compress, Pick Options, Go!

"An error occurred while adding files to this archive."
    "Error opening directory "root/ConfigBackup': No such file or directory."

Well, no shit, it's in /Home/User. So why the hell is Caja looking for it in Root in the first place? The Internet... doesn't know.

Apparently zipping up a Home folder isn't something anyone's done before?

(Yes, it did already occur to me to *not* open Caja as admin. That might work, but it sure doesn't show all the files I need to copy...)

EDIT: For future reference, the destination USB drive was formatted NTFS... which I didn't notice because it worked seamlessly. The sticking point: special characters in file names works in EXT4, and NTFS, but doesn't when you try to copy between them.

Ubuntu MATE is pretty nice, I'll be moving to this in the future instead of Mint - thanks again for the suggestion.

Great Scott on
    something something special characters and now there is an installation happening

edited March 2021
    Thanks for all the help everyone! Moving to Unbuntu/Focal Fossa and then overwriting the user Home folder with all (hidden) files fixed everything.

Lutris took about 15 minutes to start the first time, but that was the only hiccup. Moving to the new drive achieved!

Great Scott on
    edited March 2021
    Lutris is being... weird. It is incredibly slow, takes forever to start, hangs easily (it eventually catches up I think?), and for the ridonkulous speed of this computer that doesn't seem like it should be an issue.

Is this something reinstalling it will fix, or is it some setting somewhere I can change and everything will be fine? It instantaneously loads all 144 of my open tabs, not sure why starting Lutris would be a problem.

Also strangely, when I RDP into this machine from the laptop I've been using there is no evidence that anything Lutris has ever existed on here. That's not something I'm too worried about because the laptop is on wireless and gaming that way would be literal insanity, it's just kind of weird and annoying.

ceres on
    I'd run lutris from command line with the -d switch to see if there's any errors. My guess is that there's an issue with something brought over from the previous install. A quick googling shows there's a whole bunch of different things that can make it run that way, just gotta run it in debug mode and see what's up.