As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Im interested in the small truck based off the bronco chassis. The marauder? Gimme dem small trucks!

Might I interest you in a Toyota Hilux N80? Small truck size, medium truck power, big Toyota energy.

If I could buy a hilux in the US it would be tempting. As it is, US toyotas are getting a bit long in tooth. I think they were supposed to get a big drivetrain refresh this year?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Taco refresh is coming but not sure when, I’ll be getting a development mule to work on later this year. Tundra is coming first.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im still pining for the Hyundai light truck. The exact amount of truck I need at a price I can afford. Id love a new ridgeline, but they are about 10k out of my pricerange.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I'd at least wait for the non sport Bronco, anyway.

Oh yeah, I'm holding out for the real deal. Everything about the Sport seems like it's for people who don't wanna deal with big potholes on dirt road access trails. Perfectly fine if that's what you want, but I want to hit some of the real gnarly off road stuff here in Washington.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Porsche Motorsport
    @PorscheRaces
    ·
    9h
    #NLS - Very sad to hear that Sabine Schmitz (1969-2021) has passed away. The "Queen of Nordschleife" was a crowd favourite due to her open, humorous way. The two-time
    @24hNBR
    winner was an icon at the wheel of the #Frikadelli #Porsche. Our sympathy goes to her family and friends

apparently it was a long-term battle with cancer

but damn, she was such a cool lady, I remember watching some of her live runs on the ring after she was on Top Gear

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    https://youtu.be/1LZp828KEGk

Hoonigan is moving out of the Donut Garage in Long Beach and into a much larger facility in Compton. They don't state the square footage of the new place but it's massive, and they'll be bringing back their Daily Transmission videos which means a lot of tiresmoke in the future.

They've also got a storewide 50% off sale on merch and they're selling off cars that are just sitting in the lot at the Donut Garage, including a K20-swapped Accord, a couple of Merkurs, some pickups and more.

jgeis on

The team at The Drive has managed to track down Ford's super cool, turbine powered Big Red semi truck, which had been "lost" for around 40 years.

The TLDR on this thing is that it debuted at the 1964 World's Fair, with futuristic styling inside and out and a gas turbine that put out 600hp, and then went on a cross country tour. After that it ended up in the hands of Holman-Moody which was Ford's factory sponsored racing team at the time. They sold it to the current, anonymous owner in the early '80s and he undertook a full restoration including installing a newer Ford gas turbine powerplant to replace the original which had suffered catastrophic failure. It hasn't been driven since 2000 but is still in excellent condition and stored in a custom built garage on the owner's property.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    O to have doin stuff money.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    That one’s super weird to me cause like... you don’t drive it? All the trouble to restore it and find a new powerplant and you don’t even wanna like, tool around on Saturday afternoons?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    That one’s super weird to me cause like... you don’t drive it? All the trouble to restore it and find a new powerplant and you don’t even wanna like, tool around on Saturday afternoons?

There are some road legality/license issues given that it's a semi truck.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Oh I get that and it sounds like there’s emissions issues too, it’s just super odd to me to undertake a project like that if you’re not gonna drive the thing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Oh I get that and it sounds like there’s emissions issues too, it’s just super odd to me to undertake a project like that if you’re not gonna drive the thing

Some people want a museum piece. I can dig it. I build Lego then display them, not tear them back down into a tub to make other things. This truck was this guys Lego set. Now for things like cars and stuff, I'm a driver, so if I rebuilt a car I would certainly get it back on the road if it was safe.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

There are some road legality/license issues given that it's a semi truck.

Prototypes and concepts are rarely fully functional, may not be physically drivable, and usually barely held together even if they're not a literal plywood mockup. Even if it has all the mechanical bits to drive it and you didn't care about the safety issues, it may not have a VIN number to be able to register/license it for road use. He could shuffle it back and forth to car shows, but itself being a semi, it'd be rather difficult to transport.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    I came up with a fun/dumb game to play at work last week. Figured maybe some of you all would enjoy it or could play, too.

Using cars.com/research what 2021 model would you take for no more than $19000 usd MSRP? Trim and options are acceptable as long as the price stays under. Delivery fee is excluded and also bullshit.

The very scientific results we got (only a few people actually took it seriously) were:

Trailblazer - 4
    Jetta - 3
    Soul - 3
    Impreza - 3
    Veloster - 1

I'm the single veloster pick because it can come in orange on the base model according to Hyundai's site which edged it over the Soul.

Pretty slim picking at that price point, I would have to say Impreza or Veloster. Would need a test drive to say for sure.

But man, there's so many used cars for $19k I'd rather have instead.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'd spend an extra $25 and get the Impreza.

Fucking Finally! Hyundai is coming out with its smallish truck. Unveiling is April 15th.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-is-finally-actually-happe-1846591519

Einzel wrote: »
    I came up with a fun/dumb game to play at work last week. Figured maybe some of you all would enjoy it or could play, too.

Using cars.com/research what 2021 model would you take for no more than $19000 usd MSRP? Trim and options are acceptable as long as the price stays under. Delivery fee is excluded and also bullshit.

The very scientific results we got (only a few people actually took it seriously) were:

Trailblazer - 4
    Jetta - 3
    Soul - 3
    Impreza - 3
    Veloster - 1

I'm the single veloster pick because it can come in orange on the base model according to Hyundai's site which edged it over the Soul.

I'd ignore all of these rules and buy this new 2020 Nissan Rogue for $18,998 (the MSRP is $27,065). :P

A more fair answer is that I'd probably buy one of the many 2021 Hyundai Kona SELs in stock for just under $19k in SoCal. The MSRP is technically higher, but given how many are listed for under $19k with only a mention of a national bonus cash discount (which likely everyone qualifies for) I'm pretty sure you could walk off the lot buying the car for the listed price.

edited March 2021
    Fucking Finally! Hyundai is coming out with its smallish truck. Unveiling is April 15th.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-is-finally-actually-happe-1846591519

There's no official announcement yet but the 2022 Ford "Maverick" (probably the correct name) was photographed testing with the Ranger and it looks to be properly small as well. It's based on the same platform as the Escape/Bronco Sport, so likely it will be AWD (maybe a FWD base model?) and 1.5L I3/2.0L I4 Ecoboost engine options.

jgeis on

There's no official announcement yet but the 2022 Ford "Maverick" (probably the correct name) was photographed testing with the Ranger and it looks to be properly small as well. It's based on the same platform as the Escape/Bronco Sport, so likely it will be AWD (maybe a FWD base model?) and 1.5L I3/2.0L I4 Ecoboost engine options.

Yea its the other small truck on my list. I've been supremely pleased with our current Hyundai, and a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty is quite tempting. I'll have to wait on reviews of each.

mRahmani wrote: »
    Pretty slim picking at that price point, I would have to say Impreza or Veloster. Would need a test drive to say for sure.

But man, there's so many used cars for $19k I'd rather have instead.

The price range is deliberate for that reason. I thought it was a fun experiment.

edited April 2021

Mazda is bringing the MX-30 EV to the United States, it'll be available in California by the end of the year. A version with a rotary engine acting as a range extender will be coming a bit later. It's not the revival of the RX-line, but it's kinda cool in its own right. Unfortunately the specs aren't particularly impressive, it has a 35.5 kWh battery and is rated at 124 miles of range on the European cycle, power figures are 144hp/200lb-ft torque. No word on the range with the added rotary engine. More electrified Mazdas are on the way, including a plug-in hybrid on their "new large platform" and a traditional hybrid for an upcoming American market crossover.

jgeis on

Mazda is bringing the MX-30 EV to the United States, it'll be available in California by the end of the year. A version with a rotary engine acting as a range extender will be coming a bit later. It's not the revival of the RX-line, but it's kinda cool in its own right. Unfortunately the specs aren't particularly impressive, it has a 35.5 kWh battery and is rated at 124 miles of range on the European cycle, power figures are 144hp/200lb-ft torque. No word on the range with the added rotary engine. More electrified Mazdas are on the way, including a plug-in hybrid on their "new large platform" and a traditional hybrid for an upcoming American market crossover.

I'd love to see an electrified Miata. Weight will be a huge issue, but only having like 150 mile range would be perfect for a small lighter weight roadster.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Also the little rotary generator will alleviate the 'oh but what about the 3 times a year I need more than 124mi range' stuff. I'm keen to see how it does. EVs with generators excite me a lot more than the current PHEVs around.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    The Chevy Volt says hello?

It was sort of halfway between though, yea? Like, great EV range and all that, fits the bill for sure but ended up being that the engine could still directly drive the wheels as well as be a generator. Not a bad thing, but not like the i3 with range extender or what Mazda are doing with the rotary. Losing the direct drive capability means better packaging opportunities and engines better suited for being purely there for power generation.

The Chevy Volt says hello?

Maybe he has his can't see ugly cars goggles on.

New Hyundai truck finally officially revealed, and it is the perfect truck for my truck needs. Here's hoping the v6 is reasonably priced.

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-new-hyundai-pickup-truck-and-it-looks-aweso-1846691111

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    A Chevy SS passed me on the way home yesterday. They really opened it up and flew by, must've been going 100 easily.

God damn that thing makes a fantastic noise

640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited April 2021
    spono wrote: »
    A Chevy SS passed me on the way home yesterday. They really opened it up and flew by, must've been going 100 easily.

Yea they are a great sleeper car if you just want a very capable fun to drive middish size sedan that wouldn't break the bank.

webguy20 on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I saw one of the new '21 Corvettes yesterday and my immediate first thought was, "Why would someone make a car to try to look like the world's ugliest car manufacturer, the Lamborghini?" I mean, Jesus, look at this fucker.

New-2021-Chevy-Corvette-ZR1-Price-Specs.jpg

All the "Yes, I'm a rich asshole" messaging, but none of the audacity, power or ludditism.

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I saw one of the new '21 Corvettes yesterday and my immediate first thought was, "Why would someone make a car to try to look like the world's ugliest car manufacturer, the Lamborghini?" I mean, Jesus, look at this fucker.

New-2021-Chevy-Corvette-ZR1-Price-Specs.jpg

All the "Yes, I'm a rich asshole" messaging, but none of the audacity, power or ludditism.

It doesn't really have the Lambo wedge-shaped front end. Lambos barely have front fenders and their windshields form a contiguous flat surface with their hoods, kind of like the wedge-shaped Honda Civics from about a decade ago.

To me, it looks exactly how you'd expect mid-engine Vette to look: as if they chopped a foot off the front end of the previous generation C7 Vette and moved it behind the cabin. That definitely makes it look not so much like a Vette, though. An extra long phallic front end has a been a visual element of Corvettes since the 1970s.

The Santa Cruz wasn't the only big reveal today, Mercedes-Benz has announced their new full-size EV, the EQS. They're claiming a range of 478 miles (European cycle), the first two models to hit the market will be the EQS 450+ with 329hp (no mention of torque figures) and a 0-60mph time of 5.5s, and the EQS 580 4Matic which comes with AWD, 516hp, and a 4.1s 0-60mph time. There will also be a high performance version making about 630hp coming later. It supports 200kW DC fast charging which can add 186 miles of range in 15 minutes.

I think it kinda has Chrysler vibes in terms of exterior design, shades of the Chrysler 200 and the Dodge Intrepid but with a futuristic MB interior.

edited April 2021
    It would look better if it wasn't two tone. Give it to me in classic Mercedes white or red? I think it'll look right sharp. I wonder why nobody goes for Tesla's acceleration numbers just to say they can. I guess the broader market doesn't care as much, but for a top tier Mercedes you think it would be important.

webguy20 on
    spono wrote: »

Best car I ever owned, wish I could have kept it.

https://youtu.be/A6S7mfFPcMo

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    New Hyundai truck finally officially revealed, and it is the perfect truck for my truck needs. Here's hoping the v6 is reasonably priced.

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-new-hyundai-pickup-truck-and-it-looks-aweso-1846691111

I dig that front end daylight lights setup

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

I dig that front end daylight lights setup

Yea, for whatever reason it works on the truck. It almost looks like a halo spartan helmet.

I ,for one, am here for the euro lux marks to take away Tesla sales.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I didn't realise there was such a disparity in Tesla market share between the US and Europe

I was looking at some figures for 2020 which suggested that in the US, Tesla accounts for ~75%+ of all EV sales, whereas here it's less than 15%

A big chunk of that is that the biggest selling EVs in Europe (Renault Zoe and VW ID.3) aren't offered in the US as far as I'm aware

japan wrote: »
    I didn't realise there was such a disparity in Tesla market share between the US and Europe

I was looking at some figures for 2020 which suggested that in the US, Tesla accounts for ~75%+ of all EV sales, whereas here it's less than 15%

A big chunk of that is that the biggest selling EVs in Europe (Renault Zoe and VW ID.3) aren't offered in the US as far as I'm aware

Volkswagen just introduced the ID.4 in the US, I’ve seen one on the street here in Los Angeles. Renault doesn’t sell cars in the US market, but I doubt the Zoe (or the ID.3) would be sold here anyway. Cars that small just do not sell well here.