As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just started up my game after several days and all the items in my inventory are gone. Neat.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    did it spawn you in your hub? that's happened to me too, not sure how to fix it except by finding an autosave from farther back

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    did it spawn you in your hub? that's happened to me too, not sure how to fix it except by finding an autosave from farther back

Yeah I did. I'm early enough that it is a decent set back.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the fact that it spawns you in the hub sort of implies that it might have killed and respawned you? if you remember where you were when you last quit there might be a box there with all your stuff.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    the fact that it spawns you in the hub sort of implies that it might have killed and respawned you? if you remember where you were when you last quit there might be a box there with all your stuff.

Or, more disturbingly, your old body. Which you kill and then get your stuff.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, your stuff is probably on your duplicate. Throw your save into https://satisfactory-calculator.com/ and you'll be able to see where your doppleganger is.

This is going to sound super weird, but, uh, I don't think I'm making enough nuclear waste. (Also, holy crap does a plutonium fuel cell use a TON of nuclear waste to make.,)

So you start with blender, mixing 75/m nuclear waste with some other stuff to get 50/m non-fissile uranium. You combine 100/m of that with 50/m more nuclear waste to get plutonium pellets. So basically you need 200 nuclear waste/m at normal clockrates to keep that machine at normal speed. The thing is, I built a massive, MASSIVE nuclear plant that produces only 150/m nuclear waste. I guess I'm going to have to downclock them to 75% to make things run smoothly. Though I guess it's no big deal if those machines don't run efficiently, so long as they eat up all the waste.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So would anybody be up for running a server for update 4 experimental to do some multiplayer this weekend? I got my Starlink 'net and it is pretty fucking fast. It has a few quibbles though so I don't think I can host.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited March 2021
    I'm waiting on dedicated servers before I throw in for multiplayer. That way nobody has to worry about the host being around.

My own "server" hardware is dedicated to Valheim at the moment.

Undead Scottsman on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm waiting on dedicated servers before I throw in for multiplayer. That way nobody has to worry about the host being around.

My own "server" hardware is dedicated to Valheim at the moment.

Oh yea, dedicated will be great.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I felt like doing the early game again and started a new save file.

I had forgotten just how slow mk1 conveyors are.

edited March 2021
    This is a great way to do this. By stacking the splitters you can build a setup MUCH faster instead of trying to eyeball the stagger.

t5deemj2czts.png

webguy20 on
    whoa I'm gonna do that next time I need a bank of assemblers

I'm a dirty little clipper. I don't give no fucks. I put conveyer belts inside conveyer belts inside pipes inside other conveyer belts.

webguy20 wrote: »
    This is a great way to do this. By stacking the splitters you can build a setup MUCH faster instead of trying to eyeball the stagger.

t5deemj2czts.png

I've been doing them with lifts like that, but that does seem a bit faster than my method of lining them up to each input.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    It would really speed up manufacturers and assemblers if putting splitters and mergers on lifts worked like you would expect instead of them clipping into each other.

In the meantime I'll give that method a try.

Peewi on
    Peewi wrote: »
    It would really speed up manufacturers and assemblers if putting splitters and mergers on lifts worked like you would expect instead of them clipping into each other.

In the meantime I'll give that method a try.

If you get the placement of the splitter/merger right, putting a lift on the machine will link directly to the splitter, at least.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    April 15th looks to be the date Update 4 comes to live. Pretty soon!

Fixed bug that allowed to use the Hover Pack with no power by spamming space

Bummer.

the official wiki is looking pretty silly for today, the day of lies

https://satisfactory.fandom.com/wiki/Satisfactory_Wiki

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Anyone know if you can roll an experimental save file over to the normal game, once the update hits?

you absolutely can, yes

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Finally started digging into this. It's good, I'm really enjoying myself!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You picked a good time to dig in, a gigantic update is coming in 10 days.

Haven't logged in since I started trying to set up all of the gear for nuclear waste recycling. (Having to add Bauxite and Nitrogen to that chain is woof.) and since they're still making big balance changes, I'm gonna wait for the update to hit Early access.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    You picked a good time to dig in, a gigantic update is coming in 10 days.

Yeah I saw that! Honestly knowing it was coming was part of what finally got me to go okay screw waiting for the full release.

Right now I'm still super early days, powered by solid biofuel level of things, but hey it's fun and I'm enjoying tooling around and streaming my adventures.

My first proper factory is up and running!
    4F4AD359C2B7D03C1A0064A416D6212027BB7ABD

Sblocked for big.

3 Normal Iron deposits feeding 6 smelters feeding constructor chains Iron Rods, Iron Plates, Reinforced Iron Plates and Rotors for me. It's not very efficient from a time perspective for the Iron Plates and Rotors, but i also dont care too much - I'll optimize that down the track when i've got a better handle on input/output requirements.

Next step is going to be setting up a proper Copper factory, and also harvesting that other limestone patch in the distance for more delicious concrete.

Annnnd of course the entire factory has run into serious logjam issues.

Are there any good guides out there for undrestnading/figuring out how much of X/Y you need to avoid backups liek that? I'm still learning how to understand the input/output numbers

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Annnnd of course the entire factory has run into serious logjam issues.

Are there any good guides out there for undrestnading/figuring out how much of X/Y you need to avoid backups liek that? I'm still learning how to understand the input/output numbers

the only numbers you need to pay attention for that is the produced per minute and consumed per minute

for example, a constructor takes 15 iron ingots/m to make 15 iron rods/m; screws take 10 iron rods/m to make 40 screws/m. That gives you all the info you need: To efficiently match the outputs to the inputs, you get two constructors making rods (15/m*2=30/m), which then feeds three constructors making screws (each taking 10/m). The default screw recipe is one of the screwiest to make line up; most other early game recipes fit together more cleanly.

I'm sure there's probably tools out there to help you auto-calculate configurations, or just factory layouts you can straight up rip, but I had fun in mathing out all the requirements and how they fit together.

ris052p8nu1s.png

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    And if your factory is backed up with iron ingots, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It means that all your machines are producing stuff as fast as they can and you've got an iron surplus. Even if it looks like nothing is moving very fast, each machine it taking what it needs just as fast as it can.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm sure there's probably tools out there to help you auto-calculate configurations,

:D

https://satisfactory-calculator.com/

They're fun to play with when you're not currently playing Satisfactory, too!

@Elvenshae is there a tutorial for how to use that? I want to set how much iron I've got coming in. But right now it defaults to telling me level 2 miners, which are tech I don't have

edited April 2021
    You can change the tech levels you have on the second (third?) tab to say you’ve got, e.g., mk1 miners on an impure node.

You can also go to the inputs tab and input that you’ve got, like, 120 iron ore per minute, or 60 screws per minute from a different production line.

When I’m at my desk I’ll put a little more useful help text up. :)

Elvenshae on
    @The Zombie Penguin

Okay, so the Production Planner tool.

Basic way to do it is to decide what it is you want to make. Let's say you want to set up a screw factory making 200 screws per minute. First thing you do is, on the outputs tab, pick "Screws" and enter 200 as the target output (all numbers are per-minute).
    3ivybip1vob3.png

Then, you go to the Options tab and indicate what your tech level is (and any alternate recipes you've got, though you might not have any yet). If it's still early in the game, you probably have Mk1 miners on a normal node and mk1 conveyor belts:
    ygsw0nbydago.png

You can also indicate whether or not you have splitters and mergers, but if you don't have those yet you should get them as soon as possibly because they make things waymore easier:
    q8nk6zogcclh.png

That updates the right-hand side to the logical outline of your factory, in terms of how many miners you need, what level of production they'll be at, which smelters they should feed, where the bars go, etc.:
    gbsyopembe20.png

You can then zoom in and see that, e.g., you need most of the output of 1 miner routed through 2 mostly-completely used smelters ...
    68m6m4asjr8p.png

... feeding 4 Iron Rod constuctors, feeding 5 Screw constructors ...
    jrq0yqt00sye.png

... to get your output:
    5kt6fscfsu9x.png

When you can upgrade your belts to Mk2s, you can see how it simplifies your layout because you aren't as belt-constrained:
    1159n3cvpfa1.png

Next up, "Advanced" mode!

Is the smelter that is straight through the splitter always the one that is 100% and the one on the side the less than 100%?

Okay, slightly more advanced mode!

You want to take the screws you're making in your first factory (laid out above) and turn them into something more interesting (like reinforced iron plates!).

You can just add reinforced iron plates as a desired output to your first factory - though now that means you've got a factory that's making 200 screws and 10 reinforced iron plates per minute:
    ggpfnybzy3ds.png
    0erk6bwtypwn.png

... which is, uh, spaghetti-ish.

Instead, what you really want to do in-game is use the outputs from your screwfab to feed your RIPfab. So, instead of having a factory that's trying to make both 200 screws and 10 RIPs, you take the screws out of your output tab and instead put them in on on your input tab:
    gs1mnrsozmhi.png

5zn9caqiwhd2.png

So your RIPfab is now taking the output of your screwfab as an input, and using it to make RIPs:
    qnxzcax3deuc.png

And as you can see, you're only using 120 of your 200 available screws
    zogf2ev4jcg9.png

5eup2emnmpa1.png

... so you can use those other 80 screws to either make more RIPs (you've got an underutilized miner in the bottom branch of the factory that could feed more smelters->iron plates) or do something else with them.

There are a couple of other tabs on the factory outline side, which show you things like the items you need:
    d4mf4x46e025.png

... or the number of buildings you need to make this factory and how much they'll cost:
    r9uvy98peaxf.png4gb2fyiv8e77.png

The other thing you can do with the production planner is use it to tune your inputs. You could say, "Okay, I'm making 200 iron plates per minute; how many RIPs can I turn that into, and how many screws do I need to get that done?"

To do that, you'd add 1 RIP as an output, then 200 iron plates and a ridiculously high number of screws as inputs (e.g., "assume I'm plate-limited for my inputs"). Then you can just gradually increase your RIP production until you notice the factory layout adjust to add more miners to make more plates (in our case, that happens after 33 RIP / minute with 6 fully-allocated and 1 partially-allocated assembler).

Is the smelter that is straight through the splitter always the one that is 100% and the one on the side the less than 100%?

Nope - basic splitters split things evenly between all available outputs, so if one side is underutilized (e.g. 60 come in, and you need a 40/20 split on the outbound) what'll happen is they'll split 30/30 until one side backs up a bit and then the excess will go to the "heavier" side.

Or you can figure out ways to adjust the output by splitting and recombining, but allowing overflow pressure is usually easier.

*Stares at post

Chainsaw go burrrr!

The wiki has a good picture explaining:

el9i7yahkph0.png