As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is Larry the Cable Guy saying watch [Game Grumps] and CoNSumE PriLOsEc

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Yo I STILL don't know what actually happened with the ProJared thing. My only takeaway from that is that both of them were insane and need to just not be in front of people anymore. I absolutely stopped watching his stuff, even if I don't actually know if he did anything wrong or not.

I never watched ProJared in the first place except when he was on Game Grumps. I don't know if all the other claims made against him turned out to be true or not, but he did have an affair on his wife with Ross' wife. I'd always had a soft spot for Ross even back in the days when people here were complaining that they thought he was annoying, so I genuinely felt for the guy when it came out his wife had been cheating.

Whether it was an affair or not is a lot more ambiguous than it was initially presented, as the drama there involved a pretty complicated timeline of an already bad relationship opening up.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Well back to our regularly scheduled Mario Maker,

I knew back in world 5 when Arin said "you can't do a spin jump off the wall!" would come back to haunt him in the Steel Ball level. But he actually figured that out pretty quick.

Also, Steel Ball Run is a level Ross made with Alpharad, actually a long time ago before he decided to try for a whole world of collabs. The video actually ended up causing Alpharad and Ross to become good friends, almost like they knew each other their whole life. It was a fun build to watch.

I also think the Hops and Dreams level will make or break this run for Arin. I find that level SUPER difficult with some of the tightest jumps I ever saw. If he can do that, he can at least... tackle the first level of World 8 within a reasonable time.

Once Arin completes all these levels I'm going to go back and watch the videos Ross posted of him working on them. It should be fun!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I recently started watching the Sonic Boom series. I think I made it a few episodes and had to tap out because it was getting too absurd... Now I'm on Part 43 and can't turn away. Was this game ever fixed? The way they drop the Sonic team into the level after cutscenes is especially funny to me. I know they did that so the characters wouldn't get stuck in the terrain at the beginning.

It was not. It is a broken mess.

It's a shame too, because I thought the characters in Sonic Boom were a lot more interesting than usual. The story in that game might be a complete mess, but the actual scenes were way better than anything else I've ever seen out of Sonic. Big props for actually making Amy a salvageable character. But given what a disaster that game was in every other way, I suppose I can't expect anything more to come of it.

I mean, I know it had a DS game as well, and a cartoon. But whether those were better or not, the general opinion of Sonic Boom is extremely negative.

It certainly looks like it could have been decent. I know Arin plays up a lot of the bugs for views and also used the Knuckles trick that caused a lot of things to break but it still looks like it could have been fun. Damn shame too.

I remember seeing snippets of the cartoon being deeply, viciously self-deprecatory in nature and honestly seemed like genuinely funny writing for a kid's series, though I don't know if that was reflective of the show as a whole or just specific episodes for specific writers where they took the gloves off

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The cartoon Sonic Boom is actually really good. My kids watched through it on whatever streaming service it was up on. It is consistent, has personality, and has solid funny moments. It is a shame the game kind of got the shaft.

The Wha Happun from Matt Mcmuscles does a good job of explaining what happened with the game series.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    The Mario Maker continues.

Arin encounters a couple of Gamers, but also makes short order of a relatively difficult level. Also, I need to point out he may be the ONLY person I watched that actually noticed the fact you can control your fall speed in that low gravity type of level. I worked that out yet still had trouble with it. He actually did better than I would have expected with those last two. There MAY be hope for him in world 8. He is definitely both noticing the ramp up in difficulty, and it has started to get to him.

World 8 is the killer of souls. It was when Ross just decided it's about time to destroy people. He also destroyed himself in the process of uploading them.

• Options
    The Mario Maker continues.

Arin encounters a couple of Gamers, but also makes short order of a relatively difficult level. Also, I need to point out he may be the ONLY person I watched that actually noticed the fact you can control your fall speed in that low gravity type of level. I worked that out yet still had trouble with it. He actually did better than I would have expected with those last two. There MAY be hope for him in world 8. He is definitely both noticing the ramp up in difficulty, and it has started to get to him.

World 8 is the killer of souls. It was when Ross just decided it's about time to destroy people. He also destroyed himself in the process of uploading them.

This latest one looks brutal but it was pretty clever.

• Options
    Referencing the one he beat, or the one he is working on?

The bouncy level is a ton easier if you do a lot of mid air twists, which Arin has a tendency to avoid. That will likely be a huge problem in world 8 too, because Ross likes the NSMB style the most for that reason (and wall jumps).

The Panga level actually has a much harder version, since Panga is known for making some of the most absurdly difficult SMM levels out there. Mostly involving shell jumps which I personally hate. That was the inspiration for that level he did with Ross, it is basically similar to a shell jump thing but in slow motion to not be as difficult.

• Options
    I recognize Panga's name but I don't know where though.

The frog level looked painful. Glad Arin finished it. And then the bouncy level with the low gravity was a bit much.

• Options
    Panga is a pretty major SMM1 and 2 player. He mad some of the hardest levels at the time when SMM1 was big. Still makes some pretty hard levels.

He is one of the more regular SMM2 players on youtube currently as well. Actually as far as the community is concerned he is a huge name, and it was pretty amazing Ross got to do a level with him.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    His full user name is PangaeaPanga.

• Options
    Panga is a pretty major SMM1 and 2 player. He mad some of the hardest levels at the time when SMM1 was big. Still makes some pretty hard levels.

He is one of the more regular SMM2 players on youtube currently as well. Actually as far as the community is concerned he is a huge name, and it was pretty amazing Ross got to do a level with him.

Oh that sounds familiar. Maybe it's from GDQ or from the GrandPooBear streams or something.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    For me, it’s from the level “Pit of Panga”

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Oh that sounds familiar. Maybe it's from GDQ or from the GrandPooBear streams or something.

He made the hacks Super Dram World 1 and 2, which have been at GDQ.

• Options
    So Arin reached world 8. I actually was 50/50 if he would ever even see this far, so glad he made it.

First level is a combo of throwback to Ross' original Companion Spring and the SMM2 level he made. Also fun fact about this one, his Chat absolutely insisted on no check point. Ross seems to regret it when every single person notices, but honestly I think it was a good decision. If there was a checkpoint in this one it would have been by far the easiest level in the World 8 set, instead of a toss up. And we just couldn't have that, this is World freaking 8.

Next level is also a throwback then shit gets real. It is up in the air with how difficult the first two are, but the 3rd is absolutely guaranteed to take MANY deaths, and the 4th is pretty much the level that devours souls. The final level is still the hardest (by quite a large margin, taking Ross I think 8+ hours to upload or something), but the one before it is the one that just makes you realize there isn't a sliver of kindness left in Ross' levels.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So I just kind of lurk and watch occasional videos, but I just want to make sure I've got a hold on what just happened:

People (namely, Jontron fans) sensationalized a really-skeezy-but-not-strictly-grooming activity by Dan in an effort to get him canceled because of... fanboyism?

*squints*

• Options
    Yeah I don't know what their beef is at this point but it's kind of sad. The guy who started it also admitted that it was basically nothing (in terms of what he was suggesting and what actually happened) but the subreddit and the Internet would blow it up way worse than it was. Boy was he correct about that.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't know what their beef is at this point but it's kind of sad. The guy who started it also admitted that it was basically nothing (in terms of what he was suggesting and what actually happened) but the subreddit and the Internet would blow it up way worse than it was. Boy was he correct about that.

I think the girl got taken advantage of and I think Dan is pretty much a scummy human being, but I don't think it was grooming, but I admit I'm basing my opinion based on other peoples assessment that are far more critical and correct about these things than I am.

I also think this petty shit from social media fanboys causes actual hard to victims of more severe sexual assaults, rapes, grooming, etc, because it gives ammo for the doubters.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    It's also like the 8th person that has shared a similar story about Dan, but people are chalking it up to lolRantGrumps, because that's easier than accepting when someone literally writes a play called "Bad People" basing one of the main character off of Dan that there might be something to it.

• Options
    The fact they sensationalized something nowhere near what they tried to make it out to be is why people chalk things up to lolranggrumps.

Which is exactly why what jungle says is right. People doing that shit makes it way harder for actual crimes and abuse to be dealt with.

Dan and this girl both made some bad decisions and it was some regretful sex, but nothing non consented was involved. Also, I have also heard a lot of the claims coming out about his were just as empty, never saw anything really legit. Sounds like he liked to fool around and move on with fans, which is crappy for those fans involved, but its still just adult sexual behavior.

The play is uhh, unless there is more than one from what I saw that might have been even worse than this rantgrumps thing, because it seemed like the girl drummed up something also not as bad just to get publicity for her play. I have no other side to that story though.

If something legit is wrong with Dan, its super hard to not question claims at this point when a group of people have shown a few times now to be willing to lie about it and pretty much just put a target on his back. Like of course a bunch of claims are going to come about on the internet of anonymity at that point. And if any are legit, then its rantgrumps caring more about themselves than actual victims that would be screwing those victims over.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Actually, I'm gonna go ahead and retract this since I'm doubtful about how reputable the source is.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    This whole thing was a shitshow because of that stupid reddit, but what's not really in dispute is that Dan communicated with fans to get them to meet up at live shows for sex then stopped talking to them. And i'm never going to be able to not think about that and how creepy and unprofessional it is when I hear him or his name, so I can't enjoy watching their show anymore.

• Options
    And no one here will judge you for doing that.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The play thing shouldn't be brought up as a source, that's "the post that started the other GG (not Game Grumps)" level sourcing. A very personal, not criminal beef... that would maybe be good for my internet clout is not what people mean when they say "believe women". Or it shouldn't be.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Actually, nevermind again. I've got other things I need to do.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    From what I can google, the play has existed for like two years, and she only came out and said it was Dan when this latest one blew up.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    This is is my last post for today because I've got homework to do, but I'll just say that through these r/RantGrumps incidents I've since learned there's a large number of people not just on r/RantGrumps, but also KiwiFarms and Lolcow.Farm, who really have it out for Arin and Dan, and in light of this latest incident where the claims being made on r/RantGrumps fell apart in the space of a day (though only the initial r/RantGrumps claims come up on Google's Top Stories bar) it's difficult to sort what could actually be legit from things that could be fabricated by anonymous posters to discredit them (primarily, it seems, for Arin being an "SJW" and replacing Jontron with Dan).

There's also a supposed blog post from the creator of that play where they talk about getting ousted from a close friend group for lying about one woman in the group to another, and that they have recognized a pattern of untruthfulness in their life...but that could easily be something somebody made up to discredit them (though it does seemingly date back to 2018, well before the first r/RantGrumps blow up about the play, so IDK). IIRC, they also initially took down their play when r/RantGrumps found it and said it was probably about Dan only for users at r/RantGrumps to save and reupload it. There's also claims that they have reestablished a friendship with Ross' ex-wife Holly recently, but that could also just be more rumors to try and discredit them.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The fact they sensationalized something nowhere near what they tried to make it out to be is why people chalk things up to lolranggrumps.

Which is exactly why what jungle says is right. People doing that shit makes it way harder for actual crimes and abuse to be dealt with.

Dan and this girl both made some bad decisions and it was some regretful sex, but nothing non consented was involved. Also, I have also heard a lot of the claims coming out about his were just as empty, never saw anything really legit. Sounds like he liked to fool around and move on with fans, which is crappy for those fans involved, but its still just adult sexual behavior.

The play is uhh, unless there is more than one from what I saw that might have been even worse than this rantgrumps thing, because it seemed like the girl drummed up something also not as bad just to get publicity for her play. I have no other side to that story though.

If something legit is wrong with Dan, its super hard to not question claims at this point when a group of people have shown a few times now to be willing to lie about it and pretty much just put a target on his back. Like of course a bunch of claims are going to come about on the internet of anonymity at that point. And if any are legit, then its rantgrumps caring more about themselves than actual victims that would be screwing those victims over.

The thing that pisses me off is that the one person who's opinion has been completely disregarded throughout is the fucking victim. She showed up in /r/rantgrumps to try and set things straight and was pretty much chased off in a couple of hours, because hey, lets not let the truth get in the way of a good witch hunt, am I right?

What I'd really like to ask her more than anything is, what was her motive for "going public" with these accusations, i.e, what would her preferred end-game be, if she got to choose an outcome? Does she even want Danny "cancelled" or kicked off Game Grumps, or just to offer a warning for other fans of things who might find themselves in similar positions in the future? Or to say "Hey, you know that guy on Youtube who presents himself as super wholesome? Yeah, well just FYI well he's not nearly as wholesome as you think". We got no context from the actual victim because we never got to hear them speak, in their own words, instead we had context made up for us from someone acting in bad faith.

We could have had a frank conversation about groupie culture, and how musicians often use their fans as disposable sex objects, instead we got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4twYqvssu0

Now the subreddit is all "Oh well I guess that was literally nothing, we can now go back to business as usual and start making memes about the situation" which is pretty fucked-up given that the accuser was apparently pretty upset by what happened. Even if you don't believe that Dan did anything wrong, a person was clearly upset enough to post these accusations, and scared enough that they had to do it anonymously via a third-party, but now "hurr durr power dynamic" has become a meme.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Someone did have a convo with her. It was in a thread that someone posted here. She basically said she regrets the decision she made, she thought she was "lucky" at the time to be getting with Dan, and felt that at worst he took advantage of his position. She holds no ill will and just wishes she had done something else instead.

I think her only goal was to let other girls know if it seemed like he was into them, he likely wasn't. She also did mention concern for his current girlfriend. Seems like the fact this all happened 4 years ago things may have changed, but we have no way of knowing that.

Then again I heard something like she might not have actually been the victim. So who freaking even knows. It is why the whole thing just kind of went away and those assholes who made it into something it wasn't could have really screwed up things if something bad actually had happened. Of course, they are all going into hiding on the internet.. for now. I guarantee they will be back and prey on this occurrence as "building evidence" or something to get a rise out of people with their next claim.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Someone did have a convo with her. It was in a thread that someone posted here. She basically said she regrets the decision she made, she thought she was "lucky" at the time to be getting with Dan, and felt that at worst he took advantage of his position. She holds no ill will and just wishes she had done something else instead.

I think her only goal was to let other girls know if it seemed like he was into them, he likely wasn't. She also did mention concern for his current girlfriend. Seems like the fact this all happened 4 years ago things may have changed, but we have no way of knowing that.

Then again I heard something like she might not have actually been the victim. So who freaking even knows. It is why the whole thing just kind of went away and those assholes who made it into something it wasn't could have really screwed up things if something bad actually had happened. Of course, they are all going into hiding on the internet.. for now. I guarantee they will be back and prey on this occurrence as "building evidence" or something to get a rise out of people with their next claim.

Sorry but this is kind of fucked up to me. It seems pretty well unanimous with people that what Dan is doing is gross at best and actually predatory at worst.
    If you want to keep liking the guy and watching his content that's fine - your choice. Trying to vilify everybody that thinks what he's doing/has done is a pretty misguided imo.

• Options
    I feel like you grossly misread my point there, but sure.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I feel like you grossly misread my point there, but sure.

On the contrary, I'm not sure you realize how gross your post sounds.

So maybe it's best to be direct - what is the point of your post there if I misread it?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Oh god damn it Ross. A rubber room??

• Options
    He made that level late and kind of quick when he couldn't find another guest to make a level for that world. Also, he had done the boss rush version of the boss before the actual boss level, which involved bouncers. So it kind of ended up with that somewhat messy level. The boss fight is superb there though.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    FYI SatanIsMyMotor is on record saying they believe Dan is a pedophile and got the other thread locked, so it's probably best not to engage or put on ignore if you don't want this thread locked, too.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Let's try to not bring that nonsense over here too, yeah?

e: Speaking to everyone. Not saying we can't talk about it but rather not get hostile towards other forumers.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    FYI SatanIsMyMotor is on record saying they believe Dan is a pedophile and got the other thread locked, so it's probably best not to engage if you don't want this thread locked, too.

I um, never called Dan a pedophile? In fact I said the opposite? The thread is still there.

edit: Also that thread got locked for people playing the "what is pedophilia" debate after a mod told them to stop. I've been clear in all of my posts that I think Dan is a creep but not a pedophile.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    FYI SatanIsMyMotor is on record saying they believe Dan is a pedophile and got the other thread locked, so it's probably best not to engage if you don't want this thread locked, too.

This is absolutely not true. What the fuck dude.

the other poster got the thread locked because of their pedantic, straw-manning bullshit.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

I um, never called Dan a pedophile? In fact I said the opposite? The thread is still there.

edit: Also that thread got locked for people playing the "what is pedophilia" debate after a mod told them to stop. I've been clear in all of my posts that I think Dan is a creep but not a pedophile.

I was about to say this myself. I looked over the thread and it wasn’t you at all calling him such, in fact you straight out said he wasn’t one. It was someone directly talking with you that called Dan a pedophile. But just like that other thread, it’s probably best we don’t go deep into semantics so this thread doesn’t get locked too. I just don’t like seeing others having words put into their mouths or being blamed for things they didn’t do.

• Options
    Holy shit how did I not see the Medieval Times Power Hour before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJI0Zz2Qh8

My sides are sore from laughing so much.

This discussion has been closed.