As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, smart kids are the freaking worst when it comes to defeating your various protections and limits...

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    If you want to get a cheap non-chromebook laptop for him, I'd check for local computer recycle/refurbish organizations (the one here in Vancouver is called "Free Geek" ), and also on local Facebook "Buy Nothing" groups. I bet you could get him one for $200 or less.

Also, I never learned to whistle properly and it hasn't materially affected my life...

:so_raven:
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Yeah, smart kids are the freaking worst when it comes to defeating your various protections and limits...

And yet like I said, I can't get mad about it. Please, little guy, be smart. Don't dim yourself! I want him to be brilliant!

But.

. . . he's now figured out the "skip ads" button too. He saw me do it once and figured it out. Same with making the video fullscreen.

I'm doomed. Happy, but doomed.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

And yet like I said, I can't get mad about it. Please, little guy, be smart. Don't dim yourself! I want him to be brilliant!

But.

. . . he's now figured out the "skip ads" button too. He saw me do it once and figured it out. Same with making the video fullscreen.

I'm doomed. Happy, but doomed.

Yep. My daughter is a confident barbarian princess clone of me.
    Dear world,
    I'm sorry, but she's my daughter so nothing could be done.
    At least her iron rule will involve cookies.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Is there any actual proven whistle training, or is it really just "purse your lips and blow"

Hey, I can actually talk about this from experience. Not aware of any whistle training myself, but around maybe late 5ish, my daughter would notice me whistling. After correcting a few of the obvious wrong roads (No, it's not humming. No, it isn't gargling a noise out of the back of your throat), I finally got her to understand it involved pursing your lips and blowing. Then I basically told her, it'll take a lot of practice, but if you just keep trying you'll eventually notice that certain mouth shapes make sounds, etc, etc. Six months later, she can whistle consistently, though now she's working on figuring out pitch and control.

So yeah, purse your lips and blow, and then let them figure it out.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    We had our first parent-teacher meeting (over the phone) with my kid's teacher. She was quite pleased with Little King, but did say that he could be too intense and physical with his new best friend. It has me a bit worried, I don't want him to lose friends because he's laying an unreasonable claim on them. I'm not really sure how to approach it. His friend likes spending time with him and will only sometimes dislike him being an intense goblin. Interpreting mixed signals is part of life, of course. He'll need to learn to consider someone's feelings even if they don't voice them loud and clear.

--

She also said the first weeks after our latest lockdown were the worst and she considered retiring early because her whole class had descended into chaos. So uhh if y'all are in a lockdown and when classes start again, be extra kind to the teacher! :(

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I’ve been trying to come up with small, daily themes for the kids. Currently, I have Wacky Wednesday (where we do some opposite things) and Pancake Friday (which is pancakes for breakfast).

Any suggestions for other days?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Tune-out Tuesday, everyone gets media with headphones on and NOBODY TALKS.
    this is mostly a joke suggestion but if you can actually pull it off you're a legend

Peen on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Every day at 3:30 your socks go on your hands for 15 minutes.

Spoon Mondays. No forks allowed.

Whining Rhymes. If you want to whine, it has to rhyme, even if you’re having a lousy time.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »

Whining Rhymes. If you want to whine, it has to rhyme, even if you’re having a lousy time.

I believe you meant Whine Rhyme Time.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Sunday is Big Ass Breakfast Day around these parts.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    spono wrote: »

I believe you meant Whine Rhyme Time.

It's just Wine Time for me

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I’ve been trying to come up with small, daily themes for the kids. Currently, I have Wacky Wednesday (where we do some opposite things) and Pancake Friday (which is pancakes for breakfast).

If you're doing Pancake Friday, why not do them for dinner? Breakfast for Dinner Friday?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

If you're doing Pancake Friday, why not do them for dinner? Breakfast for Dinner Friday?

I could, but Pancake Friday is one of the few days they'll get downstairs without a fight. Early morning wins make the rest of the day manageable.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    On suggestions for thematic days for fun kid stuff, I'm assuming this is meant for both kids, and since I don't know your kids, my question is what do they both like to do? I mean, besides be wacky and get pancakes.

Because if there's things they both like to do (arty stuff, toys, games, etc), that's where my head goes first is taking what they both like and working from there.

Like, Taco Tuesdays are a thing for people mainly who like tacos. If someone doesn't like tacos, they aren't going to like Taco Tuesday no matter how fun you make it. That's where my head is with this: my suggestion is to think about what both kids like to do together without trying to murder each other and do that thing. :wink:

• Options
    Neither of them has really shown any leanings towards specific things they like to do. My daughter has taken to art (coloring mostly) and my son typically just does whatever his sister says. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Today we had complete proof of our child's parentage.

With this joke

"What can go Moo, but doesn't?"

I don't know, what?

"A Quiet Cow"

*Cue cackling five year old laughter*

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My daughter just told me!
    She was doing blind trades on her Pokemon game, and I warned her not to trade away her nicer things, and to only trade away pokemans she had extra of. Because people would probably trade away their more trash Pokemon.
    She says she was going to trade her nicer extras.
    Then she got some ultrabeast and master ball from somebody.
    So she just stood there, with her hands on her hips and told me that it's good she sent something nice.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    My daughter just told me!
    She was doing blind trades on her Pokemon game, and I warned her not to trade away her nicer things, and to only trade away pokemans she had extra of. Because people would probably trade away their more trash Pokemon.
    She says she was going to trade her nicer extras.
    Then she got some ultrabeast and master ball from somebody.
    So she just stood there, with her hands on her hips and told me that it's good she sent something nice.

hahaha

I was gonna write "heh next time she'll be unlucky and feel bad" but then I remembered how there's always people who are just continually lucky and maybe she will just continue to get nice stuff regardless of how blind trades usually pan out.

• Options
    She did a few more trades. I convinced her to still just trade her duplicates at least, and she got some decent guys ( not trash, not great).
    Convinced her to stop trading and actually play, eventually. She had some Pokemon low on health, no money, and literally a thousand pokeballs. Dad had to help get her back on track.

• Options
    A screw fell out of one the wooden toys the six month old was playing with and he nearly ate it while i wasn’t paying attention. He’s just started solids so he knows about putting stuff in his mouth to eat. Freaked me out.

• Options
    Ok. I’m desperate for help in regards to my daughters hair. I’m still doing pigtails and my wife thinks she’s getting too old for that look. Plus, my daughter is constantly getting her hair in her food because she still hasn’t mastered special awareness.

So, I want to learn how to braid it, but I’m having no success. I’ve got no experience at this and haven’t developed any muscle memory in my hands to make it go quick.

I’ve watched some tutorials but it’s still not clicking. My biggest hurdle right now is the start. Like, I’ve done some braids before, but they feel loose at the top and unravel quickly through the day.

I’m begging for pro tips or advice. Help me find a technique that works. Do I need any special equipment like ties, clamps, or spray bottles?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ok. I’m desperate for help in regards to my daughters hair. I’m still doing pigtails and my wife thinks she’s getting too old for that look. Plus, my daughter is constantly getting her hair in her food because she still hasn’t mastered special awareness.

So, I want to learn how to braid it, but I’m having no success. I’ve got no experience at this and haven’t developed any muscle memory in my hands to make it go quick.

I’ve watched some tutorials but it’s still not clicking. My biggest hurdle right now is the start. Like, I’ve done some braids before, but they feel loose at the top and unravel quickly through the day.

I’m begging for pro tips or advice. Help me find a technique that works. Do I need any special equipment like ties, clamps, or spray bottles?

You need quality rubber hair ties, not those small plastic ones that snap. You then need a spray bottle for water and a detangling brush, styling brush, and fine brush. Oh and detangler spray.

Here's my setup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRD5WLD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_GPNGE3CT19RPR9STS0EW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGN9LQ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_724FXEM5ZDR9S5TRW2KK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BDTC4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_RXASCJRXHDQVT1FG3KDH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Basically you need to detangle all the hair back and use one hair tie up gather everything into a basic ponytail. Just try to find the spot where most of the hair gets together. Then once your have the pony tail going, you can split into a braided style.

Search for Dad Hair School on YouTube, that got me started

Oh make sure you have something to distract the kid while it work.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Too old for pigtails?

Nonsense.

But probably not worth the fight.

Have you considered a hair cut? It sounds drastic, I know, but it has worked well for Ellie. And she even brushes her own hair now sometimes.

I would recommend getting some ribbons or even towels and practice with them.

Or doll hair.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular

Based on some news articles I saw last month, Gorilla Glue apparently is great for keeping hair out of your face.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    As someone who grew up having to braid his multiple cousins hair, I got much better once they also made me make friendship bracelets lol.

Try practicing with some string, same pattern, will help get the muscle memory

I can still subconsciously braid if needed decades later lol

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Or, make some Challah or braided breadsticks.

Also the same motions, plus you get food.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I made a ton of friendship bracelets as a kid, but I always have a hard time with all the various strands falling apart in my hands. I never had to worry about that using embroidery thread for macramé.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I think I need new hair ties to get that firm base ponytail hold. Any recommendations?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I think I need new hair ties to get that firm base ponytail hold. Any recommendations?

Target has a pack of black ones that come in a few sizes and really stretch.

https://www.target.com/p/scunci-mixed-size-polybands-in-zippered-pouch-black-300pk/-/A-52594162#lnk=sametab

No idea why they are rated so low, they're the only ones I've been able to use that didn't immediately snap when I tried putting them on Ripley.

• Options
    Those types of ties often got caught in my daughter's hair and pulled a lot. We use something like: https://www.target.com/p/goody-comfortable-elastic-hair-accessories-set-37ct/-/A-16262225

• Options
    Those types of ties often got caught in my daughter's hair and pulled a lot. We use something like: https://www.target.com/p/goody-comfortable-elastic-hair-accessories-set-37ct/-/A-16262225

These are the ones that my wife uses.

• Options
    OK. Spray bottle, detangling spray, and new hair ties acquired. I'm going to style the shit outta this hair or die trying!
    I'm probably gonna die.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    OK. Spray bottle, detangling spray, and new hair ties acquired. I'm going to style the shit outta this hair or die trying!
    I'm probably gonna die.

Some more tips I thought of.

1. Try to get the kids head positioned so it's not way above or below you.
    2. When braiding keep a constant tension on the hair. If the hair you're working with is super loose the braid comes apart easily and too tight hurts.
    3. It doesn't take a lot of force to hold hair still. Don't go for the death grip.
    4. Don't underestimate the water spray bottle or detangler spray. Wet the ever loving fuck out of that hair and it's a million times easier to style.

• Options
    I salute you folks dealing with long hair styles for your kids, when with my oldest boy, its like "I think we washed your hair this month? Maybe?"

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    I salute you folks dealing with long hair styles for your kids, when with my oldest boy, its like "I think we washed your hair this month? Maybe?"

I got into it because of an interaction I had with a senior woman at a church Christmas Bazaar (we are not religious, just looking for something to do, it was 12/2020.)

I did my daughter's hair in pigtails that were more or less even and unprompted, this is what happened.

Old Lady:. What nice hair you have little girl! Did your Mommy do it?
    My Wife: Nope, my husband did.
    Me: Yeah I did it, still a work in progress but I think I'm getting better.
    Old Lady: That's great! This is what we fought for in the sixties!

It was just the weirdest thing and I got more interested in doing complex stuff mostly to stick it to that assumption Dads can't or don't do "girly stuff".

Right now I'm just limited to how long Ripley will stay still.

In other news, Ripley wanted to watch a movie and chose....A GOOFY MOVIE. NOT FROZEN. THANK GOD.

Powerline still bangs today.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My son often gets confused for a girl because we dress him in colourful clothes. He has peach coloured leggings with ice creams on them.

Would totally have bought him a pink sun hat which had dinosaurs on it if they had the right size.

Boys clothes are generally so dull, at least in England.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    My son often gets confused for a girl because we dress him in colourful clothes. He has peach coloured leggings with ice creams on them.

Would totally have bought him a pink sun hat which had dinosaurs on it if they had the right size.

Boys clothes here are all dinosaurs and trucks. Which is annoying because my daughter loves both of those things, but it's all unicorns and shit for her.

Which.. she also loves.

Target has some great stuff in their Cat & Jack line, though, so we've got that going for us. And there's always knockoff Pokemon clothes that get shipped direct from China.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Real talk, our ridiculous child is wearing 12-18m clothes at 6m. Canadians! Or maybe Americans! I summon thee! Can anyone tell me where I can get some kids footie pyjamas with snaps in that size? Preferably online?

Carter’s snaps footies are great, but for some reason they stop at 9m sizes.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »

It's all grey and blue "for boys", so that's rather boring. At least Spiderman still uses plenty of red. We really had to shop around for other colors for him.