As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I like the entire model, but especially how you've done the mounts scales. those look really good and I get albino alligator vibes.

As far as the background I like the workspace background. A featureless void background can be nice, but having an actual background adds something too, I think. You're model is well lit and in focus so I think it works.

Thanks! I wasn’t sure about the mount until the rest of the model was finished and then it worked ok. I usually just modify off existing painting guides but just kinda winged it there, so that’s a relief.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Finished up my second "big brother" contemptor dreadnought.
    22vc2t0yusda.jpg
    zv8g8vnvb87d.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I do love those space helmets. The whole models look awesome though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    What do I thin tamiya clear red with? Isopropyl?

Never used alcohol based paint before.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Tamiya make their own thinner (X-20A is the range number), not sure if it’s pure alcohol or some blend with acrylic resin but no pigment, like Lahmian Medium etc. but, obviously, they recommend that exclusively.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Well crap. Don't have any of that around.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    So I looked it up and there’s a bunch of folks out there that swear by rubbing alcohol, or isoprop and water instead of Tamiya’s own. So if you have that, test it and see.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I need to buy like a big wavy cape to practice my layering transitions to get a smooth highlight effect. My current process has too many hard edges.

@Mr_Rose Little splash of Iso did the trick just fine.

Thank you

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I already know I'm not going to be 100% happy with this Balor when I'm done, but I am learning, and practicing new techniques so the end result will be worth it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really when i do my bike ride and hopefully get at least the primer sprays this weekend I will be happy as I can paint again
    just it will be waking up early and riding my bike on a weekend near busy streets [Main streets on this side of town}

Myphitic Blight Hauler is done, or at least what I'm calling done for now. Once the streaking grime is 100% dry I may go back for another weathering pass on the tracks and undercarriage.

Pretty happy for an afternoons worth of painting.

nz2ihltx8n6o.jpg
    krl3e1rufq0j.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Can I just note that the Metal Slug tracks on that thing always give me a chuckle.
    Especially since it’s, y’know, a metal slug.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Demon engines are so cool

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Demon engines are so cool

Depends on the demon engine. The Skulldozer will forever be a meme, but the kit is used for the Forgeworld Kytan which is fucking boss.

edited March 2021
    Another one done! Balor model by Wizkids. It's not perfect, I had to snap the wings off to be able to actually paint everything, and they didn't go back on perfect. Good enough though. I'm mostly happy with how it turned out. I need to work on better transitions between my highlights and recesses though. All is in service to getting better to paint a couple showpiece minis that I have.

l8g69xcmiq3u.jpg
    r3atmiw6ifw7.jpg
    2amouedlc759.jpg

webguy20 on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Khraul wrote: »
    Myphitic Blight Hauler is done, or at least what I'm calling done for now. Once the streaking grime is 100% dry I may go back for another weathering pass on the tracks and undercarriage.

nz2ihltx8n6o.jpg
    krl3e1rufq0j.jpg

The Blight Hauler is weirdly adorable. I don't like 4chan, but I do browse 1d4chan's 40k articles from time to time, and I feel like they put it best:
    1d4chan wrote:
    The third is that it is the cutest motherfucking daemon engine to have ever existed. Seriously look at this thing! It is like a Chaos Roomba come to life. Look at those stubby little feet, doesn't that make you just go "Dawww"? Only in Papa Nurgle's lair is it possible to have such a collection of adorable little monstrosities.

It’s one sick puppy. No, seriously, it’s a sick, plague spreading puppy to rival the Beast of Nurgle. That’s how much Nurgle loves you. Have [sic] gave you a puppy.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Removing their track covers makes them a little meaner looking, but still pretty adorable.

U7zgUqP.jpg?1

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Apparently I'm such a fucking nerd that the first thing I thought when you posted that was "Those tank treads are backwards. That is a bad design." =_=

Are they? I thought the idea was for the spikes to dig in and give more traction/destroy more stuff/aerate the soil of Nurgle’s garden?

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'm sure that's the idea, but you've created a point where it's very easy to jam an object between the treads and stop them from creating a smooth link. That stops the wheels from being able to roll over them and - depending on the severity of the jam - possibly stop them from functioning at all.
    Tracks aren't made for stabbing. If you want extra traction you add nubs (or spikes or saw blades or whatever in the case of 40k :P ) to the mid-section of them so they don't slip.

(Also, like, of course it's all bullshit regardless - the tank design is totally fun, but the whole point of treads is weight distribution to prevent a very heavy thing from sinking. Here we have a model that is concentrating all its weight on a single point on the tread and defeating any mechanical advantage offered. I'm sure they'd be great at digging small holes to get stuck in~)

ArcticLancer on
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Man, I do not miss field problems as a tanker. Arctic just gave me so many flashbacks to mud.

H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »

nz2ihltx8n6o.jpg
    krl3e1rufq0j.jpg

The Blight Hauler is weirdly adorable. I don't like 4chan, but I do browse 1d4chan's 40k articles from time to time, and I feel like they put it best:
    1d4chan wrote:
    The third is that it is the cutest motherfucking daemon engine to have ever existed. Seriously look at this thing! It is like a Chaos Roomba come to life. Look at those stubby little feet, doesn't that make you just go "Dawww"? Only in Papa Nurgle's lair is it possible to have such a collection of adorable little monstrosities.

It’s one sick puppy. No, seriously, it’s a sick, plague spreading puppy to rival the Beast of Nurgle. That’s how much Nurgle loves you. Have [sic] gave you a puppy.

I saw one on Reddit that someone had painted with a super cute chibi anime eye and it was incredible

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited March 2021
    Pretty much every single tracked vehicle in 40k has either backwards and/or upsidedown tracks.
    I even went to the trouble of reversing a landraider so it looks like it might actually be able to climb over things (god I wish landraiders were good...)
    3iwaxx5thede.jpg
    And doing the same to a plagueburst crawler (though that was more to make it look like a Sicaran)
    j8tjifhscmgw.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    v5q8n4t4jc1d.jpeg

55s8voav8ula.jpeg

I have done a thing

I think that's one of my favorite DG schemes I've seen. The marine bluegreen into pink/purple works so well. Awesome stuff!

website_header.jpg
    I keep sliding in right behind Vanguard :lol:

Finished a plagueburst crawler. It was the MVP of the last match it was in, so it deserved a paintjob.

zxm0ga7lskjs.jpg
    zmueg44c3ssd.jpg
    qccej4p3b0yl.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited March 2021
    This is one thing I'm finding I'm liking instant colors for, these little dudes. The color fills right in. Also I'm finding that to really make the instant colors POP, I mix 50% of the bright color I want with 50% of one of the core super dark colors of the same shade. It seems to give better coverage for the lighter colors while still letting them shine through.

d75bqa59286t.jpg

webguy20 on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So in a departure from my normal process, for my friend @Betsuni I decided to paint a special single miniature. I partly did this to assess the brush-feel of some new brushes, partly to test how the new Kickstarter-backed plastic Battletech sculpts took paint, and partly to see how easily I could modify the figure with some 3D printed parts. And partly to give a friend a nice toy. :D

I feel like my success on all of these points to be "resounding".

Here's a shot of the figure with alternate arms; I borrowed the cannon from another modeler, but I designed the laser-array arm myself in FreeCAD.

UBB4rKIl.jpg

And here it is, completed, in colors of Betsuni's choice.

s9lhJGoh.jpg
    g87YH1Ch.jpg

I'm super happy with how it turned out, and look forward to (finally eventually) getting to paint the rest of my Clan Invasion miniatures.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I have to thank @Nips for this super secret generosity of his. I absolutely love this surprise gift and can't wait to take it out for a test drive! I still can't believe all the work he put into this little guy. Think your brushes are above awesome. Even cooler that you customized it too with a hand created laser arm. Honestly it looks like it was sculpted for the miniature game.

Thank you Nips.

Edit: Also making this my PA Avatar.

Double Edit: I am getting confused with my avatar since I used the previous one for far too long.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I'm continually blown away by the milage Nips get out of frankensteining these awesome 3d prints onto the battletech minis! good stuff.

In other robot news,
    Why settle for the clumsy meat-fingered Apothecaries when you can have the surgical precision of... THE DOCTOPUS!
    retromarines_doctopus01.jpg
    retromarines_doctopus_turn01.gif

website_header.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I have said it a lot about paying good hard earned money for gunpla style battletech models
    I really have no idea how big they are since they use things like weight over size and how to get certain models would be insane with who has what of the I.P.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I'm continually blown away by the milage Nips get out of frankensteining these awesome 3d prints onto the battletech minis! good stuff.

In other robot news,
    Why settle for the clumsy meat-fingered Apothecaries when you can have the surgical precision of... THE DOCTOPUS!

That's a great model. What's it made of?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

In other robot news,

Look, it is the ellusive Octourbanmech.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    That's a great model. What's it made of?

It's this cool robot from Bombshell minis, the same place I get my bubblehelmets from. The arms and legs were WAY too fragile, so I swapped them out with assorted plastic mechadendrite bits (most of which from a Disco Lord I think).

website_header.jpg
    Finished up my little Kobold troupe. Used Scale75 instant paints for everything except the swords and the base. Figuring them out is a challenge, but learned a lot! One thing is the instant paint primer is just a touch too watery as I found when I primed these guys. It wants to act like the instant paint and thats not good for trying to get an even coverage. In some testing this evening I found I can mix a touch of regular primer in, about 25% by volume, and get great coverage and have the instant paints still lay down well, so next models I'll try that. I have some pathfinder goblins I'm going to mess with next.

drip41xjwqqo.jpg
    sfkvsaqbsa3k.jpg

What scale are those goblins? I’m getting 15mm vibes.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What scale are those goblins? I’m getting 15mm vibes.

iirc, they are regular dnd scale, just tiny reaper mini's for kobolds.

steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    They're early Bones plastic which can soften the features a little in a way that I could see throwing off your sense of scale in a photo.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think that's one of my favorite DG schemes I've seen. The marine bluegreen into pink/purple works so well. Awesome stuff!

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words