As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I think Edge of the World will be about like reading anything by Thoreau where it will seem beautiful but at least half of it has to be made up.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

Sunshine without that third act?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I would be more interested in Stowaway if they didn't need a ticking clock situation, and it was just someone being forced to learn over two years as a person. Plus the whole premise being unbelievable. I'd understand it more if it was someone's beloved doggo jumping onto the rocket as it's blasting off because he's a good boy.

And I like Kendrick but she seems miscast here.

edit: watching that trailer had this pop up too, from Netflix, the brand of quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnx6-YLXFwg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I agree space movie would be cooler without the clock if it was just "hey it's The Martian but with a normal dude who has to learn to like spacewalk and shit"

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, The Martian very definitely also has a clock, it's just a long-running clock. Actually, it has multiple clocks. First he has to come up with a way to survive long enough for the next mission landing, which puts him at years. He can't grow enough to live off that indefinitely and even then, he has a hull breach and can't grow more food, so there's another clock of NASA getting him resources to keep him going. That fails, so then he has the clock of reaching the other rocket in time to modify it and launch in time to reach the Mars transport vehicle. And while all of that is happening, the people in the ship have their own clock because they also have to force NASA to send them supplies so they can do the longer mission to get Whatney. Heck, there's even a clock running at the end where they have to change their course to pick up Whatney after things don't go according to plan.

But I'm not at all a fan of the notion that they designed a life-support system for a long-term mission the astronauts can't fully and totally break down and rebuild themselves. "Life support broke" would be a problem, sure, but they would figure it out. And no way is NASA sending out a 2-year mission without a way to actually recycle CO2 into O2; we can already do that, it's just energy-intensive. And since the ship would undoubtedly have a reactor, spare energy should not be a problem.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They also need square filters, round holes, duct tape, and binders.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

Sunshine without that third act?
    The cold equations.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Eh, The Martian very definitely also has a clock, it's just a long-running clock. Actually, it has multiple clocks. First he has to come up with a way to survive long enough for the next mission landing, which puts him at years. He can't grow enough to live off that indefinitely and even then, he has a hull breach and can't grow more food, so there's another clock of NASA getting him resources to keep him going. That fails, so then he has the clock of reaching the other rocket in time to modify it and launch in time to reach the Mars transport vehicle. And while all of that is happening, the people in the ship have their own clock because they also have to force NASA to send them supplies so they can do the longer mission to get Whatney. Heck, there's even a clock running at the end where they have to change their course to pick up Whatney after things don't go according to plan.

But I'm not at all a fan of the notion that they designed a life-support system for a long-term mission the astronauts can't fully and totally break down and rebuild themselves. "Life support broke" would be a problem, sure, but they would figure it out. And no way is NASA sending out a 2-year mission without a way to actually recycle CO2 into O2; we can already do that, it's just energy-intensive. And since the ship would undoubtedly have a reactor, spare energy should not be a problem.

The best advantage The Martian had to survive was that
    he was played by Matt Damon, and they're not killing Matt Damon.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

The best advantage The Martian had to survive was that
    he was played by Matt Damon, and they're not killing Matt Damon.

"You sure about that?" - Nolan

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Makes me think of The Cold Equations.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Also coincidentally the dude who stows away worked on the life support system.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Sorce wrote: »

Also coincidentally the dude who stows away worked on the life support system.

I would actually laugh pretty hard if the crew is receiving the bad news from NASA, NASA sees the stowaway floating in the background working on something, and then the NASA folks go "nevermind, Jeffrey there designed half that system, he could build you a whole new one if he wanted. You'll actually all be completely fine."

And that's it, there's no other ship disaster.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I hope it turns out it's cosmic horror, and they all are long dead

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'm not allowed to watch the Kendrick thing in Canada. It's ok netflix, I won't bother watching it all, I understand. Oh, but you let me watch some Melissa McCarthy garbage? Man, fuck you netflix.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    i've just learned to accept that original Netflix Scifi movies are going to suck

netflix is trying hard to be the new SyFy

• Options
    I mean personally I'd rather see Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spenser and Anna Kendrick than a sixth Sharknado but that's just me.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean personally I'd rather see Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spenser and Anna Kendrick than a sixth Sharknado but that's just me.

One sec calling the police frantically to let them know the pod people started wherever you are currently living.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

One sec calling the police frantically to let them know the pod people started wherever you are currently living.

Okay yeah you got me I've seen every shitty movie Syfy has ever put out and I've met Colin Ferguson, he's delightful.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUGs4wSMdw

This looks good? Oh god it shouldn't

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't know if I've ever seen a more convincing "oh this person is completely dead inside"

Like, good on Stathem for figuring out how to sell that.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I don't know if I've ever seen a more convincing "oh this person is completely dead inside"

Like, good on Stathem for figuring out how to sell that.

Its funny the first movies I saw him in were comedies (lock stock, snatch) but his whole career after that has been selling that he's a person who laughs without mirth.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

that looks great! It's like reverse Heat.
    "Your husband has a great head, and you got your ass all the way down it!" - Pal Achino

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Guy Ritchie & Jason Statham? Sign me up and take my money.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Oh come on you know you want to see the stathaming.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

I do, I've seen so many of his shitty films, but they are almost 100% bad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Guy Ritchie and the cast seems good. Title is terrible.

• Options
    And Guy Ritchie has been on a repeated downstreak himself. So like this could be a return to form for both, or absolutely terrible, the trailer shows promise, but Ritchie movies always have good trailers.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    And Guy Ritchie has been on a repeated downstreak himself. So like this could be a return to form for both, or absolutely terrible, the trailer shows promise, but Ritchie movies always have good trailers.

The Gentlemen was great, so not sure what you're on about.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If this is Revolver terrible then no, but Gentleman classy then yes.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

The Mechanic: Resurrection took the cake for me

it literally felt like it was written by a 12 year old boy

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

The Man From UNCLE was legit good

I don't think I've liked much else recently besides that one

We had a great time with King Arthur at bad movie night, but that is not exactly a ringing endorsement

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

The Mechanic: Resurrection took the cake for me

it literally felt like it was written by a 12 year old boy

It was so bad! I mean the original wasn't great either as it was a Charles Bronson movie, but god damn.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    King Arthur was super forgettable. Man from UNCLE was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed that. The Sherlock Holmes films were both quite good, he was supposed to be doing a third one. The Gentlemen was also quite good, that might be the last movie we saw in theatres before the madness. Re-watched Rocknrolla the other night, still good.

Never saw Aladdin, didn't see any reason to but I don't put that on him.

Nosf on
  • Options
    When are we gonna get Crank 3 where it's just him running around naked dick hanging out fighting vampire drug lords?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    When are we gonna get Crank 3 where it's just him running around naked dick hanging out fighting vampire drug lords?

The possibilities for sequels are endless

"you took my legs, so now I got a mech!"
    "you took my dick, now I got a flamethrower duct taped to my crotch!"

It just ends up 100 years in the future where all his parts have been systematically stolen and he's just general grievous with 8 lightsabers and an identity crisis trying to steal his immortal parts back from the elite.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzy6ORqE9IY

Spiral with Samuel L Jackson playing Samuel L Jackson and producer Chris Rock playing Samuel L Jackson's son.

Nothing can stop me from watching this.

Absalon on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    King Arthur was super forgettable.

Hmmm...
    • Jude Law being the hammiest.
    • Giant Snake being awesome.
    • Guy Ritchie turning Arthur into a London Londinium Gangster.
    • David Beckham.
    • Odd camera gimmicks.
    • Game of Thrones cast reunion.
    • Wizards riding giant elephants.

(I really liked his King Arthur, in it's crazy, goofy way. And unlike that equally bizarre Robin Hood movie from a couple years ago I wasn't terribly bored by it.)

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/1UDQSCCRYO0

Everyone's favorite cartoon with a problematic Fandom is back!

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

This seemingly still stands
    Statham's imdb.com profile, collectively, is a promise to you, the weary filmgoer. It's a promise that says, "I promise that you will not FOR ONE SECOND be bored during one of my movies. You won't learn shit about the human condition, or feel a collective connection with the brotherhood of man. But if you give me $10, I will fuck an explosion while a Slayer song plays".

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Hummingbird makes that a lie though.

Hummingbird is good!

This discussion has been closed.