As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What scale are those goblins? I’m getting 15mm vibes.

iirc, they are regular dnd scale, just tiny reaper mini's for kobolds.

Yep! Just some tiny half height guys. Took maybe an hour of actual painting time for all 6?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Do we have a thread to discuss rpg minis? Not necessarily the painting of them, but the different companies, the quality, etc?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Do we have a thread to discuss rpg minis? Not necessarily the painting of them, but the different companies, the quality, etc?

I think you could talk about them here. Its at worst adjacent, but I think pretty relevant.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I did it! I rode to the GW store and loaded up on paint other than spray cans I am set for quite sometime!
    I have to go to work tonight but still I am happy I can start painting once more!

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I did it! I rode to the GW store and loaded up on paint other than spray cans I am set for quite sometime!
    I have to go to work tonight but still I am happy I can start painting once more!

Awesome!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »

I think you could talk about them here. Its at worst adjacent, but I think pretty relevant.

In that vein then...

How do people feel about Reaper Bones?

I am looking for dinos and cavemen and they seem to be the only ones making some of these.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021

In that vein then...

I am looking for dinos and cavemen and they seem to be the only ones making some of these.

I haven't messed with too many bones minis, but they are pretty good for the material they are cast in. Wash em off with dish soap to get any release agent off and let them dry first before priming. Besides that I like to weight the bases of any non-metal minis to give them heft.

Edit: Browse Etsy. there are tons of folks with 3d printers selling high quality prints. I bet you can find what you're looking for there without it being too much of an expense.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »
    They're soft plastic yeah? A heat gun should work. Alternatively try immersing it in hot water and seeing if that makes it more malleable before breaking out the clippers.

Heat in near-boiling water for a minute, then repose, then dunk in ice water for several minutes to re-set the plastic in the new position.

Thanks for the tips.
    Before:
    4odth3orx8lu.jpg

After:
    zdf2lqt0cya2.jpg

And later, after "after"...
    qwqlsxm8hrua.jpg
    zgbajrmqt7jx.jpg

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I have colored acrylic tubes and I want to light them up by putting an LED light at one end.

Would it be better to use a white LED or an LED that is the same color as the tube?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

In that vein then...

I haven't messed with too many bones minis, but they are pretty good for the material they are cast in. Wash em off with dish soap to get any release agent off and let them dry first before priming. Besides that I like to weight the bases of any non-metal minis to give them heft.

Edit: Browse Etsy. there are tons of folks with 3d printers selling high quality prints. I bet you can find what you're looking for there without it being too much of an expense.

I dunno. I'm zero and 2 on Etsy. Paid for one mini that has bumps all over it from the 3d printer and if I do anything to smooth those out, I lose all the detail on it. The othwr one was a really expensibe hippogriff model that I ordered at the beginning of February and haven't heard anything about yet.

Edit: scratch that. I purchased it on January 25th.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Yeah we talk about it all the time in here, because kitbashing for the hobby.

In that vein then...

I used to be a really big fan of reaper bones. As I started taking painting minis a little more seriously, I realized how much lower quality they could really be sometimes. Bang for the buck they are really good minis. For DnD they work great, not sure of the speciifcs you are looking for here. Reaper has a great search system by race/clothes/weapon and such. For dnd enemy fodder they are great and cheap. If you are getting a mini for your prized character or something, I recommend looking elsewhere if you want detail, find something close and maybe make it what you want it to be with hobby power!

GW has the seraphon, which are dinos riding dinos, and frankly the best way to get big dinos is to buy childrens toys and convert them, check out dollar stores,clearance sections, and good will.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

In that vein then...

Are you looking for actual cavemen or some kind of fantasy barbarian cavemen types?

For the latter maybe something like this? Maybe to advanced looking already?
    99120201094_UntamedBeasts01.jpg

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Yeah we talk about it all the time in here, because kitbashing for the hobby.

In that vein then...

I used to be a really big fan of reaper bones. As I started taking painting minis a little more seriously, I realized how much lower quality they could really be sometimes. Bang for the buck they are really good minis. For DnD they work great, not sure of the speciifcs you are looking for here. Reaper has a great search system by race/clothes/weapon and such. For dnd enemy fodder they are great and cheap. If you are getting a mini for your prized character or something, I recommend looking elsewhere if you want detail, find something close and maybe make it what you want it to be with hobby power!

GW has the seraphon, which are dinos riding dinos, and frankly the best way to get big dinos is to buy childrens toys and convert them, check out dollar stores,clearance sections, and good will.

Generally speaking, I find bones to be OK at best for human-type/scale characters. Indestructible but poor detail.

Where it really shines is for giant monsters etc. Softness of detail aren't particularly imporant on that scale, and higher-quality minis tend to be super expensive at that scale.

Bones can also be decent for things that aren't inherantly human; slightly off features don't matter too much on a wolf or a be-tentacled monstrosity.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bones are especially good for when you need, like, 4 each of 10 varieties of orc. Because you can spend $50 on Bones, or $500 on metal. Etc.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Bones are especially good for when you need, like, 4 each of 10 varieties of orc. Because you can spend $50 on Bones, or $500 on metal. Etc.

Or $5000 on GW :P

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    You could also just buy some dollar store toy dinosaurs and spray prime them. I did that for my nephew for Christmas as a way for him to paint stuff without dropping a ton of cash.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    I paid 250 for this
    ohn28istvzfw.png
    Not pictured the can of leadbelcher my brother had since he was going to start to prime his grey knights that morning
    The store anniversary necron I bought as well since that had to be ordered

• Options
    pardzh wrote: »
    You could also just buy some dollar store toy dinosaurs and spray prime them. I did that for my nephew for Christmas as a way for him to paint stuff without dropping a ton of cash.

He does this and makes it look unreal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sScbW7xH9gs

• Options
    So in my pursuit of figuring out instant colors, I decided to mix the dark instant color and fluorescent of the same core color, about 50/50. It really improved the lay down on the high parts of the mini while retaining the original dark shade in the recesses. I think next experiment might be to try inks. The Fluorescent paint is like paste almost out of the bottle.

o7xcwljwl8wr.jpg

• Options
    Does it still fluoresce after diluting it?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Its more that they are just SUPER bright pigment than anything actually reactive as far as I know. the small print on the bottle says "Maximum color intensity".

lv1mf2zinbog.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I find those VERY hard to use. To the point I am convinced I am doing it wrong.

J on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    N.B. fluorescence and “glow in the dark” aka phosphorescence are different things entirely. Do you have a UV (or even just very blue) torch?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    0bdzwothc59f.jpeg

Did a kitbash/conversion of a chaos spawn

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    J wrote: »
    I grabbed a couple of the GSW flourecents and they're certainly harder to use than I expected. The separation is insane - I had put a couple glass beads in one the first time I used it, and then when I went to use it again a few weeks later I had to shake it for like 2 minutes before the beads even freed themselves to act as agitators. Like, the website and bottle claim you can brush them on, but the coverage is laughable. Airbrush worked fine, and that's all I'd recommend based on my experience. But that's all to say that I felt extremely similar insofar as "am I doing this right?"

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I grabbed a couple of the GSW flourecents and they're certainly harder to use than I expected. The separation is insane - I had put a couple glass beads in one the first time I used it, and then when I went to use it again a few weeks later I had to shake it for like 2 minutes before the beads even freed themselves to act as agitators. Like, the website and bottle claim you can brush them on, but the coverage is laughable. Airbrush worked fine, and that's all I'd recommend based on my experience. But that's all to say that I felt extremely similar insofar as "am I doing this right?"

These scale75 ones are the exact opposite. They don't shake at all. They are like toothpaste consistency, but fully mixed. I'm going to have to really thin them out if I intend to brush them on.

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    People were talking about Reaper minis and I agree that especially the base Reaper Bones and what they were making with those first Kickstarter sets were pretty poor quality at 28mm compared to other options, but I've been using the Bones Black and to a more limited extent (because it's new and there aren't a lot of models yet) Bones USA and the quality is a lot better on those figures.
    oricxqlns97y.jpg

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Man that smaller model is dire

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I don't think it's that bad, so much that the newer sculpt is so much better.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Also, unpainted bones does not photograph well.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I know I keep failing at this miniature painting thing (I have a desk coming next week so I can have a workspace again, hopefully), but boy was yesterday a lesson in transferable skills.
    We were repainting a good amount of our first floor. I spent a few hours masking everything off. All those hours making scale model masks had prepared me for this moment ...
    xq1pgu883arf.jpg
    And unsurprisingly, my capabilities with a small paintbrush on a small canvas had very little overlap with a big paint brush on a large canvas. My mother assured me cutting in was easy. I can assure you bullshit. So I spent another hour masking of the ceiling after creating a mess I need to fix later. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Finished up a squad of Recon Marines to use as Incursors or Infiltrators. Was nice to change up the colour scheme a little bit and the phobos armour in genuinely cool.
    retromarines_incursors01.jpg
    retromarines_incursors02.jpg
    retromarines_incursors03.jpg

Here's a comparison between the grey recon and the standard line infantry. It's subtle, but I think it goes a long way to differentiating the two.
    retromarines_incursors04.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    The day of ascension draws near!

The Loving Parents genestealer cult were originally the crew of the imperial freighter now renamed The Star Children's Gift, travelling the galaxy in search of their divine saviors (they don't know where the 'nids are and are too few to draw 'nid attention). They occansionally make planetfall to "recruit", trade, or leave "presents" of purestrains. They are fanatically obsessed with increasing their numbers.

Group shot of my GSC KT:
    zo4rt09q50dg.jpg
    • Patriarch "The Antediluvian"
    • Magos "Mother" Seimona
    • Neophyte Leader Holluna Gorl
    • Purestrain "Junior"
    • Metamorph Leader Kreena Drevender
    • Heavy Stubber Neophyte Gunner Steen Stennvar
    • Icon Metamorph Rauss Rezzekh
    • Rock saw Acolyte Kol Madrach
    • Metamorphs Nasser Drevender, Davon Gardlinger, and Ghaskin Black
    • Grenade launcher Neophyte Gunner Basc Tarnright
    • Flamer Neophyte Gunner Xanda Rezzekh
    • Neophytes Mallicka Helm, Aldren Kreel, and Michona Black
    (The actual 100 pt list skips the two commanders and two of the metamorphs.)

Individual pics in the spoiler:
    bzoalfc1gnp1.jpg3oj4xjhu8wke.jpgrfjf1jxlw0cm.jpgd9zvfyxbvycy.jpgzr27nple378g.jpg9tgyhp9kgl11.jpgofz6vzrch4qk.jpgha2nw87q0gii.jpgopbla3gr9mqg.jpg5zae6xsfhf6y.jpg2603ghkdllla.jpgfrtim0jm6hwg.jpghsjfvcwcrxff.jpgp9ooseudeeny.jpglnda8d5qu2wg.jpgv65s3ht1ka3a.jpg

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Popular month for the store's painting contest!

Fn8x9pmh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
  • Options
    Since I really debated what to start first to paint at 3am with only the yard light I primed in the dark the figures that I built over last week some kabal troops a few of the newer necron warrior and a wych hekatrix that would not fit in the plano for her choice of weapons
    This is what I painted so far since
    qc7y1u4xcuh2.png
    dxonmn8kyn1b.png

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Still gotta do the base, but I had a blast painting up my Culexus assassin. So much more fun than a squad of mooks.
    t9bkvb5whmyw.jpg
    7cdjs9tzg7jw.jpg
    z7zev13oezuz.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Finished painting this 1/100 Miliardo Peacecraft pilot mini that came with my MG Epyon. My first painted pilot figure. I was pretty happy with how it turned out so I figured I would finally post something to this thread.a6uggzlcoibb.jpg
    xpl1ez0pou3v.jpg

I need to figure out a lens that has a more sensitive minimum focus. That's as good as I could get on the phone.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Can I interest you in a big metal friendly* Necromundan mining automata?

*citation needed

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ver nice grime. I like that there are spots where it has rubbed off.