As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hooking up Three audio plugs to One PC

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
I've seen a couple of PC switches that let you hook up two audio plugs into it (ideally, the headphones and speaker), and let you toggle between the two with the push of a button. It seems easy and affordable.

The thing is, I could really use a similar device that lets me hook up three audio plugs to it, the third being the audio plug from my TV whenever I hook up my PC to it. Does such a device exist, or does it only come in two outputs? Please help me out.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm thinking about building just this functionality into the next MixAmp from ASTRO Gaming. I'm assuming by "three wires" you mean decoded analog surround audio carried on three 3.5mm-to-3.5mm audio cables.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Uh, I just mean hooking up three audio devices (speakers, headphones, tv speakers) to one PC, one way or the other.

• Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah, I have no idea what you mean then. It helps to be more clear about whether you are hooking up pre-amplified inputs, or an amplified output, etc. "TV speakers" doesn't make me think of anything specific, either.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It might also work if you buy an additional soundcard and switch the output device in your OS of choise. Some soundcards and onboard soundchips also have multiple outputs (front and rearpanel for example) which can be configured via software. One example would be the Creative X-Fi Fatality.

Possible solutions:

- soundcards with multiple out- and inputs
    - mutliple sound devices in one PC

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytronic-3-way-audio-switch/dp/B000L9BXH4

You'll just need some RCA phono -3.5mm converters.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, it turns out I won't be needing anything, because the audio driver that came with my motherboard lets me customize all the audio ports on my PC to whatever I require. If I want this port to be for headphones and this one to be speakers, etc, it can be done.

Only one problem though (why must there always be a problem?): When I hooked up my TV to the port, the stereo is reversed. The audio test has the right speaker playing on the left, and vice versa. This doesn't occur with my PC headphones or PC speakers, so perhaps it's something to do with the cord on my TV. But the TV cord is only a single cable that hooks up to the DVI port of the TV.

Basically, if the cord is correctly hooked to the TV, what do I need to configure to get the stereo correctly outputted on my TV speakers?

• Options
    edited February 2008
    If there is no way to reverse the stereo on your PC, or the TV then a very cheap solution would be to use a combination of two chinch audio cables (red plugs, white plugs) in between. Just plug the mid in reverse order - white cable to red cable, red cable to white cable - this should take care of it.

00043265abb.jpg

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Plugging the red and white in reverse order did the trick. I never had that problem before when I hooked up the TV to the PC, but problem solved.

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    If you only get sound when the red & white ends are connected one way and not the other, you're getting your sound in mono and that's shit.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    limitbreakerxlimitbreakerx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a similar question: I have computer speakers that I use for outputting sound from my computer as well as my 360. When I play computer games, I have to plug the speaker (male) audio jack into my computer (female) port. When I play 360 games, I have to manually plug the same speaker jack into my xbox port. (I have a DVI cable from the xbox to the monitor which leaves the red and white audio cables... i have an adapter that converts it to a 3.5 mm "port"). Basically, there's two audio sources and depending on which one I want to be outputted on my speakers, I have to manually plug and unplug. Is there a better way to do this? I'm concerned because too much handling of the cable is bad. My last set of speakers "broke" due to cable problems.

limitbreakerx on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    There plenty solutions if it comes to managing a multiple sources, one speaker-set scenario.

An expensive solution is to use an amplifier which features various inputs and outputs and most likely you can also mix these.
    There are various inexpensive switches which can be used to switch between various audio sources.
    Some speakers also have more than one input for different audio sources. (Like the Edirol MA-7A)

You could also use your soundcard to "pass through" multiple inputs. As the OP found out modern soundcards let you configure which ports are inputs, and which port should be outputs. Disadvantage, you have to keep your PC running just to get sound. Depending on the noise level of your PC, it isn't that convenient. You also depend on your PCs operability and if your OS of choise allows it.
    Win9x - WinXP version could do it, Vista and OSX don't allow a software "loop-through" by default, or it depends on your soundcard's driver on these systems.

Dratatoo on