As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The US Congress

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    The fact that its 2021 and not 1921 and yet core parts of the passenger rail network are not electrified is pretty mind boggling anyway.

Standard Oil was bastards.

I mean sure, but its been a century since they broke up and the rail system is still basically running on 1912 era technology. Refined 1912 era technology, but still. And while passenger rail may be marginal in the US, freight really isn’t. Its like if 99% of the US still had dirt roads because no one in the government ever bothered to invest in pavement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

It's because a different industry actively scuttled progress. So it's more like having dirt roads because 4x4 manufacturers convinced the government no one needs pavement.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The fact that its 2021 and not 1921 and yet core parts of the passenger rail network are not electrified is pretty mind boggling anyway.

I mean sure, but its been a century since they broke up and the rail system is still basically running on 1912 era technology. Refined 1912 era technology, but still. And while passenger rail may be marginal in the US, freight really isn’t. Its like if 99% of the US still had dirt roads because no one in the government ever bothered to invest in pavement.

The main reason freight isn't electrified is because most places have a loading gauge of the sky. Vast swathes of the country don't need any tunnels or overpasses and so everything is run double stacked. (Literally ~70% of container freight on rails) I think there have even been attempts at running triple stacked containers. The clearance you'd need for that to connect the locomotive to the wires with a pantograph makes things more tricky, and the alternative means cutting efficiency and raising costs by a literal factor of 2.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

The main reason freight isn't electrified is because most places have a loading gauge of the sky. Vast swathes of the country don't need any tunnels or overpasses and so everything is run double stacked. (Literally ~70% of container freight on rails) I think there have even been attempts at running triple stacked containers. The clearance you'd need for that to connect the locomotive to the wires with a pantograph makes things more tricky, and the alternative means cutting efficiency and raising costs by a literal factor of 2.

Sure, it would be a logistics and engineering problem to make a pantograph that would allow for double stacked freight, but right now we literally have 99% of trains in the US run on electric motors that carry around massive 100 ton electric generators with them wherever they go rather than just running some wires, so...

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    In news that will probably not shock anyone, animated Axe Body Spray douchebag Matt Gaetz (R-FL) is under DoJ investigation for trafficking a 17 year old girl.

Gross but not technically statutory rape, but still trafficking a minor across state lines. After that weird thing with his mystery adopted teenage 'son' last year, I was wondering when some new news would break.

Assholes the whole lot of them. Either rapists or covering up for rapists across the whole GOP.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/545648-matt-gaetz-under-investigation-for-alleged-sexual-relations-with-17-year-old

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

oh fuck

Matthew Gertz is not Matthew Gaetz but people on twitter don't notice that fact a lot.

The best tweet about that.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    In news that will probably not shock anyone, animated Axe Body Spray douchebag Matt Gaetz (R-FL) is under DoJ investigation for trafficking a 17 year old girl.

Gross but not technically statutory rape, but still trafficking a minor across state lines. After that weird thing with his mystery adopted teenage 'son' last year, I was wondering when some new news would break.

Assholes the whole lot of them. Either rapists or covering up for rapists across the whole GOP.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/545648-matt-gaetz-under-investigation-for-alleged-sexual-relations-with-17-year-old

Huh, guess that explains his talk of early retirement today. Apparently going to Newsmax which, yeah, I'm sure they don't give a shit about him being a child sex trafficker.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Gertz put out a thing saying that ACTUALLY he’s working with the FBI to expose rogue agents trying to blackmail him and that the release of this report is part of a sting operation.

I’m not gonna link to it because fuck him (it’s on his Twitter if you really care) but that is certainly AN excuse.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Gertz put out a thing saying that ACTUALLY he’s working with the FBI to expose rogue agents trying to blackmail him and that the release of this report is part of a sting operation.

I’m not gonna link to it because fuck him (it’s on his Twitter if you really care) but that is certainly AN excuse.

You mean Gaetz

Gertz is the guy with a name like Gaetz that doesn’t deserve to be even tangentially associated with the congressman

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

oh fuck

Matthew Gertz is not Matthew Gaetz but people on twitter don't notice that fact a lot.

No, I'm going to go with this example of There's Always A Tweet, from everyone's favorite lawdog:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Amazing to watch a meltdown in near real time

Vox journalist:

Gaetz again bizarrely implicates Tucker Carlson in his own personal peccadillo, then says, "providing for flights and hotel rooms for people that you're dating who are of legal age is not a crime"
    Wow. Back from commercial, Tucker Carlson proclaims that the interview he just conducted with Gaetz was "one of the weirdest interviews I've ever conducted."

Couscous on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Gaetz was the sole member of congress to vote against funding to fight human trafficking in 2017.

Just to add to all the massive red flags.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Quid wrote: »
    Gaetz was the sole member of congress to vote against funding to fight human trafficking in 2017.

Yeah, he's absolutely fucked, and he knows it. Nobody is willing to cover for him (especially since they know that DeSantis will appoint a clone sans baggage.)

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Gaetz mentions that someone has alleged there's photos of him with child prostitutes. He claims such pictures don't exist.
    Strange how him saying that means I think those photos probably exist

Couscous on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Gaetz mentions that someone has alleged there's photos of him with child prostitutes. He claims such pictures don't exist.

The Republicans!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

You mean Gaetz

Gertz is the guy with a name like Gaetz that doesn’t deserve to be even tangentially associated with the congressman

I’m gonna go with his explanation being so stupid that it fried my brain.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah, he's absolutely fucked, and he knows it. Nobody is willing to cover for him (especially since they know that DeSantis will appoint a clone sans baggage.)

Dude is a representative, DeSantis don't get to appoint shit. Granted, he might be able drag things out for the most favorable time to hold a special election to get a republican in and he might not have to do that, but that really depends on whether it's his call to make. All said if the constituents of the district are awful enough that any old name with an R next to it will get their vote, then no BS is needed for republicans to keep the seat.

Anyways, was this also one of the fuckers that wanted to declare the winner despite the will of the people?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

oh fuck

No, I'm going to go with this example of There's Always A Tweet, from everyone's favorite lawdog:

While this is obviously referring to older people, given Florida’s retiree population, it’s also a dumb thing for a representative to say, and he’s also a stupid monster in so many other ways, that I’m happy to have this be interpreted in the worst light. He deserves it.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

my advice to all of my clients is the same: if you are ever the subject of a federal sex trafficking investigation, immediately start tweeting out a convoluted tale of criminal intrigue that poses more questions than it answers

Law Boy is a popular Twitter lawyer and podcaster

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Vox journalist:

Gaetz again bizarrely implicates Tucker Carlson in his own personal peccadillo, then says, "providing for flights and hotel rooms for people that you're dating who are of legal age is not a crime"
    Wow. Back from commercial, Tucker Carlson proclaims that the interview he just conducted with Gaetz was "one of the weirdest interviews I've ever conducted."

This might be the only time I've seen Carlson do his dumbass "I'm just a confused puppy!" face and think it may have actually been genuine.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »

my advice to all of my clients is the same: if you are ever the subject of a federal sex trafficking investigation, immediately start tweeting out a convoluted tale of criminal intrigue that poses more questions than it answers

You wouldn't know the extortionist. They're from Canada.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

God, these people are such idiots. I mean, he is either a pedophile or knowingly made money off of human trafficking involved with pedophiles, so he's pretty much turbo fucked. Even so, I have a feeling this little outburst is just going to add to his woes.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The look on Tucker's face when Gaetz says "you and I" is priceless.

Just a straight-up "Where the fuck is this going?"

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    His "Horton Hears a Who" expression, as Jane Coaston calls it

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Looked like a "shit what did my lawyer tell me to say when this happens to feign innocence" face.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The telling thing is he’s arguing about the legal predicament, not the moral ground, which he has obviously lost. Like he’s trying to squirm out of charges, but is admitting to having sex with a goddamn teenager when he was how old? And held how much more power and authority than them? And paid for their accomodations?

Jesus Christ you’re turbo fucked you human frat paddle

Prohass on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    No see he’s helping The Storm

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

The Republicans!

Tucker just blinking at a loss for words there at the end was priceless.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular

Vox journalist:

This might be the only time I've seen Carlson do his dumbass "I'm just a confused puppy!" face and think it may have actually been genuine.

I came here to post the exact same thing after seeing the video elsewhere, looooool. Tucker does that face all the time and it's infuriating and him listening to Gaetz ramble on about how innocent he is of trafficking and all the other weird shit he brought up is the only time that I thought it actually made sense.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

The Republicans!

Eh, that's the face he makes for literally every segment he's ever done. He has the same bewildered look when guests suggest minorities are people.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I was almost reading what Gaetz saying to Tucker as a threat of "help me or I'm taking you with me," and Tucker's not biting.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

The Republicans!

Eh, that's the face he makes for literally every segment he's ever done. He has the same bewildered look when guests suggest minorities are people.

Sure? I don't watch Tucker Carlson, what I was really referring to is when Gaetz finishes his rant, there is just this silence with that look and Tucker is like "what do I say to that?"

• Options
    edited March 2021
    What’s funny is all conservatives are in a kind of collective bargaining of evil, where they all get together and have their own little evils they need to protect and so as a collective they assume everyone will protect everyone else and so you get lots of “hey we all do” and “am I right guys?” They’re all in it for themselves and for their own selfishness, and the dumber ones mistake that mutual cover for brotherhood

And without fail they’ll turn on each other when they can because they’re all snakes

Prohass on
  • Options
    Gaetz is the guy who thinks he's been able to talk his way out of any problem, when in reality what's happened is that other people have cleaned up his messes because he has use for them (see: his long history of DUIs getting pushed under the radar.)

He's about to find out that this time, he's stepped into it so deep, those people are going to find it easier to just replace him.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Due to the nature of the allegations, the media owes the public a more detailed accounting of the situation with Gaetz and his “son.”

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Gaetz is the guy who thinks he's been able to talk his way out of any problem, when in reality what's happened is that other people have cleaned up his messes because he has use for them (see: his long history of DUIs getting pushed under the radar.)

He's about to find out that this time, he's stepped into it so deep, those people are going to find it easier to just replace him.

This is one where I am pretty sure that even if it turns out none of the allegations about trafficking are true and DoJ drops the investigation, Gaetz is well and truly done. He isn't leaning into 'she said she was 18' or anything of that nature, he isn't really even trying to deny the charges so much as just saying he is being blackmailed.

Which to be fair, maybe he is being blackmailed. Wouldn't care, couldn't happen to a nicer asshole. But if that blackmail material is, you know, him having sex with a minor (age of consent or not) and then violating sex trafficking laws by flying her around, it is completely tangential to his career being over.

I'm betting by the end of this he is going to be PNG and not even able to get a slot on Newsmax or any of the shit networks. No loyalty among the right wing once you've outlived your usefulness.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

This is one where I am pretty sure that even if it turns out none of the allegations about trafficking are true and DoJ drops the investigation, Gaetz is well and truly done. He isn't leaning into 'she said she was 18' or anything of that nature, he isn't really even trying to deny the charges so much as just saying he is being blackmailed.

Which to be fair, maybe he is being blackmailed. Wouldn't care, couldn't happen to a nicer asshole. But if that blackmail material is, you know, him having sex with a minor (age of consent or not) and then violating sex trafficking laws by flying her around, it is completely tangential to his career being over.

I'm betting by the end of this he is going to be PNG and not even able to get a slot on Newsmax or any of the shit networks. No loyalty among the right wing once you've outlived your usefulness.

Honestly, I think it depends on if Trump punts him to the curb or not. I'd wager he will, and Gaetz will be the latest in a long line of "He won't turn on ME!" participants in Loser Apprentice.

But I can also see the possibility that Trump doesn't, in a fit of pique, as running with this is exactly the kind of "own the libs" shit that got hundreds of thousands of people killed. That this is just another witch hunt against a Trump supporter.

It should be noted, that this investigation was started under Barr, and that Trump and his advisors were briefed on it while he was still President. That'll be skipped over in statements/coverage, if they decide it's a witch hunt (cause it doesn't fit their narrative if it's not under Biden).

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

The Republicans!

Tucker loves him Whataboutisms. And he loves to pretend he’s unbiased. He’s going to use this Gaetz thing for a while to show he’s about accountability no matter the political leaning. And so he’s going to keep with it because it’s good ratings and then what about the clintons relationship with Epstein out the other side of his mouth. *barf*

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

The Republicans!

Tucker loves him Whataboutisms. And he loves to pretend he’s unbiased. He’s going to use this Gaetz thing for a while to show he’s about accountability no matter the political leaning. And so he’s going to keep with it because it’s good ratings and then what about the clintons relationship with Epstein out the other side of his mouth. *barf*

Then halfway through his show, he’ll do a 180 and double down, asking “What even is a sex trafficking a minor?”

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Gaetz claims he's being extorted but like... the story broke. So where is the "give us money or else" part of his claim?

Also seeing as he name-dropped someone and accused him of a crime, doesn't that open the door to civil action in a court?

• Options
    In less disgust inducing news, Biden is going to unveil his Infrastructure Week today. Supposedly the preliminary numbers look like this. From WaPo:

q5zikd7b67nm.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/03/30/biden-infrastructure-plan-jobs/

This discussion has been closed.