As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Play by Mail RPGs

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited March 2021 in Help / Advice Forum
Super shot in the dark here.

Back in the days before everyone had an internet connection, around the late 80s/early 90s, I found an ad in a fantasy magazine or something for a play by mail rpg. There were a few of these, but basically you filled out a turn order sheet, then mailed it and about $3 to some group that would then mail out weekly newsletters on the hex grid fantasy realm this game was played in, and the fighting and adventuring your party had done resulting from your paid order sheet.

I only got to play a few times because $3 a week was pretty expensive to me as a young lad, but this morning I was struck by immense nostalgia for the hundreds of times I read the mailings I got from this game.

I would be keen to read up on it, do some research, or just bask in nostalgia if anyone knows what I'm talking about. So far I've had no luck searching, because so many of the search strings also loop in online concepts which bury what I'm looking for, if it's there at all.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and especially recall the name of the game or company or anything?

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    While I don't remember specific companies, I remember seeing these ads in Dragon (and probably Dungeon) magazine, whose back issues are all up on the internet archive so you should be able to find them with a little
    browsing.

E: Here we go: https://archive.org/details/DragonMagazine260_201801/DragonMagazine093/page/n13/mode/2up

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    Oh heck yeah, thanks!

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Oh I remember these ads! I never played them because they were expensive. I used to see them in 80s video game magazines in the UK.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Oh I remember these ads! I never played them because they were expensive. I used to see them in 80s video game magazines in the UK.
    My buddy was trying to recreate one on a Bulletin board system (BBS) but the game creators were super against it and it ended in failure. If I remember back that far I think the game was called Legends.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    While I don't remember specific companies, I remember seeing these ads in Dragon (and probably Dungeon) magazine, whose back issues are all up on the internet archive so you should be able to find them with a little
    browsing.

E: Here we go: https://archive.org/details/DragonMagazine260_201801/DragonMagazine093/page/n13/mode/2up

This is an amazing revelation for so many reasons, not least of which is remembering how terrible Nodwick was.

Edit: Oh shit I'd forgotten the Duelist.

Darkewolfe on