As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hmmm, that is interesting. I went to a private trade college, I wonder if that would count.

@#pipe signs point to yes :)

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

(CBC Toronto is the Toronto affiliate of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, an organization that sometimes has a news department)

Tweet text:
    Conservative delegates at the party's policy convention have voted to reject adding green-friendly statements to the policy book — including a line that would have stated the party believes "climate change is real" and is "willing to act."
    https://cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-delegates-reject-climate-change-is-real-1.5957739

----

Not a surprise, I think. If they voted yes, they still wouldn't have done anything substantial about it.

ChicoBlue on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    I have been laughing about this all morning

Love to hear the party policy completely differ from the leader's keynote speech less than 12 hours later, very coherent messaging

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Hello Canada Thread

How uh, how we all doing

Definitely not doomscrolling and willing for there to be some level of public health measures to happen, right??

Steam
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The government here announced that it’s officially a third wave and that they’re not gonna do anything on the same day, so that’s fun

sig.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    From my POV over here in the states, Ford looks as incompetent and blatantly corrupt as Trump. I'm as scared for my friends in Ontario as I am for those in Florida or Texas.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Oh welp it just came out that they're actually gonna reactivate restrictions this evening.

sig.gif
    From my POV over here in the states, Ford looks as incompetent and blatantly corrupt as Trump. I'm as scared for my friends in Ontario as I am for those in Florida or Texas.

I'm far more worried about Ontario actually, considering the States are actually at least vaccinating people.

sig.gif

He isn't 1:1 - Ford thinks he's doing his best and he's helping people and actually exhibits compassion sometimes, he prides himself on being approachable, and he has actually put restrictions in place. There are still restrictions on the number of people indoors, in retail and restaurant settings, we have mask mandates, and he's still likely to initiate a stay-at-home order, potentially announcing it Thursday and having it hit Monday if the last few times are any indication.

Thing is he is also very, very stupid and wants to help his friends more than people he will never meet, and thinks helping businesses is important because his friends are all business guys and he can empathize there better. He's the type to genuinely think closing businesses will hurt more people than the actual disease, and he has to contend with a party that is similarly filled with less brilliant people who are going to fight to keep things open, because they'd rather maintain votes for next time. And the third wave was very avoidable if they'd have maintained our mockdown for another month.

We're not as fucked as we would be with a Trump, or the governors of Texas or Florida, but the next month is gonna be fucking rough before it gets better.

Steam
    God if we locked down for a month like we did a year ago now this thing would be OVER. That plus the first-dose immunity from the vaccines they're getting out there would probably be enough. It's so frustrating.

sig.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah people are starting to break ranks and get angry now that this farce is back for a third time

it's really interesting that a conservative populist like Ford is in charge right now, since its his FordNation people who want to just lift all restrictions and pretend the virus isn't happening while it's going apeshit on everybody

Brolo wrote: »
    yeah people are starting to break ranks and get angry now that this farce is back for a third time

it's really interesting that a conservative populist like Ford is in charge right now, since its his FordNation people who want to just lift all restrictions and pretend the virus isn't happening while it's going apeshit on everybody

And like, in Ottawa, these restaurants and salons have only been reopened for a matter of weeks, and made modifications to their interiors, etc

Closing them down again could be the death blow for a lot of places that have held out this far

It's all just so unnecessary when they just had to hold out a few more fuckin' weeks before ripping the door open

Steam
    edited March 2021
    BC got our restrictions and Horgan promptly put his foot directly in his face by razzing the 20-39yo cohort about partying :confused:

Usagi on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    BC got our restrictions and Horgan promptly put his foot directly in his face by razzing the 20-39yo cohort about partying :confused:

Doesn't help that there's basically no supports in place for that age group, who are most likely to be working frontline jobs. Very, very poor messaging. The government communications is just atrocious, considering how many communications staff government carries.

:so_raven:
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of the population here in Ontario is giving up too and acting as if we are starting to get into the clear, rather than actually heading towards the worst point we've been at.

A lot of people straight up don't follow the restrictions outside of ones they can't avoid (like wearing masks in public places).

The vaccine rollout is very slow as you all know. I know two people who've had one, my 75 year old Dad and my girlfriend (who works in health care). I have pretty much no clue when I will get one. And I'm an essential worker in critical infrastructure.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The same thing is happening in NB. I think it's part and parcel with the spring coming and people being locked inside all winter. I'm not going to be surprised if we start to see an increase of cases prior to people getting vaccinated.

Al_wat wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of the population here in Ontario is giving up too and acting as if we are starting to get into the clear, rather than actually heading towards the worst point we've been at.

A lot of people straight up don't follow the restrictions outside of ones they can't avoid (like wearing masks in public places).

The vaccine rollout is very slow as you all know. I know two people who've had one, my 75 year old Dad and my girlfriend (who works in health care). I have pretty much no clue when I will get one. And I'm an essential worker in critical infrastructure.

Part of it is no one is particularly clear on what any of the restrictions even are, and they're burnt out on watching the case numbers, and every US site is full of euphoria about shots while well, I know one guy who got his yesterday as a person who operates a clinic, and my 70 year old dad is finally getting his Sunday

It is exhausting and crushing and I am so goddamn tired and I haven't physically seen a friend since January and I'd like to fast forward this month

Steam
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    It is true, no one knows what the restrictions are. It almost feels intentionally obtuse and toothless.

Really hoping things don't get out of control in the next few weeks

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Cases are going up dramatically in the most populous provinces. Government has been too slow to respond, vaccine supply was always going to be too limited to prevent this, and these increases were obviously coming.

Just a complete total abdication of leadership by the premiers.

:so_raven:
    Al_wat wrote: »
    It is true, no one knows what the restrictions are. It almost feels intentionally obtuse and toothless.

Really hoping things don't get out of control in the next few weeks

If you ask Dr. Juni of the science table, it's already out of control in Ontario! Exciting stuff!

Steam
    According to a Toronto Sun tweet which I'm not gonna link because A. It's from the Sun and B. Probably means Brian Lilley's girlfriend leaked it to him since she's Ford's press secretary

Anyway apparently Ontario is either announcing a 28 day lockdown tomorrow or regional specific lockdowns

cool

Steam
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    my parents are getting vaccinated tomorrow so i'm actually having a relatively good day

liEt3nH.png
    my parents are getting vaccinated tomorrow so i'm actually having a relatively good day

Dad is getting his on Sunday and it is just such a relief

Mom's 65 and my sister hits the BMI requirement so hopefully they won't be far behind while I wait for late May or early June or whatnot

Steam
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

I really love the whole "the 20-39 demographic is currently the group most exposed to the virus, so let's put them at the back of the vaccine line and publicly yell at them for getting sick" thing.

I know there's a few groups of idiots but I also gotta wonder how many instances of "there were ten cases in town today, all people in their twenties" were public-facing employees getting nailed by some customer who's shielded by their freedom or what-have-you.

the thing for me is like

if you tell someone they have to work an unimportant front-facing job, surrounded by people who are apathetic enough towards their health to spend a bunch of time indoors during a pandemic, and then you tell that person "don't you dare go gather with friends or fucking HUG SOMEONE"

what message are they supposed to get

either their job is needlessly cruel and now they need outlets to handle that cruelty, or their job isn't needlessly cruel and they're being told to be safe from everyone for no reason

liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2021
    Details on the Ontario lockdown here

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/toronto/2021/3/31/1_5370752.html

No word on when it would start

Edit: CBC is saying Saturday apparently

Cello on
    Steam
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My parents are getting their vaccines on April 12th, though it'll probably be several months until they can get their second dose

I'm probably expecting late june to early july for my own first dose

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    My parents are getting their vaccines on April 12th, though it'll probably be several months until they can get their second dose

I'm probably expecting late june to early july for my own first dose

When I got mine they said I'd get a call or an email or whatever to book my 2nd shot in 4 months.

The resistance given by the first dose is very good though, so hopefully wide spread first doses and delayed second doses will make community transmission drop down to nothing.

I sure hope so, BC had +1000 new cases yesterday

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    the thing for me is like

if you tell someone they have to work an unimportant front-facing job, surrounded by people who are apathetic enough towards their health to spend a bunch of time indoors during a pandemic, and then you tell that person "don't you dare go gather with friends or fucking HUG SOMEONE"

what message are they supposed to get

either their job is needlessly cruel and now they need outlets to handle that cruelty, or their job isn't needlessly cruel and they're being told to be safe from everyone for no reason

It synergizes really nicely with the fact that North American society's spend the last fifteen years constantly training itself to believe anyone in their thirties or younger is irredeemably Bad and that everything wrong should be pinned on them, too. Why point fingers at provincial governments halfassing things or being indifferent to antimasker movements when there's a whole generation just hanging out as the official designated scapegoat?

Gah, insert string of obscenities here.

edited April 2021
    So, the "lockdown" does not include schools, and the only changes to Grey zones like Toronto, Peel, and Hamilton are......closing the patios and outdoor fitness that opened 11 days ago

This obviously does nothing for the real drivers of spread - manufacturing, schools, essential jobs that are not truly essential, etc - or policies that would reduce them like sick leave, while our ICUs are already delaying high priority non-covid illnesses

I think I am going to become the Joker

Cello on
    Steam
    3uwgaxe91f9d.png

liEt3nH.png
    If anyone else is Ontarian and hasn't seen it since it was overwhelmed by the incredibly depressing news of not having real pandemic restrictions, the AZ doses are being released in more pharmacies for everyone 55+; if you have parents to register etc, use the list to find the waitlists to register for individual pharmacies and chains, with vaccinations starting Saturday

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/vaccine-locations

Steam
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Cello wrote: »
    So, the "lockdown" does not include schools, and the only changes to Grey zones like Toronto, Peel, and Hamilton are......closing the patios and outdoor fitness that opened 11 days ago

This obviously does nothing for the real drivers of spread - manufacturing, schools, essential jobs that are not truly essential, etc - or policies that would reduce them like sick leave, while our ICUs are already delaying high priority non-covid illnesses

I think I am going to become the Joker

This world already has a some many Jokers, and they're the heads of government.

What this world needs... Is a person willing to beat the batshit out of Jokers. A batperson, if you will.

Except that no one with the means can become the Batperson, because the rich have class solidarity tighter than a nun's asshole.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    my folks got their first shot, recently. mine is scheduled for next monday.

things are shit, but this rules, at least.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Same!! My dad got his Pfizer yesterday, and my Mom is booked for AZ on Wednesday. No idea when I'll be, mind, but with that and how it seems suddenly 90 percent of my friends' parents and/or my aunts and uncles suddenly have appointments in the next week, it is the first brief glimmer of hope I've had in I don't know how long

The lack of action from Ford's cronies is really challenging how long I'll have even that much, but still

Steam
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    BC just put up a universal vaccine signup form
    https://www.getvaccinated.gov.bc.ca/s/

You can sign up now and as soon as you're in an eligible group you'll be contacted to book an appointment.

#pipe wrote: »
    BC just put up a universal vaccine signup form
    https://www.getvaccinated.gov.bc.ca/s/

You can sign up now and as soon as you're in an eligible group you'll be contacted to book an appointment.

This is a good idea and I'm a little envious from out here

Steam
    It's ABOUT to be go for essential workers and the chronically ill in Quebec, as well as being for everyone over 60 in a bunch of regions (including where my parents and in-laws live, yay!)

My dad already has his first shot, my mom has her appointment on May 1st (could have gotten it earlier but realized too late), and I have a brother and a brother in law who are essential workers so they should get theirs soon too.

sig.gif