As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New to PAX? Read this first and ask questions here

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    The hombows in Pike Place are good. I'm not a hombow snob, but they're not crap azn food either. Not to mention the price is easy and right, so I stick by Mee Sum. There are a lot of other places in Pike Place to get food, I just remember that one in particular because it was tasty and filling.

The question I would ask is, have you ever even had (good) dim sum? If not, you really need a frame of reference before you can write off the comparison. Seattle's hidden treasures aren't going to come to anybody, people have to go and find them. I keep trying to get people to discover the international district. Everybody goes to Pike Place, and I love it too, but people need to mix it up.

I've had BAD food before. These hombows are not BAD. They are edible and delicious. When I'm walking Pike Place and I want a bite to eat, I'm not looking for gourmet or the best damn dim sum in the city. I'm looking for something to eat.

I say again: The hombows in Pike Place are good.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of gameworks, does anyone know if prepaid cards from last year can still be used this year? I think I've still got about $15 on mine.

Sl1pstream on
  • TwiztidKTwiztidK Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BYOC?
    I assume it means 'Bring Your Own Computer' or something of the sort but I'm not quite sure.

TwiztidK on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Yes, it means exactly that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TwiztidKTwiztidK Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok, thanks.

TwiztidK on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As far as I know the game cards don't expire. I'm not 100% on this, but I know I've used mine a number of times. I think I still have like 35 on mine, so I hope they don't expire!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gameworks' remodel is done: they added a full sports bar downstairs, as well as a whole section for crane games (specifically, Sega's UFO Catcher machines). As for how good they are as an arcade...it's hit and miss. It's got a lot of great games, but sometimes one can go months without being fixed (currently DDR Supernova), and sometimes they make stupid decisions (putting the other DDR games right next to Guitar Freaks and Drum Mania, with those games' volumes set so loud you can't hear the DDR music). But then they sometimes do cool stuff, like they currently have Virtua Fighter 5 in a dual-cabinet sitdown configuration, where each player gets his own large LCD screen. And I just love how they are always open until midnight or 1 am. But then they don't get new games very often - anyone who was there last year, wouldn't see hardly any new games at all.

If you bought a card from them last year, it should still work, with the money you had left last year - they've only changed their card system once that I'm aware of, and normal points have no time limit - as long as the card itself hasn't had its stuff erased or corrupted.

Dreamwriter on
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gameworks' remodel is done: they added a full sports bar downstairs, as well as a whole section for crane games (specifically, Sega's UFO Catcher machines). As for how good they are as an arcade...it's hit and miss. It's got a lot of great games, but sometimes one can go months without being fixed (currently DDR Supernova), and sometimes they make stupid decisions (putting the other DDR games right next to Guitar Freaks and Drum Mania, with those games' volumes set so loud you can't hear the DDR music). But then they sometimes do cool stuff, like they currently have Virtua Fighter 5 in a dual-cabinet sitdown configuration, where each player gets his own large LCD screen. And I just love how they are always open until midnight or 1 am. But then they don't get new games very often - anyone who was there last year, wouldn't see hardly any new games at all.

If you bought a card from them last year, it should still work, with the money you had left last year - they've only changed their card system once that I'm aware of, and normal points have no time limit - as long as the card itself hasn't had its stuff erased or corrupted.

I have been to Game Works in Vegas and the one in Seattle last year. The Vegas one is geared towards kids. I guess you gotta drop em somewhere while you go gamble away their college fund. :| The one in Seattle has a bar. Winner=Seattle. I was throughly impressed by the huge 8(?) player racing game by Sega. But then, we are pretty hard up for arcades 'round here in the sticks.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    The hombows in Pike Place are good. I'm not a hombow snob, but they're not crap azn food either. Not to mention the price is easy and right, so I stick by Mee Sum. There are a lot of other places in Pike Place to get food, I just remember that one in particular because it was tasty and filling.

The question I would ask is, have you ever even had (good) dim sum? If not, you really need a frame of reference before you can write off the comparison. Seattle's hidden treasures aren't going to come to anybody, people have to go and find them. I keep trying to get people to discover the international district. Everybody goes to Pike Place, and I love it too, but people need to mix it up.

I've had BAD food before. These hombows are not BAD. They are edible and delicious. When I'm walking Pike Place and I want a bite to eat, I'm not looking for gourmet or the best damn dim sum in the city. I'm looking for something to eat.

I say again: The hombows in Pike Place are good.

Also, from the same place, Pork BBQ Sticks. MMmmmmm.
    And admittedly, though it's one of those "quarter siphoning" games, I always liked... shoot, I can't find its name. Maybe you guys know it. It was a rail shooter where you're on a helicopter, and the gun you used was this ENORMOUS railgun that you had to hold with both hands to keep steady on the pivot it was mounted on. If I remember correctly, the premise of the game was that you were in a police helicopter flying through a big city, and shooting bad guys (I think they were robots... when you hit one, they'd explode in a halo of light). Anyways, whatever game that was, it was awesome dispite the quarter-munchiness.

LA Machine Guns.

cabinet.jpg

Which is the 'sequel' to Gunblade.

1181242121268.jpg

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Legacy wrote: »

LA Machine Guns.

lamachineguns

Which is the 'sequel' to Gunblade.

Gunblade

Ha!

I was just talking to a buddy, the other day, about how awesome they were.

Highfire on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    YES! That's the one! Gunblade! What an awesome game!

Well called!

EDIT: At first I thought LA Machine guns might've been it... but then I looked at the gun. Definitely, it was Gunblade I had played. I'd never had that much fun with a rail shooter before. The gun was so big and heavy... it enabled something primal and deeply trapped within me, I think. =) They actually asked me to "tone it down" because me and the guy (don't know who he was) that was playing next to me were yelling at the screen. "Die, bitches! Eat lead sucka! What, you want some o' this?"

Usually I pass on gun games, but man... that was awesome.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • luxeraluxera Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    OK so this will be the first PAX for my friend and I. Also it is my first time on the west coast (Colorado being my previous westest place, I live in North Carolina). So my question is, which hotel is the nicest. I see the imperial or whatever has corner suites. But if the sheraton is nicer in general i will stay there. Man i cant wait.

luxera on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Roosevelt < Sheraton < Hyatt

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fun things to do in Seattle when not PAXing? I like history, if that helps. Also we won't have a car.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
    edited January 2008
    Fun things to do in Seattle when not PAXing? I like history, if that helps. Also we won't have a car.

Sounds like you'd be up for the Underground Tour - back in the day Seattle was rebuilt on top of itself, the Underground Tour takes you through some of the original streets underneath the current ones. It's a bit of a walk to Pioneer Square where it starts, but you can bus there for free.

Dreamwriter on
    edited January 2008

Sounds like you'd be up for the Underground Tour - back in the day Seattle was rebuilt on top of itself, the Underground Tour takes you through some of the original streets underneath the current ones. It's a bit of a walk to Pioneer Square where it starts, but you can bus there for free.

That sounds very cool. And it says they will do private tours, I wonder if we've got enough interested people around here to do that?

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
  • toddc76toddc76 Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    There is a small group of us heading out from MA that may be interested in the underground tour.

After looking at PAX for years we have decided to finally make the trek. Hotel rooms booked and plane tickets bought.

-T

toddc76 on
  • mastablasta6mastablasta6 Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    I have wanted to go to PAX for a while, and I might get a chance to go to PAX '08. However, my time would be limited. I live on the East Coast, and have school the week before and after PAX. Thusly, I would only be there for Saturday and part of Sunday. Is it worth going, or should I wait for PAX '09? (I'm hoping it could be a little earlier next year...)

mastablasta6 on
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every oppurtunity; an optimist sees the oppurtunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
    "My God! This room has a clock!" - Myself, after a moment of oblivious...ness...
    edited January 2008
    Dude, do what the rest of us do and skip class. Seriously, I know it doesn't sound cool, but it's the first week of classes, there's nothing important going on there. Bump back departure to Tuesday and return to the following Wednesday and you can drive out with the CCST. It's the best way to travel.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2008
    Heck, I plan on telling my professors I have a previous commitment and I'm a graduate student. :D I'll miss, max, two days of class, depending on what my schedule will be, but we're going to fly (sorry west coast train trip people).

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A quick question about the special hotel rates!
    The Grand Hyatt
    ($169 for singles or doubles, $179 for corner suites)

Sheraton
    ($169 for singles or doubles)

The Roosevelt Hotel
    ($165 for singles or doubles)

So is the special rate for a single night or for 3 days 2 nights or what?

edit: According to the site that's per night. Total at the Hyatt: $338.00 USD

TankHammer on
    edited January 2008
    *ALL* hotel prices quoted anywhere online are for per night unless otherwise specified.

BigRed on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    *ALL* hotel prices quoted anywhere online are for per night unless otherwise specified.

Well I knew Khoo worked out a special deal so I wasn't sure if it was a package or what.

TankHammer on
  • HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This will be my first time going to PAX, what is the exhibit floor like, will there be things to buy and if so we talking good street prices or OMFG that cost me my spleen?

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008

Well I knew Khoo worked out a special deal so I wasn't sure if it was a package or what.

The special deal is $170 rather than 225-375 a night :P

BigRed on
    edited January 2008
    Haterot wrote: »
    This will be my first time going to PAX, what is the exhibit floor like, will there be things to buy and if so we talking good street prices or OMFG that cost me my spleen?

The exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies *cough*nVidia*cough*

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2008
    Haterot wrote: »

Is there anything Youtube can't answer? :P

2007 Exhibition Hall tour, part 1
    2007 Exhibition Hall tour, part 2

Of course, this year the hall is twice as big as last year(!), and of course it's a much better experience in person.

Dreamwriter on
  • ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So much to plan, got a good 7 months to do so and I'm sure I'll still forget something major like my pants.

Out of the three hotels listed on the site does anyone recomend one in particular over the others since they're all pretty much the same price.

Edit: Just watched the videos and fortunately it seems like not every single inch is just crushed with people which is kind of a relief. I'm sure it is around certain really hot stuff and events but like the International Auto Show around here can be hard just to walk sometimes which isn't fun and you can't see anything.

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, there's enough other cool stuff going on at all times during PAX, that the Exhibition Hall rarely gets too crowded. Probably the worst time would be right after the keynote speech, but there are still other things going on so not everyone goes there afterwards (and the hall is open during the keynote, so if you really want you can play hookie and have a good time playing in an emptyish exibition hall)

Dreamwriter on
    edited January 2008
    So much to plan, got a good 7 months to do so and I'm sure I'll still forget something major like my pants.

Out of the three hotels listed on the site does anyone recomend one in particular over the others since they're all pretty much the same price.

Edit: Just watched the videos and fortunately it seems like not every single inch is just crushed with people which is kind of a relief. I'm sure it is around certain really hot stuff and events but like the International Auto Show around here can be hard just to walk sometimes which isn't fun and you can't see anything.

BigRed on
    edited January 2008

We would appreciate some elaboration.

Also isn't "A > B > C" the standard way to describe things? I mean, best to worst instead of worst to best?

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Being lazy and not wanting to map out the locations of the listed hotels in the PAX website versus where the convention center is, how close are the three hotels to the convention center?

Anyone know off the top of their heads which ones are within a few blocks or walking distance? Hopefully all of them?

Ardor on
    edited January 2008
    Hyatt and Sheraton are like 100 feet from the WSCTC door

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A quick question about the special hotel rates!
    The Grand Hyatt
    ($169 for singles or doubles, $179 for corner suites)

Sheraton
    ($169 for singles or doubles)

The Roosevelt Hotel
    ($165 for singles or doubles)

So is the special rate for a single night or for 3 days 2 nights or what?

I just finished registering at the Hyatt (Yes! Scored a corner suite!) and can confirm that special rate holds for Thursday night. I'm really looking forward to experiencing day zero.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited January 2008

We would appreciate some elaboration.

Also isn't "A > B > C" the standard way to describe things? I mean, best to worst instead of worst to best?

BIGRED DOES THINGS HIS OWN WAY

Ive stayed in nearly every single hotel in downtown seattle (I used to do event support for a living so ive worked many shows in the WSCTC). Not sure how I can elaborate without answering specific questions

Roosevelt is nice
    Sheraton is nicer
    Hyatt is nicest. (= Swank)

BigRed on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hyatt and Sheraton are like 100 feet from the WSCTC door

Awesome, thanks.

Ardor on
    edited January 2008
    How long is the walk from the convention center to the Roosevelt? My husband was looking at the maps and said it was only about a block or so away.

I was just asking about the hotels because at the Roosevelt you can get a jacuzzi suite for the same price as a regular room under the group rate, so for the four days we will be there $60 less than a corner suite at the Hyatt. The Roosevelt seemed to have an interesting vibe too. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't actually a bad place to stay I guess.

Also I assume that all three hotels will fill up with PAXers so we won't feel like exiled or something because we're not staying at the popular hotel.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Yeah all the hotels will sell out so they will all be filled with paxers. Roosevelt is also only 1 block away.

BigRed on
  • shineshine Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    Looking around at the hotels in Seattle I found the Pike Street Suites; it looks like a pretty cool place. Can anyone tell me if they might get included in hotel options for PAX? Will there be anymore hotel options for PAX...or are the three listed all that will be included?

Also, my husband and I are coming from Canada. Would anyone know what kind of exchange rate we're looking at at the hotels? The touristy place I used to work for here would charge 2 or 3 percent more then the local bank rate. Would it be better to purchase USD at a bank here and pay the hotel with cash?

shine on
  • HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Couldn't get a room at the Hyatt (wanted to stay a couple extra days) So booked at the Roosevelt. Hopefully it's close enough that the walk won't become tiring.

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.