As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Just look at the screen!

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Is there some connection between the Raiders and coffins? (and spiderwebs?) I assume that's the reason for the colourscheme, but I feel like I'm missing some other context about American football that might explain it.

I can't work out why there's a great big TV on the wall and then a smaller TV under it at knee level?
    [img]http s://ssl.cdn-redfin.com/photo/235/mbphoto/716/genMid.MDAA462716_11_0.jpg[/img]

The basement is very much dedicated to a single purpose and nothing else:
    [img]https ://ssl.cdn-redfin.com/photo/235/mbphoto/716/genMid.MDAA462716_39_0.jpg[/img]

and that is a _lot_ of mirrors in the bedroom.
    genMid.MDAA462716_27_0.jpg

then, just when I thought I'd seen it all, the first shot of the back garden...

Mirrors and some serious supports bolted to the bed frame. That couple has some fun.

Though I do really like the layout of that house.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Is there some connection between the Raiders and coffins? (and spiderwebs?) I assume that's the reason for the colourscheme, but I feel like I'm missing some other context about American football that might explain it.

Nah, no context missed. This is my favorite take:

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'd probably pull some of the more off the wall goth stuff, but that is a pretty cool house.

And they talk about the basement being filled with mannequins but it was a sex dungeon. 100% sex dungeon house.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    genMid.MDAA462716_39_0.jpg

I am very certain that basement had "furniture" that was removed for the staging.

The bed features a few too many "attachment points" for me to disagree.

genMid.MDAA462716_39_0.jpg

I am very certain that basement had "furniture" that was removed for the staging.

The bed features a few too many "attachment points" for me to disagree.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I am jealous, that is a legit rad setup.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    That house actually seems pretty nice, outside of the awful themed decorations anyway. Pretty cheap too, is Baltimore an affordable city or something? Or is that just the decontamination discount?

• KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    There are certainly parts of Baltimore that are real cheap

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    There are certainly parts of Baltimore that are real cheap
    Yeah. That is true you can get a house for under 100k. And it’s apparently really fashionable to buy a really jacked up row house in a “rough” area of Baltimore and renovate it to a nice modern place.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Carpy wrote: »
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    What is zoopla? Also, why are you monsters awesoming cat theft? Someone should have posted a hydra or bro icon, so all those sweet points could go to someone lazy posting. Like usual.

Is there a word for when a pet decides to take up a second owner on the down low? Pet infidelity? I think it's that.

Don't cat shame. That kitty is just polyownerous.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Someone died in that house, just saying.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    What would you prefer when it comes to a pool? Indoor? Outdoor?

Why not a little bit of both?

ebfb4ff26e91f95503a0901b3d8193bd-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

That reminds me of a guy I knew in Seattle. He had a pool in his basement/back sunroom. He used special double pane vacuum insulated windows to keep the heat in. The pool was heated, year round. He use the pool as a giant thermal battery to heat the entire house. All of the ductwork in his house led to the pool room. He had this passive air circulation loop setup so that you could feel warm air entering the main floor. The pool was heated by the central steam system running throughout the city of Seattle. This guy's energy bills were miniscule.

• StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    That_Guy wrote: »

That reminds me of a guy I knew in Seattle. He had a pool in his basement/back sunroom. He used special double pane vacuum insulated windows to keep the heat in. The pool was heated, year round. He use the pool as a giant thermal battery to heat the entire house. All of the ductwork in his house led to the pool room. He had this passive air circulation loop setup so that you could feel warm air entering the main floor. The pool was heated by the central steam system running throughout the city of Seattle. This guy's energy bills were miniscule.

That sounds awesome. On the other hand, that other example above... I don't see the point. There's not enough of the pool inside to swim in, and it's not protected from the cold. And is that an extension cord running through the pool?!

Edit: upon viewing, that is an ugly mess of a house. Of course it's under contract anyway.

StarZapper on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »

That sounds awesome. On the other hand, that other example above... I don't see the point. There's not enough of the pool inside to swim in, and it's not protected from the cold. And is that an extension cord running through the pool?!

Edit: upon viewing, that is an ugly mess of a house. Of course it's under contract anyway.

You you extension cord I say Fun line.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »

You you extension cord I say Fun line.

It's heating the pool.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    The front facade of that house is deceptively pleasant. The inside is definitely...scattered.

Also, why does the kitchen have a buffet condiment bar?

That extension coord... there's literally enough slack to run it around the outside of the pool. I just want to thread it around the exterior, so bad right now.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Maybe it was around the outside and someone said "Whoa hey, someone could trip on this and fall in the pool! There, that's much safer."

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    The front facade of that house is deceptively pleasant. The inside is definitely...scattered.

Also, why does the kitchen have a buffet condiment bar?

Maybe owned by someone who did catering? No idea there.

The bathroom wallpaper certainly is a choice, though. And I enjoy the power strip hanging from the ceiling supplying power to the washing machine and something else. Couldn't have the electrician attach a conduit to the wall for an outlet there when you had the 240 run, huh?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    The Baltimore Sun interviewed the owner of the goth batchelor pad. And his moving is for happy reasons:
    Nicholson said his house is on the market because he’s moving into her home in Frederick, which has more space. She loves the décor of his Anne Arundel house, he said.

He thinks his mom would have, too, since she was the one who took him to see horror movies when he was a child. When he was designing the bar, he searched the internet for inspiration and found only one bar like it, in New Orleans — and that one only had a single hearse.

The Baltimore Sun interviewed the owner of the goth batchelor pad. And his moving is for happy reasons:
    Nicholson said his house is on the market because he’s moving into her home in Frederick, which has more space. She loves the décor of his Anne Arundel house, he said.

He thinks his mom would have, too, since she was the one who took him to see horror movies when he was a child. When he was designing the bar, he searched the internet for inspiration and found only one bar like it, in New Orleans — and that one only had a single hearse.
    I know where that’s at, that is not a super great neighborhood, but I looked at the listing. Other than removing the creepy mirrors, it has a good kitchen.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The weird indoor/outdoor pool almost makes sense to me. If it's a shitty day out you can still hang out in the inside bit of your pool, if you're just super into hanging out in the pool.

The condiment bar in the kitchen, though...that's next level fucking weird. Everything else seems "well, it seemed like a good idea at the time" but that needs some specific reasoning behind it.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The weird indoor/outdoor pool almost makes sense to me. If it's a shitty day out you can still hang out in the inside bit of your pool, if you're just super into hanging out in the pool.

The condiment bar in the kitchen, though...that's next level fucking weird. Everything else seems "well, it seemed like a good idea at the time" but that needs some specific reasoning behind it.

Looking at it closely I'm almost wondering if those two spigot things on the right end are taps for kegs. If the cabinet on the left was a liquor cabinet and they threw a lot of parties it would almost make sense as a mixing station for drinks. Overkill sized for sure but that's about all I can come up with.

Unless those aren't taps and instead are for softserve in which case mystery solved and I can't decide if that's awesome or terrible :P

The thing is, that is a more expensive and much dumber solution than what my in-laws did, which was build a “solarium” around their pool. Essentially a plexiglass canopy and walls. So they can swim whenever and keep most of the bugs out.

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

The thing is, that is a more expensive and much dumber solution than what my in-laws did, which was build a “solarium” around their pool. Essentially a plexiglass canopy and walls. So they can swim whenever and keep most of the bugs out.

Ok, sure, but how many power cords do they have running through their pool?

Ok, random homeowner griping time. In a fairly new build home, three of our four basement window wells are pristine, while one has this bizarre pattern of full-thickness rust eroding holes across it. Apparently if your builder does not check the installation of window well liners properly and allows the anchoring bolts to contact the house's foundation rebar or other interior metal elements, it will gradually corrode the entire window well through absorptive electrolysis. Turns the whole liner into a sacrificial anode to the house's cathode. Which is a very cool high school science fair project, but expensive as shit to fix because you have to have to dig out the entire window well and redo it with a slightly larger well re-anchored off the frame.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    That cord is likely the cord for a pool cleaning bot.

nibXTE7.png
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Ok, random homeowner griping time. In a fairly new build home, three of our four basement window wells are pristine, while one has this bizarre pattern of full-thickness rust eroding holes across it. Apparently if your builder does not check the installation of window well liners properly and allows the anchoring bolts to contact the house's foundation rebar or other interior metal elements, it will gradually corrode the entire window well through absorptive electrolysis. Turns the whole liner into a sacrificial anode to the house's cathode. Which is a very cool high school science fair project, but expensive as shit to fix because you have to have to dig out the entire window well and redo it with a slightly larger well re-anchored off the frame.

I'm reminded of the death message in Nethack if you pour water into a potion of acid - "killed by elementary chemistry".

Based on some of the other "choices" seen there, I'm going to assume they just slapped a snorkel and extension cord on an old Roomba and threw it in there.

That is an extension cord. You can see the union point towards the end.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

It's something like this.

163234_0_201852165647.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021

Looking at it closely I'm almost wondering if those two spigot things on the right end are taps for kegs. If the cabinet on the left was a liquor cabinet and they threw a lot of parties it would almost make sense as a mixing station for drinks. Overkill sized for sure but that's about all I can come up with.

Unless those aren't taps and instead are for softserve in which case mystery solved and I can't decide if that's awesome or terrible :P

That's an old fashioned soda fountain with trays for toppings and the spouts for syrups (chocolate, cherry, etc.). The taps would be for soda water. There's a a tray on the far left and the sliding cover for the ice cream tubs and dairy.

Same setup i worked behind as a soda jerk in Jr High.

MichaelLC on

It's something like this.

163234_0_201852165647.jpg

That might be what’s attached, but if you look, in the water you can see where the extension cord meets up with whatever it is connected too...that union is not a water tight seal, and I bet that extension cord isn’t rated for fully submerged.

If you're talking about the thing in the bottom right, it's the same as that blue blob on the picture, it's a float to keep the cord off the bottom of the pool near the bot so it doesn't get sucked up. That's why the section of cord is poking out of the water.

nibXTE7.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Its only 120 so it's gonna trip a breaker long before it kills anyone. Not great, not terrible.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Its only 120 so it's gonna trip a breaker long before it kills anyone. Not great, not terrible.

You sure it’s actually 120, or is 120 just the max reading for your voltmeter?

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
This discussion has been closed.