As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    First Time Gun Owner / Complete Novice Experience!
    To reiterate, I shot a gun for the first time about one year ago. Prior to that I had never held a gun, owned a gun, or even lived in a house where guns were kept. I think the only time I had ever even been in the same room as a gun before a year ago was in college at a buddies house after hitting all the local bars. He pulled out a hand gun and asked if I wanted to hold it. I told him I absolutely did not and excused myself and left. We never hung out together again, but unsure if that was related to my reaction.

With that said, I was one hundred percent in favor of stricter gun control. Guns, to me, were things that were made to kill other people and I felt if we had fewer of those things around, it would probably be a good idea. I recognize now that my beliefs were rooted more in fear of guns themselves, fear of 'gun culture', and a broad naivete.

March, 2020 made me think about getting a gun for the first time. I had a three year old little girl and my wife was pregnant with our second. We had bought a house about 25 minutes from nearest police station and I started thinking, "Well, if anyone were to try and harm my family there's likely nothing I could really do about it." I say that fully understanding the likelihood of someone targeting our home, while we were home, and who decided to enter anyway (after knowing the house was occupied) is astronomically low. But, as I've learned with a lot of things, its different when you're thinking about your own family.

I sought the advice of this thread and an old friend of mine who is an avid shooter and came up with a game plan.

I took two hour long introductory classes at my local range where I learned the four rules of shooting, basic stance technique, and safety rules. I went back and forth from getting a shotgun versus handgun, because again - this was to be strictly for home defense and target shooting. I got swung to a handgun because it became clear it would be far easier to train with a handgun than shotgun. Safety and training was, and still is, my number one goal. I filled out the paperwork for a 'Permit to Purchase', which took about two weeks to be completed, and I put my order in at the range and waited...about seven months with it not showing up. Not entirely sure if that was just a ripple effect of global commerce and manufacturing collapsing during COVID 19 or what, but I finally found one online at a not terrible markup and had it shipped to the range for transfer.

I finally got my hands on my Glock 19 Gen 5 in December, 2020 and found out that...ammunition wasn't available anywhere locally. The range reserves one 50 round box of ammunition per person per range session, which is what I was shooting weekly until this thread thankfully introduced me to the In Stock Ammo thread on reddit. I cannot thank this community enough for that because it has been the only source of ammunition I've been able to get my hands on. Since I got some extra ammunition via reddit I've been shooting 100 rounds a week for the last seven weeks or so. I feel a lot more confident in my safety and muzzle discipline.

My 'Permit to Purchase' here in Minnesota is going to expire in the next month. I spoke to the local police department and confirmed via state law that I can legally transfer a firearm provided it is transported unloaded and in a restricted case (I transport mine in the Glock box which has a padlock on it, unloaded with a chamber lock on it, and in my truck bed which as a locked tonneau cover on it and I also keep the original bill of sale and transfer paperwork in that same case). Right now, I don't feel like I have the training or the confidence to have my conceal carry permit, but I might take a class in the next year or so if for no other reason than it makes transporting the gun a little less onerous.

I'd say my overall experience was positive. The regulations to purchase a hand gun didn't feel particularly difficult and most everyone I've met through shooting have been nice and welcoming. I find shooting a lot less intimidating and I'm working very hard on learning the terminology so I don't sound like such a novice. The only negative part of shooting has been encountering some people who are really into GUN CULTURE. There seems to be a sharp division between people who enjoy shooting and are otherwise well rounded and those who have embraced GUNS as a form of self identity and relentless comment on the government, Democrats, and gun control. Those guys make me feel uncomfortable, but that's as far as I'll go into my thoughts on the culture for now.

Double posting because I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart that you are focusing on training and safety in the general use and in persuit of your concealed carry for your firearm.

I know far too many people in real life through work or family who pack heat and think they are dirty Harry while only going plinking a few times a year.

This thread has been one of the few gun "places" that enjoys and has fun in this hobby while still taking things seriously and giving these things the respect they absolutely demand.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    To reiterate, I shot a gun for the first time about one year ago. Prior to that I had never held a gun, owned a gun, or even lived in a house where guns were kept. I think the only time I had ever even been in the same room as a gun before a year ago was in college at a buddies house after hitting all the local bars. He pulled out a hand gun and asked if I wanted to hold it. I told him I absolutely did not and excused myself and left. We never hung out together again, but unsure if that was related to my reaction.

With that said, I was one hundred percent in favor of stricter gun control. Guns, to me, were things that were made to kill other people and I felt if we had fewer of those things around, it would probably be a good idea. I recognize now that my beliefs were rooted more in fear of guns themselves, fear of 'gun culture', and a broad naivete.

March, 2020 made me think about getting a gun for the first time. I had a three year old little girl and my wife was pregnant with our second. We had bought a house about 25 minutes from nearest police station and I started thinking, "Well, if anyone were to try and harm my family there's likely nothing I could really do about it." I say that fully understanding the likelihood of someone targeting our home, while we were home, and who decided to enter anyway (after knowing the house was occupied) is astronomically low. But, as I've learned with a lot of things, its different when you're thinking about your own family.

I sought the advice of this thread and an old friend of mine who is an avid shooter and came up with a game plan.

I took two hour long introductory classes at my local range where I learned the four rules of shooting, basic stance technique, and safety rules. I went back and forth from getting a shotgun versus handgun, because again - this was to be strictly for home defense and target shooting. I got swung to a handgun because it became clear it would be far easier to train with a handgun than shotgun. Safety and training was, and still is, my number one goal. I filled out the paperwork for a 'Permit to Purchase', which took about two weeks to be completed, and I put my order in at the range and waited...about seven months with it not showing up. Not entirely sure if that was just a ripple effect of global commerce and manufacturing collapsing during COVID 19 or what, but I finally found one online at a not terrible markup and had it shipped to the range for transfer.

I finally got my hands on my Glock 19 Gen 5 in December, 2020 and found out that...ammunition wasn't available anywhere locally. The range reserves one 50 round box of ammunition per person per range session, which is what I was shooting weekly until this thread thankfully introduced me to the In Stock Ammo thread on reddit. I cannot thank this community enough for that because it has been the only source of ammunition I've been able to get my hands on. Since I got some extra ammunition via reddit I've been shooting 100 rounds a week for the last seven weeks or so. I feel a lot more confident in my safety and muzzle discipline.

My 'Permit to Purchase' here in Minnesota is going to expire in the next month. I spoke to the local police department and confirmed via state law that I can legally transfer a firearm provided it is transported unloaded and in a restricted case (I transport mine in the Glock box which has a padlock on it, unloaded with a chamber lock on it, and in my truck bed which as a locked tonneau cover on it and I also keep the original bill of sale and transfer paperwork in that same case). Right now, I don't feel like I have the training or the confidence to have my conceal carry permit, but I might take a class in the next year or so if for no other reason than it makes transporting the gun a little less onerous.

I'd say my overall experience was positive. The regulations to purchase a hand gun didn't feel particularly difficult and most everyone I've met through shooting have been nice and welcoming. I find shooting a lot less intimidating and I'm working very hard on learning the terminology so I don't sound like such a novice. The only negative part of shooting has been encountering some people who are really into GUN CULTURE. There seems to be a sharp division between people who enjoy shooting and are otherwise well rounded and those who have embraced GUNS as a form of self identity and relentless comment on the government, Democrats, and gun control. Those guys make me feel uncomfortable, but that's as far as I'll go into my thoughts on the culture for now.

Double posting because I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart that you are focusing on training and safety in the general use and in persuit of your concealed carry for your firearm.

I know far too many people in real life through work or family who pack heat and think they are dirty Harry while only going plinking a few times a year.

This thread has been one of the few gun "places" that enjoys and has fun in this hobby while still taking things seriously and giving these things the respect they absolutely demand.

Well yeah it was started by a crazy southern redneck who has a compound but is also somehow a democrat.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I really appreciate your kind words. I'm a nurse anesthetist and I did my training in Boston where I covered the trauma room. I have a very healthy respect for guns and I want to approach shooting with a similar level of respect.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think that it's yet another example of how people's thoughts and opinions on guns have the potential to change, sometimes radically, once they have the opportunity to handle them firsthand.

People naturally fear what they don't understand (and when you have the ridiculous treatment of guns in film, and lawmakers who think a barrel shroud is "a shoulder thing that goes up", it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't understand guns). I remember being a little surprised the first time I took a pistol down and it was really just a couple pieces of metal. Nothing mysterious, just a tool. An electric can opener has more complicated internals than your average gun.

The current state of panic buying has been detrimental to gun owners on the short term (because everything is either out of stock or 2-5x the price it was a year ago), but because gun owners tend to vote on gun laws, in the long term I think it's going to be a solid benefit. The family man who had never touched a gun before and decides to buy a Glock is good for the gun community. The young woman who lives alone and buys a .380 that she keeps in her purse is good for the gun community. The hyper lefty who buys an AK and goes plinking in the woods is good for the gun community.

We just have to suffer through a couple of years of godawful prices and stock availability, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

I've been shooting one hundred rounds a week and feeling a lot more confident with my 9mm Glock 19 Gen 5.

I want to get an extended magazine release and slide lock but they are sold out everywhere. I want to get like purple something.

Today my range had 9mm 100 Rounds Federal for only $49.99! Natureishealing.gif

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Speaking of purple pistol swag, I've gotta admit that I'm perpetually tempted to pick up the full purple kit for my HK VP40.
    7bwgpkmx2n8a.jpg

My hesitation stems from not being sure I'm ready for the tri-color pistol life (my VP40 has the black barrel but FDE frame).

EDIT - spoiler'd image because of size

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    That looks awesome.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with gunbroker, good or bad?

I've purchased the following from GunBroker:

HK VP40, Sig P320 Compact, Kel-Tec RFB Hunter (24" barrel), and a Panzer Arms BP-12 shotgun

You have to check the specific vendor you're buying from and make sure they're on the up and up, but so far I haven't had a problem with the site.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I purchased my ACR, 590A1 and HK45 off Gunbroker with no problems.

nibXTE7.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Wife picked up a Sig P365 with the night sights recently for her eventual carry weapon, I ended up liking it so much I traded in my SA XD 3.3" for it. Lighter round, but much less hassle to carry. The Springfield was double wide mags and just heavy.

Also, I wish it didn't cost so much to shoot my AR-15 right now :(

Bigity on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Make sure you have an FFL lined up before you bid. Nothing worse than having to scramble to find an FFL because the pawn shop nearest to your house can't be bothered.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Anyone had any long term issues with Stoeger shotguns? I'm thinking about one of their side by side coach models or that home defense 12 gauge and I found a place that has access to a few, maybe.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Anyone had any long term issues with Stoeger shotguns? I'm thinking about one of their side by side coach models or that home defense 12 gauge and I found a place that has access to a few, maybe.

I've only heard good things about Stoeger. IIRC their semiauto guns are inertia operated and so are more reliable than inexpensive gas-operated shotguns, and their pump or break-action guns should be bombproof.

I've heard mixed opinions about Tristar - that they're inexpensive Turkish guns leveraging cheap labor and good import tariffs, or that they're cheap in the other sense - and Remington in the years immediately following the Cerberus buyout had some QA issues

Mossberg is also good to go

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Speaking of shotguns, I really, really wanted a Shockwave until I watched a couple videos of people actually firing them and the concensus seems to be that they are basically impossible to aim.

They are a dumb range toy.

I've heard people say you can get good with them with tons of practice. I'm dubious of that claim.

Just get a proper shotgun with a stock.

I agree the shockwave does not aim well but it does look good.

I do prefer having a solid rubber pad against my shoulder though.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I've heard people say you can get good with them with tons of practice. I'm dubious of that claim.

The inrange guys did tests with shotguns with stocks and without and universally hated the ones without stocks. They were next to useless and somewhat painful to shoot. No appreciable timesaving to get on target either.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    That might be the first thing I get a stamp for, a full stocked short-barrel shotgun

I saw a Remington V3 in walnut with a really dark Parkerized receiver and maybe a 12" barrel and it looked great

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

One of the guys who taught the shotgun class I took way back used to serve in the Coast Guard. He said that the stockless shotguns were basically meant for firing from the hip and firing from the hip was something he trained in due to the close quarters nature of searching a smuggling boat. But he really recommended against stockless shotguns because you can still fire a full stock shotgun from the hip.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's an expensive option (and you'd be chopping the barrel on a ~100 year old firearm), but the M97 makes a good looking SBS:
    PUl7KlB.jpg

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    There’s a brace kit for the Shockwave if you’re dedicated to the loophole or live in a no SBS state.

David Walgas on
    7a2o7un2k4wt.jpg
    I don't really need a shotgun, I just think it looks cool.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Alright so I'm still somewhat wary of posting in here because the last 4 to 5 years has so soured me on general gun culture. But I grew up with the stupid things and I'd like to get back into it and frankly I think it's unfair that the wackadoos get to own shooting. If any place is gonna have reasonable shooters it's here.

I've got a Sig P226 in .40 S&W that I've shot very, very little. I don't like the trigger pull, though, it seems to take about 8 years to fully draw. Does anybody know of any trigger action mods for them? I can't seem to find any but I haven't looked seriously at all.

Also, any consensus on the M&P? I still don't think I actually need to go get a conceal carry but if I did my only actually concealeable handun is my Kimber .45. I know Glocks inside and out though so maybe I should look at a 26 or something.

One of my buddies picked up an M&P .380 Shield EZ as his very first pistol. He decided on that particular pistol after trying out about a dozen different handguns over the course of a month. Between the grip, trigger, felt recoil, and working the slide, it was the most suitable for him over the various subcompact Glocks, Sigs, and Berettas that he also tried out. Last time I talked with him, he'd been really happy with his decision.

The Shockwave looks like a gun I would use to shoot bandits while racing my stagecoach back to town.

One of the employees at my range told me they are hosting some Glock shooting thing in a few weeks and suggested I do it. Anyone have any experience with those kinds of competitions?

Erlkönig wrote: »
    One of my buddies picked up an M&P .380 Shield EZ as his very first pistol. He decided on that particular pistol after trying out about a dozen different handguns over the course of a month. Between the grip, trigger, felt recoil, and working the slide, it was the most suitable for him over the various subcompact Glocks, Sigs, and Berettas that he also tried out. Last time I talked with him, he'd been really happy with his decision.

Biggest thing with pistols (beyond quality and application) is grip and how it feels drawn. Gotta find the pistol that feels good in the hand.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've never fired an M&P but I have held a few and I absolutely hated the Shield. The single stack was too slim. The regular 9mm compact felt great though, if a little of the big side for a carry.

I have a first gen Shield 9mm and it's great. On my ankle with a flush mag it's pretty much invisible. I'm sure part of that is just by virtue of being an ankle holster, but it's still a very concealable gun. The only downsides are the small mag size (7+1 with the flush mag, 8+1 with the extended), the size (without the extended magazine, your pinky likely won't have anything to grip unless you have very small hands, but considering this is a subcompact designed for CC it's not really a downside), and the very stiff slide release (which is mitigated by just going over the top when reloading, which I do anyway). Two out of three of these are solved with the new Shield Plus, which is 12+1 and 13+1 and has a redesigned slide release, but still used all of the original Shield's holsters and accessories. The Plus also comes with a new trigger with a different style of trigger safety. I read an estimation once that the average number of shots fired in a citizen involved self defense shooting is 3, so YMMV, but being able to almost double the amount of rounds you can carry is a very compelling reason to look at the newer version.

They're (normally) pretty cheap - I paid a whopping $289 for my Gen1 around 10 or 11 months ago. God knows what they're selling for now though.

The thing is a lot of fun to shoot, it's very "snappy". Recoil, like with every subcompact, can be an issue just because you have less of your hand gripped to the gun, but at self defense ranges I'm still able to get pretty good groups in a reasonable drawing from concealed. I really like the safety, it's very sturdy and gives you immediate and clear feedback as to whether it is on or off when you are switching. If you're someone that carries with the safety on you'll probably want to handle one before buying to make sure it fits your hand/thumb though. I carry in condition 0 like God intended but I can very easily reach down to my ankle or to my waist or into my armpit and switch it on quickly while knowing that it is on (like when I am about to remove it from its holster when I get home).

It's not everybody's goty all years, but I highly recommend checking one out if you are looking for a CC gun.

Well, I won my gunbroker auction for way less than I was expecting.

Now I'm worried I got a lemon lol.

edited April 2021
    Well, I won my gunbroker auction for way less than I was expecting.

Now I'm worried I got a lemon lol.

I wouldn't worry too much. Provided the vendor has a good rating, it'll likely be fine. For example, I picked up my HK VP40 for $350 (new in box, to boot). It's just the nature of an auction site.

Erlkönig on
    Its more like "Did I make the right choice based off the condition of the item?"

The stock is beat to tell, but everything else seems fine.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    7a2o7un2k4wt.jpg
    I don't really need a shotgun, I just think it looks cool.

Am I wrong in thinking that Terminator 2 is probably single handedly responsible for the sale of like 80% of these?

Funny enough the terminator is about the only one who can use one effectively. His was a lever action though.

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Funny enough the terminator is about the only one who can use one effectively. His was a lever action though.

Which is like 75% of why I keep looking at Chiappa’s 1887 Mare’s Leg 12g

• PeenPeen Registered User regular

I saw a guy in a video trying out the "lever flip reload" that Arnold does in that movie and surprise surprise it's incredibly impractical but it still looks so cool! It's extremely silly but it looks so cool!

How else do you expect to reload your shotgun while riding a motorcycle????

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Does Lever flip reloading somehow not break safe firearm handling rules?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Does Lever flip reloading somehow not break safe firearm handling rules?

It breaks a number of them

it also breaks a number of motorcycle handling rules

The only rule it doesn't break is the rule of cool